Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

SantoClaus
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: Buffalo/Ontario Mob Acitivity

Post by SantoClaus »

Thought this is a useful article regarding the deaths timeline since 2005-2020 relate to the Mob War in Canada.
https://gangsterreport.com/bullet-point ... 2005-2020/

In addition here is the Biker War timeline, you will observe that there is only a couple year gap in action, a Controni is killed during it, as well as a pair of Grevasis.

https://gangsterreport.com/the-quebec-b ... r-kingdom/
“To know and not to do, is not to know”
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

SantoClaus wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:27 am Interesting article on Carmine Verducci, lots of personal information.

https://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2014 ... ridge.html

“ Verduci’s murder is a loud message to his old associates in the GTA and Hamilton underworld, police officers who specialize in organized crime said Friday.“

“ The slaying comes after several visits to the GTA from two senior members of the old Rizzuto crime family this year.”

“ Verduci headed his own street crew, which was active in the GTA and Hamilton. “He had his own little army of guys,” a police source said.”

“ Verduci was also tied to local Albanian mobsters and the Gambino Mafia family of New York City, according to police.”

The link to the Gambinos/Inzerrillo may provide a link to the Iavarones?
It's incredible to me how this is basically the total opposite of Scoppas description of the war. He said the Calabrians told Vito they had no involvement in the attacks on his family.

Would Vito go to Toronto, meet with these guys, make peace, then he dies and Sollecito hits Verduci? For what?
It would have been more enemies to deal with..... I dunno...
SantoClaus
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by SantoClaus »

CabriniGreen wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:29 am
SantoClaus wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:27 am Interesting article on Carmine Verducci, lots of personal information.

https://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2014 ... ridge.html

“ Verduci’s murder is a loud message to his old associates in the GTA and Hamilton underworld, police officers who specialize in organized crime said Friday.“

“ The slaying comes after several visits to the GTA from two senior members of the old Rizzuto crime family this year.”

“ Verduci headed his own street crew, which was active in the GTA and Hamilton. “He had his own little army of guys,” a police source said.”

“ Verduci was also tied to local Albanian mobsters and the Gambino Mafia family of New York City, according to police.”

The link to the Gambinos/Inzerrillo may provide a link to the Iavarones?
It's incredible to me how this is basically the total opposite of Scoppas description of the war. He said the Calabrians told Vito they had no involvement in the attacks on his family.

Would Vito go to Toronto, meet with these guys, make peace, then he dies and Sollecito hits Verduci? For what?
It would have been more enemies to deal with..... I dunno...
From my perspective and observations, I believe that Rizzuto himself differentiated between the attack on his Family ( Blood = Son, Father, Brother-in-law) and attack on his Family (Business $) as two different things.

One is understandable and forgivable, the other not. Also, that a front whether restaurants, real estate, strip clubs, etc. was suppose to of been built in Hamilton, to help facilitate the distribution of a premium quality of cocaine into Ontario. This would also of been part of the deal struck with NYC prior to Rizzuto returning to Canada.

After Rizzuto died, old hatred resurfaced, as well as the new opportunity to get rich and powerful, but without solid leadership, especially after the murder of Verducci and solid fronts, war came to Hamilton.

Lastly, I feel a State element is often overlooked or not spoken of for the obvious reasons, look to the abduction of Paulo Renda. It’s almost common knowledge that he was abducted by cops or those dressed as cops 👮‍♂️. There was a Hells Angel just murdered in Toronto that was part of a home invasion crew that dressed as cops.

https://www.gangsterismout.com/2021/02/ ... acked.html

Also, maybe a consolidating of the sports book in Ontario, similarly to how Scoppa explains it in Montreal could be another element?
“To know and not to do, is not to know”
calabrianwatch
Straightened out

Post by calabrianwatch »

CabriniGreen wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:14 am
CabriniGreen wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:27 am @ antimafia

When you posted " Ontario crime group representing Montreal"... I'm admittedly lost here.... whom were you referring to? The Violis?
I dont know why this JUST occurred to me, but is this Big Joe Cuntreras outfit? I keep forgetting the Caruana- Cuntreras had a base of ops in Toronto too. This has to be the Ontario crime group representing Montreal, right? That the Musitanos were warned to stay away from?

Or No?

