Scott - Tension in Philly Mob

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Re: Scott - Tension in Philly Mob

Post by Angelo Santino »

Boss of Bosses was good for one reason: Chazz Palmintieri. Everything else about the film was pretty much awful. Castellano, Gambino and Joe Piney fight off the Narducci zips, get recognized by Mistah GenoVASE, while Castellano's mother cries "Poaloooooo!!!" from the store and Connie his childhood sweetheart agrees to marry him as long as he keeps their kids "out of that life."

FBI Discussion:
-Don Carlo is dead. The next Boss is going to be Paul Castellano.
-What about Dellacroce?
-Dellacroce came up with Paul, they go way back but he's not a leader, he's a thug, around Gotti and them animals.
-Joe Piney Armone?
-He's Gambino's consigliere but he's no leader. Castellano was the brains and the advisor. The money gets traced up to capo level and then vanishes. This guy's (Paul's) genius.

Paul & John discussion:
-So John, Neil wants to make you capo of his crew, do you think you're ready?
-Um, yeah, I think I'm ready, as long as it's good for the Family.

Paul & Neil:
-Don't talk to me about tough guys, Neil, when faced with the can they sing better than Pavarotti. Now the rules are-
-Oh the rules! The rules! What rules, Paul? These are gangsters, tough guys! Yer trying to turn this thing of ours into AT&T and it's not! We are what we are Paul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44pkgr1Etdg
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Boss of Bosses was cheesy as hell (the sappy scenes between Castellano and the maid is enough to make you want to gag) but I was entertained.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

One Deadly Road you can only get on VHS im pretty sure. But its really a awesome movie.
HANG IT UP NICKY. ITS TIME TO GO HOME.
brianwellbrock
Straightened out

Post by brianwellbrock »

The Bonnano mini series was entertaining but cheesy as hell. It made Bonnano look like the voi e of reason in everything and everyone else to be babbling idiots. Every scene was everyone screaming at each other than Don Peppino come in and offer up his 2 cents which than everyone would be like "Youre absolutely right!"

Boss of bosses was stupid playing the whole "Keep the kids away" scenario. Trying to make Paul look like a tragic figure.
Borelli
Associate

Post by Borelli »

How about "this thing of ours" by Danny Provenzano? Just kidding.

He has a cartoon about wiseguys coming out. True story. Soprano voiceovers
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

lol, in this thing of ours the guys license plate was CAPO #1. I thought that was funny.
HANG IT UP NICKY. ITS TIME TO GO HOME.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

JeremyTheJew wrote:lol, in this thing of ours the guys license plate was CAPO #1. I thought that was funny.
*Throws hand up in the air: "Ahhh Dis fuckin guya... gonna get us all pinched!"

That was the best part of that whole shitty movie.
joeycigars
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by joeycigars »

Joey Merlino is one of the 3-4 longest reigning Bosses in LCN all time he still has a way to go there will be a movie one day
rayray
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by rayray »

Chris Christie wrote:
JeremyTheJew wrote:lol, in this thing of ours the guys license plate was CAPO #1. I thought that was funny.
*Throws hand up in the air: "Ahhh Dis fuckin guya... gonna get us all pinched!"

That was the best part of that whole shitty movie.

For such a low key guy didn't Carlo Gambino have some kind of personalized license plate?
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

joeycigars wrote:Joey Merlino is one of the 3-4 longest reigning Bosses in LCN all time he still has a way to go there will be a movie one day

Maybe a movie about his public lifestyle as opposed to his "don" position. Whether he has been in the main chair the whole time is open for interpretation, but he certainly has had trouble staying on the street. Even if a boss is in the big chair while incarcerated, how effective could that actually be? The REAL credit goes to Ligambi IMHO, he was on the street giving directives and keeping order and managed to beat his RICO trial. But to put Merlino up there with the likes of long reigning dons is a misrepresentation. How long do you say he was boss? He's got ways to go before he is put on a pedastal with these guys:

Stefano Maggadino- 52 years (1922-1974)
Carlos Marcello- 42 years (1948-1989)
Joe Zerilli- 41 years (1936-1977)
Joe Bonanno- 37 years (1931-1968)
Russell Bufalino- 35 years (1959-1994)
Tony Accardo- 35 years (1957-1992)
Jack Tocco- 35 years (1979-2014)
Ray Patriarca- 34 years (1950-1984)
Santo Traficante- 33 years (1954-1987)
Jimmy Lanza- 33 years at least (1961-1994 at least) He died in 2006
John Scalish- 32 years (1944-1976)
Frank Balistrieri- 32 years (1961-1993)
Nick Civella- 30 years (1953-1983)
John LaRocca- 28 years (1956-1984)
Jack Dragna- 25 years (1931-1956)
Vincent Gigante- 24 years (1981-2005)
Mike Genovese - 22 years (1984-2006)
Angelo Bruno- 21 years (1959-1980)
Joe Todaro Sr- 21 years (1985-2006)
Joe Cerrito- 19 years (1959-1978)

***Joey doesn't compare to this list of bosses with long reigns. While I give him credit for doing his sentence like a man, one has to truly wonder Joey's role in any success that Philly has had from a criminal standpoint.
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
joeycigars
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by joeycigars »

I would put Merlinos reign at about 21-23 years and still going , Depends how you count his ascension to boss , And some wont count years in prison I would ,and also count the the Natale years are all Joey , Also when the winning faction didn't recognize Stanfa thats when it started IMO
joeycigars
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by joeycigars »

JCB1977 thats a kick ass list to be on and Merlino is in there although not close to the top but that can happen
joeycigars
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by joeycigars »

JCB1977 You can give all the credit you want to Ligambi on the street and he did a great job of keeping the seat warm , But with out Merlinos crew and street balls taking over the Philly Mob and holding on to it , There would be no Ligambi as Boss
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Cigars,

I've spoken my peace, I made my point, I gave my opinion. Different times, those guys "ran the city, true Godfathers." Joey never ran the city of Philadelphia...Bruno did. And so did all the others. Joey has a slice of Philly and a few things in NJ, he's a tough guy, not a businessman. Sophisticated he is not...in the least bit. My two cents.
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP