Montreal war biggest example of how the lcn has fallen?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Montreal war biggest example of how the lcn has fallen?

Post by B. »

There are more questions than answers about the formation of the Montreal crew. There were Castellammare settlers in that area and the Maranzanos had ties there. I have to believe that there was some relationship farther back than the 1950s when Galante is said to have gone there and claimed it. By that time the connection seems to have nothing to do with Castellammare aside from Galante's family being from there, but it seems very possible to me that the Sicilian element in Montreal had known members of the Bonanno family.

Magaddino, another from Castellamare, claimed that he was in Montreal before the Bonanos. Hard to say how that relates to Maranzano's ties there... there could be a connection just as easily as not since the two were said to be rivals.
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

Maranzano and Magaddino were rivals, or do you mean Bonanno?
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Lupara wrote:Maranzano and Magaddino were rivals, or do you mean Bonanno?
Yeah, Maranzano and Magaddino had some kind of rivalry. Not enemies but Joe Bonanno talks about it and Magaddino himself seems to confirm it in wiretaps.
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

It seems Magaddino was quite the troublemaker with a huge ego. He must have been frustrated that he had to leave New York and seeing the larger Castellamarese group prosper under Maranzano and his younger cousin.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Lupara wrote:It seems Magaddino was quite the troublemaker with a huge ego. He must have been frustrated that he had to leave New York and seeing the larger Castellammarese group prosper under Maranzano and his younger cousin.
Yeah, Joe Bonanno twisted some things in his book to make himself look better, but I was surprised how spot on he was about Magaddino once I got a chance to see those transcripts. He thought that the Bonannos had a huge wedding for Bill Bonanno as a personal insult to Magaddino. Pretty much anything he didn't like was interpreted as a personal insult.
dixiemafia
Full Patched

Post by dixiemafia »

Yea they definitely feuded without a doubt. Dumbass Bill even blamed Maggadino for something on one of these documentaries that are floating around. They all claim it started when Joe was given his family and Maggadino was jealous but that was Joe/Bill's claims. As we all know there, we could probably poke holes in both sides theories honestly.
If I didn't have my case coming up, I would like to come back with you gentlemen when this is over with and really lay the law down what is going on in this country.....
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

If Magaddino's behaviour wasn't jealousy, then I don't know what is.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Here's a theory I just want to throw out there. Maybe it can be disproven, maybe not...

What if Montagna was on record with Sciascia pre-2000? Though he was known as capo of the Montreal crew, the Bronx-based Sciascia had associates in NY as well. I have to wonder if Montagna was connected to him and if Sciascia's death caused Montagna to be put with DeFilippo. It would mean that Montagna was technically a part of the same crew as the Montreal guys going back to the 90s.