General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Villain
Filthy Few

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by Villain »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:36 am
Villain wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:35 am New York racketeer Louis Lepke Buchalter

Those were some tough Jews.

Pogo
Sopranos? :mrgreen:
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Villain wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:38 am
Villain wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:35 am New York racketeer Louis Lepke Buchalter

Pogo
I think of this line whenever I read about guys like Lenny Patrick and Davey Yaras lol. Also whenever I go to visit my in-laws, who live right next to Patrick's old headquarters "The Four Deuces" at Devon and Bell in West Rogers Park. The joint is now a well known Indo-Pak restaurant "Hyderabad House".
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:45 am

Pogo
I think of this line whenever I read about guys like Lenny Patrick and Davey Yaras lol. Also whenever I go to visit my in-laws, who live right next to Patrick's old headquarters "The Four Deuces" at Devon and Bell in West Rogers Park. The joint is now a well known Indo-Pak restaurant "Hyderabad House".
It is interesting on how during the 50s large number of Jewish population transferred from Lawndale to Rogers Park. And btw, Yaras and Patrick killed almost the same number of people for a time priod of less than 10 years, as some of the Italian crews who killed for more than 15 or 20 years lol
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Villain wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:25 am

Pogo
It is interesting on how during the 50s large number of Jewish population transferred from Lawndale to Rogers Park. And btw, Yaras and Patrick killed almost the same number of people for a time priod of less than 10 years, as some of the Italian crews who killed for more than 15 or 20 years lol
The "YP crew" (lol) stands I think without a doubt as among the most vicious Jewish OC groups in US history.

Post WW2 the Jewish communities in the Westside -- in both North Lawndale and my neighborhood of Humboldt Park -- packed up and moved en masse to the far Northside neighborhoods of Albany Park and Rogers Park. As with the famous inner city Italian "Patches" and many old school Irish parishes of lore, inner city Jewish Chicago disintegrated practically overnight. All part of the particular structural pattern of ethnic succession in Chicago, where with each generation the immigrant groups moved in concentric circles away from the origins in the port of entry neighborhoods in the Near West side and "River Wards". When I was a kid there was still a very strong Orthodox Jewish community in West Ridge along Peterson and Devon Ave (it was like a miniature Boro Park, Brooklyn) though in recent decades that has declined a lot and the area is today a polyglot community full of Middle Easterners, Asians, Africans, Haitians etc alongside a number of remaining Orthodox.

The Polish communities were different in that Chicago for many years continued to attract a sizeable Polish immigrant population that repeatedly "re-Polonized" Chicago Polonia. A much smaller movement of Italian post-War immigrants to Elmwood Park/Harlem Avenue and Soviet Jews to the far Northside and suburbs had a similar effrct but on a much smaller scale.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Yeah. One of the psychiatrists said that after he brought up Lepke. :mrgreen:

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:43 am

Pogo
The "YP crew" (lol) stands I think without a doubt as among the most vicious Jewish OC groups in US history.

Post WW2 the Jewish communities in the Westside -- in both North Lawndale and my neighborhood of Humboldt Park -- packed up and moved en masse to the far Northside neighborhoods of Albany Park and Rogers Park. As with the famous inner city Italian "Patches" and many old school Irish parishes of lore, inner city Jewish Chicago disintegrated practically overnight. All part of the particular structural pattern of ethnic succession in Chicago, where with each generation the immigrant groups moved in concentric circles away from the origins in the port of entry neighborhoods in the Near West side and "River Wards". When I was a kid there was still a very strong Orthodox Jewish community in West Ridge along Peterson and Devon Ave (it was like a miniature Boro Park, Brooklyn) though in recent decades that has declined a lot and the area is today a polyglot community full of Middle Easterners, Asians, Africans, Haitians etc alongside a number of remaining Orthodox.

