Andrew Scoppa

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Re: Andrew Scoppa

Post by CabriniGreen »

Lupara wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:11 pm This is the revelation we Montreal fanboys were hoping for, for a long time. Scoppa would be in a position to know pretty much anything. It's almost on the scale of Massino, with the big difference that no info is withheld. This is a major turning point in gaining the ultimate knowledge on Canadian affairs. Would I be exaggerating to say it's Valachi 2.0? I'm sure I don't need to tell you guys who know me how I excited I am about it (despire some personal problems I'm dealing with now). I'll try to keep an eye on this thread as much as I can, and my appreciation goes out to Cabrini, antimafia and others.
Good to see you back my man! No Montreal thread seems quite right without your post.....
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

CabriniGreen wrote:
Lupara wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:11 pm This is the revelation we Montreal fanboys were hoping for, for a long time. Scoppa would be in a position to know pretty much anything. It's almost on the scale of Massino, with the big difference that no info is withheld. This is a major turning point in gaining the ultimate knowledge on Canadian affairs. Would I be exaggerating to say it's Valachi 2.0? I'm sure I don't need to tell you guys who know me how I excited I am about it (despire some personal problems I'm dealing with now). I'll try to keep an eye on this thread as much as I can, and my appreciation goes out to Cabrini, antimafia and others.
Good to see you back my man! No Montreal thread seems quite right without your post.....
[emoji4]

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Hope all is well, Lupara.

CG -- thanks for typing out summaries.

- Montreal may not have any history of formal induction ceremonies. The Bonanno family has been known to skip traditional induction ceremonies since at least the 1940s and from the 1970s-2000s it appears all Bonanno "ceremonies" were informal. If it's true Montreal stopped having formal ceremonies (hard to tell exactly how literal the statement from what Scoppa is meant to be), it would be in line with Bonanno family history and the Buffalo-sanctioned Bonanno induction in Canada a few years back. A source in the 1960s said Buffalo had stopped doing formal ceremonies much earlier.

- Carmine Galante is believed to have inducted many of the first known Montreal members and he would have approved/overseen the inductions of other Montreal names while he was boss in the 1970s. Galante didn't perform the traditional induction in the 1970s, just a verbal initiation in some cases held in public spaces. Seems possible Galante was similarly casual with inductions in 1950s Montreal and they would have maintained this after getting their own local capodecina.

- It's difficult to tell so far how Scoppa viewed his own formal affiliation. I understand why experts like Laurentian say you can't view Montreal the same way you would another city, but I think you have to see it through both lenses. On the ground in Montreal, there is a collaborative network of mafia figures, gangs, bikers, and criminals who give the mafia immense strength but they're not officially one organization. You can't completely ignore formal affiliation even if it has little impact on day-to-day matters. Life moved on quickly in Montreal after Salvatore Montagna's death, but his presence was significant enough for a time to help launch a major attack on the local Montreal leadership. I don't believe he would have been able to do what he did if there wasn't a foundation in Montreal who understood their position as Bonanno soldiers and took direction from a Bonanno acting boss. No doubt there was plenty of opportunism filling in the gaps, as always.

Maybe Scoppa's info will help shed light on some of this.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

Note: Text in italics are direct excerpts from the book, not my post or thoughts.....

Going forward, if there are questions about the specific wording in the book, tell me the Chapter in question, and I'll post excerpts, so you guys can draw your own conclusions........

Onward we go.....

Chapter 7: Loyalty

From Scoppa.....

loyalty doesn't exist anymore”… “The day Vito was extradited to the United States, August 17, 2006, he knew that shit was going to get bogged down here,” Scoppa explains to us. A bunch of people thought that we would never see him here again, that he would not come back, that he was finished.

So the minute he left, attitudes changed. Overnight, guys who had always respected and held him in high esteem started talking about him like he didn't exist anymore. “Go to the devil! they said. Good riddance! It's our turn now!

A couple thoughts.....

This to me evokes Michael Corleone in "2"; " All our people are businessmen, their LOYALTY is based on that". In their minds, with Vito gone, THEY, would wield the power....

I only say this to illustrate that there were, for lack of a better word, factions. This wasnt an assault by one crew,
it was very much a coalition of forces.

Chapter 7 Continued.....

• Vito hired a team of six lawyers, among them Louis Cavaliere, and Alan Dershowitz, " prominent American lawyer and human rights activist, most notably known for defending OJ Simpson, boxer Mike Tyson, as well as wealthy New York businessman and sex offender. Jeffrey Epstein, found hanged in his cell in a New York prison following his last indictment in the summer of 2019".

