General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

PolackTony
Filthy Few

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by PolackTony »

Villain wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:09 pm Btw, do we know something about one Lorenzo Spingola from the 1910s?
Lorenzo Spingola I don't think was related to the Taylor St Spingolas. From my Info, he entered the US around 1905 and settled in the Near North Little Sicily area, occupation later listed as baker. I'm not 100% certain but I believe he was Sicilian from Bagheria.

About the other Spingolas. They had several people tied into to Johnny Powers's political machine and its Italian successors in the 19th and 17th wards. Father Giuseppe Spingola was a precinct captain for "De Pow", as was son Peter Spingola. Henry of course ran for state senate but I'm not sure if he won that race (doesn't seem like it). Henry and Peter Spingola were both said to have been involved in the Genna faction. The brothers ran an auto garage which was used as an HQ by the Genna's, Amatuna, Tropea. Albert Anselmi was also spotted at the garage. Interestingly, shortly after Henry Spingola was clipped in January 1926, Agostino and Antonino Morici (the Westside Moricis) were killed. The papers of course reported that this was linked to the Spingola murder (in the sense that they thought these were all "Black Hand" extortion hits), but they also noted that the Moricis had recently purchased a Westside property from James Genna. So while the Genna faction seems to have largely been of Trapanese origin, these Morici may have been linked to it and I belive were from Bagheria. Something else to note.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

I uploaded the Paul Ricca FBI files, but there seems to be a hold up at Internet Archive.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:01 pm
Villain wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:09 pm Btw, do we know something about one Lorenzo Spingola from the 1910s?
Lorenzo Spingola I don't think was related to the Taylor St Spingolas. From my Info, he entered the US around 1905 and settled in the Near North Little Sicily area, occupation later listed as baker. I'm not 100% certain but I believe he was Sicilian from Bagheria.

About the other Spingolas. They had several people tied into to Johnny Powers's political machine and its Italian successors in the 19th and 17th wards. Father Giuseppe Spingola was a precinct captain for "De Pow", as was son Peter Spingola. Henry of course ran for state senate but I'm not sure if he won that race (doesn't seem like it). Henry and Peter Spingola were both said to have been involved in the Genna faction. The brothers ran an auto garage which was used as an HQ by the Genna's, Amatuna, Tropea. Albert Anselmi was also spotted at the garage. Interestingly, shortly after Henry Spingola was clipped in January 1926, Agostino and Antonino Morici (the Westside Moricis) were killed. The papers of course reported that this was linked to the Spingola murder (in the sense that they thought these were all "Black Hand" extortion hits), but they also noted that the Moricis had recently purchased a Westside property from James Genna. So while the Genna faction seems to have largely been of Trapanese origin, these Morici may have been linked to it and I belive were from Bagheria. Something else to note.
Thanks for the info Polack.

There was obviously a connection between the Moricis and Gennas and its interesting to note is that by the late 1910s or early 20s, the Moricis were considered being few of the wealthiest Italians in Chicago at the time.
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

I believe this was Riccas dad....this is from 1907....

Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

Ricca's father. Wow. That's maybe the single most interesting thing I've learned to date - what he arrested in NYC?
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

SolarSolano wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:55 am Ricca's father. Wow. That's maybe the single most interesting thing I've learned to date - what he arrested in NYC?
He was arrested in Naples with $20,000 which were allegedly made by Camorristas in New York.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Villain wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:05 am
SolarSolano wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:55 am Ricca's father. Wow. That's maybe the single most interesting thing I've learned to date - what he arrested in NYC?
He was arrested in Naples with $20,000 which were allegedly made by Camorristas in New York.
That is a great find. It could be a game changer.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Antiliar wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:38 am
Thanks and I agree.

It seems that the Camorra also had a criminal network around the country and their base was possibly also in New York. One evidence for that are the letters on DiGiovanni, the second is the case with Riccas dad and the last one i have is a letter that I previously posted in which they talk about their connections in New York, Argentina and other stuff. All three infos come from the 1900's.

Another interesting thing is that both the Mafia and Mainlanders/Camorra were allegedly in alliance long before the days of Prohibition. Second, guys like DiGiovanni, Esposito, Ricca etc. first all passed through New York and later landed in Chicago. Some previously visited other cities under different aliases and some went straight to the second largest city at the time.

