General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Antiliar
Full Patched

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by Antiliar »

PolackTony wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:15 pm Any info on Phil Amato, from Grand Ave? He was Jimmy Cozzo's wife Tonina's father and lived on Ogden right by the Cozzo compound. Red Wemette has a number of stories about him, including that he was Red's collector before Schweihs replaced him with Tony Jeeps Daddino. Phil's son Frank Amato was also active, apparently he was involved in running a big bookmaking operation out of the Bingo hall there with Philly Cozzo.
Have you looked to see if Vito Spillone was related to Anthony Spillone?
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Another entry in Phil Amato.

Reports from 1976 document that Marshall Caifano lackey Johnny Rodgers was residing at Amato's Ogden Ave property. This has also been confirmed by Wemette, who has stated that Rodgers lived a flat in the coach house behind Amato's buikding. Reports linked Rodgers at the time to Lucchese NJ capodecina Tumac Accetturo in Miami. Seems very likely that Rodgers was operating as a narcotics courier between Colombia, Miami, and Chicago:

"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Antiliar wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:46 am
PolackTony wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:15 pm Any info on Phil Amato, from Grand Ave? He was Jimmy Cozzo's wife Tonina's father and lived on Ogden right by the Cozzo compound. Red Wemette has a number of stories about him, including that he was Red's collector before Schweihs replaced him with Tony Jeeps Daddino. Phil's son Frank Amato was also active, apparently he was involved in running a big bookmaking operation out of the Bingo hall there with Philly Cozzo.
Brother
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Snakes wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:08 pm
Brother
I thought we already knew that...btw the photos i posted comes from a file which i think you posted years ago
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Villain wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:13 pm
Brother
I thought we already knew that...btw the photos i posted comes from a file which i think you posted years ago
Although I post a lot on Chicago here, outside of this forum I've been focusing on Southern California, so sometimes I forget. But thanks to you guys for the reminders!
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Antiliar wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:39 pm
Brother
Although I post a lot on Chicago here, outside of this forum I've been focusing on Southern California, so sometimes I forget. But thanks to you guys for the reminders!
Lol yea. Shit gets lost among the thousands of posts here over the years so it's hard to keep track of at times
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Snakes wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:44 pm
Antiliar wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:39 pm
Brother
Lol yea. Shit gets lost among the thousands of posts here over the years so it's hard to keep track of at times
I give my best to keep some your old posts guys but i obviously cannot keep track of everything you posted in the past lol
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Just to provide more detail, Vito Dominic Spillone was born 1936 in Chicago, dead 2015 in LA. His older brother Anthony J Spillone was born 1939 in Chicago, dead 2017 in Elmhurst. Their parents were Francesco Spillone of Carbonara di Bari and Angelica Bel Fiore of Ceglie del Campo, Bari. The Spillones grew up west of the Taylor St Patch by Polk and Kedzie.

Any info indicating that Tony was ever made? Since the Spillone brothers stated with the Buccieri crew, I also wonder if when Vito was sent to LA he was then answering to Torrello, to Grand Ave, or was direct with Aiuppa?
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

The subject of Vito Nitti has come up before. Just to revisit him, he was not related to Frank Nitto. Vito James Nitti was most likely born around 1915-1917 in Chicago to Giuseppe Nitti of Triggiano, Bari and Teresa Victoria Ricci of Campomaggiore, Potenza. Vito James was clearly named after Giuseppe's grandfather Vito Vincenzo Nitti of Triggiano. The family lived on the Westside by Fulton and Rockwell. In 1934, young Vito was sentenced to life in prison at Pontiac, IL for a murder during the commission of an armed robbery. At the time, his address was given as 2121 W Huron (near Hoyne), and the police stated to the press that he was not related to the notorious "Frank Nitti". Vito was paroled decades later and in the 1960s was living in the suburbs (Cicero and/or Northlake). He was arrested several times in this period and told the police that he was variously the nephew or cousin of Frank Nitto. I'm not sure what happened to Vito Nitti in later years, he seems to have died in 1982.

