Peter Gotti is dead

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Re: Peter Gotti is dead

Post by Angelo Santino »

Yes, those names too. I really should do something on it. The names from the 1870's are still names today, the same names you see now at the top of the Gambinos. Same fundamental in Agrigento and Trapani. There's more to this than ranks and kickups, granted on its face it's a criminal organization but it's more so a subculture that's open to criminality, which explains a Tommy Gambino that outsiders or new members or single-generation one-offs like Gravano or Fratianno can't fully comprehend or appreciate. The Palermitan surnames will still be involved long after the final Gotti-surnamed affiliate dies.
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

The mafia tradition some of these Sicilian clans carry from the XIX century until this day can be compared to the old Italian merchant guilds. You had generations of men who were part of the same organizations and were doing the same things their great-great-grandfathers were doing before them. In both cases it transcends criminality/trade and becomes a way of life passed down from fathers to sons.
moneyman
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by moneyman »

funkster wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:30 pm
Chris Christie wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:04 pm The Sicilians (when I use that term, I'm not just referring to those born on the island but those born here with extensive ties and family background- like Cali) don't see The Boss position like Sopranos s1e3 where the FBI gets everything on tape and they become a lightning rod. They believe that if they "do things right" they can avoid scrutiny. It's not about dressing down like Barney Bellomo but more about not giving the FBI what it needs to indict. We, as outsiders can see this as an impossible measure but the same could be said for joining overall. You can't get away with crime like you could 70 years ago.

The surnames of Mannino, Cali, Gambino, Inzerillo have factored into the Palermitan mafia since the 1870's within a 15 mile radius. They're not in the mafia, they are the mafia. This is a century-old tradition to them.
I hate to keep bringing it back to Pennisi and Hootie, but the truth is theyre simply out there a lot right now...I'm curious if Hootie's mentioned his thoughts on the sicilian faction in any of his 800 podcast appearances. Pennisi seemed to hold them in high regard. Hootie has shit on a lot of the Gambinos without mentioning the SF.

It's not particularly surprising that Scars is still at least in tune with some of the whispers on the street, hasn't he said he regrets cooperating or at least hinted at it?
I asked him on Instagram here’s what he said,

“Loved tommy when I was in the life, even tho I wasn’t a friend he treated me as one and gave me the respect to sit down, him and him main man Lorenzo, Yes I’m a big fan of the whole Sicilian faction and had interaction here and there with a few more so with Tommy“
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

eboli wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:40 am The mafia tradition some of these Sicilian clans carry from the XIX century until this day can be compared to the old Italian merchant guilds. You had generations of men who were part of the same organizations and were doing the same things their great-great-grandfathers were doing before them. In both cases it transcends criminality/trade and becomes a way of life passed down from fathers to sons.
Exactly. You articulated it very well. But I'd also add that there's traces of it still in America not limited exclusively to Sicily. Both in New York and Detroit, amongst other cities like LA. They aren't major players in the criminal sense who dominate industries nor attempting to, nor leaving bodies in the street; but they are carrying on Their Tradition, one that doesn't require criminality as a prerequisite but will resort to it to protect the economic interests of its members if necessary. Salut.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Chris Christie wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:04 pm The Sicilians (when I use that term, I'm not just referring to those born on the island but those born here with extensive ties and family background- like Cali) don't see The Boss position like Sopranos s1e3 where the FBI gets everything on tape and they become a lightning rod. They believe that if they "do things right" they can avoid scrutiny. It's not about dressing down like Barney Bellomo but more about not giving the FBI what it needs to indict. We, as outsiders can see this as an impossible measure but the same could be said for joining overall. You can't get away with crime like you could 70 years ago.

The surnames of Mannino, Cali, Gambino, Inzerillo have factored into the Palermitan mafia since the 1870's within a 15 mile radius. They're not in the mafia, they are the mafia. This is a century-old tradition to them.
Well obviously Barney, and the Genovese family as a whole, do more than just dress down. Whether it's not being flashy, keeping the hierarchy unclear as possible, meeting as secretly as possible, hiding behind legitimate business, etc., there are several things they or other families try to do with varying levels of success. In the end, plenty of Genovese guys (including Barney) have still been indicted. Cefalu, Cali, etc. as well. Sooner or later, the feds will find what they need to bring an indictment.

