Newark Dominance

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Grouchy Sinatra
Full Patched

Newark Dominance

Post by Grouchy Sinatra »

Which family has been the presiding family here? The reason I ask is because I'll read articles claiming various families being the dominant presence here. Most say that the Genovese Jersey faction is the most powerful, however I've read some that say the Lucchese Jersey Crew is. Some say Philadelphia is the strongest in Newark. I've even seen some people say the DeCavs ran Newark although I'm sure they were falsely comparing them to the fictional Sopranos.

Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone had a breakdown or timeline of who was the most powerful in Newark. Or was it traditionally shared with each family dominating different rackets?
Glick told author Nicholas Pileggi that he expected to meet a banker-type individual, but instead, he found Alvin Baron to be a gruff, tough-talking cigar-chomping Teamster who greeted him with, “What the fuck do you want?”
BobbyPazzo
Straightened out

Re: Newark Dominance

Post by BobbyPazzo »

Luke or West Side
Most of you wouldn't be comfortable in my playground.
Grouchy Sinatra
Full Patched

BobbyPazzo wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:04 pm Luke or West Side
Were each of these more powerful at any given time? Some people seem to believe Genovese-Jersey were always the dominant family there, some believe Luccheses always were. Some think Phily always was. I don't know if it's that certain writers just only study certain families and a natural bias is formed or what. Newark has an interesting history, that's for sure. I've always leaned toward Genovese being the most powerful there, maybe with the Lucchese's taking over in the 80s? Anyhow just a guess of mine.
Glick told author Nicholas Pileggi that he expected to meet a banker-type individual, but instead, he found Alvin Baron to be a gruff, tough-talking cigar-chomping Teamster who greeted him with, “What the fuck do you want?”
SB1825
Straightened out

Post by SB1825 »

I don’t know about Newark specifically but the Genovese family has historically been strongest in NJ
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

There isn't even an argument that's open to opinion. It's been the Genovese since the early years. That's simply a fact. Who is even saying it could be the Luccheses, DeCavalcantes, or Philly?

The Genovese family has traditionally had at least a few crews based in the state. In the past, the other NY families only had one crew each based there. Today, I think there's evidence that the only other NY family crew based in Jersey is the Lucchese crew.
All roads lead to New York.
Grouchy Sinatra
Full Patched

I'm talking about Newark in particular. I lean toward the Genovese Jersey faction running Newark throughout most of history but to me it seems plausible the Lucchese's might have had the upper hand in at least Newark alone at one time or another. Don't buy for a second that Phily ever ran Newark. A lot of people think the DeCavs do because of The Sopranos but as I understand it they're mostly active in Elizabeth.
Manf
Straightened out

Post by Manf »

Genovese family ruled the ports and still have their hooks in Port Newark. That's the power.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Grouchy Sinatra wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:21 pm I'm talking about Newark in particular. I lean toward the Genovese Jersey faction running Newark throughout most of history but to me it seems plausible the Lucchese's might have had the upper hand in at least Newark alone at one time or another. Don't buy for a second that Phily ever ran Newark. A lot of people think the DeCavs do because of The Sopranos but as I understand it they're mostly active in Elizabeth.
I'm not sure what would have given the Luccheses the upper hand in Newark, especially when the Genovese had more than one crew active in Newark and control of the waterfront.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Manf wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:43 pm Genovese family ruled the ports and still have their hooks in Port Newark. That's the power.
Out of curiosity, what about the Elizabeth and Bayonne/JC terminals past and/or current? My understanding is that the Genovese used to hold it down in Bayonne/JC, under DiGilio and then Prisco/LaScala, but it's unclear to me if this crew is still operating there. And I'd imagine the DeCavs in Elizabeth?
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Manf
Straightened out

Post by Manf »

PolackTony wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:10 pm
Manf wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:43 pm Genovese family ruled the ports and still have their hooks in Port Newark. That's the power.
Out of curiosity, what about the Elizabeth and Bayonne/JC terminals past and/or current? My understanding is that the Genovese used to hold it down in Bayonne/JC, under DiGilio and then Prisco/LaScala, but it's unclear to me if this crew is still operating there. And I'd imagine the DeCavs in Elizabeth?
Genovese have always had the Ports in NJ and Manhattan. Gambino has Brooklyn and Staten Island ports. The DeCavalatcante family main power over the years was the construction union they dominated.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

The DeCavalcantes only involvement in the waterfront is family and friends having jobs (like 4 of the NY families and Philly). If I'm not mistaken, you have the Port Newark, Maher and APM container terminals at Port Newark-Elizabeth, which has been Genovese controlled. And the GCT Bayonne Container Terminal in Jersey City, which was also Genovese controlled. But you have to go back 15-20 years for the last cases in Bayonne/Jersey City (Local 1588). The more recent ones have been from Newark-Elizabeth (Locals 1, 1235, 1478, 1804-1).

I read that 95%+ of the container ships are unloaded on the New Jersey waterfront now. About 6 million containers a year. The Manhattan piers are long gone except for a few small locals that service cruise terminals and the USS Intrepid. The Red Hook Container Terminal in Brooklyn only does about 100,000 containers a year. The GCT New York Terminal on State Island does 150,000. The New York side has mostly given way to real estate development.
TommyGambino
Full Patched

Post by TommyGambino »

Wiseguy wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:55 pm There isn't even an argument that's open to opinion. It's been the Genovese since the early years. That's simply a fact. Who is even saying it could be the Luccheses, DeCavalcantes, or Philly?

The Genovese family has traditionally had at least a few crews based in the state. In the past, the other NY families only had one crew each based there. Today, I think there's evidence that the only other NY family crew based in Jersey is the Lucchese crew.
No Gambino crew anymore?
Shellackhead
Full Patched

Post by Shellackhead »

I think Genovese had 3-4 crews spread out on the North Jersey area so that should give you a hint over who’s dominating that area
TommyNoto
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by TommyNoto »

Wiseguy wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:04 pm

The DeCavalcantes only involvement in the waterfront is family and friends having jobs (like 4 of the NY families and Philly). If I'm not mistaken, you have the Port Newark, Maher and APM container terminals at Port Newark-Elizabeth, which has been Genovese controlled. And the GCT Bayonne Container Terminal in Jersey City, which was also Genovese controlled. But you have to go back 15-20 years for the last cases in Bayonne/Jersey City (Local 1588). The more recent ones have been from Newark-Elizabeth (Locals 1, 1235, 1478, 1804-1).

I read that 95%+ of the container ships are unloaded on the New Jersey waterfront now. About 6 million containers a year. The Manhattan piers are long gone except for a few small locals that service cruise terminals and the USS Intrepid. The Red Hook Container Terminal in Brooklyn only does about 100,000 containers a year. The GCT New York Terminal on State Island does 150,000. The New York side has mostly given way to real estate development.
Port Newark now handles mega ships. It’s going to grow in strength. Amazon has been buying as many warehouses in the towns surrounding port / airport as possible recently so it’s probably going to be a serious port for a long time. With all the Int’l activity that place is it’s own little world.
Grouchy Sinatra
Full Patched

Shellackhead wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:31 am I think Genovese had 3-4 crews spread out on the North Jersey area so that should give you a hint over who’s dominating that area
I was wondering about Newark in particular, and historically. No doubt it's Genovese today but I'm interested in what kind of historical presence that the Luccheses and Philadelphia have had in the region and how their rackets matched up with what the Genovese had.