General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Villain
Filthy Few

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by Villain »

B. wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:01 am
How much of this element, like Sam Aiello, remained with Chicago after Capone, etc. took over the family?
Except for members around the North Side and the Chi Heights...not much involved in the leading south side and west side factions
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

I'm looking for info on the old Chicago mafia and I came across the mugshot of the Cleveland mafia summit in 1928 which featured guys from Chicago (including Guinta & Lolordo but no problem, I know them):

-Salvatore Olivero
-Giuseppe Sacco
-Frank Alo (who apparently was active in Brooklyn as well)

There's also a guy from Indiana, Paul Palazollo. Was he a Chicago man or the city of Gary have a borgata?

If anyone can tell me more about them that would be great.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

motorfab wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:34 am I'm looking for info on the old Chicago mafia and I came across the mugshot of the Cleveland mafia summit in 1928 which featured guys from Chicago (including Guinta & Lolordo but no problem, I know them):

-Salvatore Olivero
-Giuseppe Sacco
-Frank Alo (who apparently was active in Brooklyn as well)

There's also a guy from Indiana, Paul Palazollo. Was he a Chicago man or the city of Gary have a borgata?

If anyone can tell me more about them that would be great.
Interesting. The obvious comment is that Jimmy Alo had a little brother named Francesco (he would've been 20 in 1928), but I don't see any connection to Chicago.

With Giuseppe Sacco, it's a stretch, but would be good to see if this guy had any connection to Johnny Roselli (Filippo Sacco).

Antiliar has argued that Gary/Lake County, IN may have had its own early Borgata (perhaps under Paolo Palazollo?).
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

B said that Joe Sacco wasnt related to Roselli
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Villain wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:34 am B said that Joe Sacco wasnt related to Roselli
Good to know, thanks.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Frank Alo had an alias of Sam Mandell and according to Indiana papers was from Gary. Reportedly he died in Hot Springs, Arkansas, on April 22, 1944. He may be the same Frank Alo who was a bootlegger in South Bend in 1926. He was 25 at the Hotel Statler meeting, so was born around 1903.

27-year-old Joseph Sacco might be the one found in this article from the Chicago Tribune from 1927:
CT 1927Apr17 Sacco Virso Vitello Marrona Oliveretti.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Antiliar wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:08 pm Frank Alo had an alias of Sam Mandell and according to Indiana papers was from Gary. Reportedly he died in Hot Springs, Arkansas, on April 22, 1944. He may be the same Frank Alo who was a bootlegger in South Bend in 1926. He was 25 at the Hotel Statler meeting, so was born around 1903.

27-year-old Joseph Sacco might be the one found in this article from the Chicago Tribune from 1927:
What became of Joe Sacco?

Interesting info on Alo. I'd wonder if South Bend might be another suspect site for one of @B. 's early "colony" cosche. Or perhaps it was just an early outpost for Gary or the Heights. Did Alo die of natural causes or was he knocked down? If the latter, then I wonder if it had any connection to the "Cheese War" given the year.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Antiliar wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:08 pm Frank Alo had an alias of Sam Mandell and according to Indiana papers was from Gary. Reportedly he died in Hot Springs, Arkansas, on April 22, 1944. He may be the same Frank Alo who was a bootlegger in South Bend in 1926. He was 25 at the Hotel Statler meeting, so was born around 1903.

Sam Virso may very well be Sam Virrusso, brother of Santo VIrrusso. Santo had a brother named Sam that the FBI was asking Augie Maniaci about in the 1960s and Maniaci stated he didn't know his whereabouts.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

PolackTony wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:29 pm

What became of Joe Sacco?

Interesting info on Alo. I'd wonder if South Bend might be another suspect site for one of @B. 's early "colony" cosche. Or perhaps it was just an early outpost for Gary or the Heights. Did Alo die of natural causes or was he knocked down? If the latter, then I wonder if it had any connection to the "Cheese War" given the year.
Couldn't find records of any Frank Alo or Sam Mandell dead in Arkansas on that or near that date, and couldn't find any articles. The Hot Springs newspapers for 1944 haven't been uploaded to any online sites yet.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

cavita wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:57 pm

Sam Virso may very well be Sam Virrusso, brother of Santo VIrrusso. Santo had a brother named Sam that the FBI was asking Augie Maniaci about in the 1960s and Maniaci stated he didn't know his whereabouts.
Berwyn Life 1954Nov17 Sam Virruso suicide.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Antiliar wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:34 pm

Interesting. Apparently the FBI wasn't aware of his death when they were questioning Maniaci about him around 1965.
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

cavita wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:40 pm
Antiliar wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:34 pm

Interesting. Apparently the FBI wasn't aware of his death when they were questioning Maniaci about him around 1965.
More on Virrusso and his brother.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Casteldaccia is between Serradifalco and Altavilla, and is three miles away from Bagheria. If I were to guess, I would say that Santo was a member but not Sam. Sam lived in or near Cicero after Capone came to power, but he seemed legit in that time period.
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

Thanks for the info guys it's nice. Just to be clear about his status: Was Frank Alo a member of Chicago or Gary?
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

motorfab wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:16 pm Thanks for the info guys it's nice. Just to be clear about his status: Was Frank Alo a member of Chicago or Gary?
I don't think anyone has the answer. Assuming that Gary had its own borgata, it's possible that he was its last leader. Or not. We certainly don't know if he ever joined the Outfit. I didn't see his name in the Arkansas death index, so we can't even confirm his death.