Gambino 1870-2014

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

chin_gigante
Full Patched

Re: Gambino 1870-2014

Post by chin_gigante »

I'd take Giordano down from the panel after 2009, so by 2010 it's just Gambino, Marino and Vernace. The only indication we have, that I know of, on the length of the panel under Cefalu and Cali is that it was at least from 2012 to 2013.
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

chin_gigante wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:47 pm I'd take Giordano down from the panel after 2009, so by 2010 it's just Gambino, Marino and Vernace. The only indication we have, that I know of, on the length of the panel under Cefalu and Cali is that it was at least from 2012 to 2013.
Ok, that leaves me with just 1994-1998. DiLeonardo's been busy so he's been kinda slow to get back to me. He already laid it out I'm just not clear on Arcuri and Graummata.
gamlin.PNG
Now, one thing I'm thinking is, I'm probably going to redo the other 4 at some point so maybe just do an ultimate Five Family NY Chart with all 5 admins, beginning to 2020. Never did the Colombos, Gens and Bonannos were done a few years ago. Thoughts?
Capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Just a random thought regarding Squitieri.... anyone remember that Ganglandnews article Capeci did after Peter Gotti was arrested and around the time the CA governor was recalled and Arnold won? "Mob Arnold Eyes Gotti Recall." It was just such a bullshit piece, if I remember it had one quote: "According to various sources: 'It's clear he (Squitieri) wants the position.'" Seriously, really? Had it not been for Squitieri having the same first name as Arnold Schwarzenegger that article would have never have been written. "Mob Arnold." And people give Scott Burnstein shit.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

DPG wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:58 pm Man thanks for posting all of these. It completely changes my thinking surrounding Alberts murder. Sounds a lot more realistic than Genovese and Gambino getting together and having him killed and is more in line with these guys claiming self defense. From what I read on those pages Gambino was just about the only guy not involved and that may have been the reason he was voted in to lead the family.
Magaddino was recorded discussing this and said that following Anastasia's murder the family was very close to splitting completely in two, with roughly half the captains in one faction reporting to "Dannarao" (probably phonetic for Tommy Rava). He says Gambino was appointed acting boss by the Commission in order to keep the family together because Gambino was already the consigliere. Later, the family voted Gambino in as official boss.

Not to muddle things up further, but there is an FBI report that cites a source who claimed Tommy Rava had been an underboss to Anastasia. Rava was definitely a top captain and I wouldn't necessarily rule out the possibility that he held an acting admin position given all of the other confusion going on in the admin circa mid-1950s, but it's not worth including in this chart based on this one offhand comment.

Salvatore Chiri's earlier Bronx home closely matches the description given by Bill Bonanno, though if I remember right the exact location is off. There is a thread buried on here somewhere where we discussed it. Chiri was residing in NJ by the time of the supposed Commission meeting, but it's possible he still owned the Bronx property. I'm of the opinion that Chiri and Chirico are the same person though it's not a slam dunk.
Lupara
Full Patched

Re: RE: Re: Gambino 1870-2014

Post by Lupara »

Eline2015 wrote:According to Carlo gambino file on MF, Scalise was demoted from underboss to consigliere somewhen in 1953, and Carlo Gambino took his place a consigliere after his death.
Could this actually considered a demotion?
Lupara
Full Patched

Post by Lupara »

Antiliar wrote:The information is conflicting. Here it says that Albert Anastasia made Scalise underboss in 1951: https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... 0underboss

Charles Chiri was either underboss or consigliere, but doesn't say exactly when: https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... 0underboss

It's also possible that the FBI confused Chiri with Toto Chirico, who lived in the Bronx according to the Bonannos. Chiri lived in New Jersey.
This is a new to me. So the FBI was already aware of the Mafia hierarchy long before Apalachin? I thought they were still considered loosely affiliated gangs and that it was only after Apalachin and due to Valachi they gained a lot of insight into the Mafia structure and activities.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Lupara wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:08 am
Antiliar wrote:The information is conflicting. Here it says that Albert Anastasia made Scalise underboss in 1951: https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... 0underboss

Charles Chiri was either underboss or consigliere, but doesn't say exactly when: https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... 0underboss

It's also possible that the FBI confused Chiri with Toto Chirico, who lived in the Bronx according to the Bonannos. Chiri lived in New Jersey.
This is a new to me. So the FBI was already aware of the Mafia hierarchy long before Apalachin? I thought they were still considered loosely affiliated gangs and that it was only after Apalachin and due to Valachi they gained a lot of insight into the Mafia structure and activities.
No, the links I posted were all AFTER Apalachin. The FBI learned the details of the Mafia hierarchy after Apalachin, especially after 1963 thanks to info from Valachi and Gentile. Those details included information covering the time period before 1963.
TommyGambino
Full Patched

Post by TommyGambino »

Never heard of Cali being acting underboss
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Antiliar wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:29 am
Chris Christie wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:51 am Salvatore Chiri and Salvatore Chirico are two different people? I never really looked into it.

Other than that...
Gambinolineagetest.PNG
According to the 1940 census Chiri lived in Fort Lee, New Jersey. Bonanno makes it clear that Chirico lived in Bronx in the 1950s when Anastasia was boss. Also, Nick Gentile, Joe Bonanno and Bill Bonanno all have this person's name spelled "Chirico" or "Chiricho."

However, since I try to give both sides and be fair, there *IS* evidence for the argument that they are the same person. Salvatore Chiri immigrated under the name Salvatore Chirico, but by World War I he was using the surname Chiri and seems to have used it consistently since then. So every record for him since 1917 has Chiri. He also lived in Bronx in the early 1930s, but then as I wrote he moved to New Jersey and remained there until he died.
Update on this one. I found Salvatore Chiri in the Palermo Birth Index. He was born Salvatore Chiri (NOT Chirico) in Sferracavallo, Palermo, to Giovanni Chiri and Rosalia Cataldo in 1888. Still, he was probably the same as Chirico since he was an underboss during the Anastasia administration and there's no one else who had a similar name.
TSNYC
Straightened out

Post by TSNYC »

chin_gigante wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:36 pm Speaking of conflicting information, here's what Bill Bonanno says in The Last Testament about Anastasia's administration.

On Salvatore Chiri/ Chirico/ Chiricho:
"In the 1950s, if you wanted to get a message to Albert Anastasia, you would go to the Red Devil restaurant. Albert would be sitting at the back table almost every day with his sotto capo, Tata Chiricho, or perhaps with group leader Tommy Rava."

Bonanno also said that this Tata Chiricho hosted a Commission meeting at his home in the Bronx in November 1951, after Anastasia had taken over from Mangano.

However, Bonanno also writes that by Frank Scalise was Anastasia's "second-in-command" when he attended a Commission meeting in 1953 about an alleged conspiracy from Tommy Luchese to kill Anastasia. About this conspiracy, Bonanno writes that Luchese wanted Anastasia gone to "open the door for Carlo Gambino, Anastasia's consigliere, to become leader of the Anastasia family". I don't know however whether that can be taken to mean that Gambino was consigliere as early as 1953.

Bonanno describes a meeting held in November 1957 at the home of Ruggiero Boiardo to settle the aftermath of the Anastasia murder. Bonanno says at that point that Gambino was the consigliere and Nino Conti was the underboss. Bonanno also said that Conti had succeeded Frank Scalise as Anastasia's underboss. Conti approved the Commission's appointing of a new boss.
any idea where that restaurant was?
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

TSNYC wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:50 pm
chin_gigante wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:36 pm Speaking of conflicting information, here's what Bill Bonanno says in The Last Testament about Anastasia's administration.

On Salvatore Chiri/ Chirico/ Chiricho:
"In the 1950s, if you wanted to get a message to Albert Anastasia, you would go to the Red Devil restaurant. Albert would be sitting at the back table almost every day with his sotto capo, Tata Chiricho, or perhaps with group leader Tommy Rava."

Bonanno also said that this Tata Chiricho hosted a Commission meeting at his home in the Bronx in November 1951, after Anastasia had taken over from Mangano.