Vito Nitti was probably a cousin of some sort of the Nick Nitti and son John Nitti, also from Grand Ave, noted for their involvement in running the Nitti Travel Agency with Tony Accardo, Jr. A Nick Nitti, of 515 N Racine, was a witness on Giuseppe Nitti's naturalization document. This was Nicola Nitti, of Triggiano, Bari who ran a grocery store at Grand and Racine. Nicola Nitti married Maria Catania, born in New Orleans to Salvatore Catania of Termini Imerese and Mattea Bivone (?) of Contessa Entellina, Palermo. The Catanias decamped to Chicago by 1900 and settled on West Ohio street. One of Nicola and Maria's kids was Nick Nitti Jr, Outfit associate. In 1968, Nick Nitti was spotted by LE traveling to Italy with JB Accardo, Tony Ricci of the Genovese, and Paul Ricca's sister Emily DeLucia , reportedky to scout out a retirement home for Ricca. Nick Nitti's sister Angelina married Stanley Jasinski ("Jason"), who was arrested in the 69s for gambling and counterfeiting charges with Smokes Aloisio and Chuckie Bartoli.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

I think you have a typo for Anthony J. Spillone:

23 Dec 1930
17 Mar 2017
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:48 pm The subject of Vito Nitti has come up before. Just to revisit him, he was not related to Frank Nitto. Vito James Nitti was most likely born around 1915-1917 in Chicago to Giuseppe Nitti of Triggiano, Bari and Teresa Victoria Ricci of Campomaggiore, Potenza. Vito James was clearly named after Giuseppe's grandfather Vito Vincenzo Nitti of Triggiano. The family lived on the Westside by Fulton and Rockwell. In 1934, young Vito was sentenced to life in prison at Pontiac, IL for a murder during the commission of an armed robbery. At the time, his address was given as 2121 W Huron (near Hoyne), and the police stated to the press that he was not related to the notorious "Frank Nitti". Vito was paroled decades later and in the 1960s was living in the suburbs (Cicero and/or Northlake). He was arrested several times in this period and told the police that he was variously the nephew or cousin of Frank Nitto. I'm not sure what happened to Vito Nitti in later years, he seems to have died in 1982.

Vito Nitti was probably a cousin of some sort of the Nick Nitti and son John Nitti, also from Grand Ave, noted for their involvement in running the Nitti Travel Agency with Tony Accardo, Jr. A Nick Nitti, of 515 N Racine, was a witness on Giuseppe Nitti's naturalization document. This was Nicola Nitti, of Triggiano, Bari who ran a grocery store at Grand and Racine. Nicola Nitti married Maria Catania, born in New Orleans to Salvatore Catania of Termini Imerese and Mattea Bivone (?) of Contessa Entellina, Palermo. The Catanias decamped to Chicago by 1900 and settled on West Ohio street. One of Nicola and Maria's kids was Nick Nitti Jr, Outfit associate. In 1968, Nick Nitti was spotted by LE traveling to Italy with JB Accardo, Tony Ricci of the Genovese, and Paul Ricca's sister Emily DeLucia , reportedky to scout out a retirement home for Ricca. Nick Nitti's sister Angelina married Stanley Jasinski ("Jason"), who was arrested in the 69s for gambling and counterfeiting charges with Smokes Aloisio and Chuckie Bartoli.
Thanks for the additional info as always.

I think Nick once travelled with Accardo to Italy. Btw, another interesting Accardo companion was Rocco DeGrazio (not DeGrazia) and i think he was also on one of Accardos trips and he was a cop or something like that...i also think that DeGrazio and Amato were at Accardos funeral but im not sure
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Yes, I think the papers listed DeGrazio as an attendee of the funeral thinking it was the better known Outfit figure, Rocco DeGrazia. Amato was the only prominent Outfit figure to attend Accardo's wake and funeral.
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

Interesting to see Accardo with Tony Ricci on a trip to Italy.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

Just seen article from 1969. Ricci, Accardo, Lansky,Jimmy Alo and a Dominick Angelina were called before grand jury.Feds were investigating recent LCN meetings, they claim were to name a successor to Vito Genovese.Both Accardo and Ricci pleaded 5th ammendment
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

Im sure LE had some of the info wrong. I dont believe Accardo would have been in the actual decision making of who the next Genovese boss would be, apart from maybe a few Genovese members seeking some advice or input from Accardo. I assume the other Outfit guy was The Wizard of Odds. I dont see where he fits in with the picking of a new Genovese boss. I think its a good possibility that the meetings where either not about pi cking the new boss or Ricci and Accardo just meeting like the ussually do.