General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

PolackTony
Filthy Few

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by PolackTony »

Also, Red Wemette stated that Catuara was a capo, at least during the time he knew him personally. Maybe he was a capo in the vein of Ray Curto on the Sopranos, with no real crew under him.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:53 pm Also, Red Wemette stated that Catuara was a capo, at least during the time he knew him personally. Maybe he was a capo in the vein of Ray Curto on the Sopranos, with no real crew under him.
I think when Joe Guzzino and John Roberts were out of the picture, it was Catuara who inherited their areas around C City and the Heights, and i also believe that he controlled his own crew which possibly included Gus Rubino, Guido Fidanzi, Pete Gushi, Sam, Richard and Nick Guzzino and also dont forget the chop shop guys like Richie Ferraro, Sam Annerino and others. Other possible associates of Catuaras crew were James Maniatis, Patsy and William Marzano and also Luigi DiFonzo.

I also believe that Ralph Emery and Al Pilotto controlled a separate crew but still under LaPortes jurisdiction OR they also belonged to Catuara....

Theres also one story that Dauber first started under Catuara but later switched sides and went with Tocco
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

PolackTony wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:53 pm Also, Red Wemette stated that Catuara was a capo, at least during the time he knew him personally. Maybe he was a capo in the vein of Ray Curto on the Sopranos, with no real crew under him.
The FBI was confused on Catuara's rank and association. In some files he was with Chicago Heights, in another he was under Buccieri, under Gux Alex, in another he was taking orders from Alderisio, and in others he was either under Skids Caruso or the capo of Chinatown. As we've noted before, some informants were better than others, and information was usually given on a need-to-know basis. The FBI were terrible at asking questions, especially of a historical nature. In my opinion, however, the best evidence is that Catuara was a powerful lieutenant of Skids Caruso in the Chinatown crew.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Antiliar wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:21 am
The FBI was confused on Catuara's rank and association. In some files he was with Chicago Heights, in another he was under Buccieri, under Gux Alex, in another he was taking orders from Alderisio, and in others he was either under Skids Caruso or the capo of Chinatown. As we've noted before, some informants were better than others, and information was usually given on a need-to-know basis. The FBI were terrible at asking questions, especially of a historical nature. In my opinion, however, the best evidence is that Catuara was a powerful lieutenant of Skids Caruso in the Chinatown crew.
What about the 1940s/50s photos of Catuara standing beside the seated John Roberto....or Catuaras photo with Dom Palermo and John Nicastro....or the one with Catuara, Roberto, Tuffaneli and Pilotto...i dont see any Chinatown members on any of the pics. Also, i think ive already showed you at least a dozen of files in the past confirming Catuaras membership in the Heights crew. I think the answer is simple, meaning Catuara switched crews after being released from jail during the early/mid 40s
Last edited by Villain on Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

As a remind...heres few that i found with a quick search....

Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Villain wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:46 am
What about the 1940s/50s photos of Catuara standing beside the seated John Roberto....or Catuaras photo with Dom Palermo and John Nicastro....or the one with Catuara, Roberto, Tuffaneli and Pilotto...i dont see any Chinatown members on any of the pics. Also, i think ive already showed you at least a dozen of files in the past confirming Catuaras membership in the Heights crew. I think the answer is simple, meaning Catuara switched crews after being released from jail during the early/mid 40s
In addition, after Ferraros death, in 1964 Alderisio was the top rep for the West Side and in 1965/1966, he was the Outfits' underboss and so it was obvious for a capo like Catuara to ask permission from him while involved in a joint operation (read carefully the situation between Alderisio and Catuara). Catuara grew up around Chinatown which explains his connections to Alex and Caruso. The rest of the info shows that Catuara was under LaPorte and shared all of the proceedings.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

The only thing I’ll add is that Red told me himself that Catuara was a capo; he was unequivocal about this. Not that this means we should accept his claim as Gospel truth, of course, but Red was close to Catuara, so it’s something to at least consider.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

PolackTony wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:44 am
The only thing I’ll add is that Red told me himself that Catuara was a capo; he was unequivocal about this. Not that this means we should accept his claim as Gospel truth, of course, but Red was close to Catuara, so it’s something to at least consider.
It depends on how one wants to define "capo." I think there has been confusion, especially among associates, about who were actual "capos," and who were guys that had crews but not the official rank of "capo." I think that early on there were less (4 or 5) and then when the Outfit "shrunk" in the 70s and 80s and took on a look that was more in line with "traditional" LCN families, they increased the number of capos and more clearly delineated between those with that rank and those without.
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

Wasn't Cataura born in Italy or is that wrong? Anyone know whether he was Sicilian? I was always curious whether Tocco was the main one behind his demise at that point. I also wonder if the attempted hit on Al Pilotto in 81' played into this mystery of what was going on in the 70s/early 80s.

