Montreal war biggest example of how the lcn has fallen?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Pete
Full Patched

Montreal war biggest example of how the lcn has fallen?

Post by Pete »

I find it unreal that a non lcn member desjardins waged this war and organized the killings of numerous made guys including the former acting boss of the bonannos and there was really not much backlash. If this happened years ago is there any doubt the bonannos would have sent a huge force to settle this? Can't think of another time someone has so brazenly killed made guys without any real heat coming their way
I agree with phat,I love those old fucks and he's right.we all got some cosa nostra in us.I personnely love the life.I think we on the forum would be the ultimate crew! - camerono
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Re: Montreal war biggest example of how the lcn has fallen?

Post by Angelo Santino »

Pete wrote:I find it unreal that a non lcn member desjardins waged this war and organized the killings of numerous made guys including the former acting boss of the bonannos and there was really not much backlash. If this happened years ago is there any doubt the bonannos would have sent a huge force to settle this? Can't think of another time someone has so brazenly killed made guys without any real heat coming their way
I don't think we know all the details- if anyone disagrees I'm open. Partially because their informants intel has not become available to the public. There's been articles I've read about "arrested mafia members" and "alleged new acting boss" and they don't provide a name. Maybe Canada has a stronger privacy before conviction policy.

Another thing, my own opinion, is that Canada's open border policy has given way to some abuses. They accept anyone for almost anything. (Poster Caso got into Canada by claiming she was being harassed by her "mafia boyfriend" which checked out because he was Fat Tony's second nephew but had no OC connections and is a fitness instructor.) This free system has allowed for a more entrenched and tightened 'ndrangheta connected to Reggio. Canada is facing what the USA faced in the 1920's and they are now slowly starting to clamp down from a legal perspective. The 'ndrangheta has some activity in the USA but not a new functioning 'ndrina anyway, reason is because of USA laws. Which if you compare them to Canada that country is a cakewalk. At least until recently.

As far as how the LCN has fallen, I'm surprised that Salvatore Montagna was as important as he was. I thought it was a media hype, but I admit I was completely wrong in my "man without a Family" opinion. From all accounts, the Bonannos still have some sway in Montreal. This Desjardin character is an oddity, I don't know what to make of him. Such a thing would never happen in the USA, which makes me conclude that we're looking at something through the lens of an American perspective which may not apply. Fernandez claims he was made, stated such in Sicily. It could be bullshit or it could not be.
phatmatress
Straightened out

Post by phatmatress »

Caso was really in Canada for that reason?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dixiemafia
Full Patched

Post by dixiemafia »

The Bonanno's didn't care to go to war with Canada I think. It seems they could have cared less that Sal was deported and it seems he either lost power or stepped down when he crossed the border because he couldn't come back. I honestly think they considered it a "Montreal problem" instead of their problem so why would they go up to the GTA and risk their freedom by slinging bullets?

And I'm pretty sure once Sal was clipped they knew if Vito got out chances were he would go after Desjardins and that was probably good enough for them "IF" they even cared. That's the main reason I think Desjardins pleaded guilty was to stay alive.
If I didn't have my case coming up, I would like to come back with you gentlemen when this is over with and really lay the law down what is going on in this country.....
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

dixiemafia wrote:The Bonanno's didn't care to go to war with Canada I think. It seems they could have cared less that Sal was deported and it seems he either lost power or stepped down when he crossed the border because he couldn't come back. I honestly think they considered it a "Montreal problem" instead of their problem so why would they go up to the GTA and risk their freedom by slinging bullets?

And I'm pretty sure once Sal was clipped they knew if Vito got out chances were he would go after Desjardins and that was probably good enough for them "IF" they even cared. That's the main reason I think Desjardins pleaded guilty was to stay alive.
Right but wasn't he also responsible for having rizzuto sr whacked who was made ages ago? I thought I read desjardins is not even Italian?
I agree with phat,I love those old fucks and he's right.we all got some cosa nostra in us.I personnely love the life.I think we on the forum would be the ultimate crew! - camerono
Chucky
Full Patched

Post by Chucky »

Desjardins is French-Canadian and a very serious guy in his own right based on following this shit show since Rizzuto's kid was popped.

Why would the Bonannos risk all the LE heat, they have enough as it is, to send some hit squad up to Montreal? Montagna dug his own grave up there, and I doubt the Bonannos had any interest in helping him one way or the other. It's also not the 60s or 70s anymore, the feds or Canadian LE aren't gonna tolerate the Bonannos adding to what was already a gong show up there and I doubt the guys in the Bonannos had any interest in adding more murder indictments down the line due to bullshit in another country that doesn't effect them.
Just smile and blow me - Mel Gibson
scagghiuni
Full Patched

Post by scagghiuni »

i think it's an example how lcn in canada is strong and it doesn't fear the law; anyway probably desjardins is a made member
dixiemafia
Full Patched

Post by dixiemafia »

Chucky is right, Desjardins was French-Canadian but very powerful since he was Joe Di Maulo's brother in law and at one time was very close to Vito Rizzuto. Like many here has said before, Desjardins spent a long time in prison on drug charges and when he came out everything that was his was given away by Rizzuto. I imagine that was the catalyst with him plotting against the Rizzuto's once Montagna stepped foot on Canadian soil and wanted to overthrow them as well.

Joe Bravo claimed in Sicily him and Desjardins was made. I think it was simply a case of Rizzuto treating them like they were made by showing them power and respect. Desjardins also seemed to have run his own family for years.

Scagghiuni, it's more of the fact Canadian laws are very weak. When compared to our laws against gangsters the Canucks are still stuck in the 60's :lol:
If I didn't have my case coming up, I would like to come back with you gentlemen when this is over with and really lay the law down what is going on in this country.....
Dwalin2014
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Dwalin2014 »

But wasn't Di Maulo the mastermind behind the anti-Rizzuto attack? I thought Desjardins was just a second player, I am not even sure he ordered Montagna's murder on his own, maybe he asked authorization from Di Maulo or the Bonannos, or both.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Didn't Fernandez state that he was formally made?
Rocco
Full Patched

Post by Rocco »

One would think that if Desjardins was the anti-rizzuto conspiracy he would have to have the backing of a made guy like DiMaulo then go at it alone. Because in theory if Desjardins did indeed go at it alone he would be disrespecting lcn as a whole and every made guy in it leaving him a target by all.
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

Chris Christie wrote:Didn't Fernandez state that he was formally made?
He did. Then he was killed.
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

Rocco wrote:One would think that if Desjardins was the anti-rizzuto conspiracy he would have to have the backing of a made guy like DiMaulo then go at it alone. Because in theory if Desjardins did indeed go at it alone he would be disrespecting lcn as a whole and every made guy in it leaving him a target by all.
My point exactly
mike68
Straightened out

Post by mike68 »

Desjardins life was saved when he was arrested. I think he would have ended up with the rest of them if not for that. And he was always a big player up there regardless of his French Canadian ancestry.
Dwalin2014
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Dwalin2014 »

What I don't understand is why did the tables turn upside down so quickly once Vito came back. Couldn't Di Maulo and Desjardins just bury him like they did the rest of his family and associates while he was in prison in the USA? Was he some invulnerable superman? :?