Pete DiFronzo dead from Corona Virus

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

PolackTony
Filthy Few

Re: Pete DiFronzo dead from Corona Virus

Post by PolackTony »

funkster wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:20 pm I dont believe Gary Gags is dead. He was mentioned by Mags in one of the Fosco interviews a four or five years ago as being someone he was concerned about offending by giving the interview. My guess is he should be considered a likely member. I also find it very hard to fathom that Spina is not also a member.
Yeah I haven't seen anything else stating Gary Gags died so I wanted to throw it out there to see if anyone else had further info. I'm assuming myself that he's alive until proven otherwise.

And agreed on Spina, but stranger things have happened in the world of the Chicago Mafia. I would've absolutely assumed that Marco D'Amico was made as well. If Spina was made, and Vena for that matter, the questions remain of when and by whom and with what sponsors, etc. Seems pretty likely to me that there were making ceremonies that Nicky Calabrese hadn't disclosed either because he didn't know about them or they occurred after he got pinched.

We just have so little to go on for Chicago and huge holes remain in our understanding of their inner workings and hierarchy for significant periods of time. Hopefully some of this will be cleared up in future unredacted versions of the documents that Snakes has referenced. Otherwise we're left waiting for one of the remaining made guys to flip and spill the beans. It's fully possible that the guys left take their secrets to the grave like Lombardo and so many others, and we may very well remain in the dark about much of the Outfit's history.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

PolackTony wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:36 pm
funkster wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:20 pm I dont believe Gary Gags is dead. He was mentioned by Mags in one of the Fosco interviews a four or five years ago as being someone he was concerned about offending by giving the interview. My guess is he should be considered a likely member. I also find it very hard to fathom that Spina is not also a member.
Yeah I haven't seen anything else stating Gary Gags died so I wanted to throw it out there to see if anyone else had further info. I'm assuming myself that he's alive until proven otherwise.

And agreed on Spina, but stranger things have happened in the world of the Chicago Mafia. I would've absolutely assumed that Marco D'Amico was made as well. If Spina was made, and Vena for that matter, the questions remain of when and by whom and with what sponsors, etc. Seems pretty likely to me that there were making ceremonies that Nicky Calabrese hadn't disclosed either because he didn't know about them or they occurred after he got pinched.

We just have so little to go on for Chicago and huge holes remain in our understanding of their inner workings and hierarchy for significant periods of time. Hopefully some of this will be cleared up in future unredacted versions of the documents that Snakes has referenced. Otherwise we're left waiting for one of the remaining made guys to flip and spill the beans. It's fully possible that the guys left take their secrets to the grave like Lombardo and so many others, and we may very well remain in the dark about much of the Outfit's history.
I don't think he would have even known about the 1988 ceremony if DiForti hadn't been a part of it. I believe that's the whole reason LaPietra forwarded him the info. I believe Nick even went so far as to say that LaPietra was not supposed to have disclosed that information. Chicago obviously had its share of gossips but by keeping the number of made members down, not having more than two significant made snitches within the past 30ish years (only one of whom fully cooperated), and keeping the disclosure of information to a minimum or on a need-to-know basis (even as far as bosses were concerned) has made it extremely difficult to discern the structure of the organization as well as who was made. Obviously, there are sources known only to the FBI (at least until a few more guys croak) that allow for a better understanding but none that has been readily available to the public. All of the above have made it extremely difficult to get an accurate hold on things, even in comparison to tight-lipped families on the East Coast, like the Genovese (whose hierarchy is similarly muddled).
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

PolackTony wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:24 pm
Snakes wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:08 pm There is a Joe Calato and a Joe Cullotta. Calato was busted with DiVarco back in the mid-80s but was in his mid-thirties. Meanwhile, the Grand Avenue guy everyone is thinking about may have been the same guy but with his last name misspelled as "Cullotta" appeared to be much older in his CCC photo even 15 years ago. They do have separate birthdates, but I know some people presumed they were the same person. This was the guy sick with cancer but I'm not sure if he is dead or not. To confuse things even further, Frank's brother is also named Joe but I believe he is/was a legit barber. Again, I have heard conflicting evidence.

