General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

SolarSolano
Full Patched

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by SolarSolano »

Tornabene was Carlisi's cousin, correct? I tend to wonder if he was really an advisor above DiFronzo, or simply filling a void in Cicero crew specifically. He also could have essentially been running Marcello/Carlisi's old crew...
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Snakes wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:30 am
Villain wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:24 am
Snakes wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:20 am Tornabene ran the west side while Monteleone was boss.
Thats right but dont forget that other sources stated that Tornabene also had interests around the South Side, and probably Cicero too, aka the Aiuppa crew
Cicero and Melrose Park are included, if I remember right. Spano was noted as meeting with him in some files, although I'm not sure in what capacity. I'd have to go back and look, though.
It would be very cool if you can find some details about it.

It is also interesting to note that the Cicero, Melrose Park and South Side areas were quite conflicting for several crews for a long time but as we previously stated, in the end the Cicero/South Side faction won the war and fulfilled their long desire.

If Tornabene really had interests on the South Side, than this might explain his possible "diplomatic" connections to the Monteleone/Spano faction...
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Coloboy
Straightened out

Post by Coloboy »

Villain wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:02 am
Coloboy wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:59 am Villian others have disscussed this, but my take on that period is the following. Obviously I am filling in large gaps of knowledge here....

IMO Difronzo was "chariman of the board" until the early 2010's at least until his health started going downhill. Remember, we have him meeting with at the very least the EP guys in 2009 as verified by Chuck Goudie.

Post family secrets (2005-2006), I think Difronzo and whoever else you consider top leadership (The builder and Tornabene?), approved Sarnos crew to take over day to day management of the organization from the Marcello/Zizzo faction. This did not go over well with Zizzo, and thus he disappears.
I agree and i also think that by the late 90s DiFronzo took Accardos role as top boss. Cerone died in 96, Aiuppa died in 97, followed by Carlisi that same year. No matter if they were in prison since some of these guys were allegedly still looked upon as senior bosses.

So in 97/98 DiFronzo stepped down as boss and gave the spot to the Chinatown/Cicero faction aka Monteleone/Sarno group, while he took Accardos former spot. Later Sarno was allegedly still kicking up to No Nose right?

The question is on why DIFronzo stepped down as boss? First, all of the old bosses were dead or plane words there was a free spot, and I also believe there were some tensions between the EP/MP and the Chinatown/Cicero crews at the time, and the only way to make peace was to give Monteleone and his faction an inmportant position.

But it seems that during the following decade some MP members werent satisfied by the whole deal and so they ended up dead, while the EP crew played it smart by getting involved more in legitimate enterprises thus leaving the rest of the street crews to slowly fall into the hands of the FBI. Although I also believe that the EP crew never really relinquished all of their street connections, mainly because through their constant close connection to the Grand Av crew. Dont forget that during those days the Cicero/Chinatown group were one faction, and the EP/GRand were another while the old Cicero/MP aka Aiuppa/Carlisi/Tornabene/Marcello crew was getting out of the picture
You essentially already answered your own question, but I also have to think a big factor in No Nose stepping down from the day-to-day role and assuming the Accardo role was the confluence of factors that happened in the early 90s. I’m sure his short stint in prison at that time motivated him to distance himself from the street as much as possible, and also remember that it was during this time that his son died of a drug overdose. I have to think that would bring some reflection. It’s clear he passed on a massive legitimate fortune to his grandchildren, which had to be the end goal. It’s hard to argue with how he played the final years
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

SolarSolano wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:34 am Tornabene was Carlisi's cousin, correct? I tend to wonder if he was really an advisor above DiFronzo, or simply filling a void in Cicero crew specifically. He also could have essentially been running Marcello/Carlisi's old crew...
Theres no question that he came from the Aiuppa crew but the most questionable thing is his rise in the Outfit and as you already said, his possible rise as "boss emeritus"
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Villain wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:38 am
Snakes wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:20 am Tornabene ran the west side while Monteleone was boss.
Thats right but dont forget that other sources stated that Tornabene also had interests around the South Side, and probably Cicero too, aka the Aiuppa crew
Cicero and Melrose Park are included, if I remember right. Spano was noted as meeting with him in some files, although I'm not sure in what capacity. I'd have to go back and look, though.

