Joseph Benanti / DiPalermos

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Joseph Benanti / DiPalermos

Post by B. »

B. wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:49 pm - Peter Simonetti's family came from San Giuseppe Iato, Palermo. Close to Marineo. It looks like they were living in the West Village at one point yet Simonetti's father's naturalization was witnessed by two men in East Harlem, including an Antonio Capra. The Capra name/location is no stranger to the Lucchese family, but the Simonettis weren't living anywhere close to East Harlem yet clearly maintained ties there. Coincidence?

- Vincent Zaccaro's family was from Cosenza, so non-Sicilian. Interesting Simonetti was connected, though, given a possible relation to other Calabrians.
I've confirmed that the Antonio Capra who witnessed Pietro Simonetti's naturalization is early Lucchese member Mike Capra's younger brother. I'm not sure the Capras were even Sicilian and they were in the US very early, so maybe an early local East Harlem recruit. The connection to the Simonettis shows that there were connections to different parts of the city and makes me wonder if the elder Pietro Simonetti was involved -- he was no stranger to East Harlem.

Also, I meant Bonomolo when I said Simonetti in the second point, so scratch that part. Board doesn't let us edit anymore.
Eld
Straightened out

Post by Eld »

B. wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:17 pm I've confirmed that the Antonio Capra who witnessed Pietro Simonetti's naturalization is early Lucchese member Mike Capra's younger brother. I'm not sure the Capras were even Sicilian and they were in the US very early, so maybe an early local East Harlem recruit. The connection to the Simonettis shows that there were connections to different parts of the city and makes me wonder if the elder Pietro Simonetti was involved -- he was no stranger to East Harlem.

Also, I meant Bonomolo when I said Simonetti in the second point, so scratch that part. Board doesn't let us edit anymore.
Interesting.

Another son of Sebastiano Nuccio, John Nuccio, was with Peter Simonetti when he was killed but was not hurt. John Nuccio would be arrested for heroin smuggling from France in the 1960s. Nuccio and Simonetti referred to as cousins. According to accounts Peter Simonetti lived on 2059 Second avenue in East Harlem at the time of his murder.

I have to correct the Zaccaro info, he was killed in East Harlem, near Simonettis home, not on LES.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Good info.

Want to mention in this thread, along with Joe and Steve Armone's father Terenzio (from Misilmeri, Palermo), Joe Pinzolo's other naturalization witness was Salvatore Spano in Manhattan. Spano was from Bagheria, Palermo, so yet another Manhattan Palermitano connection for Pinzolo.

Coincidentally, the Accardis of the Lucchese NJ faction had an uncle named Salvatore Spano, but he was from Vita like them and was living in Newark at the same time this Spano lived in Manhattan. The Accardis were with the Newark family back then anyway.
bronx
Full Patched

Post by bronx »

john capra also a decendant
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Yeah, there were a bunch of them spanning generations. Antonio Capra's connection to the Simonettis could be a sign he was involved as well in the older generation.

I always thought they were Sicilian given how far back they go with the Reina family, but it looks to me like Michael's father Donato may have been non-Sicilian. Can someone confirm Donato Capra's hometown?

If that's the case, Mike Capra (b. 1888) is one of the earliest non-Sicilians we know of to join the Reina family... we know the Abruzzese Petrilli was already an important member by the late-1920s and they had no problem inducting the Neapolitan Valachi in the 1930s.

All three of those guys were East Harlem.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

From Newsday January 17, 1966:

Weekend before last, one Joe Nuccio was arrested upstate as a bigtime narcotics operator and it didn’t surprise Suffolk Police, who have had dealings with the Nuccio family in the past. Six years ago they arrested his brother, Vincent, as operator of one of the largest whisky stills in the country. And veteran cops remember that the Nuccio brothers had good training for their careers in crime. Their father, “Don Sebastian” Nuccio was the first man to organize the Italian lottery racket on Mulberry Street.

- Hard to believe Nuccio was the "first man" to organize the lottery on Mulberry street, but Nuccio was in the US by 1895 at the latest (possibly as early as 1893) and naturalized in NYC by 1901, so there is no question he was around early on and could very well have been seen as an early figure involved in the lottery.

- While not a mafia term, "Don" is a good indication he was a respected figure and we know this can translate to mafia stature. He was dead nearly 25 years at the time of this article, a sign that he was a notable figure in his day given he was still remembered.

- Sebastiano Nuccio had two nephews come to the US from San Cipirello, Palermo. San Cipirello is practically the same village as San Giuseppe Iato, where the Simonettis are from. This would indicate that Nuccio himself was from San Cipirello or San Giuseppe Iato and simply used the general "Palermo" for convenience.

