The most interesting of small families?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Rocco
Full Patched

Re: The most interesting of small families?

Post by Rocco »

I think the DeCavs are pretty interesting to be small tight nit .centered in old Sicilian section within Elizbeth. Mostly all from Ribera. Then to exist all these years along side the 5 families in their backyard. Also the Tampa and New Orleans families. How these Sicilians carved out rackets in the deep south. Must have been like My Cousin Vinny when they showed up in town lol
Costigan
Straightened out

Post by Costigan »

As several others have mentioned, I've always had an interest in the mob in California, mostly L.A. It's an interest I developed after reading Jimmy Fratianno's book.
To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Rocco wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:13 pm I think the DeCavs are pretty interesting to be small tight nit .centered in old Sicilian section within Elizbeth. Mostly all from Ribera. Then to exist all these years along side the 5 families in their backyard. Also the Tampa and New Orleans families. How these Sicilians carved out rackets in the deep south. Must have been like My Cousin Vinny when they showed up in town lol
Also interesting about Tampa is the way it was embedded in the local social fabric. Whereas in other cities important LCN associates were Jewish, Irish, Greek, etc in Tampa they had Cubans and Spanish, including apparently in advisory roles to the admin.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
aleksandrored
Full Patched

Post by aleksandrored »

The ones that catch my attention are the families in LA and Pittsburgh, I want to be able to read a book about those families one day.

Rochester seems to be amazing too, is there a book? I found this mini documentary only:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bCimSgnNuA&t=141s
UpstateDapper
Associate

Post by UpstateDapper »

aleksandrored wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:20 pm The ones that catch my attention are the families in LA and Pittsburgh, I want to be able to read a book about those families one day.

Rochester seems to be amazing too, is there a book? I found this mini documentary only:

Yes, there are a few books written on Rochester. I would start with ‘The Hammer Conspiracies’ by Frank Aloi or ‘Rochester Mob Wars’ by Blair Kenny. The latter is more of a compilation of newspaper articles and commentary, but gives a fairly complete albeit not extremely detailed overview of the bloodshed.

The same author has since written more detailed books. I am currently reading ‘Enter The C-Team’ which is the life story of Tom Taylor, a renegade Rochester associate who hired Mad Dog Sullivan when he was trying to take over the rackets in the 80s (kinda like Danny Greene out of Cleveland). There is another book by the daughter of Sammy G Gingello coming out this month which should be interesting as well. He was the most colorful of the city’s mobsters.
BeatiPaoli
Straightened out

Post by BeatiPaoli »

To Everyone: For me, it is Madison. Would like to know its true genesis, and who, if any, of the respectable Italian business community were members. From the limited info, I get an impression the Family "blended in" within the larger social, political,and economic framework.

Regards,
BeatiPaoli
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

BeatiPaoli wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:32 pm To Everyone: For me, it is Madison. Would like to know its true genesis, and who, if any, of the respectable Italian business community were members. From the limited info, I get an impression the Family "blended in" within the larger social, political,and economic framework.

Regards,
BeatiPaoli
From what I've seen it appears they were largely done as a family by the late 1940s but still functioned on a smaller scale.
newera_212
Full Patched

Post by newera_212 »

UpstateDapper wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:02 pm
aleksandrored wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:20 pm The ones that catch my attention are the families in LA and Pittsburgh, I want to be able to read a book about those families one day.

Yes, there are a few books written on Rochester. I would start with ‘The Hammer Conspiracies’ by Frank Aloi or ‘Rochester Mob Wars’ by Blair Kenny. The latter is more of a compilation of newspaper articles and commentary, but gives a fairly complete albeit not extremely detailed overview of the bloodshed.