The Polish communities were different in that Chicago for many years continued to attract a sizeable Polish immigrant population that repeatedly "re-Polonized" Chicago Polonia. A much smaller movement of Italian post-War immigrants to Elmwood Park/Harlem Avenue and Soviet Jews to the far Northside and suburbs had a similar effrct but on a much smaller scale.
Thanks for the explanation bud and yeah, i agree that it happened very quickly or as you said, overnight. Previously Lawndale gave the birth to many Jewish gangsters and as you already know, when the whole transfer occurred, Patrick also transferred on the North with the blessings from both Giancana and Prio. At the same time, Giancana told Patrick from that point on he was going to report to Alex (untill 1990), which possibly means that Patrick also transferred from the West to the South faction since he previously started with Mangano and later answered to Battaglia and Giancana. The Patrick crew was so ruthless that they even had the balls to go against the Buccieri crew lol
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Villain wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:25 am

Pogo

Thanks for the explanation bud and yeah, i agree that it happened very quickly or as you said, overnight. Previously Lawndale gave the birth to many Jewish gangsters and as you already know, when the whole transfer occurred, Patrick also transferred on the North with the blessings from both Giancana and Prio. At the same time, Giancana told Patrick from that point on he was going to report to Alex (untill 1990), which possibly means that Patrick also transferred from the West to the South faction since he previously started with Mangano and later answered to Battaglia and Giancana. The Patrick crew was so ruthless that they even had the balls to go against the Buccieri crew lol
Patrick and Yaras Sr were truly a couple of mean bastards, no doubt about it!

Another interesting fact is that Prio used to live near Granville just a couple of blocks from Patrick's Northside HQ on Devon. Once he moved on up out of the old Sicilian ghetto, Prio wanted to live with the Jews lol.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:03 pm Another interesting fact is that Prio used to live near Granville just a couple of blocks from Patrick's Northside HQ on Devon. Once he moved on up out of the old Sicilian ghetto, Prio wanted to live with the Jews lol.
Theres one story...during the 60s when all of these guys were quite paranoid, Prio wanted to rent an apartment in the same building where Gus Alex also resided at 1150 North Lake Shore Drive. When Alex heard about the "news", he quickly called Prio and advised him about he moving in the same building, which can bring a very bad publicity and so Prio backed off
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Villain wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:15 pm
PolackTony wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:03 pm Another interesting fact is that Prio used to live near Granville just a couple of blocks from Patrick's Northside HQ on Devon. Once he moved on up out of the old Sicilian ghetto, Prio wanted to live with the Jews lol.
Theres one story...during the 60s when all of these guys were quite paranoid, Prio wanted to rent an apartment in the same building where Gus Alex also resided at 1150 North Lake Shore Drive. When Alex heard about the "news", he quickly called Prio and advised him about he moving in the same building, which can bring a very bad publicity and so Prio backed off
Thanks yes, I remember reading about this I think in Alex's files?
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:38 pm
Villain wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:15 pm
Thanks yes, I remember reading about this I think in Alex's files?
Maybe yeah...if not, then it must be in Prios files lol
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

PolackTony wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:03 pm
Villain wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:25 am

Pogo

Patrick and Yaras Sr were truly a couple of mean bastards, no doubt about it!

Another interesting fact is that Prio used to live near Granville just a couple of blocks from Patrick's Northside HQ on Devon. Once he moved on up out of the old Sicilian ghetto, Prio wanted to live with the Jews lol.
Bernard "Pee Pee" Posner was one of their prime lieutenants - father of Mike Posner. Also Body Cowan, Jack Gale and some other tough guys.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

The previous talk with Antiliar reminded me to make this "short" list regarding John Moore aka Claude Maddox who in turn was one of the most feared and respected members, and on top of that he is the prime example regarding the importance of the non-Italians and their involvement in the creation of the Chicago Outfit during the old days. Enjoy

- John E. Moore was born on January 26, 1901 in St. Louis, Missouri

- Moore enlisted in the army at the age of 17 and by the end of 1918 he returned home to St. Louis.

- by 1919, Moore joined the Egan’s Rats gang which included criminals such as Dint Colbeck, Ray Renard, Max and Morris Greenberg, Fred Burke and Willie Heeney. In 1919, Heeney fled St. Louis and went to Chicago.

- in May, 1919, the passage of the Prohibition law started in St. Louis, less then one year before it was accepted all around the country

- the Egan Rats gang divided in two factions. One was led by Willie Egan which was trying to hold on the liquor business and the other faction was headed by Max Greenberg which was mostly involved in bank robberies.

- on August 5, 1919, John Moore was sentenced to 1 year in the workhouse prison for burglary following a plea of guilty for larceny in St. Louis.