Also, were the Colluccios in with the Rizzutos? I thought they kinda were.... and that's why they became targets of the Figliomenis, by them hitting Carmine Verduci, thus severing the Mother locale Marina Di Gioiosa Jonica from the Toronto ndrine? Thus increasing the Figliomenis power in Toronto?

But who was targeting the Luppino people? Other Calabrese? A rival clan? Marina Di Gioiosa people? People at odds with the Commisso, or Siderno guys in general?

I'm giving Renaud the benefit here with the Violis, they and Dejardins DID meet with Montagna. But he WAS WAY off with the Dejardins shooting.....

The Coluccios brothers have been part of the Siderno group of Ontario in the past 15 years or so.

Families "COMMISSO", "MACRI'" and "FIGLIOMENI" from Siderno (RC), "COLUCCIO" in Gioiosa Ionica (RC) and "BRUZZESE" di Grotteria (RC). COMMISSO Antonio cl. 56 - COMMISSO Francesco cl. 48 - COMMISSO Francesco cl. 56 - COLUCCIO Vincenzo - COLUCCIO Nicola -COMMISSO Rocco Remo - RUSO Domenico together with- FIGLIOMENI Angelo - FIGLIOMENI Cosimo - MACRÌ Vincenzo - CRUPI Vincenzo -COLUCCIO Giuseppe - BRUZZESE Carmelo they have been the main men for the Siderno group in Ontario belonging to the Locale of Marina di Gioiosa Ionica AND the Commisso group in Siderno.

Carmelo Bruzzese was the link between the Siderno Group and Rizzuto.

The Luppino - by family links are linked to the Macrì family, so very close to Commisso...

One of the problems with the Coluccios is that they had a couple of "incontrollable" associates that might have disobeyed the main orders and create troubles while the two brothers were detained. For example the Coluccio are considered to be behind the killing of Carmelo Muia in Siderno (the reason why his brother Vincenzo travelled to Ontario to visit the Figliomeni brothers) but they might not have given the order actually!

Verduci was clearly playing double games and trying to fuck with the Rizzuto with new links to Montreal trying to bypass him. So his death is linked to honour, I believe, aside from the weapon issues...
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

Was it ever made public, or maybe I missed it, where in Florida the Violi 'making' happened? I know Todaro Sr had a place in Broward County. Curious if Todaro Jr does as well.
Stroccos
Full Patched

Post by Stroccos »

B. wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:33 pm
Patrickgold wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:03 am Maybe I missed it but when was Iavarone made? Could this prove that there is an active family in LA?
We need more info from Morena's cooperation, but a Bonanno soldier and the Buffalo boss apparently thought so. As of right now it's part of the discussion and nobody is in a position to confirm nor discount it.
Great breakdowns b , any idea who did todaro jr suspected or allegedly kill ?
"if he's such A sports wizard , whys he tending bar ?" Nicky Scarfo
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

CabriniGreen wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:20 am
Pogo The Clown wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:26 pm Sure it is. In fact it is almost exactly like the Rochester situation 20 years ago with a named Boss, drug dealing, a taped induction ceremony and contacts to the Bonannos and other families. It didn't mean that Rochester and Clevleand were still around or making some big comeback in 1999 anymore than it does Buffalo making some big comeback in 2021.

http://newsmine.org/content.php?ol=secu ... ia-man.txt
Cleveland mobster Anthony Delmonti couldn't believe what he was hearing.

In the summer of 1999, he was winding down a meeting in a hotel room with Rochester, N.Y., mob boss Tommy Marotta about laundering money and moving some cocaine. Delmonti also had a line on some contraband food stamps. They were planning some golf for later . . . then Marotta became curiously quiet.

He suggested "making" Delmonti on the spot.

Delmonti was floored. Get "straightened out" right here, right now? Marotta just stared, tightening his steel-blue eyes. He was the boss, he said. He could do whatever he wanted.

There had been discussions about officially making Delmonti a member of the Mafia. He had been a good "earner" for the Rochester arm of New York City's Bonanno family. Marotta had permission from Delmonti's Cleveland mob boss to make him. But what about the ceremony? Delmonti asked. The sponsor? Burning the holy card? The speeches in Sicilian?

