DiCarlo / Pieri -- Youngstown affiliation?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

JCB1977
Filthy Few

Re: DiCarlo / Pieri -- Youngstown affiliation?

Post by JCB1977 »

B. wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:27 am
Stroccos wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:00 am
B. wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:08 pm
Stroccos wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:04 am any idea if yonnie had akron and mansfield under his thumb?

also on a side note in john rubeos sitdwon with Danny Marino jr he asked if the gamblers who were owed money were italian and from youngstown. that may indicate the gambinos have some connection to ohio or they did in the past and can reach out
No clue on where Akron and Mansfield fell in the early days, but Leo Moceri was under his cousin Yonnie Licavoli in Toledo then later moved to Akron, so probably some connection there.

Nice find on the Marino Jr. bit. So it was Marino who asked if the men were Italians from Youngstown? Points to Youngstown still falling into the mafia network somehow. Were the men from Youngstown like he thought?
Yeah it was Marino Jr who asked , no they were from stark county near canton , ironically was a pretty corrupt city at one time as well . he was worried the unpaid gamblers from ohio would go to the feds
So Rubeo and Marino Jr.'s gambling operation included players in Ohio? I'm clueless on most of the details of that case aside from the big beats that came out in Gangland, so this is all news to me.

Marino asking if they were Italians from Youngtown would def suggest he had some knowledge of connected people there, otherwise I can't imagine it would make a difference where in Ohio they were from or what their ethnicity was.
According to Lenine "Lenny" Strollo's federal trial testimony, he interceded in an "alleged" beef between John Gotti and BJ Alan Fireworks CEO Bruce Zoldan who was being extorted by Gotti and the Gambino's.

Another strong connection to Youngstown was NJ Gambino member Joseph "Demus" Covello, a lieutenant for the Gambino's. The sports book between Youngstown and Wheeling, WV was run by Joey Naples (Youngstown kingpin) and Paul Hankish (Wheeling, WV kingpin). Covello was Godfather to Paul Hankish's daughter. Paul laid off most of his action to Covello in NJ as well as the rest to the Patriarca Crime Family. Paul Hankish was arguably one of the most powerful non Italian associates in the U.S. Mafia. Paul Hankish also had direct ties to Sam DeCalvacante.

Youngstown ties to the Gambino's can be traced at least to Paul Romeo & Dominic Mallamo, former longtime Bosses of Youngstown through their Reggio Calabria roots going back to the 1940's. Romeo grew up in Casignana, RC and Mallamo in San Nicola Ardore, RC. The Origins of the U.S Mafia by Critchley cited Dominic Mallamo being made into a NYC family (I believe it was the Profaci's). Additionally, Mallamo's older brother Nicola "Nicky" Mallamo who was killed in Niles, Oh in 1927 had strong ties to NY back int he 1920's through a few of his cousins who settled there.
https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... New%20York

Additionally, Nicola "Greaseball" Melia had his family roots in the Youngstown/Western PA area. Melia is a high ranking Gambino associate and a cousin to Dominic Mallamo, he ran/runs Stamford,CT. Nicola Melia had a brother Vince who was BIG in Montreal, both Calabrians. Nick Melia used to spend a few weeks at my grandparents house when he was in town visiting relatives, going to weddings or attending funerals.
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

JCB1977 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:00 am
Stroccos wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:04 am any idea if yonnie had akron and mansfield under his thumb?

also on a side note in john rubeos sitdwon with Danny Marino jr he asked if the gamblers who were owed money were italian and from youngstown. that may indicate the gambinos have some connection to ohio or they did in the past and can reach out
No clue on where Akron and Mansfield fell in the early days, but Leo Moceri was under his cousin Yonnie Licavoli in Toledo then later moved to Akron, so probably some connection there.

Nice find on the Marino Jr. bit. So it was Marino who asked if the men were Italians from Youngstown? Points to Youngstown still falling into the mafia network somehow. Were the men from Youngstown like he thought?
What years for Akron? The very early days was Rosario Borgia. LaFatch Brothers were there 1940's-1970's. I've never come across a document regarding Yonnie in Akron. Mansfield was Tony Mollica (Calabrian) and Columbus, OH was Michele "Mike" D'Angelo. Mollica lived in Mansfield from 1929 until his death. He operated the Ritz Nite Club and was the head of the numbers racket there.
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
Stroccos
Full Patched

Post by Stroccos »

JCB1977 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:34 am
JCB1977 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:00 am

What years for Akron? The very early days was Rosario Borgia. LaFatch Brothers were there 1940's-1970's. I've never come across a document regarding Yonnie in Akron. Mansfield was Tony Mollica (Calabrian) and Columbus, OH was Michele "Mike" D'Angelo. Mollica lived in Mansfield from 1929 until his death. He operated the Ritz Nite Club and was the head of the numbers racket there.
no idea if there is any truth to it , right before yonnie was arrested allegelly he was attemping to take akron rackets, he was also arrested in hiding in akron for the murder case ,
"if he's such A sports wizard , whys he tending bar ?" Nicky Scarfo
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

JCB1977 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:16 am According to Lenine "Lenny" Strollo's federal trial testimony, he interceded in an "alleged" beef between John Gotti and BJ Alan Fireworks CEO Bruce Zoldan who was being extorted by Gotti and the Gambino's.

