The Chicago Cheese War

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Villain
Filthy Few

Re: The Chicago Cheese War

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:32 am While much remains unclear, it's also important to note again that these same individuals who seemed to be top level capos with lower ranking capos under them were identified as sitting on the Outfit's "Committee", showing again that their rank and authority was above the other capos. Presumably these top level capos were then responsible for disseminating the decisions of the admin/Committee to the crew bosses under them.

Not to make too much out of this, but I think back to Gerry DeNono's statement referencing different "families" 'in Chicago. Of course DeNono wasn't made and his actual knowledge of the organizational structure was likely limited, but it's still useful to have a glimpse into the way the Outfit was perceived internally by those on the ground level.
Again nicely said since there are too many evidences regarding the existence of these "major capos" and if you look at some reports from the late 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s, you will easily notice that there were always three or four of these guys, who in turn were between the top admin and the rest of the capos and membership
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Villain wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:35 am
Antiliar wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:20 pm I've never seen anything from after the time the FBI got serious that claim that Charlie Fischetti was ever boss of the entire Outfit. He was definitely someone of importance, but we're never told exactly what he was.
Rocco Fish was capo and was succeeded by Aiuppa, while Charlie was acting boss.

When the FBI became serious (late 50s), the Chi informants that they had at the time or later, were either low level soldiers back in the 1940s or simple associates. That one file regarding Campagna and Capezio being bosses is a great example regarding the confusion and lesser knowledge of the inner workings at the time, but still we have the sources to create at least one general picture.

Few files that I managed to find with a quick search...there are also many confirmations from the Kefauver hearings and also numerous newspaper articles...Fischetti was sending Aiuppa because Charlie was the boss. During the mid 40s Ralph began to spend his time in Wisconsin, while Aiuppa was being groomed probably by Rocco Fischetti (capo after Ralph while Charlie was acting boss) and Maddox (Aiuppas first boss who in turn brought him in the Outfit). I never lie regarding these type of stuff...

(in the last file the NY informant is probably confusing Rocco with Charles, since in 1962 Rocco was everything but retired while Charlie was already dead, although he was allegedly the one who by the late 1940s became semi retired boss, according to witnesses and investigators. Rocco was a capo but he was far from being retired at the time (1962) according to problems with Mike Coppola etc. and Rocco retired one year before his death by selling most of his interests to Les Kruse. Also, Charlie Fish was probably first generation, while Accardo was second same as their hierarchy at the time)
I'm sorry Villain, but I don't see it. First, the one source (the Miami Intelligence Unit) that said Charlie Fischetti was the "president" of the "Unione Siciliano" came from 1959, if not earlier. We know that early intelligence reports were often very wrong, and this one was no exception.
https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... %20accardo
Second, there never was an international "Unione Siciliano," "Siciliano" isn't good grammar since a masculine wouldn't follow a feminine, the organization was the Unione Siciliana - until it changed its name in 1925 to the Italo-American National Union, the IANU only operated in four states, she identifies it with the Mafia although the two were not synonyms, the Mafia never had a single "president" ruling over Italy and the United States, and Charles Fischetti was never its "vice-president."

The other documents don't even mention ranks for either Charles or Rocco.

I also can say without a doubt that Jack Cerone was never under Battaglia. Mike Mags doesn't know the history of the entire Outfit, but he does know the history of the EP crew. Cerone came after Tony Cap who came after Accardo.

More reliable later information says that Accardo was the Outfit day-to-day boss for ten years, from 1947 to 1957 (I think 1946 to 1956 is more accurate), and Charlie Fischetti was alive for about four of those years, which would seem to rule him out as Outfit boss.
https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... AND%201947
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Antiliar wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:54 am
Villain wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:35 am
Antiliar wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:20 pm I've never seen anything from after the time the FBI got serious that claim that Charlie Fischetti was ever boss of the entire Outfit. He was definitely someone of importance, but we're never told exactly what he was.
Rocco Fish was capo and was succeeded by Aiuppa, while Charlie was acting boss.