• The authors threw this mess in here, so I'll add it just for laughs......

During the 1980s and 1990s, the same Epstein and his wife, Ghislaine Maxwell, also arrested for sex crimes in the summer of 2020, had been neighbors and friends of the future President of the United States, Donald Trump.

“For years, if you didn't know Trump or Epstein, you were nobody. You were a nobody, "Dershowitz told The New York Times in 2019, in an article recalling that Epstein was invited to a select party at Trump's second home in Florida, the Mar-a-Lago club, in 1992.

Proof that the world is small, Me Dershowitz and Irwin Cotler, then Canadian Minister of Justice, who are responsible for authorizing or not Vito Rizzuto's extradition to New York State, unless the higher courts advise otherwise, have been old friends since the 1960s, when they were in college.

• Winter 2005, while awaiting the Court of Appeals, Vito is transferred from the provincial prison in Riviere des Prairies to the federal penitentiary in Sainte-Anne-des-Plaines.

• In federal custody, Rizzuto comes into contact with Greg Woolley. The two developed a rapport, and were often seen socializing. Woolley is described as " The Godfather of the Blacks", ( a silly title, lol) and an influential man in Quebec organized crime.

• Francesco Arcadi, Acting Boss in Vitos absence, looks at the street gangs like animals, and does not have the same attitude as Vito as far as a working relationship. Apparently, a young mafioso was killed by a street gang member a year earlier, and Arcadi held a grudge.

Stray thought...
An impression is given that Arcadi wasnt an effective administrator.......or rather, wasnt AS effective an administrator as Vito.....

From the Chapter

On the the ground, the intransigence and strong methods of Arcadi and his lieutenants are far from unanimous. His haughty and aggressive character - the police record him summoning one of his bullies to threaten someone to "slit his throat like a goat" - contrasts with the sense of diplomacy and the unifying style of the godfather Rizzuto. Several accuse Arcadi of having authorized the murder of mafioso Giovanni "Johnny" Bertolo, in August 2005. The latter was one of the best friends of the boss Raynald Desjardins, who never digested his assassination

The murder of Bertolo was what severed Dejardins from the Rizzuto camp. It was kinda Arcadis fault.....

AUGUST 11, 2005 Murder of Giovanni Bertolo, 46, was strafed by three individuals as he left a gym on Boulevard Henri-Bourassa.

During the 1990s, he took responsibility for his bosses in a case involving the importation of 58 kg of cocaine and was sentenced to 12 years in prison.

At the time of his assassination, he wanted to resume service without constraint, which would have made him a potential competitor for some individuals. Bertolo was a union representative for a local section of the FTQ-Construction and a great friend of Raynald Desjardins.

From Scoppa

There was a lot of friction back then. Especially after the murder of Domenico Macri on August 30, 2006. It happened on Henri-Bourassa, very close to Arcadi's residence. He got shot by a guy on a motorcycle.

It was retaliation for the murder of "Johnny" Bertolo, which had occurred a year earlier. Bertolo was a good guy. He was very good friends with Raynald Desjardins and Jocelyn Dupuis, the former leader of the FTQ-Construction.

He was also the mentor of Vic [Vittorio] Mirarchi, who later teamed up with Raynald. The order to eliminate Bertolo came from Arcadi, Skunk [Giordano] and Chit [Del Balso]. Why? Because Bertolo was not listening to them. Finally, Arcadi got scared, and immediately after Macri's murder he consecrated his camp in Italy, where he went into hiding for a few months.

"There was tension in the air when the RCMP arrested all the new leaders in Operation Colosseum in November 2006. But that is nothing compared to what happened three years later ..."

• Despite what Vitale said, Vito never admitted to being the shooter to the FBI, only that his job was to say, " This is a holdup!".

From Scoppa.....

"Vito knew he was in turmoil around October 2003 after the arrest of Sal Vitale and Joe Massino, who became informers," Andrew Scoppa tells us on a Barcelona beach.

Vito immediately left to take refuge in Cuba for a few months. When he returned, [Paolo] Gervasi was killed on January 19, 2004. In the evening, Vito went out into town. And the next day he got arrested.

Everyone knew that the American authorities were demanding his extradition in New York, it was in all the newspapers. The day of his arrest, there was general panic.

There was a lot of nervousness in the air.

