General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

funkster
Full Patched

Re: General Chicago Outfit Info Dumping Ground

Post by funkster »

Guess Rocky wasn't a fan of Maxie Raymond's?
SolarSolano
Full Patched

Post by SolarSolano »

I think its clear Chicago didn't back down to NYC whatsoever. - I often wonder if it was the other way around actually in some cases where NYC would back off Chicago. All the Fishetti's also were NY raised so they likely knew Ricci and some of these guys.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

SolarSolano wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:32 pm I think its clear Chicago didn't back down to NYC whatsoever. - I often wonder if it was the other way around actually in some cases where NYC would back off Chicago. All the Fishetti's also were NY raised so they likely knew Ricci and some of these guys.
I think the Five Families looked at Chicago as equals. Remember that Chicago was on the Commission for its entire functional existence and was trusted to have dominion over the other Midwest families and Las Vegas.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Snakes wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:35 pm
SolarSolano wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:32 pm I think its clear Chicago didn't back down to NYC whatsoever. - I often wonder if it was the other way around actually in some cases where NYC would back off Chicago. All the Fishetti's also were NY raised so they likely knew Ricci and some of these guys.
I think the Five Families looked at Chicago as equals. Remember that Chicago was on the Commission for its entire functional existence and was trusted to have dominion over the other Midwest families and Las Vegas.
Again, the statement for Joe Bonnano fits here -- "Chicagi enjoyed a quasi-independent status". Not only did NYC not give orders to Chicago, I can't imagine that they had any role or input in Chicago admin appointments (at least post-Marwnzano and Capone) or whether/who Chicago was making. In turn, Chicago had little interest or reason to involve itself in NYC and East Coast matters.
"Hey, hey, hey — this is America, baby! Survival of the fittest.”
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

PolackTony wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:11 pm
Again, the statement for Joe Bonnano fits here -- "Chicagi enjoyed a quasi-independent status". Not only did NYC not give orders to Chicago, I can't imagine that they had any role or input in Chicago admin appointments (at least post-Marwnzano and Capone) or whether/who Chicago was making. In turn, Chicago had little interest or reason to involve itself in NYC and East Coast matters.
They didn't as geographically they didn't step on each others toes. However, they still needed to work closely with them concerning shit like the Teamsters, especially the Genovese which wasn't a big deal as those families had always had a good working relationship.
Coloboy
Straightened out

Post by Coloboy »

Speaking of the commission, I always heard that in 76 when gambling was approved in Atlantic City, the agreement on The Commission was "fine...Chicago can have Vegas to themselves, but Atlantic City is now exclusively ours."

On it's head...that seems like a logical move. At the time, I'm sure it seemed like a new east coast Vegas was about to be born. Well, we all know how that turned out. Chicago got the better end of that deal. At least until 86 when it all came crashing down.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Coloboy wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:14 pm
Speaking of the commission, I always heard that in 76 when gambling was approved in Atlantic City, the agreement on The Commission was "fine...Chicago can have Vegas to themselves, but Atlantic City is now exclusively ours."

On it's head...that seems like a logical move. At the time, I'm sure it seemed like a new east coast Vegas was about to be born. Well, we all know how that turned out. Chicago got the better end of that deal. At least until 86 when it all came crashing down.
I'm not sure if that is one of those things that was repeated for so long everyone just believed it but I don't remember exactly where it came from so I'm not sure what to think.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Snakes wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:14 pm
They didn't as geographically they didn't step on each others toes. However, they still needed to work closely with them concerning shit like the Teamsters, especially the Genovese which wasn't a big deal as those families had always had a good working relationship.
Absolutely, they worked closely with NYC not only regarding national union interests, but also plenty of other rackets that involved national and international coordination such as narcotics, entertainment, jukebox territories. What I meant was that I doubt Chicago cared much who was Boss of Philly or Pittston, for example (unless and until it affected one of their interests).
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Snakes wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:25 pm

I'm not sure if that is one of those things that was repeated for so long everyone just believed it but I don't remember exactly where it came from so I'm not sure what to think.
This is a good point that you raise Snakes. Is there any evidentiary basis for this (CI, wiretap, etc)? I've always seen it repeated but don't know what the origin was for the claim.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

funkster wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:06 pm Guess Rocky wasn't a fan of Maxie Raymond's?
Lol well he obviously also wasnt a fan of the Jewish population in general by often calling them "Christ killers". I wonder regarding his attitude towards Guzik when he together with Rockys brother Charlie Fish were running the Outfit during the mid 1940s?!
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

We have examples in which Genovese guys (usually former Capone associates like Torrio and Ricci) came to Chicago as peace delegations to settle down beefs between the bosses. So it seems that the old bosses from the Genovese family like Vito or Miranda or Eboli etc. were interested in keeping the peace in Chicago obviously because they had mutual interests in various business ventures.

