Modern Bonanno + Sicilian Mafia ties

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Re: Modern Bonanno + Sicilian Mafia ties

Post by CabriniGreen »

B. wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:06 pm Some things that came from the Castellammare case:

- Bonanno member Nino Mistretta wanted Francesco Domingo's help getting municipal approval for Bonanno figure Giovanni Carollo to build a swimming pool at his home in Castellammare. Mistretta also had questions about a man named Gaetano Camarda who had been shelved in Sicily.

- When Mistretta wanted to ask for assistance in Sicily, his boss in the US "Joe" told him to contact the Domingos and only the Domingos. Domingo's brother Michele travels between the US and Sicily and serves as a point of contact for the Castellammare mafia in NYC.

You think this has to do with the rivalry with Mariano Asaro? Not wanting him to establish contact with NY?
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

And Don Ciccio Tempesta resolved the dispute
From Rino Giacalone -1 July 20207452
Operation Cutrara: The mafia boss intervened to solve a labor dispute where Gaspare Mulè wanted to earn 3 thousand euros

There is another interesting passage enclosed in the pages of the “Cutrara” anti-mafia operation. And it is the one in which the Carabinieri of the Operational Department of the Provincial Investigative Unit of Trapani intercepted the steps of a labor dispute that had to be faced and resolved with the mafia method.

The protagonist is Vito Sorrentino, who in the pages of the ordinance is indicated as the "godson" of Don Ciccio Domingo , known as Tempesta, the mafia leader of Castellammare del Golfo. Sorrentino worked for the Sottile brothers, Domenico and Vito Sottile.

He was fired and at that point it seems he did not agree with the employers on a liquidation, the so-called severance pay, for 900 euros.

Sorrentino found support in Maurizio Gaspare Mulè, a character known for belonging to Cosa Nostra Castellammarese, arrested and convicted, believed to be close to Mariano Asaro, another mammasantissima of the Trapani mafia, if not Sicilian, because of his vast network of secret relationships that still today as a free man he keeps, after having served all the sentences for mafia association, also for his link with Freemasonry: the name by Mariano Asaro, known as the dental technician, is one of the mafia members who were enrolled in the secret lodge Iside 2, discovered in Trapani in the mid-1980s. Asaro after a certain inaction was arrested together with another important boss of the Castellammarese mafia, Michele Mercadante, and in the days of their capture it was said that one of the mobile phones in their possession was even contacted the switchboard of the then Sismi, the one who at the era was the Italian military secret service.

Mulè is someone who has always spent himself for Asaro (for example, going to threaten and ask the entrepreneur Gregory Bongiorno for protection money) and in his name he made a career so much as to annoy Don Ciccio Tempesta himself that the carabinieri hear calling Mulè in a particular way , fuck who duci, but this seems to be Mulè's nickname in the castellammarese mafia coven.

In short, the interference of Mulè in the affair of the Sottile brothers, by Don Ciccio Domingo is seen not only as a sgarro, not having asked for his authorization, but an interference in his power that would not completely coincide with that of the other godfather, Mariano Asaro.

Serious question.... Who is the actual boss? Domingo or Asaro? Also, a side note.... these types of hierarchical challenges seem to happen often amongst Sicilian mafiosi....

The investigation tells of how Mulè approached the Sottile brothers "backed up" by a certain Sebastiano Cusenza, at least so revealed Domingo as he was intercepted talking to his brother Michele, to whom he told in the meantime about what he had learned from Camillo Domingo "because there with the severance pay there they wanted to give him ... he had 900 euros of severance pay ... instead he didn't want to then Maurizio went there and told him "you have to give him 3000 euros in severance pay" and then Don Ciccio adds on his own "I go to hear them threaten strongly ... talk to Vito (Sottile ed) and threaten him strongly ... you owed him give him 900 euros now you give him 3 thousand ”.

Don Ciccio Tempesta, continuing to talk, admitted to his interlocutor that he was hurt by the ugly part suffered by the Sottile because of Mulè, and therefore he could hardly see him with the Sottile brothers: “true evil I'm staying there! I went there and they were available!

In the wiretapping brogliaccio, the Carabinieri will note a further conversation in the following days, during which Don Ciccio Tempesta still told of having spoken with the Sottile: “I told his brother Domenico ... and send me to your brother! He told me ... "he has to come Bro I can tell you something above but it is useless to tell you" I said "ok send it to me" I told him "between tomorrow evening and the day after tomorrow evening send it to me" and I want ... I want explained from A to tip! But the fact is ... he showed up with that and he wants 3,000 euros! ... in fact I told him ... I told him ... see who's coming I told him put him at the door I told him don't let you give frog to nobody! I told him ... to the picciotti he says but you have to talk to my brother! and I told him and now I'm talking to your brother! ”.