- Greenberg’s crew accomplished another bank burglary on April 9, 1920 of the Lowell Bank, and so on July 10, 1920, 19 year old Johnny Moore again received a 1-year sentence in the workhouse on robbery charges.

- in 1922, some of the gangsters considered leaving St. Louis like Max Greenberg who went straight to Detroit, while Johnny Moore decided to go north to the city of Chicago and join his old associate Willie Heeney who arrived there 3 years earlier. Moore changed his name to Claude Maddox and made a new identity to protect himself from the rival factions back in St. Louis and also to cover his criminal background

- on December 1, 1923, Maddox together with two of his associates Joe Lafferty, who was a known as prominent burglar and Pat Dwyer, a known killer, made an attempt to rob the safes in the Waiters Association Club rooms at 105 West Madison Street, Chicago. But during the attempt someone called the police and the three men were arrested. On December 18, 1923 Claude Maddox was indicted by the Cook County grand jury for the attempted burglary, jointly with Lafferty and Dwyer. But later the individual who called the cops and was the main and only witness in their trial, suddenly disappeared from the face of the earth. So on June 5, 1923, the case was stricken off because there was nobody to testify and so the burglars were free of charge.

- on November 4, 1924, at 10:50 a. m. Maddox and two of his associates John Mackey, member of the Valley gang and Anthony “Red” Kissane, who was one of the most a notorious gangsters in Chicago at the time, were riding in a car in front of 405 South Hoyne Avenue, when suddenly they were ambushed by another car. The attackers fired few shotgun blasts at their car, thus instantly wounding John Mackey who was driving at the moment. Kissane and Maddox tried to flee from the attempted killing, but they were injured in the same moment. As they walked out of the car, in some fashion both of them hurt their ankles. When the cops arrived at the scene they found Maddox and Kissane laying on the ground and Mackey was in the car almost dead.

They picked up Maddox and Kissane to the police station but Mackey died on the route to the hospital. During the questioning Kissane admitted that the cause of the shooting stemmed from a fight with another rival alcohol-running gang, and each gang was out to get the other. But the authorities suspected that the shooting was connected with the factional trouble of a teamsters union and the precinct election that occurred the same day because the shooting scene was near a polling place. Later both Kissane and Maddox were released. Six days later, one mob boss from around their area known as Dean O’Banion was assassinated in his flower shop allegedly by the Capone mob in collaboration with New York mobster Frankie Yale.

- by 1926, Tony Capezio promoted Al Capone’s charity works on the Northwest and same as Heeney and Maddox, he was also believed to have been the Mobs go-between guy with other independent notorious gunmen. Sometime around this period Capezio together with Maddox opened the infamous bar at 1857 W. North Avenue which was called the Circus Café. In time the joint became "home" of many Chicago gangsters and Capone members such as Jack McGurn, Louis Stacey aka Stacci, Rocco DeGrazia, Joe Lolordo, Louis Campagna etc.

- by 1927, Al Capone was accommodated at The Hawthorne Hotel at 4823 22nd Street, with he being on the top floor, while Heeney and Maddox were on the floor right below him.

- in May 1927, former Egan's Rats Fred Burke, Ray Nugent, Bob Carey and Gus Winkler had a meeting with Al Capone at the Hawthorne Inn in Cicero. According to an informant who later gave the info, present at the meeting were Capone’s associates Claude Maddox, Tony Capezio, Louis Campagna and Frank Rio.

- in 1927, Maddox and Heeney brought another member in the crew known as Fred Goetz a.k.a. George Zeigler. Goetz was a born Chicagoan with a college degree, but besides being a killer, he was also a pedophile.

- Maddox, Burke and Louis Campagna were allegedly part of a hit team regarding the July 1, 1928, murder of Frankie Yale in New York.

- by 1928, Joe Lolordo and his brother and Mafia boss Patsy Lolordo also owned their own club which was located right across the Circus Cafe

- Capone called a meeting in late October, 1928 in the Chicago Heights area, which was a place he often used as a hide out. Capone gathered his men at the house of the new rising boss of the Chicago Heights faction, Vincenzo Ammirato a.k.a. Jim Emery. Other gangsters who attended this meeting were Frank LaPorte, second in command of Emery, Sam Costello, the boss of the Sicilian faction in the Heights, Nick Circella, a known Capone hoodlum (some say it was Fur Summons instead of Circella), Louis Campagna, Rocco DeGrazia, and Circus gang leaders Claude Maddox and Willie Heeney.