It is also interesting to note that the Cicero, Melrose Park and South Side areas were quite conflicting for several crews for a long time but as we previously stated, in the end the Cicero/South Side faction won the war and fulfilled their long desire.

If Tornabene really had interests on the South Side, than this might explain his possible "diplomatic" connections to the Monteleone/Spano faction...
For what it's worth, I think that Toots was definitely boss of Chinatown at this time. Tornabene was at the very least the boss of MP and may have had the whole west side, including Cicero. I think Spano was nominally in charge of Cicero but it was so depleted by that point that perhaps Tornabene was the senior man over the whole area for simplicity's sake.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Coloboy wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:40 am You essentially already answered your own question, but I also have to think a big factor in No Nose stepping down from the day-to-day role and assuming the Accardo role was the confluence of factors that happened in the early 90s. I’m sure his short stint in prison at that time motivated him to distance himself from the street as much as possible, and also remember that it was during this time that his son died of a drug overdose. I have to think that would bring some reflection. It’s clear he passed on a massive legitimate fortune to his grandchildren, which had to be the end goal. It’s hard to argue with how he played the final years
Yup and i agree since i completely forgot to mention his short stint in prison which completely reminds me on Accardos situation during the 1950s and early 60s
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Snakes wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:44 am

For what it's worth, I think that Toots was definitely boss of Chinatown at this time. Tornabene was at the very least the boss of MP and may have had the whole west side, including Cicero. I think Spano was nominally in charge of Cicero but it was so depleted by that point that perhaps Tornabene was the senior man over the whole area for simplicity's sake.
What are your thoughts on the Cicero area being still divided until Marcellos imprisonment? And later obviously the whole area fell under the Sarno admin?
Coloboy
Straightened out

Post by Coloboy »

Villain wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:51 am

What are your thoughts on the Cicero area being still divided until Marcellos imprisonment? And later obviously the whole area fell under the Sarno admin?
Based on the prison tapes of Marcello discussing “mutt and Jeff” I got the impression that Cicero and MP were all his at that point, meaning they were 1 official crew. That was my read
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Late nineties, I think it was:

1. DiFronzo (semi-retired)
2. Monteleone ("official" boss; Andriacchi may have been at this level, too, but EP being so close to DiFronzo it didn't really matter his title)

Tornabene (overall West Side, including MP and Cicero with Spano running Cicero)
Toots Caruso, South Side/Chinatown
Centracchio, Grand Avenue and other areas (Lombardo may have been the final word but let others run the day-to-day)

Again, this is just off the top of my head based on what I've read.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Snakes wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:29 am

2. Monteleone ("official" boss; Andriacchi may have been at this level, too, but EP being so close to DiFronzo it didn't really matter his title)

Tornabene (overall West Side, including MP and Cicero with Spano running Cicero)
Centracchio, Grand Avenue and other areas (Lombardo may have been the final word but let others run the day-to-day)

My impression is that the Infelice/Cicero crew took a big hit from the Good Ship Lollipop case, allowing the Aiuppa/Carlisi MP/Cicero crew under Tornabene to assume dominance for a period. What I still wonder though is at what point exactly these two crews were finally folded into each other. Was Tornabene Spano’s boss, or was he just answering to Pizza Al because the Carlisi crew was stronger on the streets at the time? If Tornabene actually was Johnny Apes’s UB, this would indicate a typical power sharing agreement between two “street crews”, leading me to believe that the Buccieri/Cicero and Carlisi/MP/Cicero factions were still distinct. This question bears in the following events of course. My impression from Marcello’s “Mutt and Jeff” comments was that these two didn’t belong to his faction. After Marcelo was indicted for FS, somehow the decision was reached that the old Buccieri crew would take over the entire MP/Cicero territory, culminating in the disappearance of Zizzo. The details remain murky of course but this is what I see as likely.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Also, if DiFronzo was the top boss or “man” at least in a formal sense, that would still be consistent with him apparently meeting with Zizzo and Panozzo (as Vena’s lackey). I suspect that this maybe was a last ditch effort to intervene and avert a full blown crisis with Zizzo, thus warranting “the man” stepping in. Would be exactly the sort of situation that one would expect a latter day Ricca/Accardo figure to step out of the shadows and directly weigh in. I suspect that either it didn’t work, and DiFronzo/Andriacchi wrote Zizzo off as a lost cause, or the Cautadella/Sarno faction (with Solly and Inendino in the background) wound up being too powerful to oppose if they really wanted Zizzo out.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

