The most interesting of small families?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Lefty_Ruggiero
Straightened out

Re: The most interesting of small families?

Post by Lefty_Ruggiero »

Bufalino, I just like the history of the family and the respect Russ commanded. Plus I have a personal history with the area they operated in.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

PolackTony wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:23 pm For me, the smaller Midwest families -- Rockford, Milwaukee, Madison, Springfield. They all had their unique sets of relationships to Chicago, and in several cases served as refuge for dissident anti-Caponite Chicago mafiosi.

Of all of them, I'd say Rockford. So close as to be practically part of Chicagoland, but with a degree of local autonomy, a very strong Sicilian base, and their own links to other families in both US and Sicily.
Don't know what counts as a "small" family exactly, but I also think that the Pittsburgh mob is very interesting, given the large geographic area under its sway and the long history of the Calabrese faction there.

If the DeCavs count as "small", they're pretty fascinating as well. Under the radar in their earlier period, strong Sicilian base, very strongly localized around Union County but then with sattelites in NYC, the Hudson Valley, and CT. Plus I have tons of family in the Elizabeth/Linden area (big Polish population there too).
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
NothingNew44
Straightened out

Post by NothingNew44 »

The Patriarca’s. Two locations where the power base shifts at different times in their history. A National well respected name sake. Internal wars. The taped induction ceremony of its time. Public murder of high profile informants. FBI corruption. Entertaining.
NothingNew44
Straightened out

Post by NothingNew44 »

Timmoffat wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:09 pm San Jose. Cerittos lawsuit. Sal Marino murder case. LA too. Pogo has a good point on Rochester. Apparently Rockford is active still?
The sorrento cheese deal
sdeitche
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by sdeitche »

Tampa obviously.

Also Denver, NOLA, and the small satellite Midwest families- Madison and Springfield.
eboli
Full Patched

Post by eboli »

Probably Los Angeles for me, very entertaining to read about. It's fascinating how long they lasted, considering the organization was a dumpster fire since its inception.
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

eboli wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:27 am Probably Los Angeles for me, very entertaining to read about. It's fascinating how long they lasted, considering the organization was a dumpster fire since its inception.
Same for me, Los Angeles. And New-Orleans even if it's pain the ass to find infos about them
Hailbritain
Full Patched

Post by Hailbritain »

Defo the rochester mob for me , got a couple of books on them . The wars are very interesting to read about
Etna
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Etna »

New Orleans, New Jersey, Milwaukee and Los Angeles are probably the most interesting for me.
joerock
Straightened out

Post by joerock »

DeCavs for sure
Gabagool718
Straightened out

Post by Gabagool718 »

Bufalinos the amount of clout and influence Russ had from basically bumblefck PA is fascinating
Nick Prango
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Nick Prango »

Los Angeles is the most interesting for me.
Rat
Straightened out

Post by Rat »

Nick Prango wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:49 am Los Angeles is the most interesting for me.
Haven’t you been digging up every Pittsburgh thread the past month?
IrishDave
Straightened out

Post by IrishDave »

Rochester, DeCav's, and LA.

John Riggi seemed very capable with the unions and as a boss. Would have been interesting to see what he could have done in one of the 5 families.
Nick Prango
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Nick Prango »

Rat wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:07 am
Nick Prango wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:49 am Los Angeles is the most interesting for me.
Haven’t you been digging up every Pittsburgh thread the past month?
No