- around late November 1928, Capone called for another meeting with the boys from out of town. The meeting took place at a house on Cranberry Lake, six miles north of Couderay, Wisconsin. Present at the meeting were Frank Nitto, Louis Campagna, Fred Burke, Gus Winkler, Fred Goetz, the First Ward Republican committeeman Daniel Serritella, North Side politician William Pacelli, and Capone himself.

- on February 14, 1929, the infamous St Valentines Day massacre occurred which resulted with the murder of 7 associates of the former O'Banion gang.

- on February 22, 1929, Tony Capezio, Joseph Lolordo and Raymond Schulte needed to get rid of the getaway cars. First they dynamited one of the cars in west suburban Maywood, the area where Claude Maddox and his family lived at the time. Than they came back to the garage at 1723 North Wood St., to demolish the second getaway car (the fake police black Cadillac) with acetylene torch, axes and hacksaws. But Capezio made a mistake that nearly cost his life. While he was cutting through the gas tank with the acetylene torch, a fire broke out and blew him to the ceiling, knocking him unconscious. The reason was that he forgot to empty the gas tank.

Capezio burned his arms and hands, so Schulte took him to the North Avenue clinic, but when they arrived there they suddenly ran back out because they realized that someone might’ve heard the blast and would be calling the cops. This stunt earned Capezio’s nickname “Tough Tony.” Several years later bank robber Alvin Karpis, who was a close friend of Capezio's, also confirmed this story.

- on February 23, 1929, the cops found out that the man who rented the fake police car under the false name “Frank Rogers” also gave his address as 1859 W. North Avenue, which was a place just few doors behind the infamous Circus Café and so they immediately arrested Claude Maddox who in turn was found in the same joint. The cops searched the place and found a Thompson drum full of cartridges and many overcoats strewn about the back of the cafe. They also found a loaded .45 in one of the overcoats. Maddox was brought in the police station for questioning, but he was later released when he showed his alibi by being in court on an unrelated charge at the same time when the massacre occurred. Judge Peter H. Schwaba confirmed Maddox presence in his court from 9:30 to 12:15 o’clock on the same day of the murders, which took at about 10:45 a.m.

- on February 26, 1929, Deputy Police Commissioner John Stege issued an order for the arrest of 17 well known criminals in the Chicago area including Maddox for the second time, Heeney, Capezio, Rocco Belcastro, Sam Loverde, Joe Lolordo, Danny Vallo, Frank Maritote, George Giacola, Rocco Fanelli etc. The cops also questioned Jewish mob boss and Capone’s right hand man Jake Guzik, since they had records of Guzik calling Capone in Florida from The Congress hotel shortly before, and after the massacre went down.

- on March 5, 1929, the cops raided a liquor depot on the North Side which was operated under the auspices of Claude Maddox and Danny Vallo. During the raid, on the wall of the garage the cops noticed a paper with the name, home address, telephone number of a police officer and also information where he might be reached in any hour of the day.

- by 1930 Maddox was also involved in the International Union of Operating Engineers and according to police reports he played a leading role in the invasion of the union. Later Maddox also brought in his partner Tony Capezio in control of Local 705 of the Teamsters and Chauffeurs Union.

- on October 12, 1930, Maddox had a meeting in his automobile with Jack White and George Barker. The car was parked just few doors down from Capone's Cicero headquarters on West 22d Street. Suddenly few officers of the State Attorney’s office approached the car and arrested the men. In the car were found also a couple of revolvers.

- in September 1930, the States Attorney announced that Maddox's associate Frank White will be called again in front of a jury regarding the 1925 murder of Officer Edward Pflaume, and also will be charged for bank robbery and for carrying a concealed weapon. The main witnesses were policemen James McBride and Charles Jones.