Another strong connection to Youngstown was NJ Gambino member Joseph "Demus" Covello, a lieutenant for the Gambino's. The sports book between Youngstown and Wheeling, WV was run by Joey Naples (Youngstown kingpin) and Paul Hankish (Wheeling, WV kingpin). Covello was Godfather to Paul Hankish's daughter. Paul laid off most of his action to Covello in NJ as well as the rest to the Patriarca Crime Family. Paul Hankish was arguably one of the most powerful non Italian associates in the U.S. Mafia. Paul Hankish also had direct ties to Sam DeCalvacante.

Youngstown ties to the Gambino's can be traced at least to Paul Romeo & Dominic Mallamo, former longtime Bosses of Youngstown through their Reggio Calabria roots going back to the 1940's. Romeo grew up in Casignana, RC and Mallamo in San Nicola Ardore, RC. The Origins of the U.S Mafia by Critchley cited Dominic Mallamo being made into a NYC family (I believe it was the Profaci's). Additionally, Mallamo's older brother Nicola "Nicky" Mallamo who was killed in Niles, Oh in 1927 had strong ties to NY back int he 1920's through a few of his cousins who settled there.

Additionally, Nicola "Greaseball" Melia had his family roots in the Youngstown/Western PA area. Melia is a high ranking Gambino associate and a cousin to Dominic Mallamo, he ran/runs Stamford,CT. Nicola Melia had a brother Vince who was BIG in Montreal, both Calabrians. Nick Melia used to spend a few weeks at my grandparents house when he was in town visiting relatives, going to weddings or attending funerals.
Very interesting reference to Mallamo being made into an NYC family. What makes you think it was Profaci? There were a small number of mainlanders in the Profaci family by the 1930s, but it was an overwhelmingly Sicilian family. I'd be surprised if he was with Profaci, but would be interested in what you've found. Did he previously live in NYC? Great find!

Charlie Cavallaro is another Gambino Youngstown connection. When he transferred out of Pittsburgh he joined the Gambino family (then under Mangano). I'm under the impression he remained in Ohio, possibly Youngstown, while he was a Gambino member, then transferred to Cleveland or possibly back to Pittsburgh by the time of his murder. Some of the affiliations are obviously confusing (hence the original post in this thread).

Also, Whitey Besase was a Detroit member in Toledo. Some of those guys in outlying Ohio towns show up in FBI reports as Cleveland members because non-members assumed they were part of Cleveland, but some of them turned out to be with Detroit and Pittsburgh.
Stroccos
Full Patched

Post by Stroccos »

B. wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:40 am
JCB1977 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:16 am According to Lenine "Lenny" Strollo's federal trial testimony, he interceded in an "alleged" beef between John Gotti and BJ Alan Fireworks CEO Bruce Zoldan who was being extorted by Gotti and the Gambino's.

Very interesting reference to Mallamo being made into an NYC family. What makes you think it was Profaci? There were a small number of mainlanders in the Profaci family by the 1930s, but it was an overwhelmingly Sicilian family. I'd be surprised if he was with Profaci, but would be interested in what you've found. Did he previously live in NYC? Great find!

Charlie Cavallaro is another Gambino Youngstown connection. When he transferred out of Pittsburgh he joined the Gambino family (then under Mangano). I'm under the impression he remained in Ohio, possibly Youngstown, while he was a Gambino member, then transferred to Cleveland or possibly back to Pittsburgh by the time of his murder. Some of the affiliations are obviously confusing (hence the original post in this thread).