However, Bonanno also writes that by Frank Scalise was Anastasia's "second-in-command" when he attended a Commission meeting in 1953 about an alleged conspiracy from Tommy Luchese to kill Anastasia. About this conspiracy, Bonanno writes that Luchese wanted Anastasia gone to "open the door for Carlo Gambino, Anastasia's consigliere, to become leader of the Anastasia family". I don't know however whether that can be taken to mean that Gambino was consigliere as early as 1953.

Bonanno describes a meeting held in November 1957 at the home of Ruggiero Boiardo to settle the aftermath of the Anastasia murder. Bonanno says at that point that Gambino was the consigliere and Nino Conti was the underboss. Bonanno also said that Conti had succeeded Frank Scalise as Anastasia's underboss. Conti approved the Commission's appointing of a new boss.
any idea where that restaurant was?
111 West 48th Street in Manhattan
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-vinta ... d0%26pl%3d
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Antiliar wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:43 pm
Update on this one. I found Salvatore Chiri in the Palermo Birth Index. He was born Salvatore Chiri (NOT Chirico) in Sferracavallo, Palermo, to Giovanni Chiri and Rosalia Cataldo in 1888. Still, he was probably the same as Chirico since he was an underboss during the Anastasia administration and there's no one else who had a similar name.
It's interesting that according to his WWI draft card he worked for Erasmo Riccobono, who lived and operated a grocery at 512 E 14th Street in New York. Erasmo Riccobono was from Capaci and the son of Erasmo Riccobono and Maria Giammona. Later, he and his wife moved to San Jose, California. Giuseppe "Staten Island Joe" Riccobono lived nearby at 426 E 13th Street with his father Giovanni, mother Rosalia D'Aleo and family. This set of Riccobonos came from Sferracavallo. When Giovanni (John) went to prison for murder, Rosalia went to Hoboken to live her daughter in law, who married Salvatore Vassallo.

This is a family tree that connects Saverio Virzi to the Riccobonos from Sferracavallo:

(1) Francesco Virzi
+ Anna Vitale
(2) Biagio Virzi
+ Rosa Lo Cicero
(m 3 Oct 1822, Mondello, Palermo)
(3) Gaetano Virzi
+ Pietra Pensabene [dau of Mariano Pensabene & Antonina Crocalici]
(m 23 Apr 1855, Sferracavallo)
(4) Saverio Virzi
+ Caterina/Catalina Randazzo
(m 5 Jan 1883, Tommaso Natale/Sferracavallo)
(4) Andrea Virzi (b 1864)
+ Arcangela Lo Cicero [dau of Lorenzo Lo Cicero & Antonia Pensabene]
(5 Mar 1893, Sferracavallo/Tommaso Natale)
(3) Marianna Virzi
+ Salvatore Riccobono
(m 10 Nov 1850)
(4) Giovanni Riccobono
+ Rosalia D’Aleo
(m 3 Oct 1875, Sferracavallo)
(5) Joseph Riccobono (b1894)

(2) Giovanni Riccobono
+ Anna Liga
(3) Provvidenza Riccobono
+ Salvatore Scalise
(m 14 Apr 1854, Sferracavallo)
(4) Giacomo Scalise
+ Giovanna Caviglia
(m 21 May 1885, Zisa)
(5) Frank Scalise
(3) Salvatore Riccobono
+ Marianna Virzi
(m 10 Nov 1850)
(4) Giovanni Riccobono
+ Rosalia D’Aleo
(m 3 Oct 1875, Sferracavallo)
(5) Joseph Riccobono (b1894)
(3) Antonino Riccobono
+Giuseppa Virzi
(m 10 Jun 1855, Sferracavallo)
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

They were related to the Vassallo and Cusenza families previously mentioned:

Re: Biaggio Bonventre (Los Angeles / San Diego soldier)
Post by lennert » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:18 am

B., great stuff as always! As for the Vassallos, I never looked into the fellow arrested in Detroit, but if Antiliar says he was from Terrassini, and I trust his research blindly, he was indeed a different person than the Monterey Vassallo, as he was from Palermo, born to Francesco and Pietrina LoCicero. Also, according to his FBI file, Vassallo lived in NY untill 1933, and then went to California. He was close to Bonanno, which might explain his friendship with Guastella, as well as them both ending up in Monterey. According to the FBI, Vassallo (the Monterey guy) was never arrested.