Also gotta say fellas this thread has been excellent over the last few weeks and really enjoy all the knowledge and interesting questions.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

SolarSolano wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:21 am Wasn't Cataura born in Italy or is that wrong? Anyone know whether he was Sicilian? I was always curious whether Tocco was the main one behind his demise at that point. I also wonder if the attempted hit on Al Pilotto in 81' played into this mystery of what was going on in the 70s/early 80s.

Also gotta say fellas this thread has been excellent over the last few weeks and really enjoy all the knowledge and interesting questions.
He was originally Vincenzo Catuara, born in 1905 in Italy. He legally changed his name to James at his naturalization in 1929, at which time he was already living in Chinatown on Emerald near 26th. According to Wemette, Catuara still had a strong Italian accent when he knew him.

I’m not 100% certain, but I believe that Catuara was born in Sant’Angelo Muxaro, Agrigento.

Per Wemette, Catuara was told by the admin to back down in his beef with the Heights and refused. He was then hit by the Grand Ave crew, as Lombardo was the “street boss”/enforcer.
Last edited by PolackTony on Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

I'm mostly focusing on the last ten years or so of Catuara's life. I don't have an issue with him being part of the Heights crew before that, but even then there's questions. During the time he was supposedly part of the Heights crew he was also an "enforcer" for the Buccieri crew. Maybe Catuara was "loaned out" for hits and other jobs just like the Calabrese brothers helped kill Butch Petrocelli and others who weren't part of Chinatown.

In the 1930s he was said to be an underling of Jimmy Belcastro. Another associate then was William Palermo. I notice that Dominic "Tootsie" Palermo had an older brother named William, so if it's the same guy there's a long association there.

Anyways, maybe he switched to Chinatown after Frank LaPorte died in 1972, and if that's the case, maybe he wanted to keep his old rackets in the Heights and the new capo of the Heights, Al Pilotto, told him he couldn't operate there anymore. Maybe Henry Pilotto, Al Pilotto's brother and the police chief of the Heights, helped to push Catuara out.

And Vincenzo "Jimmy" Catuara was born in San Angelo, Italy - apparently Monte San Angelo in Apulia, Foggia, Italy.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:13 pm
I'm mostly focusing on the last ten years or so of Catuara's life. I don't have an issue with him being part of the Heights crew before that, but even then there's questions. During the time he was supposedly part of the Heights crew he was also an "enforcer" for the Buccieri crew. Maybe Catuara was "loaned out" for hits and other jobs just like the Calabrese brothers helped kill Butch Petrocelli and others who weren't part of Chinatown.

In the 1930s he was said to be an underling of Jimmy Belcastro. Another associate then was William Palermo. I notice that Dominic "Tootsie" Palermo had an older brother named William, so if it's the same guy there's a long association there.

Anyways, maybe he switched to Chinatown after Frank LaPorte died in 1972, and if that's the case, maybe he wanted to keep his old rackets in the Heights and the new capo of the Heights, Al Pilotto, told him he couldn't operate there anymore. Maybe Henry Pilotto, Al Pilotto's brother and the police chief of the Heights, helped to push Catuara out.

And Vincenzo "Jimmy" Catuara was born in San Angelo, Italy - apparently Monte San Angelo in Apulia, Foggia, Italy.
Do you have any documentation for him being born in Foggia? In his WW2 draft registration card Catuara (still living on S. Emerald) listed his birthplace as “St. Angelo, Sicily”. Pretty sure he was born 1905 in Sant’Angelo Muxaro, Agrigento. I haven’t been able to confirm his birth record, but the surname Catuara is certainly recorded in SAM, as well as neighboring comuni like Santo Stefano Quisquina, Santa Elisabetta, etc.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

PolackTony wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:27 pm
Do you have any documentation for him being born in Foggia? In his WW2 draft registration card Catuara (still living on S. Emerald) listed his birthplace as “St. Angelo, Sicily”. Pretty sure he was born 1905 in Sant’Angelo Muxaro, Agrigento. I haven’t been able to confirm his birth record, but the surname Catuara is certainly recorded in SAM, as well as neighboring comuni like Santo Stefano Quisquina, Santa Elisabetta, etc.
No, I missed the Sicily part so just typed into Google and that's what came up. I think you're correct. In fact, when I looked at my old downloads that's what I have.