The same author has since written more detailed books. I am currently reading ‘Enter The C-Team’ which is the life story of Tom Taylor, a renegade Rochester associate who hired Mad Dog Sullivan when he was trying to take over the rackets in the 80s (kinda like Danny Greene out of Cleveland). There is another book by the daughter of Sammy G Gingello coming out this month which should be interesting as well. He was the most colorful of the city’s mobsters.
Where did you get the Hammer Conspiracies? That’s a holy grail book for me and its almost impossible to find. I have a family member who passed a few years ago with an insane book collection, she said she had that one, but I wasnt able to find it the one time her daughter let me rummage through everything. That’s literally the closest ive gotten to even seeing it, outside of paying hundreds of dollars on Amazon
FriendofHenry
Full Patched

Post by FriendofHenry »

You may want to try this one - Crime Town USA, Youngstown, Ohio, was split between Cleveland and Pittsburgh with Pittsburgh winning out.

Allan R. May: Crimetown U.S.A. : The History of the Mahoning ...https://www.amazon.com › Allan-May-Crimetown-U-S-...

"Never walk in a room unless you know your way out" - Henry Zottola
ChicagoOutfit
Straightened out

Post by ChicagoOutfit »

Detroit if they’re considered small. Particularly would like to know how recent their reach into Toledo, OH was.

UT basketball & football we’re throwing games in the early 2000s and the convicted names were said to have links to the Syrian/Lebanese mobsters operating within the Detroit Mafia.
UpstateDapper
Associate

Post by UpstateDapper »

newera_212 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:38 pm

Where did you get the Hammer Conspiracies? That’s a holy grail book for me and its almost impossible to find. I have a family member who passed a few years ago with an insane book collection, she said she had that one, but I wasnt able to find it the one time her daughter let me rummage through everything. That’s literally the closest ive gotten to even seeing it, outside of paying hundreds of dollars on Amazon
I bought it from Frank Aloi personally. I couldn’t get my hands on it until last year when he introduced a new batch of old paperbacks to the market (which dropped the price significantly)c apparently he’d been storing them away for 40 years. People bought most up already, but there are still some available on Amazon for $80.

https://www.amazon.com/Hammer-Conspirac ... 0866490469
newera_212
Full Patched

Post by newera_212 »

UpstateDapper wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:03 pm
newera_212 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:38 pm

I bought it from Frank Aloi personally. I couldn’t get my hands on it until last year when he introduced a new batch of old paperbacks to the market (which dropped the price significantly)c apparently he’d been storing them away for 40 years. People bought most up already, but there are still some available on Amazon for $80.

https://www.amazon.com/Hammer-Conspirac ... 0866490469

awesome I havent checked in a while. much more reasonable than what it was going for a few years ago. good looking out
BeatiPaoli
Straightened out

Post by BeatiPaoli »

To Cavita: I have a great deal of respect for your breadth and depth of knowledge of the subject matter here, but could you possible expand upon the comment you made regarding Madison: "From what I've seen it appears they were largely done as a family by the late 1940s but still functioned on a smaller scale." I know from reading the Mary Farrell site, they were a Family until the early Seventies, and then I believe they took a vote to disband in (?) 1971, where only 2 of the 10 or 12 members still left of the Madison Family did not want to disband.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Regards,
BeatiPaoli
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

BeatiPaoli wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:47 am To Cavita: I have a great deal of respect for your breadth and depth of knowledge of the subject matter here, but could you possible expand upon the comment you made regarding Madison: "From what I've seen it appears they were largely done as a family by the late 1940s but still functioned on a smaller scale." I know from reading the Mary Farrell site, they were a Family until the early Seventies, and then I believe they took a vote to disband in (?) 1971, where only 2 of the 10 or 12 members still left of the Madison Family did not want to disband.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Regards,
BeatiPaoli
Yes, they officially disbanded by 1971 but prior to that they hadn't really been involved in anything big for at least a decade before. Rockford members would travel to Madison for some gambling games which I imagine was organized on Madison's end but I believe the members were content to live off legitimate dealings though I do remember they had made at least a couple members in the 1960s so maybe that was a half hearted attempt to keep the family going.
BeatiPaoli
Straightened out

Post by BeatiPaoli »

To Cavita: Thank you very much for the reply! I think it is truly about time you or one of the other knowledgeable researchers here wrote a book on the histories of the Rockford, Springfield, and Madison Families!

Regards,
BeatiPaoli