When the FBI became serious (late 50s), the Chi informants that they had at the time or later, were either low level soldiers back in the 1940s or simple associates. That one file regarding Campagna and Capezio being bosses is a great example regarding the confusion and lesser knowledge of the inner workings at the time, but still we have the sources to create at least one general picture.

Few files that I managed to find with a quick search...there are also many confirmations from the Kefauver hearings and also numerous newspaper articles...Fischetti was sending Aiuppa because Charlie was the boss. During the mid 40s Ralph began to spend his time in Wisconsin, while Aiuppa was being groomed probably by Rocco Fischetti (capo after Ralph while Charlie was acting boss) and Maddox (Aiuppas first boss who in turn brought him in the Outfit). I never lie regarding these type of stuff...

(in the last file the NY informant is probably confusing Rocco with Charles, since in 1962 Rocco was everything but retired while Charlie was already dead, although he was allegedly the one who by the late 1940s became semi retired boss, according to witnesses and investigators. Rocco was a capo but he was far from being retired at the time (1962) according to problems with Mike Coppola etc. and Rocco retired one year before his death by selling most of his interests to Les Kruse. Also, Charlie Fish was probably first generation, while Accardo was second same as their hierarchy at the time)
I'm sorry Villain, but I don't see it. First, the one source (the Miami Intelligence Unit) that said Charlie Fischetti was the "president" of the "Unione Siciliano" came from 1959, if not earlier. We know that early intelligence reports were often very wrong, and this one was no exception.
https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... %20accardo
Second, there never was an international "Unione Siciliano," "Siciliano" isn't good grammar since a masculine wouldn't follow a feminine, the organization was the Unione Siciliana - until it changed its name in 1925 to the Italo-American National Union, the IANU only operated in four states, she identifies it with the Mafia although the two were not synonyms, the Mafia never had a single "president" ruling over Italy and the United States, and Charles Fischetti was never its "vice-president."

The other documents don't even mention ranks for either Charles or Rocco.

I also can say without a doubt that Jack Cerone was never under Battaglia. Mike Mags doesn't know the history of the entire Outfit, but he does know the history of the EP crew. Cerone came after Tony Cap who came after Accardo.

More reliable later information says that Accardo was the Outfit day-to-day boss for ten years, from 1947 to 1957 (I think 1946 to 1956 is more accurate), and Charlie Fischetti was alive for about four of those years, which would seem to rule him out as Outfit boss.
https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... AND%201947
I knew it that you were going to stick to that suspicious file and thats why i placed it first, but thats ok.

Fischetti was boss from 1944 until 1946, not 1947 so that file doesnt mean anything to me except for confirming to me that Accardo took over from Fischetti. Serritella was very close to Guzik who in turn knew the whole top admin at the time, and he clearly says that Fischetti controlled all Capone activities during the mid 40s.

One rhetorical question...who do.you think controlled the Outfit from 1944 until 1946? Accardo? I dont think so since he was too busy acting as a lawyer together with Humphreys, while constantly making visits to their imprisoned bosses and bringing back messages to Chicago aka Fischetti

Also this is not about who was Cerones mentor, it is about Cerone being a capo and kicking up to Battaglia during Giancanas/Ferraros reign and after that...read the files. With all respect, everyone else sees it, except for you and i dont know why...
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

I'm just not seeing evidence that Accardo took over from Fischetti, nor that Charlie Fischetti was ever the day-to-day boss. Serritella's confession is very vague. Moreover, even then according to Serritella's statement given in 1946, Accardo was the head of the Outfit:
FBI File Su Gus Alex - Daniel Serritella info.jpg
So you're saying that Fischetti was boss for only two years, from 1944 to 1946. Why those years? Was he succeeding Dago Mangano or Frank Nitto? Why did he step down in 1946?