Obviously, Vito's family were devastated and felt vulnerable. The pillar of the family ended up in prison. I don't think anyone saw it coming, other than Vito himself. Vito, it was the glue that held the whole house of cards in place, the mortar that kept the brick building from falling apart.

Who was going to take his place?

“The guys around him like [Paolo] Renda, Compare Frank [Arcadi], Rocco [Sollecito], Lorenzo [Giordano], they had meetings. Some have met at the Consenza. Everyone's common concern was that everything had to be done to keep Vito here in Montreal.

So that at least he stays close and that it facilitates communication with him and the others. The candidates for the interim certainly did not have as much knowledge or competence than him.

And no one commanded respect like Vito. Two years later, they were all arrested elsewhere.

But that nervousness, a lot of the guys who were directly below Vito in the hierarchy didn't feel it. Because now they knew it was they who would take control. They were the ones who would take power. They felt more important, more powerful. Even untouchable, with the exception of his brother-in-law Paolo Renda. Guys like Chit [Del Balso], Lorenzo [Giordano], [Tony] Mucci, [Francesco] Arcadi.

That’s disgusting attitude. Especially when you know what Vito has done for them. No one should forget what Vito has done for them. No one.

“If Vito had been tried and incarcerated here instead of the United States, the story would have been quite different. He would have been closer, easier to reach, messages to his faithful would have passed more easily, faster.

It was from the moment he was extradited to the United States that things really started to break down here. There he had no way of intervening. When he was extradited, people believed he would never come back here again. People would say, "It's over for him." And many said: “Fuck him! He is no longer here to tell us what to do. " Yes, it was that quick.

“Guys who had the greatest respect for him have turned the corner. Older ones like Tony Mucci, who thought he was on top of the universe, and Compare Frank [Arcadi].

And young wolves, like Lorenzo [Giordano], who wanted to play a bigger role and have more power. Rocco Sollecito [Stefano's father], who was once Vito's driver, had just been released from prison and had remained loyal to Vito.

Rocco was also in charge of collecting the tax from building contractors for the Rizzuto clan. Renda remained loyal to Vito too, since he was her brother-in-law. But many others didn't give a damn.

The minute Vito left, much of his entourage changed. Those who were directly under his command - the Compare Franks, Lorenzo, Chit, Mucci… - got together, and old Nick was quickly crushed. The only thing that mattered to those who replaced Vito was the money. And it was a real disaster.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

Chapter 8: The Kingdom

• Scoppas son had developed some social/psychological issues, (anxiety and depression) due to the lifestyle of growing up in a mafiosi environment. This was a torturous situation for him.

• Scoppa often played the victim, saying he was a product of his environment.....

From Scoppa on Nick jr's murder......

Nicky Rizzuto died just before noon. He was coming out of a meeting with Tony Magi and he had just left his office. Magi was looking at him through her office window. He has seen it all. Yes, he has seen it all… ”Scoppa repeats, relating the murder of Vito Rizzuto's eldest son, while looking us straight in the eyes with his piercing gaze.

“The murder of Nick Jr. was a shock to everyone,” remembers Andrew Scoppa. The whole town was shaken.

Everyone was shaking in the middle, to the point where you could read the fear in the eyes and feel it in the gestures. Real fear. Why?

Because no one would have imagined that we could have done that to someone like him. So it caused quite a shock wave.

Especially among those of the older generation. Several were as white as sheets. They were like, “If something like this could happen to Nicky, it could happen to anyone and me too!”

Because someone had dared to attack the Kingship. Because you have to understand that the Rizzuto family is a bit like Royalty. And when a member of the Royalty gets shot like that in the middle of the street… "Vito cried on the phone when he heard about it while being held in Florence, Colorado. Leo [Rizzuto] called him, I think. Vito didn't cry when his father was killed, but for his son, yes.

“Nicky's mother was devastated. She fell to her knees upon hearing the news. At home. This is what I have been told. She did not cry for revenge immediately. No, first you have to get over the shock and the sadness. You go through three phases after an ordeal like this.

First the shock. Then the distress, the sadness that accompanies the loss of a loved one. Then comes the anger.

Anger always comes after shock and grief. Nicky's mother wanted this revenge. Magi had taken her baby from her ... Although she had to not worry about all the other babies the Rizzuto clan had taken before his…

"Nick Jr. was the only one who was active in the family then. He was dealing with construction files his father was involved in. He was in legitimate business. Not in the business of the street. Leo wasn't really in the picture at the time.