As for the Cusenzas (Joe indeed died in a car crash near Ceres, CA) and Misuracas, the were even related through marriage, via the Giammona family. The patriarch of the Giammonas, Ciro, was said to have been a leading figure in (according to FBI records) in St. Louis, before ending up in California. I can’t remember exactly, but I seem to remember Sam Misuraca’s death was accidental... Would need to look up the details to be sure though...

As for the two Misuraca brothers held in Detroit in the Warner case, it were John and Joe. Joe ended up in Northern California also...
viewtopic.php?p=168791#p168791
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Vincenzo Lo Cicero, previously discussed, was id'd as the capodecina who received a letter about Nick Gentile's arrival. There were several Vincenzo Lo Ciceros in New York at the time, but based on his rank and the use of the honorific title Don, I think it's safe to assume he was older than Gentile. Gentile was born in 1885, so that rules out one or two Vincenzo Lo Ciceros. It's also suggestive that this Lo Cicero was associated with Agrigento since Gentile was from there. This fits the Vincenzo Lo Cicero who operated a saloon on East 80th Street in 1920. He was born in Calamonaci, Agrigento, on November 11, 1865. His father, Felice Lo Cicero, was born on April 18, 1831, in Alessandria della Rocca. Felice's wife, Vincenza Provenzano, was born on Jan 8, 1842, in Calamonaci. So it may that the Florida/Alessandria della Rocca connections came from Vincenzo Lo Cicero's father.

B provided more biographical information and Agrigento connections here:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5789&p=138537&hili ... ro#p138537
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Antiliar wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:06 am Vincenzo Lo Cicero, previously discussed, was id'd as the capodecina who received a letter about Nick Gentile's arrival. There were several Vincenzo Lo Ciceros in New York at the time, but based on his rank and the use of the honorific title Don, I think it's safe to assume he was older than Gentile. Gentile was born in 1885, so that rules out one or two Vincenzo Lo Ciceros. It's also suggestive that this Lo Cicero was associated with Agrigento since Gentile was from there. This fits the Vincenzo Lo Cicero who operated a saloon on East 80th Street in 1920. He was born in Calamonaci, Agrigento, on November 11, 1865. His father, Felice Lo Cicero, was born on April 18, 1831, in Alessandria della Rocca. Felice's wife, Vincenza Provenzano, was born on Jan 8, 1842, in Calamonaci. So it may that the Florida/Alessandria della Rocca connections came from Vincenzo Lo Cicero's father.

B provided more biographical information and Agrigento connections here:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5789&p=138537&hili ... ro#p138537
That fits because that Vincenzo had a brother named Filippo Lo Cicero born 1862/5/4 in Colamonaci, in 1910 he lived at 111 Roebling and in 1920 at 720 2nd Ave (which has an interection o f E39th) in the city. In 1912, D'Aquila hosted an important meeting at a Filippo Lo Cicero's house on E39th. His position is never specified but the "Lo Cicero's of E39th" came up multiple times before and after March 1912 which is when Lupo's tenure officially ended and D'Aquila's began. In 1910 LoCiciero lived at 111 Roebling in BK (Bonanno territory) and in 1900 was back in the city at 726 Amsterdam Ave.

Vincenzo died in 1923, he had a son named Phil (1912-1999) who married a Julia Montalbano de Antonio Montalbano who came from Caltabellotta, Agrigento. Phil and Julia witnessed Joseph Arcuri's marriage to Harriet Martin in 1940:

Joe's father Domenico "Mike" Arcuri was Santo Trafficante's Godfather and as per Michael DiLeonardo, Trafficante in tern was Joseph Arcuri's Godfather.

This Sciaccatani faction is a mysterious one, no other word to describe it. They could have, should have, been their own Family. And this is only the NYC contingent we have along with DiMino, Attardi and a few other names, there was a strong Sciaccatan Brooklyn faction that we've yet to cast a light on.

Regarding your earlier post on the Riccobonos, I'd say that it's safe to say that every crew that came out of that faction shares a lineage that can be traced back to Virzi, who also popped up under Lupo and D'Aquila.