- on October 30, 1930, policeman McBride was driving to the States Attorney’s office to assist Prosecutor Harry Ditchburne in gathering the evidences for the new trial of White. Suddenly another car approached McBride with Fur Summons on the wheel and Maddox on the passenger seat with a sawed-off shotgun in his hand. Maddox fired a shot at Officer McBride’s head and the gangsters took off. McBride was heavily wounded, half of his face was in blood, his jaw was shattered and his vocal cords were also affected but miraculously he survived the attack. He was taken to the intensive care unit at West Lake hospital in Melrose Park.

- on November 13, 1930, Maddox appeared in court of Judge John F. Lyle, handcuffed by two policemen, to answer on the charges of assault to kill a police officer. This time Justice Lyle ordered a $100,000 bond or $200,000 in real estate and ordered the defendant to be held in jail. Maddox’ attorney William Smith jumped in his defense by saying “This bond is absolutely out of reason”. Judge Lyle replied “This bond is exorbitant for an ordinary case, it is true, but this case is an exception to the rule. A crime of this nature was not thought of by the lawmakers when they passed the bond laws”. As addition Claude Maddox also added that “McBride only thought that I was one of the men who shot him while he was riding on the street car. I have as much chance standing trial here as I have flying to the moon”.

- on November 25, 1930, corrupt Judge Joseph David sliced $90,000 of the $100,000 bond for Maddox during the hearing. The prosecutors commented that “Judge Davis actions cannot be explained, except that he says he’s following the law when he is turning these mad dogs out on the street”. Maddox’s lawyers paid the bond and he was released again until the next hearing of the witness against him. Later Maddox walked free.

- on June 25, 1931 Maddox was again arrested but this time in the company of Rocco DeGrazia, Tony Capezio, Louis Stacey aka Stacci, John Purdy and Lawrence Imburgio aka Bulger, while having a dinner in a Du Page county roadhouse. All of them gave fake names and addresses and the cops seized them for questioning in connection with the 1929 massacre and their bootlegging operations.

- in October 1931, Maddox's associate Fred Burke was visited by Capone’s associate Phil D’Andrea at Marquette prison in Michigan. According to the prison’s Warden James Corgan, D’Andrea only exchanged few words with Burke and than left.

- by 1931, Maddox's associate Ray Nugent remained as an associate of the Capone gang by acting as bodyguard for Ralph Capone and followed him to Miami. That same year Nugent disappeared and legend goes that he had become a liability to the Outfit and had been taken out into the Everglades and fed to the alligators.

- on June 17, 1932, Maddox's associate George Barker was walking in front of 1502 North Crawford avenue with three of his friends. Suddenly 36 machinegun bullets were fired into Barker’s body. The police found the room across the street that had evidently been used as a machine gun nest. There were shells on the floor and a rifle that had been abandoned. The amazing thing was that the aim of the assassins was so accurate that none of Barker’s friends were struck by the bullets. Later the cops found out that the room was rented by some couple that were on alleged honeymoon. There was also a car that oversaw the killing and the men in the car were Claude Maddox and Frank White. This was confirmed years later by an FBI wiretap.

- in 1932, Maddox's associate Bob Carey decided to leave town together with his wife and headed to New York. According to police reports, on the night of July 29, 1932, Carey shot his wife to death, after which he turned the gun on himself. Some investigators believe that Carey and his wife were in fact killed by the Mob.

- on March 20, 1933, Maddox's associate Fred Goetz was murdered in a drive-by shooting outside of a closed Cicero restaurant, the Minerva. Gangster Alvin Karpis said that Frank Nitto ordered the murder, while Maddox and Heeney delivered it.

- on October 9, 1933, Maddox's associate Gus Winkler was headed to the beer distribution office of Charles Weber at 1414 North Roscoe Avenue. Upon his arrival Winkler was hit with 72 shotgun pellets by Mob assassins and died on the spot.

- in 1934, Maddox's headquarters was a tavern at 2241 South Cicero Avenue, and also had interests in one famous blues and jazz club klnown as The Hi-Ho.

- on January 25, 1935 Maddox was arrested as he walked in his home at 2240 S. Oak Park Avenue, Berwyn and was brought to the police station for questioning again regarding the 1929 St Valentines Day massacre.

- on February 4, 1935, the president of Chicago Moving Picture Operators union Thomas Malloy was slain by Outfit assassins. Suspects in the murder and immediately arrested were Claude Maddox, Ralph Pierce, Sam Hunt and Les Kruse.