This also rises the question if Colosimo was ever inducted into the Camorra or the Morescos were his connections? Same as the Camorra, lots of women involved in the business in those days.

Also, if the Camorra had its own base in New York, what was the time period when they lost their influence because during the mid 1920s Capone allegedly kicked up to the Sicilian Governo Centrale?

In addition, this also shows that Riccas family already received profits from the US, long before he arrived.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

Villain wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:04 am
Thanks and I agree.

It seems that the Camorra also had a criminal network around the country and their base was possibly also in New York. One evidence for that are the letters on DiGiovanni, the second is the case with Riccas dad and the last one i have is a letter that I previously posted in which they talk about their connections in New York, Argentina and other stuff. All three infos come from the 1900's.

Another interesting thing is that both the Mafia and Mainlanders/Camorra were allegedly in alliance long before the days of Prohibition. Second, guys like DiGiovanni, Esposito, Ricca etc. first all passed through New York and later landed in Chicago. Some previously visited other cities under different aliases and some went straight to the second largest city at the time.

This also rises the question if Colosimo was ever inducted into the Camorra or the Morescos were his connections? Same as the Camorra, lots of women involved in the business in those days.

Also, if the Camorra had its own base in New York, what was the time period when they lost their influence because during the mid 1920s Capone allegedly kicked up to the Sicilian Governo Centrale?

In addition, this also shows that Riccas family already received profits from the US, long before he arrived.
Thats cool, if thats Riccas dad. It sounds like the top position of Camorra or close to it.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Thanks and I agree.

At this point though, it has to be pointed out that this Camorra boss only had the same name as Ricca's father. We don't know if this boss was his father, uncle, cousin, or a total stranger with the same name. While doing a search I encountered several Antonio Delucias in the U.S. during that time period, one in New Jersey, one in Rhode Island, another in Connecticut. There was even an Antonio De Lucia arrested in the Naples area around ten years ago. There's nothing in Ricca's FBI file mentioning that his father was ever a Camorra boss. The INS files might have more information.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:42 am
Thanks and I agree.

At this point though, it has to be pointed out that this Camorra boss only had the same name as Ricca's father. We don't know if this boss was his father, uncle, cousin, or a total stranger with the same name. While doing a search I encountered several Antonio Delucias in the U.S. during that time period, one in New Jersey, one in Rhode Island, another in Connecticut. There was even an Antonio De Lucia arrested in the Naples area around ten years ago. There's nothing in Ricca's FBI file mentioning that his father was ever a Camorra boss. The INS files might have more information.
Have you ever confirmed that Ricca's father was an Antonio De Lucia? From what I have, the source for his parents' names was "United States vs. De Lucia" (1957). I personally haven't been successful in verifying Ricca's birth or baptismal records.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Antiliar wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:42 am
I agree again, meaning we shouldnt jump to conclusions.

The article talks about one Antonio DeLucia who was arrested in Naples with money sent from New York. We dont know if that same DeLucia ever visited the US but we know that he was connected to a criminal network.

Riccas family first lived in Naples and later moved to a near small town. We also know that Ricca first arrived in New York and later went to Chicago. This corresponds with the story regarding "recruits" coming to the states.

Also, Riccas dad shot to death Raffaele Perillo and this guys son shouldve married Riccas sister i think. Ricca killed with a knife, same as DiGiovanni and story goes that the knife was a weapon usually used by the Camorra at the time, although i see this last statement as pure myth or legend.

I also believe that Riccas sister Emilia also committed a murder and some of his brothers-in-law were on high places like for example Michelangelo Chiacchio was a famous lawyer in Naples, Italy and was married to the Ricca’s’s sister Louisa. There was also another brother-in-law, Enrico Iervolino who was married to his sister Clementina, but this guy was quite influential, meaning he was the long time Mayor of Ottaviano, Italy.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

PolackTony wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:59 am
Have you ever confirmed that Ricca's father was an Antonio De Lucia? From what I have, the source for his parents' names was "United States vs. De Lucia" (1957). I personally haven't been successful in verifying Ricca's birth or baptismal records.
Just FBI files and reported testimony in the newspapers. I'm not sure if the records for Ottaviano are online, but I haven't looked.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

I think Ricca's dad died in January 1925 at the age of 55 so back in 1907 he was in his late 30s.

Btw wasnt there a member from one of the NY fams who was allegedly Riccas cousin and also went by the name of DeLucia?