As for Catuara's position in the Outfit, according to his FBI file (I only have sections 5 through 7 to cut costs) he was with Chicago Heights, then he was to retire in late 1974, then in early 1975 he was a capo, then in October 1976 he was responsible for contracts and deals under/with Skids Caruso, then in early 1978 Angelo La Pietra took over his position. Also, in April 1958, "Skip" Caruso was in charge of gambling in Chinatown and over Catuara.

In Frank "Skid" Caruso's FBI file, Catuara is mentioned in 1965 as a partner of Caruso's and both were under Gus Alex. There's a lot more, but generally in Caruso's file, Catuara is under Caruso. Elsewhere, in the FBI's organizational structure chart for 1969, Catuara is a capo, evidently replacing Frank LaPorte from the 1960 chart. Caruso isn't listed at all. Jack Cerone and Sam Battaglia are also missing from the 1960 chart. As I said, before, the FBI is only as good as its informants, and some informants were better than others. They also weren't historians. They were attorneys working in law enforcement who were primarily interested in prosecutions.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

One file says that Catuara was partner of Caruso and another says that he and LaPietra were EMPLOYED by Caruso to help him collect. Alex did the same thing, meaning when he lost most of his enforcers, he reached out to a different crew for help.

Catuara grew up in Chinatown and knew every Outfit guy who also grew up in that same area. When Catuara switched to the Chicago Heights crew, he never relinquished his old interests around Chinatown and the south, and this is where the whole confusion comes from.

The same thing happened when Pinelli and Morgano became the new leaders of the Indiana crew but never relinquished all of their old interests around the Near North Side.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Villain wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:02 am One file says that Catuara was partner of Caruso and another says that he and LaPietra were EMPLOYED by Caruso to help him collect. Alex did the same thing, meaning when he lost most of his enforcers, he reached out to a different crew for help.

Catuara grew up in Chinatown and knew every Outfit guy who also grew up in that same area. When Catuara switched to the Chicago Heights crew, he never relinquished his old interests around Chinatown and the south, and this is where the whole confusion comes from.

The same thing happened when Pinelli and Morgano became the new leaders of the Indiana crew but never relinquished all of their old interests around the Near North Side.
Catuara’s exact rank and affiliation at various points in time will remain something of a mystery I think. Unless and until I see new info and/or exceptionally persuasive arguments, my opinion regarding Catuara is as follows. He was made sometime in the 1930s under Jimmy Belcastro (and interesting to note, of course, that both bore the moniker “the bomber”). After Belcastro, Catuara remained under Ferraro/Alex, possibly answering directly to Caruso or (as I suspect) partnered with the latter. Given the photo evidence that we have, Catuara likely had significant juice and other interests around the South ‘burbs, though personally suspect that, at least for a while, Catuara was partnered with the Heights crew (i.e. “splitting the pie”) as per some of the info that you posted above, Catuara seems to still have been under Ferraro/Alex through the ‘60s. In the 60s/early 70s, it’s possible that Catuara was answering to Laporte. While it’s certainly possible, I’m not convinced that this was so, as one of the above reports stated that Catuara and Laporte were “at odds on the ‘cutting up’ of profits in Laporte’s section”. While this is but one piece of evidence, it suggests that Catuara and Laporte were partnered, as other crews did when one guy was operating in another capos territory.

Either way, at some point I think it’s very likely that Catuara was promoted to capo (acknowledging Snakes’s important reservations about associate claims as to capo status). I still think that after Ferraro died, the Southside faction fell into disarray, which may have led to two successor crews under Caruso and Catuara, respectively. With the usual caveats, I’ll report that Red told me very clearly that, at least while Wemette was around him, Catuara did not answer to Laporte, but was a capo and thus they were at least formally peers.