- on August 15, 1935, eight gangsters including Joey Aiuppa, were arrested regarding various hold-ups on golf clubs in Chicago. Aiuppa was aksed who he was working for, he answered “You know me, I’m working for Johnny Moore”. Within few minutes Aiuppa and the rest of the gangsters were released. Aiuppa ran all gambling operations for Maddox, including the Greyhound Recreation Center at 4031 West Cermak Road, the Turf Nighclub, the Paddock Lounge, the Post Time Lounge and the Circle Club. Aiuppa became a charter member of Maddox’s Local 450 and during the mid 1930’s he was arrested during his connection to Maddox regarding an aggravated assault.

- in 1936 the evening before Saint Valentine’s Day, or in other words the Massacre’s seventh anniversary, Maddox's associate Jack McGurn went bowling at the second floor of the Avenue Recreation Rooms on 805 North Milwaukee Avenue which was owned by Capezio's henchman Willie Aloisio. McGurn was bowling with two of his gangster friends, including Frank White and Maddox who in turn both became his executioners that same day. Years later an FBI wiretap confirmed Maddox’s and White’s involvement in the hit.

- in 1940 Maddox was in control of Local 450 of the Bartenders, Waiters, Waitresses, and Miscellaneous Workers' union at 2137 South Cicero Avenue, Cicero. Maddox was listed in the Local’s books as a member and officer and in 1941 he was a delegate at the International's convention in Cincinnati, Ohio as a representative of Local 450. That same year, Maddox was labelled as being a member of the so-called “Big Four” in the union racketeering business, which also included Murray Humphreys, Danny Stanton and Frank Nitto.

- on May 5, 1943, Maddox's associate Danny Stanton and his close associate Louis Dorman were shot to death in a bar at 6500 May Street.

- a young female by the name of Cecelia Ashley was the witness who saw Stanton's and Dorman's killers, and so on May 8, 1943, Miss Ashley disappeared from the face of the earth.

- on January 25, 1947, Al Capone died and was buried аt Mount Carmel Cemetery in Hillside, Illinois. Most of the top echelon of Chicago’s underworld didn’t show up at his funeral because of the publicity but according to investigators Willie Heeney and Claude Maddox were there. Years later Virgil Peterson, the head of Chicago Crime Commission reported that Maddox, Joey Aiuppa and Robert Ansani were pallbearers at Capone’s funeral which was a closed affair.

- by 1949, Maddox, Aiuppa and Ansani had their hands in the Taylor & Co. at 4848 W 25th St in Cicero. The company was a front for manufacturing and transportation of gambling devices, like slot machines, around the city of Chicago and beyond. This was the same time when the Chicago Outfit began entering Las Vegas.

- by 1950, Maddox controlled the Produce Drivers' Union and Local 703 at 216 South Ashland Avenue, the Picture Frame Workers Union and Local 731 at Southwestern Avenue, the International Hodcarriers Union at 814 West Harrison Street, the Movie Operators Projectionists Union Local 110, the Hotel, Club, Restaurant Employees, and Bartenders International Union, Suburban Local 450 at 2137 South Cicero Avenue, and the Hotel-Motel Service Workers, Drugstore, Sports Events and Industrial Catering Union, Local 593 at 10 North Wells. Maddox's prime overseers were the Lardino brothers, John and Dan.

- on July 13 (Friday the 13th), 1951, Maddox's oldest associate 63 year old Willie Heeney died of tuberculosis in the Mercy Hospital in Cicero and was buried in Mount Carmel Cemetery. Many high profile Outfit members came to his wake including Maddox.

- in August 1952, Maddox was the host of a lavish gangster champagne party and the occasion was the wedding of his eldest son Bob Moore. The party was a gala affair with a 12-piece orchestra and the vintage wine flowed freely. The newsmen who motored to the country club were urged not to enter the clubhouse by 10 husky bodyguards in tuxedos. The wedding was visited by more than 1000 guests including Paul Ricca, Tony Accardo and the Outfit's underboss Sam Giancana.

