General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Snakes
Full Patched

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by Snakes »

Villain wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:20 pm If Tornabene headed the old Aiuppa/Carlisi/Marcello crew and reported directly to Monteleone, means that he was either a powerful capo with direct connection to the boss OR Tornabene was simply the Outfits underboss at the time, which for me personally sounds more plausible
My thinking is that they just didn't have a #2 at this time because so many guys were in prison. It was probably just easier to say that Tornabene was in charge of that area (both MP and Cicero) and reported straight to Monteleone. Spano may have run Cicero under Al's supervision but there are also court records stating that Spano admitted to a CW that Monteleone was his "boss." Now that would be true whether Tornabene was between them or not but at that point it is just getting into semantics and it is difficult for me to go any deeper without additional information.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Snakes wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:06 pm
Villain wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:20 pm If Tornabene headed the old Aiuppa/Carlisi/Marcello crew and reported directly to Monteleone, means that he was either a powerful capo with direct connection to the boss OR Tornabene was simply the Outfits underboss at the time, which for me personally sounds more plausible
My thinking is that they just didn't have a #2 at this time because so many guys were in prison. It was probably just easier to say that Tornabene was in charge of that area (both MP and Cicero) and reported straight to Monteleone. Spano may have run Cicero under Al's supervision but there are also court records stating that Spano admitted to a CW that Monteleone was his "boss." Now that would be true whether Tornabene was between them or not but at that point it is just getting into semantics and it is difficult for me to go any deeper without additional information.
The Tornabene-Spano connection reminds of some old files from back in the days which stated that Aiuppa and Buccieri controlled the Cicero area....also Spano being direct to Monteleone simply adds up to the theory that the old Buccieri/Torello faction never really broke up
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Villain wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:32 pm
Snakes wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:06 pm
The Tornabene-Spano connection reminds of some old files from back in the days which stated that Aiuppa and Buccieri controlled the Cicero area....
Yeah, my idea of Tornabene being between Spano and Monteleone on the pecking order is simply speculation based on the "#1 lieutenant" description that the feds made.
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

Was Monteleone essentially on the street the entire 1990s until his death? Also anyone know where Jonny Apes grew up? Was he a Bridgeport native?

I know he lived in Cicero and his kid owned a jewelry store.
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

SolarSolano wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:04 pm Was Monteleone essentially on the street the entire 1990s until his death? Also anyone know where Jonny Apes grew up? Was he a Bridgeport native?

He grew up in Cicero but belonged to chinatown
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

Patrickgold wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:08 pm
SolarSolano wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:04 pm Was Monteleone essentially on the street the entire 1990s until his death? Also anyone know where Jonny Apes grew up? Was he a Bridgeport native?

Last time Johnny Apes did time was in the 80s when he was given immunity and refused to testify. I believe it was for a hit that occurred in Milwaukee. That was in the 80s. He was out the entire 90s and until his death in 2001
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Based on my info, Monteleone actually grew up in Chinatown by 24th and Princeton (near the LaPietras), at least up until he was a teenager. From what I have, I think he was most likely born 1924 as Giovanni Monteleone in Sambuca di Sicilia, Agrigento, to Maria Antonia Maniscalco of Sambuca and Augustine Monteleone of New Orleans. I believe he then arrived in the US with his mother via NYC, and the family had three girls born in Chicago subsequently. I’m not sure when he moved to Cicero, but in 1940 his family was still living in Chinatown.

Like the LaPietras, Apes came up in the Cicero Buccieri crew but had a strong personal connection to the Chinatown/Bridgeport area, so it’s always interesting that these guys wound up taking over that crew later. I also recall that Apes also worked with Steve Annoreno in the Buccieri era, another family with connections to Chinatown.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

I think Apes, Annoreno and LaPietra actually grew up together.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

SolarSolano wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:40 pm I think Apes, Annoreno and LaPietra actually grew up together.
I wouldn’t be surprised. I’m less certain about Annoreno but I also suspect that he lived in Chinatown as a kid by the Monteleones and LaPietras.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

PolackTony wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:34 pm

Based on my info, Monteleone actually grew up in Chinatown by 24th and Princeton (near the LaPietras), at least up until he was a teenager. From what I have, I think he was most likely born 1924 as Giovanni Monteleone in Sambuca di Sicilia, Agrigento, to Maria Antonia Maniscalco of Sambuca and Augustine Monteleone of New Orleans. I believe he then arrived in the US with his mother via NYC, and the family had three girls born in Chicago subsequently. I’m not sure when he moved to Cicero, but in 1940 his family was still living in Chinatown.

Like the LaPietras, Apes came up in the Cicero Buccieri crew but had a strong personal connection to the Chinatown/Bridgeport area, so it’s always interesting that these guys wound up taking over that crew later. I also recall that Apes also worked with Steve Annoreno in the Buccieri era, another family with connections to Chinatown.
Very interesting you report this. I know there are Monteleones in Rockford and I looked into it a bit. In 1964 an Augustina Monteleone died in Rockford. Her husband was Giuseppe Monteleone. Augustina and Joe were married in New Orleans in 1925 and came to Rockford that same year.
Patrickgold
Full Patched

Post by Patrickgold »

I was always under the impression that she grew up in Cicero but if the census says he was in Chinatown at the time then I will go with that. You see it a lot with Chicago Italians in that they were born in the traditional Italian neighborhoods like Taylor st, grand and Ogden and 26th st and then moved to another neighborhood in their teens like Cicero, MP and EP
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

cavita wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:21 pm

Very interesting you report this. I know there are Monteleones in Rockford and I looked into it a bit. In 1964 an Augustina Monteleone died in Rockford. Her husband was Giuseppe Monteleone. Augustina and Joe were married in New Orleans in 1925 and came to Rockford that same year.
Yes I came across some Monteleones in Rockford when I was looking into Johnny Apes, I have no idea if they were related as there were Monteleones arriving in NOLA from Palermo, Trapani, Agrigento. From what I can tell, Apes’s father Agostino/Augustine was born 1901 in NOLA to Giovanni Monteleone and Grazia Berbiglia. I’m reasonably certain that they were both from Sambuca, and of course Augustine himself went in to marry a woman from Sambuca.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Monteleone lived in Oak Lawn in the nineties.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Snakes wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:06 pm Monteleone lived in Oak Lawn in the nineties.
That’s possible, though I recall his address in 1999 as being in Cicero. His death in 2001 was recorded in Oak Lawn. His parents lived for years before their deaths near 62nd and Kostner on the Southwest side.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Patrickgold wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:40 pm

I was always under the impression that she grew up in Cicero but if the census says he was in Chinatown at the time then I will go with that. You see it a lot with Chicago Italians in that they were born in the traditional Italian neighborhoods like Taylor st, grand and Ogden and 26th st and then moved to another neighborhood in their teens like Cicero, MP and EP
The Italian community in Chicago was very mobile, and of course especially after WW2 there was a large movement out of the old “River Wards” Italian ghettoes into the Bungalow Belt sections of the city and to the inner ring suburbs. The Spilotros, DiFronzos, Calabreses etc all moved on up out of the hood. Lombardo was an exception to that rule and remained a creature of the Patch until he was forced to lam it.