Marotta waved it off. He was still on probation and not supposed to associate with any of the guys. The ceremony was unnecessary. Made guy Joe T. would be the sponsor. He explained to Delmonti what being "made" entailed, its privileges and responsibilities.

This family comes first. Even before Delmonti's own family. No other member could kill him without permission from Marotta. Delmonti would turn over all his earnings to Marotta. He would be getting a share of whatever the family was bringing in. No fooling with drugs. Delmonti was never to mess with the wives or girlfriends of any other made guys. That was sacred. No made guys would ever mess with Delmonti's wife or girlfriend.

Delmonti was in shock. Marotta was a legend. An old-school wiseguy. He did nine years on a racketeering violation in 1987 and survived two different attempts on his life in 1983. He caught eight bullets from a .22 and was still walking.

And now he was officially bringing Delmonti into the family. Emotionally, Delmonti was all over the map. He was awed and humbled. It was something he never expected to happen. It was a wiseguy's dream come true.

Marotta got up from his chair and embraced Delmonti, kissing him on both cheeks. It was done. Marotta said there would be a reception later. Told him to bring his appetite. Pressed for time, Marotta said he had another appointment and left the room.

Delmonti sat dazed for a minute. He went to unlock the door that opened to the adjoining room. He paused, savoring what had just happened. He took a breath, opening the door wide.

"That's riiiiigght!" he said to the five FBI agents who were there with the video equipment. "I'm the big boss now. You saw it."

The agents cheered and high-fived Delmonti. They jokingly kissed his ring and laughed. He was already an outstanding informant. But this was unprecedented. An FBI informant being "made" by a mob boss. And it was all on tape. It was one of the undercover coups of all time. Delmonti was pumped.
That honestly sounds like a ceremony that wouldnt be recognized.... was it?

I don't see why it wouldn't be. Besides it was a moot point since soon after Marotta was locked up and Delmonti was revealed to be an informant.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
NickleCity
Full Patched

Post by NickleCity »

Stroccos wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:07 am
Patrickgold wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:03 am Maybe I missed it but when was Iavarone made? Could this prove that there is an active family in LA?
We need more info from Morena's cooperation, but a Bonanno soldier and the Buffalo boss apparently thought so. As of right now it's part of the discussion and nobody is in a position to confirm nor discount it.
If I remember correctly he, Falzone, and Sacco were involved in the attempt on Faust Novino.
stubbs
Straightened out

Post by stubbs »

Taking a few steps back:

What we’ve seen in Montreal is that the Rizzuto organization was limited by the Bonannos in how many official made members they could have in their crew. They could only have about twenty officially made Bonanno members in their decina.

But, that restriction probably meant many powerful street guys never got a button because there weren’t any open spots, as the five families have strict rules in how many members each family can have. So, even though their official crew structure was limited by New York, the reality on the street was likely very different. I’m sure Montreal had very powerful guys who were essentially functioning as capos under Vito, but they didn’t have the official title designation from New York. Not to mention powerful non-Italian guys like Joe Bravo and Reynauld Dejardins who were very close to Vito before the war, essentially capos while not being made.

Vito himself wasn’t even officially a Bonanno capo as he turned it down when offered by Sal Vitale. On paper Vito Rizzuto was a soldier in LCN, but on the streets he was really a boss. So, there was a bit of a mismatch in terms of LCN protocol and the reality on the streets.

I’m also wondering if Hamilton was somewhat the same way. It’s possible the Buffalo family’s control over the Buffalo/Hamilton area had weakened in the past several years. I’m sure they had some made guys in Hamilton, but I doubt they exercised total control over the city in recent years.

We know there are several different powerful factions and blood families in Hamilton who have all ran their own rackets. I’m sure a handful were made in Buffalo, and some with the Ndrangheta, but I bet Hamilton has had a bunch of powerful non-made guys on the street. These guys didn’t have a button and didn’t need one, they’re probably already wealthy and powerful enough to have no use for dealing with the leaders in Buffalo or kicking up.

However, if one of these guys wants to deal with made guys from other groups, to tap into the international LCN network, they would need a button in order to do so. Especially if they want to interact with guys from New York. The Five Families still have strict protocol on introductions, etc.