At any rate, "Joe Kong," regardless of surname, is who should be here as a possible member.
Yes there are/were of course a number of Joe Calatos and Joe Cullottas in Chicago so it's still a bit unclear to me who was who. The Joe Calato busted with Divarco was born ~1950. Then there's Frank's brother Joe Cullotta, a barber who I've heard from different guys over time was either 100% legit or absolutely connected. Then there was another Joe Cullotta who was born ~1947 who was busted in 1966 for sticking up a corner store near Diversey and Harlem. I think this is the same Joe Cullotta who was in the papers in 1980 for a stand off with the police with a shotgun.

It seems possible that both of these Joe Cullottas were the same person. Frank Cullotta's dad was also a Joseph Cullotta, born in Chicago in 1908 to parents most likely from Cefalu. This Joe Cullotta Sr then died in 1947 in a car chase in Oak Park. The 1940 census shows only Frank and his sister Jean as Joe Sr's kids. Therefore Frank's brother Joe likely was born sometime between 1940 and Joe Sr's death in 1947, consistent with the 1946/1947 birth of the Joe Cullotta from the above paragraph.
I have a birthdate for the "other" Joe Kong but I'll have to dig it up. I think it's similar to the 1946 or 1947 that you estimate. Joe Calato was born in 1950.
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

The vending machine guy is Giuseppe Joey Kong Culotta. He is Frank's brother - one of 13 kids or something crazy. Lived in Melrose Park on 24th street. I'm not sure he was really as powerful as people say or he was being confused for Calato (a different guy who I don't know). Joey Kong was a street guy - and I'm fairly certain he's now in hospice. He was around Guy Cervone going back years and then worked for MArco D'Amico and Centracchio - I'm always confused where or why he's labeled a boss.

Joe Calato is a different guy - not sure if he was with Grand Avenue or not.

Does anyone know if Louis Bombacino is still alive?
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

I think Scott said they were brothers but I didn't think they were. Anyway, maybe this is best served in a separate thread so poor Petey can get his due.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Snakes wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:32 pm I did a quick reorg of the charts section:
Senior Members (All are confirmed as "made" or due to seniority and available information can reasonably be identified as such):
Joseph "The Builder" Andriacchi/87
Frank "Toots" Caruso/74 - 26th Street
Salvatore "Solly D" DeLaurentis/81
Rudolph "Rudy" Fratto/76 - Elmwood Park
James "Jimmy I" Inendino/77 - Cicero
Albert "Albie" Vena/71 - Grand Avenue

Additional members who are confirmed as "made" or can be reasonably be identified as such based on available information:
Bruno Caruso/74
Salvatore "Sally C" Cataudella/66
Nicholas "Jumbo" Guzzino/77*
Michael "Mags" Magnafichi/56*
John "Pudgy" Matassa, Jr./68*
Michael "Big Mike" Spano, Sr./78

Individuals who are not confirmed as made but have been cited as such by "non-official" sources (CCC, Scott B, anecdotal evidence, etc.):
Robert "Bobby the Boxer" Abbinanti/64
Robert "Gabeet" Bellavia/79
Leo Caruso/76
Nicholas "Nicky C" Cataudella/58
Joseph "Joe Kong" Cullotta/72
Anthony Dote/67
Gary Gagliano/75
Rocco Lombardo/78
Alphonse Mitria/70
Robert "Pinocchio" Panozzo/59 (IP 6/16/2026)
Lawrence "Larry" Pettit/91
Christopher Spina/67
Michael "Neff" Talarico/66

Imprisoned Members:
James "Jimmy the Man" Marcello/75 (IP/L)
Michael "Big Mike" Sarno/61 (10/25/2032)

Members Who Have Died Since 1998 (*=suspected; remaining names are confirmed "made" or reasonably believed to be "made"):
Donald Angelini (2000)
Carmine Bastone (2002)
Salvatore Bastone (1998)
Frank "The Horse" Buccieri (2004)
Marshall "Johnny Marshall" Caifano (2003)
Anthony Calabrese (2018)*
Frank Calabrese, Sr. (2012)
Michael Castaldo (2005)
Anthony Centracchio (2001)
James Cerone (2012)*
Anthony "Hatch" Chiaramonti (2001) (Murdered)
Dominic "Large" Cortina (1999)
James Vincent "Jimmy" Cozzo (2007)*
Marco "The Mover" D'Amico (2020)*
Charles "Specs" DiCaro (2011)*
James "Poker" DiForti (2000)
John "Johnny Bananas" DiFronzo (2018)
Peter DiFronzo (2020)
Joseph Grieco (2013)
Ernest Rocco "Rocky" Infelise (2005)
Angelo "The Bull/Hook" LaPietra (1999)
Joseph "Joey the Clown/Lumbo" Lombardo (2019)
Louis Marino (2017)
William "Willie" Messino (2002)
John "Johnny Apes" Monteleone (2001)
Bernard "Snooky" Morgano (2010)
Romeo "Romie" Nappi (2001) (identified as made by Joe Fosco but little contemporary sources exist)
Dominick Palermo (2005)
Alfred Pilotto (1999)
Philip Ponto (1999)
Albert Rossetti
Fred Roti (1999)
Donald "Sponge" Scalise (2013)*
Vito Spillone (2015)
Albert Tocco (2005)
Alfonso "Pizza Al" Tornabene (2009)
Anthony Zizzo (2006) (Disappeared/Presumed Murdered)