The ordinance reads that Don Ciccio Tempesta's concern was also different, namely that Mulè could get to ask the Sottile brothers for the classic tidying up, lace, involving his godson Vito Sorrentino: "this capable cuckold who to ask for money ... because I am afraid of this, because he first enters with the minutedda and then sends us to himself capable of asking him ... because he then tells him ... I made it happen to you ... now this every month he has to give us the money ... Maurizio took the ball to get money ”. Meanwhile, the Sottile family apparently had written two letters, one addressed to a trade union, and another to that Cusenza who would have approached them with Mulè, effectively externalizing the attempted extortion. This thing that when he was learned from Don Ciccio Domingo made him worry a lot, "if the cops go back to Mulè here they arrest us all". Don Ciccio's peremptory order was to tear up and make those letters disappear.

Meanwhile, tonight at 7 pm the Municipal Council of Castellammare del Golfo returns to meet. On the agenda is the approval of a document, proposed by Forza Italia and the "Oltre" group on the "Cutrara" anti-mafia operation, which you remember sees the mayor Nicola Rizzo being investigated for external competition in the mafia associationprecisely for a meeting, revealed only by investigations, with the Mafia boss Don Ciccio Domingo.

The meeting took place at the home of Francesco Ancona, the parent of the mayor's partner, who was also under investigation for external competition in the mafia association. The previous council meeting was held on the same day as the execution of the arrests and the notification of the guarantee notice to the mayor Rizzo, and was characterized by the silence held on the matter.

Now it seems that the Council has decided to break that silence, we will see how, especially after in the city there have been those who have indicated the journalists, and this newspaper, as the real enemy to be killed and not so much the mafia and the mafia.

A little while ago we met the content of the Agenda proposed by the council groups of Forza Italia and Oltre and which led to today's convocation of the Municipal Council of Castellammare del Golfo.

If on the one hand the council body is invited to a serene political debate on the Cutrara anti-mafia blitz, on the other hand it is already emerging what its conclusion should be, namely support and solidarity with the investigated mayor Nicola Rizzo.

In the document, while nothing is mentioned about the contents of the precautionary custody order in prison for members of the local mafia clan, the positions expressed by the defense of the mayor under investigation are leaked and, as usual, the press organs are wrong in telling this story. . We will see if the debate in the classroom will have the same turn.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

Diminio may have had a standing beef with the Ribera clan/ family...

https://www.grandangoloagrigento.it/maf ... ina-denaro
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Nice find, Cabrini.

Ribera's role in Agrigento has always been interesting. They were originally aligned with the Corleonesi while some of the villages like Alessandria and Siculiana were aligned with the Palermitani. I'd be curious where Sciacca lined up.

I was told by someone from Agrigento with mafia relatives how Corleone and Ribera have a lot of common bonds not just because of their proximity but also their culture. Their regional dialect is very similar.
jimmyb
Straightened out

Post by jimmyb »

Sorry guys again, for being late to the party. I also apologize if this information is redundant. But anyhow, people have mentioned the names Calabro and Domingo.

Gioacchino Calabro was capomafia in CDG, starting around the early 90s. With Toto Riina's blessing, Calabro orchestrated the murders of the Evola brothers (Natale and Giuseppe). I believe Calabro took over the top spot. For some time the Italian press reported Calabro was running the cosca from prison. Francesco Domingo was his main dude on the streets. But I haven't read about Calabro in some time. He was a lifer, in terms of his prison sentence.

In terms of other Domingo Mafiosi in CDG, there was a Diego Domingo (killed in 83) and Vito Domingo b. 1927. I'm guessing that person is no longer living. And I thought I read there was an Antonio or Antonino Domingo back in the day too. If i recall, there was some confusion because there was a Bonanno member with same name active around same time.

Going back further, Michaelangelo Vitale (born in CDG, son of Vito Vitale) was married to Angelica Domingo. *On a related note, Vito Vitale's daughters all married prominent Mafiosi---one married Jimmy Q in Detroit, one married Gaetano Badalamenti, and one married Filippo Rimi.

I don't know if these Domingos are related to Buster Domingo, but I suspect the probability is high. Even if it's distant cousin thing.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Keep it coming. Your absence in these threads has been measurable.

