"Johnny Scimini"

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

"Johnny Scimini"

Post by B. »

Scarpa says that a guy named Johnny Scimini was responsible for introducing the Gallo brothers into the Profaci family, and also says that Scimini was an intended target in the attempted murder of Larry Gallo and Tony Abbatemarco.

The only name I could come up with that's close to Scimini would be Johnny Scimone, a Profaci loyalist who was later kidnapped by the Gallos. Is this the same guy and did he switch sides?

Any more info on Scimini or Scimone, whether they're the same guy or not?
AG777
Full Patched

Re: "Johnny Scimini"

Post by AG777 »

Did Scarpa speak Italian? Maybe he was pronouncing the sc like sk, spelling it incorrectly. Maybe the name is Schimini. Just a thought.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Most likely identical to John Scimone. I think it was Scarpa who said that Scimone was a member who was directly assaigned to Joe Magliocco when he was boss.'

Scimone, a South Brooklyn guy was originally part of a "gang" that gained infamy back in 1931 after a shootout that lasted for three hours with the Brooklyn police who had come to a house to arrest them on various charges. The gang consisted of three future "Mafia hall of famers" Scimone, Eugene Uricola and Thomas Contaldo (both later identified as a Genovese members). Two young women were apperently also members of the gang although one of them insisted on that she had been kidnapped by the gang and held captive in the house.

Very bad quality of photo I know, but John Scimone can be seen sitting to the left.

In 1965, Scimone was wanted by Italian authorities who had launched an investigation trying to link the Italian Mafia with the one in the US. Scimone was described as a Sicilian born American and former body guard of Joseph Profaci.
There you have it, never printed before.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Thanks, Harry. It does seem that Scimini is Scimone, but I would be curious what his relationship with the Gallos actually was. Most of the info I can find on Scimone (which may not be accurate) has him as a diehard Profaci loyalist, whereas Scarpa has "Scimini" as someone who was close to the Gallos and continued to support them through the attempt on Larry Gallo.
AG777
Full Patched

Post by AG777 »

HK This is why you are The Man. You have answers. Hope you are doing great!
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

B. wrote:Thanks, Harry. It does seem that Scimini is Scimone, but I would be curious what his relationship with the Gallos actually was. Most of the info I can find on Scimone (which may not be accurate) has him as a diehard Profaci loyalist, whereas Scarpa has "Scimini" as someone who was close to the Gallos and continued to support them through the attempt on Larry Gallo.
I´d say he was a Profaci loyalist. I read somewhere that the Gallos were lured to believe that Scimone was with them but that he actually wasn´t. Profaci had planted him there to spy on them. It´s possible that all the members, Scarpa included, were fooled by Scimone´s "closeness" to the Gallos. I don´t remember where I read it but possibly in a book. Five Familys perhaps?

Another interesting thing to know the details on is how exactly Profaci managed to sway Carmine Persico´s loyalty back to him?
AG777 wrote:HK This is why you are The Man. You have answers. Hope you are doing great!
I wish.
Giacomo_Vacari
Straightened out

Post by Giacomo_Vacari »

John Scimone was in Seabastiano Nani crew, after Nani was deported John may have been placed in Frank Profaci crew when Sonny Franzeses was placed in Sally crew, he was good friends with Salvatore Cerrito Of San Jose. After Appalachian, John served as a bodyguard to Joe Profaci. On my the topic of Carmine Persico and Joe Profaci. I heard Profaci promised to make Persico acting Capo of Sally crew, and give more power to DiBella on the docks, and not take a huge cut from Carmine profits if Persico was able to kill Larry Gallo. The Abbatemarco crew has a lot of history, once Sally became acting Consiglieri in 1963, Joe Colombo became Capo of that crew. When Joe Colombo became boss, he made Carmine Persico and Larry Gallo Capos. I wish we knew more on that crew, as Sally was already a Capo by the early 1950s and most likely absorbed most of Frankie Shots crew when the Gallo brothers killed him.
AlexfromSouth
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by AlexfromSouth »

HairyKnuckles wrote:Most likely identical to John Scimone. I think it was Scarpa who said that Scimone was a member who was directly assaigned to Joe Magliocco when he was boss.'

Scimone, a South Brooklyn guy was originally part of a "gang" that gained infamy back in 1931 after a shootout that lasted for three hours with the Brooklyn police who had come to a house to arrest them on various charges. The gang consisted of three future "Mafia hall of famers" Scimone, Eugene Uricola and Thomas Contaldo (both later identified as a Genovese members). Two young women were apperently also members of the gang although one of them insisted on that she had been kidnapped by the gang and held captive in the house.

Very bad quality of photo I know, but John Scimone can be seen sitting to the left.

In 1965, Scimone was wanted by Italian authorities who had launched an investigation trying to link the Italian Mafia with the one in the US. Scimone was described as a Sicilian born American and former body guard of Joseph Profaci.
Thomas Contaldo was South Brooklyn based?Do you have his early aderesses?
thanks,great post
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

JD wrote:
B. wrote:Scarpa says that a guy named Johnny Scimini was responsible for introducing the Gallo brothers into the Profaci family, and also says that Scimini was an intended target in the attempted murder of Larry Gallo and Tony Abbatemarco.