Members Who Have Flipped (*=suspected member):
Anthony Amatore (CI/Deceased)*
Victor Arrigo/Soldier (Deceased)
Dominic "Butch" Blasi (CI/Deceased)
Nicholas Calabrese/Soldier
Louis "Lew Farrell" Fratto (CI/Deceased)
Rocco Pranno (CI/Deceased)
Gerald Scarpelli/Soldier (Deceased)

Notable Associates Who Have Flipped:
Ken "Tokyo Joe" Eto (Deceased)
William "B.J." Jahoda (Deceased)
Leonard "Lenny" Patrick (Deceased)
Ralph Pierce (CI/Deceased)
People may recall Little Al talked about a list of 47 Outfit members the FBI released to the Chicago press in 1999. If you take the approximately 30 dead members listed above and subtract that, it leaves 17 - pretty close to the 14 known members still living. The 1999 and 2005 figures really aid in helping us have a pretty good guess of how many guys are left today. If we're off, it's likely not by more than a few members.
All roads lead to New York.
funkster
Full Patched

Post by funkster »

Snakes wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:59 pm

I don't think he would have even known about the 1988 ceremony if DiForti hadn't been a part of it. I believe that's the whole reason LaPietra forwarded him the info. I believe Nick even went so far as to say that LaPietra was not supposed to have disclosed that information. Chicago obviously had its share of gossips but by keeping the number of made members down, not having more than two significant made snitches within the past 30ish years (only one of whom fully cooperated), and keeping the disclosure of information to a minimum or on a need-to-know basis (even as far as bosses were concerned) has made it extremely difficult to discern the structure of the organization as well as who was made. Obviously, there are sources known only to the FBI (at least until a few more guys croak) that allow for a better understanding but none that has been readily available to the public. All of the above have made it extremely difficult to get an accurate hold on things, even in comparison to tight-lipped families on the East Coast, like the Genovese (whose hierarchy is similarly muddled).
I think this is probably correct. As I recall, he even said there were made guys he heard about in later years that he didnt know at all.

The feds have had zero reason to release an updated number, if there is one, it would be weird if they did.
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

funkster wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:03 pm

I think this is probably correct. As I recall, he even said there were made guys he heard about in later years that he didnt know at all.

The feds have had zero reason to release an updated number, if there is one, it would be weird if they did.
Yes it seems like the outfit purposely kept a lot of that information unknown to other members. For instance they would use guys from different crews who didn’t know each other. I believe on the spilotro brothers hit there were 3 guys that he had know idea who they were and I don’t believe were ever identified. I believe it was the 3 guys that killed tony. If I remember correctly nick, Louie eboli, and Lou mArino killed Michael while the other 3 guys killed Tony. Contrary to popular belief according to nick, carlisi, ferriola, difronzo, and marcello were upstairs while the brothers were killed in the basement and did not take part in the actual killing

In addition a separate crew, Chicago heights buried them to keep the guys who killed them from knowing where they were buried
I agree with phat,I love those old fucks and he's right.we all got some cosa nostra in us.I personnely love the life.I think we on the forum would be the ultimate crew! - camerono
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Pete wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:29 pm

Yes it seems like the outfit purposely kept a lot of that information unknown to other members. For instance they would use guys from different crews who didn’t know each other. I believe on the spilotro brothers hit there were 3 guys that he had know idea who they were and I don’t believe were ever identified. I believe it was the 3 guys that killed tony. If I remember correctly nick, Louie eboli, and Lou mArino killed Michael while the other 3 guys killed Tony. Contrary to popular belief according to nick, carlisi, ferriola, difronzo, and marcello were upstairs while the brothers were killed in the basement and did not take part in the actual killing

