General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Antiliar
Full Patched

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by Antiliar »

It's interesting to note that one of the defendants at the Viterbo trial in 1911 was Salvatore De Lucia, but again, we don't know the biological connection he may have to anyone else.
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

Gotta say here - the structure of Chicago even through today has always looked more like 'clans' than the typical pyramid structure of the sicilian cosa nostra. Maybe there is something deeper here in terms of a hybrid Camorra/LCN structure that Ricca influenced compared to east coast families?
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

SolarSolano wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:23 pm Gotta say here - the structure of Chicago even through today has always looked more like 'clans' than the typical pyramid structure of the sicilian cosa nostra. Maybe there is something deeper here in terms of a hybrid Camorra/LCN structure that Ricca influenced compared to east coast families?
There definitely was! The whole Outfit's top leadership was headed by Mainlanders, starting from 1931 until 1946/47 and later all of the Sicilian bosses were born in the US.
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Villain wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:43 pm I think Ricca's dad died in January 1925 at the age of 55 so back in 1907 he was in his late 30s.
In addition to my previous post, I believe that some time shortly after his son fled Italy, Antonio was convicted to 20 years in prison for the murder of Perillo but im not sure, while Ricca was convicted to 21 years and 10 days in prison but this time in absentia.

Also, in May 1917 Riccas mother Maria (Maria Annunziata De Lucia) died of a sudden heart attack at the age of 44.
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Villain wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:26 am
SolarSolano wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:23 pm Gotta say here - the structure of Chicago even through today has always looked more like 'clans' than the typical pyramid structure of the sicilian cosa nostra. Maybe there is something deeper here in terms of a hybrid Camorra/LCN structure that Ricca influenced compared to east coast families?
There definitely was! The whole Outfit's top leadership was headed by Mainlanders, starting from 1931 until 1946/47 and later all of the Sicilian bosses were born in the US.
Yes, this is my own belief as well. And not just Ricca. I'm of the opinion that the Colosimo-Torrio gang may have had elements of an older Camorra-type organization that likely ramified across Southern Italy from the prison system from the end of the Bourbon period through Unification. I was going to update my old "The Outfit and The Camorra thread" about this sometime soon.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

And of course it bears noting that while the top admin was composed of mainlanders, there were still two powerful capos born in Sicily in the immediate post-1931 period -- D'Andrea and O'Neglia (whatever happened there).

This is a big part of what for me makes Chicago both complicated and so compelling as a family -- their heritage from both the Mainlander and Sicilian factions.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:45 am
And of course it bears noting that while the top admin was composed of mainlanders, there were still two powerful capos born in Sicily in the immediate post-1931 period -- D'Andrea and O'Neglia (whatever happened there).

This is a big part of what for me makes Chicago both complicated and so compelling as a family -- their heritage from both the Mainlander and Sicilian factions.
Thats true, and they also had Mangano and others. D'Andrea's father Louis and Merlo probably played a major role in introducing him to the Torrio/Capone faction because it seems that Louis D'Anrdea also had many connections around the South Side, same as his brother, while Merlo obviously knew both Colosimo and Torrio. My point is that the D'Andrea case was more about long time or old connections and loyalty, while it seems that the so-called "O'Neglia" connections were more because of fear (forced) and waiting for the right moment.

D'Andrea received the Loop, Chinatown and the South Side which in fact was Capone's old territory and means that D'Andrea was quite respected. Even decades before Capone there were many other Sicilian/Mainlander duos and so maybe the Capone/D'Andrea duo was one of them. D'Andrea even took a gun to court for Capone lol dont forget that Lombardo was also close friend of Capone. When Colosimo hosted a banquet during the early 1910's, Merlo was seated next to him on his right side and Torrio on the left, or Colosimo and Joe D'Andrea. Even Luciano/Genovese and Ricca/Accardo were two of those duos lol
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Villain wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:08 am Next, is about one "less known" Outfit member who went by the name of Johnny Campanelli. Even today i still dont know which crew he belonged to and so again, its open for discussion...one files says that Caifano worked under Campanelli which is possible that Campanelli belonged to the Battaglia/Alderisio crew...
I'd say that Johnny Haircuts was with Melrose Park. He lived there (his wife Marie De Angelis died earlier this year, maybe a relative of Ronnie de Angelis?) and was connected I believe to the Feast of Our Lady of Mt Carmel. The info about Caifano I think is the clincher.

Also, per Tom O'Neglia's grandson, Campanelli was called "Johnny Haircuts" because he got a haircut every morning lol. Great mob nickname.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:59 am
Villain wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:08 am Next, is about one "less known" Outfit member who went by the name of Johnny Campanelli. Even today i still dont know which crew he belonged to and so again, its open for discussion...one files says that Caifano worked under Campanelli which is possible that Campanelli belonged to the Battaglia/Alderisio crew...
I'd say that Johnny Haircuts was with Melrose Park. He lived there (his wife Marie De Angelis died earlier this year, maybe a relative of Ronnie de Angelis?) and was connected I believe to the Feast of Our Lady of Mt Carmel. The info about Caifano I think is the clincher.

Also, per Tom O'Neglia's grandson, Campanelli was called "Johnny Haircuts" because he got a haircut every morning lol. Great mob nickname.
Thanks for this
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

It seems Genovese captain Toddo Del Ducca, who used to finance some of Capone's bootlegging ops in Chicago, was from Avellino same as Mike Carrozzo (thanks to Polack) who started around Colosimo and Torrio and later landed under Capone. These connections just keep popping up....
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Villain wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:25 am It seems Genovese captain Toddo Del Ducca, who used to finance some of Capone's bootlegging ops in Chicago, was from Avellino same as Mike Carrozzo (thanks to Polack) who started around Colosimo and Torrio and later landed under Capone. These connections just keep popping up....
Generoso Del Duca is not someone you hear much about. I believe he was involved in the early days with Frankie Yale on the BK waterfront. What exactly were the extent of his links with Capone? Was he bankrolling stuff in Chicago before Capone was inducted?
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:02 pm
Villain wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:25 am It seems Genovese captain Toddo Del Ducca, who used to finance some of Capone's bootlegging ops in Chicago, was from Avellino same as Mike Carrozzo (thanks to Polack) who started around Colosimo and Torrio and later landed under Capone. These connections just keep popping up....
Generoso Del Duca is not someone you hear much about. I believe he was involved in the early days with Frankie Yale on the BK waterfront. What exactly were the extent of his links with Capone? Was he bankrolling stuff in Chicago before Capone was inducted?
All i know is that the guy allegedly financed Capone's bootlegging operations and now that you mentioned Del Ducca being also connected to Yale, it seems that we have another old "Mainlander" connection between NY and Chicago.
Ed
Straightened out

Post by Ed »

Phyllis McGuire, Sam Giancana's former companion, died yesterday at the age of 89. From what I understand, she had genuine affection for Giancana and remained friendly to his death. She was the last living of the three McGuire Sisters.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Ed wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:09 am Phyllis McGuire, Sam Giancana's former companion, died yesterday at the age of 89. From what I understand, she had genuine affection for Giancana and remained friendly to his death. She was the last living of the three McGuire Sisters.
Thanks for the news Ed.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

She was a beauty...