The only name I could come up with that's close to Scimini would be Johnny Scimone, a Profaci loyalist who was later kidnapped by the Gallos. Is this the same guy and did he switch sides?

Any more info on Scimini or Scimone, whether they're the same guy or not?
B., Scimini was definitely John Scimone. For some reason he was referred to by some CIs (not just Scarpa) as Scimini.
Giacomo_Vacari wrote:John Scimone was in Seabastiano Nani crew, after Nani was deported John may have been placed in Frank Profaci crew when Sonny Franzeses was placed in Sally crew, he was good friends with Salvatore Cerrito Of San Jose. After Appalachian, John served as a bodyguard to Joe Profaci. On my the topic of Carmine Persico and Joe Profaci. I heard Profaci promised to make Persico acting Capo of Sally crew, and give more power to DiBella on the docks, and not take a huge cut from Carmine profits if Persico was able to kill Larry Gallo. The Abbatemarco crew has a lot of history, once Sally became acting Consiglieri in 1963, Joe Colombo became Capo of that crew. When Joe Colombo became boss, he made Carmine Persico and Larry Gallo Capos. I wish we knew more on that crew, as Sally was already a Capo by the early 1950s and most likely absorbed most of Frankie Shots crew when the Gallo brothers killed him.
This is some Mafia Wiki level of 'information' here. I can't help but notice this with most of your posts.

I remember the Bonanno War victim post you made elsewhere that turned up on our forum, where you listed a few supposed victims who weren't even murdered, as part of the conflict or otherwise. You mention Joseph Spadaro being murdered in 1968 and his 'brother' Anthony Spadaro being killed in 1970. Neither one of those guys were murdered, they died natural deaths, and the Spadaros were definitely not brothers and may not have been related at all. A lot of the guys you mention aren't even well known, meaning you didn't just copy and paste the info from somewhere else.

It really looks like you are just taking bits and pieces of known info and adding in a bunch of made up details. If you have any sources post them, otherwise please stop polluting this forum with fan fiction. It does nothing but drag the forum down to gangsterbb level.
Thanks for clarifying that Scimini and Scimone are the same fellow.

And I have also tactfully tried to address this issue with Giacomo as well. It's clear he has accumulated a ton of names and events, way more than you'd expect from a troublemaker, but every time he has been asked to clarify his sources he either references "word of mouth" or some other ambiguous source that we can't track down. He then lays low for a while.

I do my best to get my facts straight and I try to offer unique info when I can, but even I fail at that sometimes and am happy to be corrected. When someone has this much "one of a kind" info on so many different time periods and families and no substantial way to back them up, it draws a lot of red flags.

If you can prove us wrong, Giacomo, please do as this board is among the most open-minded when it comes to new facts and revelations. But along with that open-mindedness comes a standard for trust and reputation. So far you haven't earned either one of those and it would be great if you could step it up and show us that you're not full of BS.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

AlexfromSouth wrote:
thanks,great post
By South Brooklyn I mean the area which includes Carroll Gardens, Cobble Hill, Park Slope, Red Hook etc (original southern geographical position of Brooklyn before Brooklyn expanded further south).
In the newspapers covering the three hour battle with the police, Contaldo´s address is given as 219 1st Street, an address that is non existent today. Some years later, Contaldo´s address is given as 478 Carroll Street. In the 1950s, he lived at 825 Union Street.
AlexfromSouth
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by AlexfromSouth »

HairyKnuckles wrote:
AlexfromSouth wrote:
thanks,great post
By South Brooklyn I mean the area which includes Carroll Gardens, Cobble Hill, Park Slope, Red Hook etc (original southern geographical position of Brooklyn before Brooklyn expanded further south).
In the newspapers covering the three hour battle with the police, Contaldo´s address is given as 219 1st Street, an address that is non existent today. Some years later, Contaldo´s address is given as 478 Carroll Street. In the 1950s, he lived at 825 Union Street.
Yes,ofcourse I understand.Carrol gardens and gowanus were up until the 60s literally considered Red Hook.Love the old history of Bklyn,as im sure you do too.thank you for the adresses HK,you are a buddy.
AlexfromSouth
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by AlexfromSouth »

Im sorry I forgot to ask,what is the adress given for Johnny Scimone?Thanks
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

AlexfromSouth wrote:Im sorry I forgot to ask,what is the adress given for Johnny Scimone?Thanks
492 President Street.
AlexfromSouth
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by AlexfromSouth »

HairyKnuckles wrote:
AlexfromSouth wrote:Im sorry I forgot to ask,what is the adress given for Johnny Scimone?Thanks
492 President Street.

Thank you very much.I read a whille back abou some connection betwen arman rava and harry fontana.Its very interesting to me the relation betwen Gambino and colombos.Could it be that those two were related somehow?
The heart of little italy in south brooklyn at the time seems to be around Montes restaurant,and these adresses are around that area.Very interasting
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

AlexfromSouth wrote:Its very interesting to me the relation betwen Gambino and colombos. Could it be that those two were related somehow?

If you are talking about the families they originally started out as one family in the area before splitting into up. There was a good thread about this relationship a while back.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.