General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

PolackTony
Filthy Few

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by PolackTony »

Villain wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:06 pm
Frank wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:59 pm
Villain wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:39 am The Spingola family was also allegedly instrumental regarding Riccas stay in Chicago.
Were the Spingolas in the life
Henry Spingola was a Taylor St Mafioso and associate of the Gennas who was killed during Prohibition and some family members were also involved in ward politics.
I'd add that Henry Spingola was also Angelo Genna's brother in law. Henry's little sister Lucille Spingola married Angelo in January of 1925. The marriage was not long for the world, of course, as Angelo was killed just a few months later in May 1925. Henry was himself killed in 1926. Lucille subsequently remarried a fellow Calabrese, Charles Spizzirri. As a side note, and in the interest of noting some of these names that recur across the history of the Outfit, one wonders if this Spizzirri was related to Richie and Johnny Spizzirri who were associates of the the EP crew and allegedly collectors for D'Amico in the 80s/90s.

If Villain is correct and the Spingolas had something to do with Ricca winding up in Chicago, this could also point back to Antiliar's original question about Torrio's role. I personally suspect that Torrio himself may have arrived in Chicago due to links (perhaps via his stepfather) to some Calabrese underworld network that included Colosimo and the Morescos. If so, perhaps Frankie Yale was also connected to it. If that were the case, it would be conceivable that Torrio, Capone, and Ricca all wound up working in Chicago due at least in part to some Camorra-like network of Calabresi gangsters spanning NYC and Chicago (and I'd imagine other cities of course). I'd note here that Angelo Genna marrying one of the Spingolas, like Jimmy Vinci marrying Josephine Morici, may be a clue that the Calabresi and Sicilians were forming close ties which they formalized via inter-clan marriages. Something to think about at least.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:05 pm If Villain is correct and the Spingolas had something to do with Ricca winding up in Chicago, this could also point back to Antiliar's original question about Torrio's role. I personally suspect that Torrio himself may have arrived in Chicago due to links (perhaps via his stepfather) to some Calabrese underworld network that included Colosimo and the Morescos. If so, perhaps Frankie Yale was also connected to it. If that were the case, it would be conceivable that Torrio, Capone, and Ricca all wound up working in Chicago due at least in part to some Camorra-like network of Calabresi gangsters spanning NYC and Chicago (and I'd imagine other cities of course). I'd note here that Angelo Genna marrying one of the Spingolas, like Jimmy Vinci marrying Josephine Morici, may be a clue that the Calabresi and Sicilians were forming close ties which they formalized via inter-clan marriages. Something to think about at least.
Whether they were instrumental or not its not that important, but what is important is that the Spingolas knew Ricca from the early days which corresponds on what you said. In addition,theres one 1920 article which says that back during the late 1900's Colosimo with the help of one of his old bodyguards (no names were mentioned) made contacts to the "leaders of the Camorra" and an alleged meeting occurred on which some three guys who tried to extort Colosimo were also present. After the meeting, that same night, those same three men were allegedly killed somewhere on Archer Av i think. This is a case that needs to be investigated so we can see if the story is true. Colosimo didnt have one bodyguard during those days but Torrio was one of them. They all arrived around the late 1900's and other guys didnt stop arriving until the early 1930's.

Also, the letters found on DiGiovanni in 1901 tells us that there was either a national Camorra network or he was one of the first Mainlanders made by the Mafia...theres no third option.
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Villain wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:27 am
PolackTony wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:05 pm If Villain is correct and the Spingolas had something to do with Ricca winding up in Chicago, this could also point back to Antiliar's original question about Torrio's role. I personally suspect that Torrio himself may have arrived in Chicago due to links (perhaps via his stepfather) to some Calabrese underworld network that included Colosimo and the Morescos. If so, perhaps Frankie Yale was also connected to it. If that were the case, it would be conceivable that Torrio, Capone, and Ricca all wound up working in Chicago due at least in part to some Camorra-like network of Calabresi gangsters spanning NYC and Chicago (and I'd imagine other cities of course). I'd note here that Angelo Genna marrying one of the Spingolas, like Jimmy Vinci marrying Josephine Morici, may be a clue that the Calabresi and Sicilians were forming close ties which they formalized via inter-clan marriages. Something to think about at least.
Whether they were instrumental or not its not that important, but what is important is that the Spingolas knew Ricca from the early days which corresponds on what you said. In addition,theres one 1920 article which says that back during the late 1900's Colosimo with the help of one of his old bodyguards (no names were mentioned) made contacts to the "leaders of the Camorra" and an alleged meeting occurred on which some three guys who tried to extort Colosimo were also present. After the meeting, that same night, those same three men were allegedly killed somewhere on Archer Av i think. This is a case that needs to be investigated so we can see if the story is true. Colosimo didnt have one bodyguard during those days but Torrio was one of them. They all arrived around the late 1900's and other guys didnt stop arriving until the early 1930's.

