Cleveland Crime Family

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

cavita
Full Patched

Re: Cleveland Crime Family

Post by cavita »

So in 1980 the FBI listed Madison as a viable family when their files from 1973 had information that they disbanded. This is what I find confusing about FBI information- some things are not clear.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Wiseguy wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:25 pm It was but you have to go back 40 years to find it.

1980 FBI List

Boston-Providence
Buffalo
Chicago
Cleveland
Detroit
Los Angeles
New York (5)
New Orleans
Philadelphia
San Francisco
San Jose
Denver-Pueblo (inactive)
Kansas City
Pittsburgh
St. Louis
Pittston-Scranton-Wilkes Barre
Tucson
Rockford
Madison
Elizabeth-Newark
Springfield, IL (inactive)
Tampa

Good find. Some interesting things.

-They list Springfeild as inactive but don't bother to list Dallas. Madison was listed (not as inactive) even though they had in their files that it had disbanded several years before.

-They didn't list Rochester even though the Feds were all over them at the time. Maybe just an oversight when compiling the list.

-They list Denver-Pueblo as inactive in 1980 but continue to recognize them in 1987 and 1992. Though they did bring a case against the Denver leaders in 1984 so maybe that led to their change in status.

Pogo
Last edited by Pogo The Clown on Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

cavita wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:39 pm So in 1980 the FBI listed Madison as a viable family when their files from 1973 had information that they disbanded. This is what I find confusing about FBI information- some things are not clear.
It's why I make a distinction between FBI intel from the 1980s-onward and before that.
All roads lead to New York.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:42 pm
Wiseguy wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:25 pm It was but you have to go back 40 years to find it.

1980 FBI List

Boston-Providence
Buffalo
Chicago
Cleveland
Detroit
Los Angeles
New York (5)
New Orleans
Philadelphia
San Francisco
San Jose
Denver-Pueblo (inactive)
Kansas City
Pittsburgh
St. Louis
Pittston-Scranton-Wilkes Barre
Tucson
Rockford
Madison
Elizabeth-Newark
Springfield, IL (inactive)
Tampa

Good find. Some interesting things.

-They list Springfeild as inactive but don't bother to list Dallas. Madison was listed (not as inactive) even though they had in their files that it had disbanded several years before.

-They didn't list Rochester even though the Feds were all over them at the time. Maybe just an oversight when compiling the list.

-They list Denver-Pueblo as inactive in 1980 but continue to recognize them in 1987 and 1992. Though they did bring a case against the Denver leaders in 1984 so maybe that led to their change in status.

Pogo
This was the 1988 list -

Buffalo
Chicago
Cleveland
Denver
Detroit
Kansas City
Los Angeles
Milwaukee
New England
New Jersey
New Orleans
New York (5)
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Pittston
Rochester
San Francisco
San Jose
St. Louis
Tampa
Tucson
All roads lead to New York.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Been going through telephone records that came out of the La Stella investigation and in 1966 Tampa boss Santo Trafficante Jr. called the home of Carmen Milano in Ohio. Carmen Milano was married to the daughter of Cleveland member Stefano Randazzo (from Carini), who had ties to Tampa.

--

Info on Ohio and regional protocol from Fratianno's testimony at the 1984 hearing:

Q: Is there a lot of involvement by organized crime in medical services in Ohio, in that area of Ohio, as you know?
A: Absolutely.
Q: For example?
A: A guy by the name of Camino has some in Columbus, Ohio. Another kid, by the name of Montana has some dental clinic in Buffalo.

Q: Commissioner Hope asked you a question, you are interested in a dental clinic. Why would the Los Angeles family have an interest in a dental clinic in Ohio and you said that was a way to make money.
THE CHAIRMAN: He said he comes from there.
A: I wouldn't care if it was in Timbuktu. If I had the connection to get union members, I would go anyplace, although if it was in a town where there was a family, I would have to go to them and get, you know, get their approval and chances are whatever money it would make they would get a percentage of it.
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

What about Tucson? Was there an actual family there led by Joe Bonanno? Didn’t he write a book in the 80’s? The commission definitely did not recognize them as a family
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

The Commission didn't recognize Rochester or Tucson.

Even if you go with "functional" or "viable" as your definition instead of who is recognized by other families, Tucson wouldn't belong on that list in the early 1970s let alone 1988.

Info on them here:
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=3115&start=10#p64342
Stroccos
Full Patched

Post by Stroccos »

Grouchy Sinatra wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:13 pm Pretty easy to find out if the mob exists in any particular location, or who the mob is there. Just start a sports book.
Or in Cleveland’s case vending company , the feds started one in the 90’s and busted some people

Cleveland was A open town after jack died
"if he's such A sports wizard , whys he tending bar ?" Nicky Scarfo
JVerilla
Honorary Member

Post by JVerilla »

Interesting bit on Murgie, done a bit of researching and it seems Joe Sonkens was a hit for the Burgh mobsters.
Jo Jo's Grand daughter allegedly used to visit there every holidays with Joseph, and after church they'd head over to Uncle John's house, who im assuming is LaRocca.
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

B. wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:41 pm
Costigan wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:24 pm
johnny_scootch wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:07 pm This situation reminds me of a guy that was from Montreal but moved out to LA where he owned a very successful car dealership and he was made by the LA family. If I remember correctly he was almost totally legitimate and after being made he was looking for someone to go back to Montreal with him and introduce him around to all the guys he knew out there as a made guy. This is all from The Last Mafioso, I can't seem to recall the name and I don't have access to the book because I'm not at home. So if this Canadian Iavarone was really made in LA he wouldn't be the first.
Dominic Longo, who owned a Toyota dealership. I was in LA on business a few times in the 1990's & was surprised to see the logo "Longo Toyota" on cars even then.
Those Longos are connected to the Buffalo family actually and are from Hamilton. Stefano Magaddino was recorded discussing them on his office tapes. We talked about them on here a couple years ago here:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3340&p=71636

Some of the details still need to be sorted out, but it appears Dominick Longo was associated with John Papalia in Ontario.

I had no idea Fratianno talked about Dominick Longo. He said he was made into the LA family? A couple people in that old thread even said he was an LA member.

Don't know if this doc helps figure anything out but, "Source stated that although [reacted] Dominic Longo is a member of the Los Angeles LCN Family, and although [redacted] Johnny Pops it is still necessary that he gets permission from Buffalo [redacted]. And then next page gives an example of "the Buffalo famly's"control over the Toronto LCN members." Looks like Longo was friends with Sam Pieri as well.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Incredible find, relevant to discussions in the Buffalo thread.

The placement of those redactions might suggest a relation or perhaps business arrangement between Longo and Papalia and/or Pieri (I'd lean toward the former, as redactions tend to favor people rather than operations, though there is no exact science). There could also be a redacted name within those sections. Difficult to tell, but just my thoughts having reviewed thousands of similar documents over the years.

It also confirms the territorial protocol (which we already assumed, based on standard mafia protocol) that members must have Buffalo approval to operate in Ontario and that Dominic Longo stayed involved in Ontario to some capacity after becoming an LA member.

Great eye, Nickle!