My opinion is that Accardo was the acting boss for Ricca etc while they were in prison, then when they were released he became the official day-to-day boss.

I wasn't referring to Accardo being Cerone's mentor, I was referring to line of succession. Cerone was never under Battaglia. Cerone and Battaglia both had crews that operated on the West Side and because they were poorly understood by law enforcement they were sometimes conflated. Battaglia was never "over" Cerone - except when Battaglia became the day-to-day boss of the Outfit. Until then they were equals. If Cerone kicked any money to Battaglia while they were both capos it was because of some arrangement they had. If Cerone had a man operating in Battaglia's territory with permission, then Cerone would kick up to him for that reason. The opposite would be true also, if Battaglia had a man operating in Cerone territory then Battaglia would kick over to Cerone.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Antiliar wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:45 am I'm just not seeing evidence that Accardo took over from Fischetti, nor that Charlie Fischetti was ever the day-to-day boss. Serritella's confession is very vague. Moreover, even then according to Serritella's statement given in 1946, Accardo was the head of the Outfit:
FBI File Su Gus Alex - Daniel Serritella info.jpg

So you're saying that Fischetti was boss for only two years, from 1944 to 1946. Why those years? Was he succeeding Dago Mangano or Frank Nitto? Why did he step down in 1946?

My opinion is that Accardo was the acting boss for Ricca etc while they were in prison, then when they were released he became the official day-to-day boss.

I wasn't referring to Accardo being Cerone's mentor, I was referring to line of succession. Cerone was never under Battaglia. Cerone and Battaglia both had crews that operated on the West Side and because they were poorly understood by law enforcement they were sometimes conflated. Battaglia was never "over" Cerone - except when Battaglia became the day-to-day boss of the Outfit. Until then they were equals. If Cerone kicked any money to Battaglia while they were both capos it was because of some arrangement they had. If Cerone had a man operating in Battaglia's territory with permission, then Cerone would kick up to him for that reason. The opposite would be true also, if Battaglia had a man operating in Cerone territory then Battaglia would kick over to Cerone.
I think i already posted that file. In 1943, all of the prime west side guys like Ricca, Campagna, Nitto, Maritote and Gioe were out of the picture (Rio died 8 years earlier), so it was up to the old Capone/Cicero crew to defend the throne. They were also the prime crew in collecting cash for the early releases of the bosses (Heeney was one of the prime bagmen and overseers of the whole op) and during that same period the Fischettis entered Lake County on the North Side.

Fischetti stepped down in 1946/47 or when the bosses came out of jail and on top of that, in 47/48 he began having serious heart issues. By the late 40s or before his death, Charlie was boss emeritus according to the gatherings he had with Accardo and Giancana.

Also do.you think that if Accardo was the boss in 1944/46, he was going to be the one acting as a lawyer and travelling out of Chicago on weekly basis so he can receive messages from his imprisoned bosses? I dont think so.

If Cerone kicked any money to Battaglia while they were both capos it was because of some arrangement they had? Ok, what about Alderisio? Or Pranno? Or maybe even Daddono? Was it all arrangement? The files clearly say that Battaglia was the top rep for the west side and all western suburbs. Same as LaPorte who in turn was boss of C Heights, C City, Will County, Blue Island and northwest Indiana and later was also their rep for all west coast matters. (Rosellis capo)