- John Nuccio married a Cangelosi, daughter of a Giuseppe Cangelosi. This name jumped out and I tried to remember where I heard it. Cavita previously identified Cangelosis as a family from San Giuseppe Iato who lived in Frankfort (Utica), New York, along with compaesano Frank Longo, a mafioso close to former San Giuseppe Iato boss Vincenzo Troia. Longo and Troia were killed in Anthony Cangelosi's Newark store in 1935. '

- John Nuccio's father-in-law Giuseppe Cangelosi was from San Giuseppe Iato, like the aforementioned Cangelosis, which fits with the Nuccios' ties to San Cipirello. While there is no reason to believe Giuseppe Cangelosi was involved with the mafia beyond his daughter's marriage into a mafia family and the possible mafia connections of other Cangelosis from his hometown, Cangelosi's naturalization was witnessed by men from Baucina and Marineo on Elizabeth street, both Palermo towns that produced Prince street mafia figures.

- Joe Nuccio's "bigtime" drug dealing fits with his neighbors the DiPalermos. I'd guess they were caught up in the business together given all of their ties.

--

- Another early member connected to this group is future Los Angeles consigliere Salvatore Charles Dippolito, who is believed to have been a Lucchese member before moving to LA.

- In the 1930s bootlegging ring headed by Giuseppe LoCascio and Angelo Greco, among those arrested in the bust were Giuseppe's sons Willie and Peter LoCascio and Angelo's son Peter Greco. Also arrested were brothers Joseph and Charles Dippolito, who like the others lived in Corona, Queens. The address given for the Dippolitos is identical with future LA consigliere Salvatore Charles Dippolito's address in Corona at the time.

- Dippolito immigrated to NYC from Baucina, Palermo, and was accompanied by Giuseppe LoCascio's brother Calogero. I've confirmed that the LoCascios are from Baucina, so it makes sense they associated with the Dippolitos in NYC. Their ties appear to go back to Sicily given Calogero LoCascio and Salvatore Charles Dippolito came to the US together.

- The Los Angeles connection also makes sense given the Lucchese family represented LA on the Commission and the two families had strong ties. Dippolito's stature in Los Angeles may have been informed by his history in the Lucchese family.

- At some point it seems the LoCascios went with a different crew. The Grecos and LoCascios moved to Corona, Queens, by the 1930s but Angelo Greco still ran a cafe on Prince street as of 1940 (when he was killed) and these men were still connected to that Manhattan neighborhood. It's not clear when they would have joined another crew or what the arrangement was, but it doesn't seem the move to Corona (where the Dippolitos lived as far back as 1911) initially separated them from Prince street.

- Other Lucchese members with heritage in Baucina were the DioGuardis and Dominic Didato (cousin of the Genovese member). Didato and his family listed a relative on Prince street as their destination upon arrival to NYC.

- Early NYC mafia figure Salvatore Mauro was from Baucina as well, murdered on Chrystie street in 1920, right around the block from Prince and Elizabeth. He lived close to there, too. Mauro's affiliation has not been confirmed, so he may have been an early leader among this future Reina/Lucchese Manhattan crew.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

I'm wondering how Plumeri and the DioGuardis fit in.

- The DioGuardis' father Domenico arrived from Baucina to the same block of Prince and Elizabeth street where the Citranos, Giampaolos, Nuccios, and DiPalermos would all live. Domenico DioGuardi would raise his sons, the infamous DioGuardi brothers, on Forsyth two blocks away from Prince and Elizabeth. Along with the Baucina connection, Frank DioGuardi's FBN file lists the LoCascio brothers as associates. John DioGuardi's FBN file notes that he still spends time in Lower Manhattan after moving to Long Island.

- Given Plumeri's relation to the DioGuardis and his close early association with Dominic Didato, Plumeri also operated in these circles. As of the 1940s, he was living at Delancey and Forsyth, near the DioGuardis' home and just a few blocks from the Prince and Elizabeth base. Plumeri also brings to mind Joe Pinzolo, as Plumeri was from Enna province, further east like Pinzolo from Caltanissetta, but more than that, Plumeri had close ties to Pittston and the Bufalino family. When Pinzolo came to the US he initially arrived to Pittston, where he had relatives, and where the local mafia group was made up of men from his region. Could be a coincidence, but Plumeri and Pinzolo were both Lower Manhattan Reina/Lucchese figures with ties to Pittston.