PolackTony wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:04 pm
Snakes wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:29 am

My impression is that the Infelice/Cicero crew took a big hit from the Good Ship Lollipop case, allowing the Aiuppa/Carlisi MP/Cicero crew under Tornabene to assume dominance for a period. What I still wonder though is at what point exactly these two crews were finally folded into each other. Was Tornabene Spano’s boss, or was he just answering to Pizza Al because the Carlisi crew was stronger on the streets at the time? If Tornabene actually was Johnny Apes’s UB, this would indicate a typical power sharing agreement between two “street crews”, leading me to believe that the Buccieri/Cicero and Carlisi/MP/Cicero factions were still distinct. This question bears in the following events of course. My impression from Marcello’s “Mutt and Jeff” comments was that these two didn’t belong to his faction. After Marcelo was indicted for FS, somehow the decision was reached that the old Buccieri crew would take over the entire MP/Cicero territory, culminating in the disappearance of Zizzo. The details remain murky of course but this is what I see as likely.
Tornabene's role was described as "#1 lieutenant under LCN Underboss John Monteleone [feds probably had DiFronzo as the Boss], and operates the gambling/loansharking activities for the [redacted, but almost certainly James Marcello] Crew. He oversees this activity in the near western suburbs." They went on to describe Tornabene as a "made" member who "oversees the activities of James Marcello's crew members and reports to" Monteleone. Monteleone was later described by an informant "head of the LCN in Cicero," although it is not understood exactly what the context of this was as later reports described him as the "head of" the Chicago LCN. Further intel revealed that Tornabene replaced Monteleone upon the latter's death.

I suppose that Monteleone could have acted as boss of Cicero in addition to being the Outfit boss as there is no real rule concerning an Outfit member wearing two hats, so to speak. Or Spano could have ran the area under the purview of Tornabene, Monteleone, or both.
Last edited by Snakes on Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

PolackTony wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:15 pm Also, if DiFronzo was the top boss or “man” at least in a formal sense, that would still be consistent with him apparently meeting with Zizzo and Panozzo (as Vena’s lackey). I suspect that this maybe was a last ditch effort to intervene and avert a full blown crisis with Zizzo, thus warranting “the man” stepping in. Would be exactly the sort of situation that one would expect a latter day Ricca/Accardo figure to step out of the shadows and directly weigh in. I suspect that either it didn’t work, and DiFronzo/Andriacchi wrote Zizzo off as a lost cause, or the Cautadella/Sarno faction (with Solly and Inendino in the background) wound up being too powerful to oppose if they really wanted Zizzo out.
What also needs to be taken into consideration is that even if DiFronzo was "retired," it would still be in his best interest to prevent conflict between existing Outfit crews, groups, or factions. I'm sure he was aware that he could be "hurt" legally if any conflict resulted in guys cooperating, especially after he escaped being indicted from Nick Calabrese flipping. Even if DiFronzo didn't outright order or approve a murder, he may have simply mediated and then left the respective groups to their own devices.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

If Tornabene headed the old Aiuppa/Carlisi/Marcello crew and reported directly to Monteleone, means that he was either a powerful capo with direct connection to the boss OR Tornabene was simply the Outfits underboss at the time, which for me personally sounds more plausible
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

If Calabrese tour is open this year Im definitely going. I have some questions for him, if its possible to ask him. I know his knowledge is limited, but if he can answer 1 or 2 things it would be great. Just like a puzzle, sometimes a few pieces leads to a few more. Cant wait till weather gets warmer. Hope not closed due to covid