When Ferraro died, Alderisio and Daddono were simply informed that Battaglia was their new underboss and that was it. Cerone tried to make trouble but he was quickly silenced. And its not about succession, but instead its about which capo was above the rest of the capos but beneath the top admin
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Alderisio and Pranno were both members of Battaglia's crew. Daddono was another capo equal to Battaglia. When Battaglia moved up to acting day-to-day boss, Alderisio moved up to acting crew boss. The last word on promoting Battaglia to acting day-to-day boss was Ricca's, with the advice of Accardo. Battaglia was a good soldier who did what he was told even though he didn't want the job. When he went to prison Cerone was picked to replace him, but his reign was very short. After being sent to prison he learned his lesson and decided he didn't want to be the boss anymore, and when he came out he agreed to be Aiuppa's underboss.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Antiliar wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:48 pm Alderisio and Pranno were both members of Battaglia's crew. Daddono was another capo equal to Battaglia. When Battaglia moved up to acting day-to-day boss, Alderisio moved up to acting crew boss. The last word on promoting Battaglia to acting day-to-day boss was Ricca's, with the advice of Accardo. Battaglia was a good soldier who did what he was told even though he didn't want the job. When he went to prison Cerone was picked to replace him, but his reign was very short. After being sent to prison he learned his lesson and decided he didn't want to be the boss anymore, and when he came out he agreed to be Aiuppa's underboss.
Agree on everything except by 1962/63 Alderisio and Pranno were crew bosses or capos or whatever you want to call them, under Battaglia while Ferraro was still alive. When Ferraro died, Battaglia became #2 and Alderisio became the top rep for the west side. When Battaglia replaced Giancana, it was for Alderisio to take the number two spot. Everything falls in line

When Battaglia and Daddono ended up in jail, the old Giancana and MP/Grand faction began losing their influence which finally gave Cerone the chance to become the boss and he held that spot more than Battaglia or for almost 3 years and Buccieri also received the chance to move up but later his illness fucked up his plans. According to numerous sources, it seems that Buccieri was quite disappointed from Giancanas absence, while Cerone never really liked both Giancana and Battaglia and i wonder why?! (we all know why lol)
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Battaglia/Alderisio's crew late 1950s - 1964: Charles Nicoletti, Albert Frabotta, Lenny Gianola, Marshall Caifano, Sam Cesario, Sam and Mario DeStefano, Tony Spilotro, Rocco Salvatore, Joe Rocco, Nick Palermo, Joe Battaglia, Joe Mendino, Irvin Weiner, Joe Stein, Leo and Sam Rugendorf

Battaglia/Pranno's crew early 60s: Albert Pranno, Joe Amabile, Guido DeChiaro, Sam Ariola, Guy Cervone, Louis Eboli, Tony D'Antonio, Vito Nitti
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

I'm not sure that Sam Cesario was in Battaglia's crew. I'm not saying he wasn't, I'm just not sure. When an FBI asked if they were related, Battaglia really bad-mouthed him. Doesn't seem like someone would do that if he was in his crew. He lived close to Queenie Simonelli and Butch Blasi, who were both Daddono guys, so I suspect that he was with them.

I agree that Battaglia was probably underboss after Ferraro died, although I am reminded of Giancana saying, "I don't need an underboss" when Accardo was pushing for Cerone to be underboss. So I wasn't certain if Battaglia was underboss in an official capacity. EDIT: Found a doc in his file that verifies that he was promoted in October 1964.
FBI File Su Samuel Battaglia - 1964Nov3 Battaglia promoted to underboss.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Antiliar on Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

Villain wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:30 pm Battaglia/Alderisio's crew late 1950s - 1964: Charles Nicoletti, Albert Frabotta, Lenny Gianola, Marshall Caifano, Sam Cesario, Sam and Mario DeStefano, Tony Spilotro, Rocco Salvatore, Joe Rocco, Nick Palermo, Joe Battaglia, Joe Mendino, Irvin Weiner, Joe Stein, Leo and Sam Rugendorf

Battaglia/Pranno's crew early 60s: Albert Pranno, Joe Amabile, Guido DeChiaro, Sam Ariola, Guy Cervone, Louis Eboli, Tony D'Antonio, Vito Nitti
Vito Nitti any relation to Nitto
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Frank wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:30 pm
Villain wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:30 pm Battaglia/Alderisio's crew late 1950s - 1964: Charles Nicoletti, Albert Frabotta, Lenny Gianola, Marshall Caifano, Sam Cesario, Sam and Mario DeStefano, Tony Spilotro, Rocco Salvatore, Joe Rocco, Nick Palermo, Joe Battaglia, Joe Mendino, Irvin Weiner, Joe Stein, Leo and Sam Rugendorf