- Between the FBI's 1960 and 1969 comparison charts (which sometimes have errors), one of the differences is that Plumeri is listed as a captain in 1960 but no longer listed in 1969 and Joe Lagano is by then a new addition. The other changes are to East Harlem and Brooklyn crews, so if the chart is at all accurate, it would imply a connection between Plumeri and Lagano crews given they were both active in Lower Manhattan and there is no other obvious explanation. One possibility is that Plumeri took over for Frank Citrano sometime before or upon Citrano's 1960 death and was replaced by Lagano before 1969.

- There has also been some speculation John DioGuardi was a captain before his legal trouble. Along with the reference to Plumeri being a captain, it's hard to know exactly how this would fit in. It seems possible if not likely that Plumeri and the DioGuardis were at one point part of what's now known as the Prince street crew, assuming it wasn't split up and mixed/matched with other crews at some point. The Lucchese family tends to do that far less than families like the Colombos and Bonannos, but is still known to have done it on occasion. Adding to this is that Willie LoCascio later shows up as a captain until his death and could not have been the Prince street captain. With so many of these guys moving to Queens and Long Island, it makes it more difficult to know what role geography played in their crew assignments. It's possible LoCascio became captain of a crew that dates back to his compaesano John DioGuardi, who knows.

- If all of these guys were originally with the same Lower Manhattan crew, which I'm leaning toward, it would have been a large crew. John Pennisi said the Truscello (Prince street) crew had something like 30 members at one point, which sounds crazy, but maybe there was precedent for the Lower Manhattan crew being large.

--

- Still haven't been able to confirm if Frank Citrano and Ciro Giampaolo were from metro Palermo or one of the smaller villages. Both of them originally lived on the same block of Prince and Elizabeth as most of the other crew members, which makes me suspect they were from the same villages that keep coming up on that block.

Just to give a visual, you can practically draw a straight line between San Giuseppe Iato/San Cipirello, Marineo, and Baucina. It's crazy to look at this and think: this row of little Sicilian villages created the Lucchese family's Lower Manhattan faction, a crew that still exists today in some form

Charlie
Straightened out

Post by Charlie »

B. wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:53 am
- There has also been some speculation John DioGuardi was a captain before his legal trouble. Along with the reference to Plumeri being a captain, it's hard to know exactly how this would fit in. It seems possible if not likely that Plumeri and the DioGuardis were at one point part of what's now known as the Prince street crew, assuming it wasn't split up and mixed/matched with other crews at some point.
For what it's worth, John DioGuardi is listed as 'former caporegima' by the FBI in a '68 file.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Charlie wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:10 am
B. wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:53 am
- There has also been some speculation John DioGuardi was a captain before his legal trouble. Along with the reference to Plumeri being a captain, it's hard to know exactly how this would fit in. It seems possible if not likely that Plumeri and the DioGuardis were at one point part of what's now known as the Prince street crew, assuming it wasn't split up and mixed/matched with other crews at some point.
For what it's worth, John DioGuardi is listed as 'former caporegima' by the FBI in a '68 file.
Thanks, Charlie. There are a few references to him being in a leadership position and he sure seems like someone who would be.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Another Gambino connection:

- Frank Citrano's father-in-law was Gambino captain Simone "Sam" Riccobono and they lived together. Interesting how two of the top Manhattan Lucchese members (Citrano and Pinzolo) were related by marriage to Riccobonos in the Gambino family.
CornerBoy
Full Patched

Post by CornerBoy »

Someone on here gave me great info on jonny sorrentino of the L crew, he from lower first avenue. Can you guys give me the 411 on johnny brody aka sorrentino. I really appreciate it. Thank you
Q: What doesn't work when it's fixed?
A: A jury!
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

One of the Benantis might have been a Lucchese member:

- The FBI had a "Dutodo Benenti" (ph) on one of their Lucchese member lists.
- Joe DiPalermo went to Cuba with Salvatore Benanti in the 1950s and a customs agent testified they found large amounts of cash on them (believed connected to narcotics). "Dutodo" could have been some variation of the nickname Toto/Toddo.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Bumping this for Camelot who was looking for info on the early Lucchese Family.
InCamelot
Straightened out

Post by InCamelot »

Thanks B.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

B. wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:28 pm Want to mention in this thread, along with Joe and Steve Armone's father Terenzio (from Misilmeri, Palermo), Joe Pinzolo's other naturalization witness was Salvatore Spano in Manhattan. Spano was from Bagheria, Palermo, so yet another Manhattan Palermitano connection for Pinzolo.
Looking back at this, I'm curious about Salvatore Spano as there were Chicago Spanos from Bagheria. Most of Pinzolo's documented relationships are to underworld figures (including to Calabrian gangsters when he first moved to NYC) so this guy might be of interest.