Kid and I were talking not long ago about Michelangelo Vitale and his misidentification as a Colombo member on the 1960s FBI charts. He was also a marital nephew of John Bonventre. I'd bet he was a Bonanno member or possibly a CDG member living in the US.

Still curious if the Calabro and his cousins the Saracinos in the Colombo Family were related to any mafia figures as they were from CDG. Those are common enough names but also names heavily linked to the mafia. JD shared info with me years ago where a source told the FBI that Sal Montagna and Dino Calabro were cousins. It was later clarified that they weren't related but both of their fathers were close. As we now know, Antonino Montagna was involved with the CDG mafia and allegedly sponsored Francesco Domingo -- I didn't know Gioacchino Calabro was so close to Domingo so the Montagna ties to both Domingo and the NYC Calabros is interesting. Could suggest there is a tie between Dino Calabro and Gioacchino even though Dino didn't end up with the Bonannos.

If I remember right, Sal Vitale told the FBI about Sal Montagna and Dino Calabro being close.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

B. wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:33 pm Keep it coming. Your absence in these threads has been measurable.

Kid and I were talking not long ago about Michelangelo Vitale and his misidentification as a Colombo member on the 1960s FBI charts. He was also a marital nephew of John Bonventre. I'd bet he was a Bonanno member or possibly a CDG member living in the US.

Still curious if the Calabro and his cousins the Saracinos in the Colombo Family were related to any mafia figures as they were from CDG. Those are common enough names but also names heavily linked to the mafia. JD shared info with me years ago where a source told the FBI that Sal Montagna and Dino Calabro were cousins. It was later clarified that they weren't related but both of their fathers were close. As we now know, Antonino Montagna was involved with the CDG mafia and allegedly sponsored Francesco Domingo -- I didn't know Gioacchino Calabro was so close to Domingo so the Montagna ties to both Domingo and the NYC Calabros is interesting. Could suggest there is a tie between Dino Calabro and Gioacchino even though Dino didn't end up with the Bonannos.

If I remember right, Sal Vitale told the FBI about Sal Montagna and Dino Calabro being close.

I didnt want to make a new thread that went nowhere, plus I wanted to ask while I have you guys attention and the family is being discussed....

What is you guy's take on Guisey Vitale? The whole thing, a woman boss in Sicily, the trafficking, the fact she was a collaborator and went back to being the boss? All this from a venerated, bonafide mafia clan......
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

CabriniGreen wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:53 am
B. wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:33 pm Keep it coming. Your absence in these threads has been measurable.

I didnt want to make a new thread that went nowhere, plus I wanted to ask while I have you guys attention and the family is being discussed....

What is you guy's take on Guisey Vitale? The whole thing, a woman boss in Sicily, the trafficking, the fact she was a collaborator and went back to being the boss? All this from a venerated, bonafide mafia clan......
I think what’s really interesting about Giusy Vitale is not just that her brothers nominated her to act as if she were a member, but that other bosses seem to have accepted her acting as capo mandamento. Is there any evidence that anyone was scandalized or outraged by this? We know that this sort of thing has been done by the Calabresi and Napolitani for some time. Apart from Giusy it doesn’t seem to have been something that has become a thing in CN, perhaps speaking to her being seen as a somewhat exceptional individual.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Would have to know exactly what was discussed with her and get the perspective of the men she interacted with. Messengers can be given a lot of sway and she was in a unique position based on who she was but a story like that is extremely susceptible to sensationalism for obvious reasons. The Sopranos having a similar storyline only adds to the issue. I wouldn't call her a "woman of honor" or "capo mandamento" because she simply wasn't that, but she apparently played an important role based on the situation.

Partinico has had weird things go on in general. You had Francesco Coppola's nephew the priest Father Agostino Coppola from Partinico but he was living in Carini and got made into the Corleone Family in a ceremony presided over by Gaetano Badalamenti of Cinisi. Father Coppola went on later in life to marry a gynecologist who was a female relative of the Caruanas from Siculiana. Not exactly typical.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

PolackTony wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:25 am

I think what’s really interesting about Giusy Vitale is not just that her brothers nominated her to act as if she were a member, but that other bosses seem to have accepted her acting as capo mandamento. Is there any evidence that anyone was scandalized or outraged by this? We know that this sort of thing has been done by the Calabresi and Napolitani for some time. Apart from Giusy it doesn’t seem to have been something that has become a thing in CN, perhaps speaking to her being seen as a somewhat exceptional individual.
https://www.ansa.it/english/news/genera ... d1b6d.html

English
Messina Denaro sister's jail term upped
Found guilty of being Mafia member
(foto: ANSA)
Redazione ANSA
PALERMO
10 October 201616:48NEWS

Its possible Denaro kinda help set the precedent, hes at the top of the Dome.......