Vito Nitti any relation to Nitto
I'm not 100% sure. Seems like he should've been Vito James Nitti, born about 1917. At 17 years old he was sentenced to prison for an armed robbery in 1934. Later he was busted in 1963 for possessing a submachine gun, and then in 1964 for first involvement in a robbery ring and then again for a counterfeit bond scheme under Joe Spagnoli, along with Art Rachel, Tony D'Antonio and others. At various times he seems to have told the police that he was either a cousin or nephew of Frank Nitto. There were, however, a couple of Vito Nittis around Chicago of about the right age, and they seem to have been of Barese ancestry (Triggiano, Bari).
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Antiliar wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:21 pm I'm not sure that Sam Cesario was in Battaglia's crew. I'm not saying he wasn't, I'm just not sure. When an FBI asked if they were related, Battaglia really bad-mouthed him. Doesn't seem like someone would do that if he was in his crew. He lived close to Queenie Simonelli and Butch Blasi, who were both Daddono guys, so I suspect that he was with them.

I agree that Battaglia was probably underboss after Ferraro died, although I am reminded of Giancana saying, "I don't need an underboss" when Accardo was pushing for Cerone to be underboss. So I wasn't certain if Battaglia was underboss in an official capacity. EDIT: Found a doc in his file that verifies that he was promoted in October 1964.
FBI File Su Samuel Battaglia - 1964Nov3 Battaglia promoted to underboss.jpg
Thanks.

As for Cesario, didnt he have some problem with guys, which i think corresponds with Battaglia bad-mouthing him? (Im not talking about the latter problem with Alderisios girl). Also, I think that Cesario was placed around Maxwell St but i have to re-check that.

Also, what are your thoughts on Sam Nuzzo (used to be connected to the old Montana clan from MP), Frank Loverde (i think he was Rush St with Caifano), Angelo Jannotta, and Joe Battiato being in Battaglias/Alderisios crew?
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Angelo Jannotta, yes, definitely. Same for Butch Loverde. Both were part of the Battaglia/Alderisio crew, but operated in the North Side. Loverde was originally part of the North Side crew and was close to Nick DeJohn, but didn't get along with Prio so switched to the Battaglia crew.

Not enough info on Nuzzo or Battiato. I haven't seen their names come up in FBI files.
Last edited by Antiliar on Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Antiliar wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:12 pm Angelo Jannotta, yes, definitely. Same for Butch Loverde. Both were part of the Battaglia/Alderisio crew, but operated in the North Side.

Not enough info on Nuzzo or Battiato. I haven't seen their names come up in FBI files.
Thanks again and yeah i agree regarding Nuzzo and Battiato. The only two infos i have regarding Nuzzo is the one when he got arrested in the 60s? and was on Taylor St i think, and the second info is from 1930 when he was arrested with his own family including Cuono Nuzzo (possible father) and John Nuzzo (possible brother) regarding huge load of explosives i think. Others arrested were Tony and Pete Caliendo, Guy Dechiaro (Guido Dechiaro?), Tony Giannini and Tony Carla.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

If that fella "Guy Dechiaro" was in fact Guido DeChiaro, who in turn was alleged distant relative of Paul Ricca, this might be one of those evidences that the old Montana clan (MP/Taylor St) was really connected or switched sides to the Capone Mob. One of of the first infos which caught my attention regarding the early connection between Capone and the Montana clan, was the surveillance of Joe Montana greeting Capone from one of his out of town trips. The second info was Joes son, John Jr, who also had close connections to the Outfit and became a member.

It seems Ricca (possibly through Esposito) had connections to various old time Chi clans such as the Gennas, Montanas etc and no wonder he was Capones second in command