Vito wanted Nicky to be successful in the construction business. He was in charge of 1000, the Commune, a housing development project at DIX30 and another on Saint-Laurent near René-Lévesque. And the one on Upper Lachine Road near which he was killed.

Vito didn't want him to be in his place. He was proud that Nick was taking this path and not the other ... Because he didn't want his kids to be involved in drugs.

"This is where it all changed. The murder of Nick Jr. is the turning point. It set the table for those who wanted to take advantage of the situation. And they seized the opportunity that presented itself. I'd say it took a week for them to figure out where the blow was coming from.

They weren't afraid of the guy who ordered the murder, Magi. But they feared whoever did it… “Magi is an entrepreneur who has crossed a lot of people. A mard eater's host, a liar, a cheater, a con artist. Piece-of-shit-no-good-for-nothing-motherfucker ...

He had contracts with the Jewish underworld. He had ties with Desjardins. And with Nicky who was in charge of 1000, of the Commune with him.

But at the time, Magi owed restaurateur Freddy Del Pescio $ 1.5 million, whom Vito knew well. Magi asked Ducarme Joseph, a street gang leader who was nicknamed “Kenny”, to kill Del Pescio. Ducarme had offered to kill anyone he wanted.

Del Pescio was the first. Then it was Nicky. So Tony Magi ended up getting shot because he had Nick Jr. killed As Ducarme paid with his life because he killed Nicky for Magi.

“Kenny [Ducarme Joseph] attacked the Royalty. At that time, he was considered a rising star. Not only was he ambitious and self-confident, he was encouraged by some cardboard mobsters who praised him and said to anyone who would listen, "He's the new star."

Kenny didn't get manipulated, he was manipulating the other. He just took his chance. He saw that Magi, a large construction contractor, needed protection after being shot in August 2008.

And he got it into his head to deal with Magi's problems. And show that he wasn't afraid of anyone. Not even royalty. So he took care of eliminating Freddy Del Pescio, who was on Magi's back, to pay him back his $ 1.5 million.

Kenny hit him in August 2009. Then he passed Nicky. He has made quite a reputation for himself. No one saw it coming. Kenny did it for the money. He knew that if he did that, Magi would give him anything he wanted.

“What helped him was that at the time the Hells Angels were all in jail because of Operation SharQc in the spring of 2009.

Kenny felt comfortable taking action. He saw that the bikers weren't there to To interpose or confront him. In addition, there were still several Italians still serving their Operation Colosseum sentence. And outside, very few were able to retaliate.

Nicky, everyone loved him. And he had contact with bikers. So Kenny knew he would have dealt with them had they been on the loose. But there was hardly anyone there to answer him.

“Even the enemies of the Rizzuto were shaken by this murder. The guys who worked for Magi and Kenny weren't too big in their pants. They were paranoid. They were all like, "Who is going to come after us for revenge now?"

Remember where Kenny went to hide right after the shooting in his store on March 18, 2010… at Magi's. “Everyone feared Kenny. Especially Agostino Cuntrera. He was so close to the Rizzuto family. He feared for his life, that of his sons ... Let us not forget that Del Pescio had been killed a few months before and that a climate of insecurity had started to set in after this murder.

But when Nicky got killed, everyone was devastated there. Everyone felt vulnerable. And weak. So, in the weeks and months that followed, there were several who started arming themselves and moving around in armored vehicles. Everyone was on high alert. Agostino was always accompanied by a bodyguard. But that didn't stop them from getting killed, him and his bodyguard. He was nicknamed “the Lord of Saint Leonard”, but in the months before his death, you could see the fear in the eyes of the Lord. He was afraid of Kenny, but in the end, it was someone else who killed him...

Scoppa seems to balk at the idea that Niccolo Rizzutos murder was a highly sophisticated hit. He says a child could have made the shot, that a marksman or trained sniper would hardly be needed.....

Scoppa on Niccolos murder......

"Then it was Vito's father's turn on November 10, 2010. That one too, Kenny wasn't the one who did. The murder of old Nick was also quite a shock.

The blow that killed him, anyone could have pulled it off. Even you would have hit the target. Impossible to miss his shot. The bullet was fired with a rifle equipped with an approach scope and a laser sight. It was a .308 caliber. A rifle like that is precise. It doesn't kick back when you pull the trigger like it does with a handgun.

As long as you aim at the target, the bullet goes in that direction. And if in addition your rifle has a laser sight, the projectile will go directly where your laser points.