In addition a separate crew, Chicago heights buried them to keep the guys who killed them from knowing where they were buried
I thought DiFronzo was downstairs and participated. Marcello was upstairs with Jimmy LaPietra and Fecarotta, if I remember right. I can't imagine old ass Carlisi or Ferriola (who had shit health even then) participated very much on the physical side of things. DiFronzo still seemed spry enough to stomp someone's head in even during the Goudie interview so I could see him getting some licks in. Nick gave him the piece he got off of Mike, too.
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

Snakes wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:33 pm

I thought DiFronzo was downstairs and participated. Marcello was upstairs with Jimmy LaPietra and Fecarotta, if I remember right. I can't imagine old ass Carlisi or Ferriola (who had shit health even then) participated very much on the physical side of things. DiFronzo still seemed spry enough to stomp someone's head in even during the Goudie interview so I could see him getting some licks in. Nick gave him the piece he got off of Mike, too.
He could have left out details but the way he explained it in his testimony he walked in the top guys I mentioned were upstairs he talked to them for a minute then when down to the basement. Carlisi made a joke about how tan him and fecarotta were and they thought it was a comment to all the time and money they wasted when they were out in Vegas to try and kill the brothers. Fecarotta he said thought the hit was for him and went in the bathroom in the basement apparently sick to his stomach. Next thing is he said someone said here they come and he described who did what. He was very clear on who killed Michael as he was the one who grabbed him after shaking his hand and then eboli came up and put a rope around his neck. He did mention how after it was over he gave the gun to difronzo but it sounded like they came down after. I’ll check again but I’m almost positive it was the 3 I mentioned on Michael and another 3 on Tony who he didn’t know. It sounded much different then the free for all type story I remember being reported with all the bosses and everyone getting their licks in. Michael specifically I think surrendered right away and was dead within minutes of going downstairs. Tony did ask to say a prayer and after that nick said he didn’t hear anything else said
I agree with phat,I love those old fucks and he's right.we all got some cosa nostra in us.I personnely love the life.I think we on the forum would be the ultimate crew! - camerono
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

Back to Pete difronzo. Back when he was made you definitely had to make your bones. I can’t think of any hits he was involved with. Anyone know anything?
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc7chicag ... ry/8593184

Good stuff here on an investigation about Pete and the outfit in the mid 90’s. Shows a chart here with a Andrew Lombardo as Joey Lombardo’s messenger. Anyone know more about him?
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Pete wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:45 pm
Snakes wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:33 pm

He could have left out details but the way he explained it in his testimony he walked in the top guys I mentioned were upstairs he talked to them for a minute then when down to the basement. Carlisi made a joke about how tan him and fecarotta were and they thought it was a comment to all the time and money they wasted when they were out in Vegas to try and kill the brothers. Fecarotta he said thought the hit was for him and went in the bathroom in the basement apparently sick to his stomach. Next thing is he said someone said here they come and he described who did what. He was very clear on who killed Michael as he was the one who grabbed him after shaking his hand and then eboli came up and put a rope around his neck. He did mention how after it was over he gave the gun to difronzo but it sounded like they came down after. I’ll check again but I’m almost positive it was the 3 I mentioned on Michael and another 3 on Tony who he didn’t know. It sounded much different then the free for all type story I remember being reported with all the bosses and everyone getting their licks in. Michael specifically I think surrendered right away and was dead within minutes of going downstairs. Tony did ask to say a prayer and after that nick said he didn’t hear anything else said
The way you described it is how I remembered it. I don't know if he specifically said they (the capos) were down there or not during the actual murders. Makes sense that guys like Nick, Eboli, Marino, etc. would be downstairs as they wouldn't otherwise be at a making ceremony but I'm not sure the Spilotros had time to process that anyway.
funkster
Full Patched

Post by funkster »

Re-reading the FS trial transcripts for the first time in a long time, Richie Mara's testimony brings up a ton of names i havent heard in awhile. Does anyone know if Jimmy I's brother in law Tony Glallichio is still alive?
funkster
Full Patched

Post by funkster »

Pete wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:30 pm https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc7chicag ... ry/8593184

Good stuff here on an investigation about Pete and the outfit in the mid 90’s. Shows a chart here with a Andrew Lombardo as Joey Lombardo’s messenger. Anyone know more about him?
Christ almighty, Binder's got one hell of a collection. Imagine the shit like those surveillance pics we've never seen.