My guess is the Violis wanted to do more business with NYC but needed to be made in order to do so. I’m basing this assumption on them meeting with Bonannos in the Ontario region, etc. The Violis were probably already essentially bosses on the street in Hamilton of their own group, but needed their buttons in order to work with other made guys.

That’s a big reason why Dom Violi was able to become underboss so fast. He was probably already a powerful faction leader on the streets, so he doesn’t need to spend two decades as a soldier. He was also born into mafia royalty and has been groomed for the life, so he already knows protocol and how to handle himself.

And as to why the Violis would join Buffalo as opposed to the Bonannos? Because being the underboss in a small family gives them much more respect in LCN circles than being a soldier in a larger family. B has made a ton of posts on how bosses of the larger families still show respect for bosses of smaller families. A boss is a boss. Protocol is still very important.

If the Bonannos and Todaros decided a few years back, for whatever reason, that they wanted to rebuild the Buffalo family, it wouldn’t surprise me if Hamilton already had 20-30 guys on the street who were already overqualified to become formal made members. Like if Joe Massino went to Vito Rizzuto in 2002 and told him he wanted to grow the Montreal decina from 20 to 50 made members within five years.... I have no doubt Vito could’ve done that easily back then (less easy to do so today after 2-3 wars).
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

Did it ever come out if Joe Violi was made and which family?
Grouchy Sinatra
Full Patched

Post by Grouchy Sinatra »

TommyNoto wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:30 am it’s becoming possible Buf was involved in some recent Canada hits ( nice work B. ) and could have an alliance with the Calabrians- TBD.
In all seriousness, this was my initial response to this Buffalo story. With all of the activity in Canada right now it wouldn't be too crazy to think there's still some activity in Buffalo and Detroit. And I think there was a recent article about increased Detroit activity. Might have been Scott Burnstein?
Glick told author Nicholas Pileggi that he expected to meet a banker-type individual, but instead, he found Alvin Baron to be a gruff, tough-talking cigar-chomping Teamster who greeted him with, “What the fuck do you want?”
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

NickleCity wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:56 pm
Stroccos wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:07 am
If I remember correctly he, Falzone, and Sacco were involved in the attempt on Faust Novino.
https://buffalonews.com/news/novino-des ... 4e709.html
EYYYY ALL YOU CHOOCHES OUT THERE IT'S THE KID
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:26 am
CabriniGreen wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:20 am
That honestly sounds like a ceremony that wouldnt be recognized.... was it?

I don't see why it wouldn't be. Besides it was a moot point since soon after Marotta was locked up and Delmonti was revealed to be an informant.

Pogo
The Rochester family wasn't recognized so I don't know who would have recognized the ceremony. Have you seen anything about members made in Rochester after the mid-1970s being formally recognized by other families? We know as of the 1980s the Commission still refused to recognize Rochester as a family.

We need more info on whether some of the Rochester members were recognized as Bonanno members for a time, like the article alludes to (which also contradicts Marotta being a "boss"). Some of the main Rochester members show up on those Bonanno charts but as far as I know none of the CWs ever mentioned it, if they were even in a position to know.

We know at least one Rochester-based member returned to the Buffalo fold in the early 1980s, but he was likely already a member before Rochester "broke off."

Any remaining Rochester members / associates could be included in Violi's 30 member estimate for the Buffalo family, unless they were shelved or remain unrecognized.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

The article mentions Marotta getting permission form Delmonti's Clevleand Boss (Delmonti was from Cleveland and was an Associate of Cleveland member and de facto Boss Joe Iaccobaci). So evidently Cleveland recognized Marotta as a made member. Cleveland and Marotta were also partnered in a car theft ring.

None of the remaining Rochester members were on the FBI Bonanno lists that JD posted from the 2000s and 2014. They weren't included in the Buffalo 1997 and 2006 charts either so I don't know what their status is. The "Rochester arm of the Bonnano family" part was was most likely a misinterpretation on the writer's part as Marotta's drug ring stretched into NYC and was tied to the Bonannos. His indictment made no mention of him being a Bonanno member.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Yeah, too many holes in our information to know for sure how it shakes out or how arrangements changed over the years in Rochester. All of this is political in nature so it's not something that could be observed without sources stating it explicitly, much like what came out of the Morena investigation into Buffalo-Ontario -- we couldn't possibly know those details as outsiders without Morena's cooperation and recordings.