I'm telling you, even a blind man would have succeeded! Easy. The gunman was outside in his back yard, about 25 feet from him. At 4:30 in the afternoon. Nicolo couldn't see anything outside his window because of the mirror effect of the lights on inside the house contrasting with the darkness that had just fallen outside.

"Do I know who shot? Yes. Besides, this guy is still alive. Remember what happened before. Watch the sequence that leads to the death of the Patriarch.

On December 28, 2009, Nicky was shot. In March 2010, Ducarme got tested, but he got away with it. In May 2010, Paolo Renda was kidnapped and disappeared forever.

In June 2010, Agostino [Cuntrera] and his bodyguard were killed. In November 2010, old Nick was shot at his home. So what do you think of this streak? It’s brilliant as a course of action.

It might sound like Kenny and the other guy are working together, but not at all. Except for the murder of Nicky, which Kenny killed for Magi, the rest looks like a pattern. It's from the same person, right?

If you had to guess who is behind it all, don't you think it comes from the same place? Appearances are deceptive. I always say, “Don't believe anything you hear and only believe half of what you see.” “Throughout that time, the younger kids saw that fear in the veterans and they felt it too. They were all scared. And they all called a certain person… a certain body… to come to their rescue.

They saw this certain person as a potential Savior. This was a person Kenny wanted to kill too. But at the time, that person couldn't get involved because he was on parole and had conditions to meet if he didn't want to be brought back to the penitentiary.

Much to his disappointment, by the way ... "And while saying this, Scoppa points his index finger to his chest so that we understand that this" certain person "was him, even if he does not want to identify himself clearly. on our recording.

How can Andrea Scoppa know so many details surrounding the murder of Vito Rizzuto's father? How can he have such precise information, which the police have never revealed so as not to compromise his chances of apprehending the shooter?

What she still hasn't managed to do? When we ask him the question, Scoppa perhaps realizes that he has had enough - or too much - said and only answers us with a look ... A "death look", which he could throw at you like Robert De Niro in The Godfather 2 or Goodfellas (Goodfellas). Except that Scoppa wasn't playing in a movie. It was better to change the subject and not insist

• At this point, the authors notice that Scoppa often talks around murders hes most likely involved in, often blaming his brother. As I'm typing this, it didnt occur to me on the first read that he has a little TOO MUCH info on Niccolos death, to be unaware or uninvolved. Maybe he was told after the fact?
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

Great couple of chapters. I'm only really starting to read about Montreal so this is a great thread to follow
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

chin_gigante wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:38 am Great couple of chapters. I'm only really starting to read about Montreal so this is a great thread to follow
I plan on doing em all.... I've just been giving thr Chapters a chance to breathe, in case anyone has comments or thoughts.....

There are still a couple big revelations coming.....
SantoClaus
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by SantoClaus »

So interesting, thanks again.

The term, there is no honour amongst thieves really seems to really display itself after the departure of Rizzuto from Montreal to the United States. With all that money 💵 available, how could that of been stopped, unlikely if at all.
“To know and not to do, is not to know”
don-shunter
Straightened out

Post by don-shunter »

So are we any wiser if it was just one core group led by Desjardins/Di maulo or if it was many enemies that sprang up against the Rizzutos? Scoppa seems to suggest it was many enemies that came out the woodwork, but the way the conflict panned out, it looked like Desjardins and his group were the leading and only group seriously challenging the Rizzutos. Great work CabriniGreen.
scagghiuni
Full Patched

Post by scagghiuni »

so scoppa just confirmed what everybody knew
Etna
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Etna »

This is excellent stuff, CabriniGreen. Thank you!

Interesting, I notice Tony Mucci was one of the guys he mentioned as walking around feeling more powerful. I have to wonder if he could possibly be a target in the future, or unless he has made ammends?
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

scoppa sounds like hardo
Pmac2
Full Patched

Post by Pmac2 »

sounds like he was just passing on what the board told him. was he a member on a fake name
stubbs
Straightened out

Post by stubbs »

I’ve been reading up on all this Montreal shit for a decade now (I can’t believe it’s been that long). And this has to be the most important thread yet on this topic, at least in several years.

Cabrini, thanks so much for doing this bro!
stubbs
Straightened out

Post by stubbs »

The way chapter 8 was written, I took it as Scoppa being involved with Nick Sr’s killing, but maybe I read that excerpt wrong. Maybe he was referring to Reynald.