- in 1953, Maddox became a celebrity in the fashionable show horse set by winning ribbons with horses kept at the Onwentsia stables, near Lake Forest. His main establishment was the Pat Kay horse stable in an exclusive country area north of Barring, Cuba Township, Lake county in which numerous high profile society figures resided. The ownership was listed as Mr. John Moore and Mrs. Alice Moore, his wife. His son Bob and William Campbell were the frontmen for these stables.

- in October, 1954 the officials in Cuba Township thought that office of the Pat Kay stables would be a good central location for a polling place for the 512 voters, but the ownership of the stables by Maddox became highly publicized and so the county officials decided to move the polling place to the Biltmore Country club.

- on January 22, 1955, Maddox was again the host of another huge lavish gangster party but this time it was the wedding of his daughter Patricia. It was a Franklin Park social event and among those present at the reception were Paul Ricca, Tony and his brother John Accardo, Sam Giancana, Joseph Aiuppa, Robert Ansani, Mike Spranze, John Lardino, Lenny Patrick, and numerous others. Most of the cars that brought the guests to the reception bore license plates issued to many known union officials from Chicago and around the country.

- on May 30, 1955, Louis Campagna died of a heart attack on his yacht off the coast of Florida. The wake was attended by every member of the Outfit including the top bosses Ricca, Accardo and Giancana, followed by Jack Cerone, Willie Aloisio, Ralph Pierce, Frank LaPorte, John Lardino, Tony Accardo, Murray Humphreys, Joey Glimco, Eddie Vogel and Claude Maddox. Maddox drove a car to the wake with 1955 license plates 745-748, issued to John Lardino, 10 North Wells Street, Chicago, which was the address of local 593.

- on July 7, 1955 Tony Capezio died from a massive heart attack and less than three hundred people attended his funeral but most of the mobsters were missing, not because of any dislike towards Capezio but simply because they didn't want to be seen by police or federal agents who mingled around the area. But Claude Maddox, who was Capezio’s long time friend and cohort, did show up.

- in October, 1954 the government investigated Maddox’ the Taylor & Company organization and found out that it was a front for manufacturing and distributing gambling devices in violation of the federal laws. Maddox, Aiuppa and Ansani were all arrested and taken to the FBI building for further questioning. Maddox was released on a $1,000 bond but outside the federal building he was again arrested by Peter McGuire, chief investigator for the Illinois attorney general, who arraigned a trial.

- in 1956, the government’s informant who was a salesman for the Taylor Company named Walter Clinnin, vanished from the face of the earth. But the problem for Maddox was that the agents already had the records to prove the illegal operations.

- in January, 1956, Maddox, Aiuppa, Ansani and two other partners R. J. Johnson and Harry Milner were convicted, based on an indictment that the defendants had shipped gambling equipment in interstate commerce from Chicago to Pennsylvania in violation of the Johnson Act. Following their convictions, Federal Judge William J. Campbell sentenced each defendant to serve 1 year and 1 day in Federal prison and to pay a fine of $1,000 and costs. The case was appealed, but they were upheld on appeal, and the men went to prison. This was the first time after more than 30 years for Maddox to set foot in jail, again.

- in 1957, Maddox was released from prison after serving 10 months. He continued to reside at his home at 3536 S. Harlem Avenue, Riverside and kept a very low profile.

- on June 21, 1958, Maddox died from a heart attack in his sleep. The services for Claude Maddox were held at the chapel at 4000 St. Charles rd., Bellwood and besides the publicity, out of respect the funeral was visited by many Chicago Outfit high profile figures including Paul Ricca, Tony Accardo, Sam Giancana, Joey Aiuppa and Gus Alex. Maddox died just in time to avoid answering a subpoena from the Rackets Committee of the United States Senate. Besides his wife Alice, 58 year old Maddox was survived by his two sons Bob and Terry and his daughter Patricia.
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

You guys following all these Outfit guys photos in Reddit from BokaBreeze? Some good pics - some creepy assume these are from Facebook. His Frank Caruso Jr. photo must be an old one.
funkster
Full Patched

Post by funkster »

SolarSolano wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:35 pm You guys following all these Outfit guys photos in Reddit from BokaBreeze? Some good pics - some creepy assume these are from Facebook. His Frank Caruso Jr. photo must be an old one.
He also posted one of Steve Panzarella a few weeks ago.