If you ask me, the key is to organize things well enough that the family can withstand repeated attacks from law enforcement with as little damage or disruption as possible. And nobody has been more successful at that than the West Side.
All roads lead to New York.
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

Chris Christie wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:14 am
eboli wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:40 am The mafia tradition some of these Sicilian clans carry from the XIX century until this day can be compared to the old Italian merchant guilds. You had generations of men who were part of the same organizations and were doing the same things their great-great-grandfathers were doing before them. In both cases it transcends criminality/trade and becomes a way of life passed down from fathers to sons.
Exactly. You articulated it very well. But I'd also add that there's traces of it still in America not limited exclusively to Sicily. Both in New York and Detroit, amongst other cities like LA. They aren't major players in the criminal sense who dominate industries nor attempting to, nor leaving bodies in the street; but they are carrying on Their Tradition, one that doesn't require criminality as a prerequisite but will resort to it to protect the economic interests of its members if necessary. Salut.
This is what's going on in the cities with "nonviable" defunct families yet you keeps seeing the same names popping up in businesses and the professions, yes? I imagine that is what Chicago will be like around 2030 or so.
EYYYY ALL YOU CHOOCHES OUT THERE IT'S THE KID
Grouchy Sinatra
Full Patched

Post by Grouchy Sinatra »

RIP. He was in that old camcorder video outside of the Ravenite waiting in line at the ice cream truck.

Did he ever kill anyone? He was convicted of conspiring to kill Gravano. But does anyone know if he ever actually pulled a trigger? He tried to extort Steven Seagal, which shouldn't even be illegal.

I don't know. Maybe I'm being naive but this guy always looked like he was never cut out for the life. He honestly seemed like a good person. Maybe it was because he offered the camcorder guy an ice cream.
Glick told author Nicholas Pileggi that he expected to meet a banker-type individual, but instead, he found Alvin Baron to be a gruff, tough-talking cigar-chomping Teamster who greeted him with, “What the fuck do you want?”
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

Probaly never pulled the trigger but I'm sure he was involved with planning in the 70tys early 80tys
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

Gotti crew was a work crew rite
NYNighthawk
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by NYNighthawk »

RIP. He was in that old camcorder video outside of the Ravenite waiting in line at the ice cream truck.

Who was that other old timer with him? He was acting like a spokesman at the 1992 Gotti trial. He was also seen in the doorway after the O'Connor Manhattan jury trial when Gotti was acquitted and fireworks were going off - yelling were all happy - the whole City is happy.
JohnnyS
Full Patched

Post by JohnnyS »

NYNighthawk wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:36 pm RIP. He was in that old camcorder video outside of the Ravenite waiting in line at the ice cream truck.

Who was that other old timer with him? He was acting like a spokesman at the 1992 Gotti trial. He was also seen in the doorway after the O'Connor Manhattan jury trial when Gotti was acquitted and fireworks were going off - yelling were all happy - the whole City is happy.
Joseph DeCicco. Wasn't made.
Grouchy Sinatra
Full Patched

Post by Grouchy Sinatra »

JohnnyS wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:10 pm
NYNighthawk wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:36 pm RIP. He was in that old camcorder video outside of the Ravenite waiting in line at the ice cream truck.

Frank's brother, right? The guy who died in the car bombing? Didn't they have an alcoholic father who was made, named "Boozy"?
Glick told author Nicholas Pileggi that he expected to meet a banker-type individual, but instead, he found Alvin Baron to be a gruff, tough-talking cigar-chomping Teamster who greeted him with, “What the fuck do you want?”
JohnnyS
Full Patched

Post by JohnnyS »

Grouchy Sinatra wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:57 pm
JohnnyS wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:10 pm

Frank's brother, right? The guy who died in the car bombing? Didn't they have an alcoholic father who was made, named "Boozy"?
Joseph is George's brother uncles of Frank DeCicco. Boozy was Frank's father.
scagghiuni
Full Patched

Post by scagghiuni »

CabriniGreen wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:25 am
CabriniGreen wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:37 pm

Perfectly stated... great post
I'd also add Spatola, maybe DiMaggio, the subfamilies- clans are like Adamita, Napoli, Cefalu, Zito, ect.......
the so called 'adamita-romano' anti-drug operation in 1988 (233 arrests) was the biggest ever between italy and us
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

scagghiuni wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:21 am
CabriniGreen wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:25 am
CabriniGreen wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:37 pm

Perfectly stated... great post
I'd also add Spatola, maybe DiMaggio, the subfamilies- clans are like Adamita, Napoli, Cefalu, Zito, ect.......
the so called 'adamita-romano' anti-drug operation in 1988 (233 arrests) was the biggest ever between italy and us
Thanks for that, I'll read up.....