Most bizarre mafia story. LA boss Frank DeSimone raped the wife of Girolamo "Momo" Adamo, in front of him.

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Nick Prango
Sergeant Of Arms

Most bizarre mafia story. LA boss Frank DeSimone raped the wife of Girolamo "Momo" Adamo, in front of him.

Post by Nick Prango »

According to an informant, shortly after he became boss, DeSimone supposedly raped the wife of his underboss, Girolamo "Momo" Adamo, in front of her husband. The humiliated Momo Adamo later shot his wife, and committed suicide in their San Diego home. Marie Adamo survived her wounds and later married Frank Bompensiero. IMO this is the most bizarre mafia story. People here on this forum seem to have deep knowledge of the subject matter, so In your guys opinion is this true? To my knowledge that is totally against Cosa Nostra rules.
Teddy Persico
Straightened out

Re: Most bizarre mafia story. LA boss Frank DeSimone raped the wife of Girolamo "Momo" Adamo, in front of him.

Post by Teddy Persico »

Seems like a BS story. DeSimone was a relatively straight laced mobster. According to Bompensiero's biography by Judith Moore, it was just a heated argument that led to the shooting.
The way you talk, you just confuse him.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Most bizarre mafia story. LA boss Frank DeSimone raped the wife of Girolamo "Momo" Adamo, in front of him.

Post by Pogo The Clown »

I thought that it was Drsgna who did the rape?

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
MikeyRiens11
Honorary Member

Post by MikeyRiens11 »

This story is also briefly mentioned in the book, "Handsome Johnny", and is dismissed as nonsense.
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

Many bizarre stories. I think Michael Franzese was telling a story about a made guy he knew, who was afraid to stay home alone because he was haunted. 30 years earlier he and his brother killed their father, who was also a made guy, and the father's ghost was haunting him ever since.

Also, the LA story seems to me like bullshit. According to Fratianno, they held a secret vote for the new boss after Dragna's death, Adamo expected to win, but Frank DeSimone rigged it and was 'elected' as the next boss of the family. The story goes he raped Adamo's wife soon after, and then Adamo tried to kill her before killing himself. The story never made sense to me because it's out of character for DeSimone to do it. In the 1940s and 1950s he was more of a lawyer than a gangster, he did a ton of white collar work for the mob. Also, Adamo's wife had a reputation for flirting and sleeping around with other men, and apparently he knew about it. My theory is that after Adamo lost the boss vote, he blamed her for it.
Last edited by eboli on Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nick Prango
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Nick Prango »

Teddy Persico wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:17 am Seems like a BS story. DeSimone was a relatively straight laced mobster. According to Bompensiero's biography by Judith Moore, it was just a heated argument that led to the shooting.
I agree. By all accounts DeSimone was a straight laced and sober character.
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

Seems DeSimone didn't even date girls, so raping one ... It doesn't even last a second.
Pogo The Clown wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:24 am I thought that it was Drsgna who did the rape?
No I think you confuse it with the fact that he liked young girls, I believe it was Piscopo who said that Dragna had been caught by the cops with an underage girl. I think Mirabile also had a penchant for underarge girls too
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Looks like 2 member informants in LA (one of them Frsnk Bompensiero) talked about DeSimone having an affair with Adamo's wife.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
gaspipe
Straightened out

Post by gaspipe »

motorfab wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:31 am Seems DeSimone didn't even date girls, so raping one ... It doesn't even last a second.
Go on...
I didn't torture the kid, didn't do nuttin like that. Shot him a couple times and he died.
Grouchy Sinatra
Full Patched

Post by Grouchy Sinatra »

I never bought this story. DeSimone would have been torn apart limb by limb. NY or Chicago would have sent guys out if necessary. Something that heinous would never be tolerated by the other bosses, especially by a boss.
Glick told author Nicholas Pileggi that he expected to meet a banker-type individual, but instead, he found Alvin Baron to be a gruff, tough-talking cigar-chomping Teamster who greeted him with, “What the fuck do you want?”
Nick Prango
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Nick Prango »

Grouchy Sinatra wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:37 am I never bought this story. DeSimone would have been torn apart limb by limb. NY or Chicago would have sent guys out if necessary. Something that heinous would never be tolerated by the other bosses, especially by a boss.
EXACTLY. To my knowledge that is totally against Cosa Nostra rules.
Grouchy Sinatra
Full Patched

Post by Grouchy Sinatra »

Nick Prango wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:46 am

EXACTLY. To my knowledge that is totally against Cosa Nostra rules.
Rules were broken all of the time, mostly in the name of financial profit. But this is a whole other level of breaking rules. The precedent it would set if a boss were allowed to get away with something like this would make it impossible to recruit. The working life may seem depressing to these guys but I'm sure most of them would take it over watching this happen to their wife.
Glick told author Nicholas Pileggi that he expected to meet a banker-type individual, but instead, he found Alvin Baron to be a gruff, tough-talking cigar-chomping Teamster who greeted him with, “What the fuck do you want?”
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

Didn't Sam Giancana begin sleeping with/dating Marshall Caifano's wife? I think a lot of these bosses made their own rules. That said, I feel a rape is much different circumstance.
MightyDR
Straightened out

Post by MightyDR »

Here’s Marie Adamo’s side of the story:
https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... 1&tab=page
Sounds like Momo Adamo had health issues, a drinking problem and a history of abusing his wife. One day he just snapped.

https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/199 ... shot-dark/
The rape story seems to have come from a police informant mentioned in Ed Reid’s “Grim Reapers”. Desimone supposedly did it to show Adamo who was boss. It’s possible. Being a lawyer doesn’t somehow make you never a rapist. Of course it’s against the rules, but it’s not like Desimone would have sought permission from the Commission to do it or that Adamo would ever report him.

However, if Marie didn’t say Desimone raped her and Momo Adamo killed himself, then how would the police informant know what happened? I doubt Desimone would go around bragging about it. It’s more likely that Marie was sleeping around like other informants mentioned or Adamo was depressed that he got passed over as boss.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

SolarSolano wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:09 am Didn't Sam Giancana begin sleeping with/dating Marshall Caifano's wife? I think a lot of these bosses made their own rules. That said, I feel a rape is much different circumstance.
Yes, though this was apparently at least partly in response to Caifano fucking Frank LoVerde's wife. Giancana hated Caifano and this was part of his way of putting him in place, I suppose.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”