Also, the letters found on DiGiovanni in 1901 tells us that there was either a national Camorra network or he was one of the first Mainlanders made by the Mafia...theres no third option.
Here's the story of the event you're referring to: http://chicagocrimescenes.blogspot.com/ ... ohnny.html

What do you have to link Ricca to the Spingolas?
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Antiliar wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:57 am
Villain wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:27 am

Here's the story of the event you're referring to: http://chicagocrimescenes.blogspot.com/ ... ohnny.html

What do you have to link Ricca to the Spingolas?
Thanks.

You can find part of the Spingola/Ricca information in some of the Roselli files, especially the ones regarding the paroles of Ricca, Campagna etc. and the Singolas donated cash. I think one Salvatore Spingola was questioned by agents at the time...ill try to find it...and there are also some newspaper clips from that time period with testimonies from numerous guys and the Spingola name is often misspelled and im not sure but i also think they were mentioned during the Kefauver hearings regarding Ricca, Campagna and stuff..
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Heres the one from the Roselli files...ill try to find the rest...

Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Villain wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:26 am Heres the one from the Roselli files...ill try to find the rest...

I saw this in Rosselli's file, but found no indication that the donors themselves were part of organized crime. I think many of them were probably pressured to donate. Have no idea if this person is related to the Henry Spingola who was killed in 1926.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Antiliar wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:38 am
Villain wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:26 am Heres the one from the Roselli files...ill try to find the rest...

I saw this in Rosselli's file, but found no indication that the donors themselves were part of organized crime. I think many of them were probably pressured to donate. Have no idea if this person is related to the Henry Spingola who was killed in 1926.
Well they were related to Charles Spizzirri who married Henrys wife, and i dont think that the Spingolas or any of the known families were forced to donate but instead it was expected from them to do it.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

This is Henry Spingola's family. The Mrs. Caroline Spingola they attempted to interview was Carolina Di Maio, Henry's mother. Salvatore Spingola was one of his younger brothers, and brother in law Charles Spizzirri was the guy who married sister Lucille Spingola after her first husband Angelo Genna was killed.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Villain wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:52 am

Well they were related to Charles Spizzirri who married Henrys wife, and i dont think that the Spingolas or any of the known families were forced to donate but instead it was expected from them to do it.
Just to clarify, Charles Spizzirri married Lucille Spingola, Angelo Genna's widow.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:55 am
Villain wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:52 am

Just to clarify, Charles Spizzirri married Lucille Spingola, Angelo Genna's widow.
Oh ok, thanks for the correction.

In addition,Salvatore Spingola clearly mentions that his family was connected to the DeLucia family for "many many years" so theres probably some relation. Spingola also "borrowed" money from various families in the neighborhood and so maybe he was the one who.pressurred other families to give cash for the donation, who knows?!
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Caroline Spingola was obviously related to Henry....so yeah i was right, these were the same Spingolas who were long time associated with Ricca and this also corresponds with the rumors that he was also associated with the Gennas....

PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Villain wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:52 am Caroline Spingola was obviously related to Henry....so yeah i was right, these were the same Spingolas who were long time associated with Ricca and this also corresponds with the rumors that he was also associated with the Gennas....

Caroline Spingola was Henry's mother -- Carolina Di Maio, wife of Giuseppe Spingola Sr. They both emigrated to Chicago from Cosenza, Calabria.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:55 am
Villain wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:52 am Caroline Spingola was obviously related to Henry....so yeah i was right, these were the same Spingolas who were long time associated with Ricca and this also corresponds with the rumors that he was also associated with the Gennas....

Caroline Spingola was Henry's mother -- Carolina Di Maio, wife of Giuseppe Spingola Sr. They both emigrated to Chicago from Cosenza, Calabria.
Thats right and thanks for the confirmation bud. G. Spingola was also involved in 19th ward politics.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Good job. Thanks for the clarification, guys. Nothing like teamwork.

I might upload my Paul Ricca FBI files to the Internet Archive because of its search function, which is better than Adobe's, which often doesn't work at all.
Last edited by Antiliar on Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Btw, do we know something about one Lorenzo Spingola from the 1910s?