(ANSA) - Palermo, October 10 - A Palermo appeals court on Monday raised from 13 years to fourteen and a half years the jail term for the jailed sister of Cosa Nostra's fugitive No.1 Matteo Messina Denaro.
Anna Patrizia Messina Denaro, 46, was found guilty of being a full member of the Mafia and not an outside affilate as in her first-instance trial two years ago. The woman has seen assets worth several thousands of euros belonging to her seized by police. Several firms including an olive-oil company belonging to her and her husband were impounded and a number of bank accounts frozen.
The boss's sister was among 30 people arrested in December 2013 but police think she still has contact with her brother although in jail and relays his orders.
After the December sweep police said they have "never been so close" to capturing the elusive boss.
Italy's anti-mafia
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

Good breakdown here....

https://www.occrp.org/en/blog/9642-the- ... afia-women

I'll try not to add too much more...... not trying to derail this thing..... I just had to get your opinions while the Vitale discussion was still current and all the knowledgeable posters are here...
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

CabriniGreen wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:01 pm
PolackTony wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:25 am

https://www.ansa.it/english/news/genera ... d1b6d.html

English
Messina Denaro sister's jail term upped
Found guilty of being Mafia member
(foto: ANSA)
Redazione ANSA
PALERMO
10 October 201616:48NEWS

Its possible Denaro kinda help set the precedent, hes at the top of the Dome.......

(ANSA) - Palermo, October 10 - A Palermo appeals court on Monday raised from 13 years to fourteen and a half years the jail term for the jailed sister of Cosa Nostra's fugitive No.1 Matteo Messina Denaro.
Anna Patrizia Messina Denaro, 46, was found guilty of being a full member of the Mafia and not an outside affilate as in her first-instance trial two years ago. The woman has seen assets worth several thousands of euros belonging to her seized by police. Several firms including an olive-oil company belonging to her and her husband were impounded and a number of bank accounts frozen.
The boss's sister was among 30 people arrested in December 2013 but police think she still has contact with her brother although in jail and relays his orders.
After the December sweep police said they have "never been so close" to capturing the elusive boss.
Italy's anti-mafia
Thanks, interesting. I think B.’s cautionary take is warranted given that this sort of thing could easily be sensationalized and overinterpreted. My understanding of Giusy Vitale is completely based on how she was covered in the Italian press, for example, I have no idea how actual mafiosi that she interacted with understood her role. Having said that, I think that it’s possible that with increasing LE pressure Cosa Nostra may have turned more towards relying on blood family connections to maintain trust, and for this reason it may not be surprising if female relatives are accorded important roles in some cases, as we’ve seen this happen with the heavily familial-centered ‘Ndrangheta and Camorra clans.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

I'd have to see a fully-initiated pentito say explicitly that one of these women was made in order to believe it. Women achieving suffrage in Sicilian Cosa Nostra would be revolutionary and as big as finding out they inducted someone with full African blood.

The press calls people a "boss" or "member" when they aren't, so I can't trust the press alone. There is huge incentive to publish a story about a "female mafia member". Doesn't mean the women weren't used as trusted messengers and maybe even weighed in on decisions but I have to take anything else with a grain of salt.

--

Side note but funny I just mentioned Dino Calabro's ties to Sal Montagna, as tonight Frank Fiordilino was on MBA and said Dino is his cousin. So Calabro definitely had ties to the Sicilian mafia and Bonanno Family based on that alone given who the Fiordilinos are.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

B. wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:28 am I'd have to see a fully-initiated pentito say explicitly that one of these women was made in order to believe it. Women achieving suffrage in Sicilian Cosa Nostra would be revolutionary and as big as finding out they inducted someone with full African blood.

The press calls people a "boss" or "member" when they aren't, so I can't trust the press alone. There is huge incentive to publish a story about a "female mafia member". Doesn't mean the women weren't used as trusted messengers and maybe even weighed in on decisions but I have to take anything else with a grain of salt.

--

Side note but funny I just mentioned Dino Calabro's ties to Sal Montagna, as tonight Frank Fiordilino was on MBA and said Dino is his cousin. So Calabro definitely had ties to the Sicilian mafia and Bonanno Family based on that alone given who the Fiordilinos are.
Vitale... I think no. They said other bosses wouldnt meet her. Denaro sister, I think is a different story...