Requisites for be made in the mob today

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

furiofromnaples
Full Patched

Requisites for be made in the mob today

Post by furiofromnaples »

1)Italian from father side or full blooded
2)Have relatives in the mob
3)Be a moneymaker or a stone cold killer
4)Ready to done time in jail (even long sentences)

Any other requisites?
glen40
Associate

Re: Requisites for be made in the mob today

Post by glen40 »

I'd add being relatively dimwitted is a pre-req. In today's world there are 1,001 better, easier, smarter, safer ways to earn consistent money than to be in the streets.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

"First of all, you got to be a good liar, a good lowlife, and an imbecile." - John Gotti speaking about professional athletes but it applies to mobsters as well.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:26 am "First of all, you got to be a good liar, a good lowlife, and an imbecile." - John Gotti speaking about professional athletes but it applies to mobsters as well.

Pogo
:lol:
furiofromnaples
Full Patched

Post by furiofromnaples »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:26 am "First of all, you got to be a good liar, a good lowlife, and an imbecile." - John Gotti speaking about professional athletes but it applies to mobsters as well.

Pogo
Are you sure that wasn't he referring to himself?
elasticman
On Record

Post by elasticman »

Being a stone killer is certainly not a requirement in the modern day mob, likely never was.
elasticman
On Record

Post by elasticman »

Sorry I see I misread, I agree with you that there are guys who "put in work" and guys who earn usually. But I would say hardly any of the modern inductees are stone cold killers.
Tonyd621
Full Patched

Post by Tonyd621 »

Its not all bad
Dave65827
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Dave65827 »

I remember Steven McDonald did a documentary where he supposedly interviewed a low level Bonnano enforcer say that they look for earners and not necessarily people that kill other people. He says theirs no trust between mobsters anymore and says himself doesn’t trust anyone

But I’d assume by some act of God you get away with a murder in this day and age you would get inducted I presume
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

I think the more I follow LCN - definitely here in Chicago but I also see it a lot in NYC Philly etc. - the most common pre-requisite in the modern mob may be family relations. In Chicago, its mostly all the sons/grandsons/nephews/cousins and in-laws of real mobsters that appear to be running today's rackets. The guys who get in are related to someone else.

I'm sure its different in NYC, but in Chicago, I think recruiting looks more like secession planning - these guys groom their kids to take over gambling operations or construction companies or sometimes burglary/gambling rings - often not everything is legitimate. It's hard to find a current mobster in Chicago under 60 who is not related to someone higher up.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

elasticman wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:58 am Being a stone killer is certainly not a requirement in the modern day mob, likely never was.
"If you're a good earner, the family doesn't care if you've never seen a gun." - George Freselone
All roads lead to New York.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

SolarSolano wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:38 pm I think the more I follow LCN - definitely here in Chicago but I also see it a lot in NYC Philly etc. - the most common pre-requisite in the modern mob may be family relations. In Chicago, its mostly all the sons/grandsons/nephews/cousins and in-laws of real mobsters that appear to be running today's rackets. The guys who get in are related to someone else.

I'm sure its different in NYC, but in Chicago, I think recruiting looks more like secession planning - these guys groom their kids to take over gambling operations or construction companies or sometimes burglary/gambling rings - often not everything is legitimate. It's hard to find a current mobster in Chicago under 60 who is not related to someone higher up.
Community and sociodemographic dynamics are completely different today, of course, so the recruitment pool is no longer neighborhood tough guys who move up through the ranks based on "merit" -- earning potential and viciousness. My opinion is that in recent decades without a family link you will never be brought in. There are tons of young knuckleheads in the Chicago area who idolize the Outfit, with plenty of Italians among them, but as a wise Chicagoan once famously said "we don't want nobody that nobody sent".

Even a stunad' ex-gangbanger like Paulie Carparelli has family connections, otherwise I doubt he would've ever gotten that close to Solly D.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
GaspipeCasso
Straightened out

Post by GaspipeCasso »

You MUST have an interest in having your own future podcast with a useless co host?
Send word to Vladimir that you have his money, that he should come to the club tomorrow. We'll take care of the rest
Etna
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Etna »

So, do they have a one year trial period for making guys? Or is that just what Franzese went through?
Shellackhead
Full Patched

Post by Shellackhead »

Franzese was probably fast tracked becausecus his dad was one of the top guys in that family & vouched him.