Also remember reading about the time period when Giancana fell in love with that famous girl and so he was ducking the feds and every possible CN member by constantly travelling around the country and the world.

So there was one meeting on which Giancana allegedly also presented the interests of the Genovese family but after that, none of the high level members of the same family were able to find Giancana anywhere so they can know what was previously discussed.Tommy Eboli and Coppola were looking for him everywhere and they even went to Chicago and asked Giancanas staff regarding the location of their boss. In the end they found him and remember reading that Coppola became quite mad at Giancana but to an extent, meaning he didnt cross the line.
Last edited by Villain on Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

@Snakes and @Polack nicely said.
PolackTony
Filthy Few

Post by PolackTony »

Villain wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:26 pm
funkster wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:06 pm Guess Rocky wasn't a fan of Maxie Raymond's?
Lol well he obviously also wasnt a fan of the Jewish population in general by often calling them "Christ killers". I wonder regarding his attitude towards Guzik when he together with Rockys brother Charlie Fish were running the Outfit during the mid 1940s?!
One doesn't want to read too much into one guy's comments of course, but it wouldn't surprise me either of even from the early days there was some degree of tension or conflict in vision between the Outfit as "our thing" vs. the Outfit as Syndicate where money was the first and last word. If I'm not mistaken some synonyms for "the Life" that one of the '60's era CIs gave for the Mafia element of the Outfit were terms like "our thing" and "our people".

I think no small part of the utility of the LCN concept for Capone and the post-1931 architects of the Outfit was the ability to provide a binding sense of identity and shared purpose (apart of course from the more immediate pragmatic benefits such as their ability to coordinate with other families via the Commission etc).
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Snakes wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:25 pm

Same opinion here, although we also have few additional important situations that occurred that sane year so it might be possible...
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

PolackTony wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:06 pm
Villain wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:26 pm
One doesn't want to read too much into one guy's comments of course, but it wouldn't surprise me either of even from the early days there was some degree of tension or conflict in vision between the Outfit as "our thing" vs. the Outfit as Syndicate where money was the first and last word. If I'm not mistaken some synonyms for "the Life" that one of the '60's era CIs gave for the Mafia element of the Outfit were terms like "our thing" and "our people".

I think no small part of the utility of the LCN concept for Capone and the post-1931 architects of the Outfit was the ability to provide a binding sense of identity and shared purpose (apart of course from the more immediate pragmatic benefits such as their ability to coordinate with other families via the Commission etc).
Theres no question that there was always some tension between the old Capone faction and the CN side of the Outfit and we have a lot of, both Italian/Sicilian and non-Italian, dead bodies between the 1930s and 40s...when young American-born Sicilians reached the boss levels, it was too late since the old Sicilian Mafia was already on the downfall, if not already exterminated and so members like Accardo simply carried on all Capone activities.

But even with that we can still see some type of rebellion portrayed by the younger American-born Sicilian generation against the old Capone faction, especially the non-Italians.

Guzik was once kidnapped and held for several days right? There are rumors that even Belcastro was once kidnapped...hence the fatal heart attack which Belcastro received that same year. The Eddie Jones organization was always on good terms with the Outfit until the younger generation came in. Labriola tried to extort one of his own faction members mainly because he was non-Italian. Giancana also harassed old members like DeChiaro

But there were still some old time and feared Capone members and non-Italian crew bosses like Ralph Capone, Claudie Maddox or Humphreys or Yaras etc. who received 100% respect from the rising younger generation until the end.

Giancana did it because of cash, others did it because of traditional means. The latter ones didnt make it, while the ones who cared only about cash prospered in their criminal careers. If you ask me, the last and half-traditional top boss was Accardo who by the mid or late 70s changed the Outfits policy regarding non-Italians to an extent. I personally dont think that Aiuppa was very happy about it since he was brought up by non-Italians, while on the other hand they still had Alex at the top until the end, who in turn wanted to get out from the organization but was never allowed and always had to check in with both Aiuppa and Accardo, same as a made guy

Regarding the Chicago/NY connection....Chicago rarely depended on NY regarding business schemes and income from the east coast. As for NY, they had many schemes around the midwest and west coast and during ghose days the most powerful crime family in those same parts of the country was the Chicago Outfit.