Also, Whitey Besase was a Detroit member in Toledo. Some of those guys in outlying Ohio towns show up in FBI reports as Cleveland members because non-members assumed they were part of Cleveland, but some of them turned out to be with Detroit and Pittsburgh.
interesting enough the fbi had mallamo in the Cleveland family in there 1980's chart
FriendofHenry
Full Patched

Post by FriendofHenry »

Very interesting that the Feds had Mallamo in Cleveland. Maybe JCB could shed some light on this?
"Never walk in a room unless you know your way out" - Henry Zottola
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

^^^^
Some background:

https://www.archives.gov/files/research ... 304665.pdf

I seem to recall that JCB or another poster has linked to this file before.
FriendofHenry
Full Patched

Post by FriendofHenry »

antimafia wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:30 am ^^^^
Some background:

https://www.archives.gov/files/research ... 304665.pdf

I seem to recall that JCB or another poster has linked to this file before.
Yes, I recall seeing that Doc before. Thanx for calling it to my attention.
Stroccos
Full Patched

Post by Stroccos »

FriendofHenry wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:49 am Very interesting that the Feds had Mallamo in Cleveland. Maybe JCB could shed some light on this?
it simply could be the feds got it wrong
since lonardo testified at the same hearing i wonder if he had any insight on that chart
FriendofHenry
Full Patched

Post by FriendofHenry »

Stroccos wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:00 pm
FriendofHenry wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:49 am Very interesting that the Feds had Mallamo in Cleveland. Maybe JCB could shed some light on this?
since lonardo testified at the same hearing i wonder if he had any insight on that chart
Hard to believe that the Feds would get anything wrong :lol: :lol: :lol:
Maybe we should PM JCB and see what he has to say? After all, Big Dom was his Uncle and he seems well versed in his family's history.
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Mallamo was closely aligned with Tony Milano. He’s stuck very close to the Calabrians. He was tight with Bazzano, Ripepi and Jimmy Tripodi from Pittsburgh but answered to Tony Milano. From the research I have been able to find, it seems like he was aligned with Pittsburgh early on and then Cleveland. By 1980, he was in semi retirement and his nephew Jimmy Prato was running the show. Mallamo had the Romeo brothers, Frank & Bruno Mallamo as well as Jimmy Prato and Dominic Prato as his close knit group in Youngstown. Ultimately, Milano called the shots with the Calabrians.

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
Stroccos
Full Patched

Post by Stroccos »

FriendofHenry wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:09 am
Stroccos wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:00 pm
Hard to believe that the Feds would get anything wrong :lol: :lol: :lol:
Maybe we should PM JCB and see what he has to say? After all, Big Dom was his Uncle and he seems well versed in his family's history.
yeah he has posted before that big dom was with Pittsburgh , maybe he was with Cleveland at some point as well

edit oops I see he responded
Stroccos
Full Patched

Post by Stroccos »

JCB1977 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:05 pm Mallamo was closely aligned with Tony Milano. He’s stuck very close to the Calabrians. He was tight with Bazzano, Ripepi and Jimmy Tripodi from Pittsburgh but answered to Tony Milano. From the research I have been able to find, it seems like he was aligned with Pittsburgh early on and then Cleveland. By 1980, he was in semi retirement and his nephew Jimmy Prato was running the show. Mallamo had the Romeo brothers, Frank & Bruno Mallamo as well as Jimmy Prato and Dominic Prato as his close knit group in Youngstown. Ultimately, Milano called the shots with the Calabrians.
interesting

aything to murgie and the romeo brothers once being with celveland to
FriendofHenry
Full Patched

Post by FriendofHenry »

Stroccos wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:33 pm
JCB1977 wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:05 pm Mallamo was closely aligned with Tony Milano. He’s stuck very close to the Calabrians. He was tight with Bazzano, Ripepi and Jimmy Tripodi from Pittsburgh but answered to Tony Milano. From the research I have been able to find, it seems like he was aligned with Pittsburgh early on and then Cleveland. By 1980, he was in semi retirement and his nephew Jimmy Prato was running the show. Mallamo had the Romeo brothers, Frank & Bruno Mallamo as well as Jimmy Prato and Dominic Prato as his close knit group in Youngstown. Ultimately, Milano called the shots with the Calabrians.
interesting

Please understand that I certainly can not speak of who Charlie may or may not have been affiliated with other than Pittsburgh.
Other than Tony Delsanter, who i know he was close to, I know of no other connection he had to Cleveland. Maybe Pat Ferruccio???
Stroccos
Full Patched

Post by Stroccos »

FriendofHenry wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:06 pm
Stroccos wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:33 pm
interesting

Please understand that I certainly can not speak of who Charlie may or may not have been affiliated with other than Pittsburgh.
Other than Tony Delsanter, who i know he was close to, I know of no other connection he had to Cleveland. Maybe Pat Ferruccio???
I went back and reread the file it didn't list murgie as a Cleveland guy just a associate of Cleveland and member of Pittsburgh , but some informants listed the romeos as members of Cleveland ,
I am would guess murgie had many connections to Cleveland
as you said delsanter and licavoli ,
when peanuts tronolone becaome boss he dealt with Murgie , Papalardo and joe loose also did in some capiticy