Soprano’s ‘Death Scene’

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Raven
Straightened out

Re: Soprano’s ‘Death Scene’

Post by Raven »

Mikeymike12 wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:39 pm If so who’s the shooter ? The guys that goes to the bathroom?
Yes. That’s who I think it was.
Brian the brain
Associate

Post by Brian the brain »

Tony was not killed, the scene was meant to show that in that life you always have to be on guard, looking over your shoulder, have eyes in the back of your head. However you want to explain it but I never thought Tony was killed, especially since he was sitting with his family.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

I never heard that Chase called the end the death scene. I thought the ending was designed that way for more than one reason. First reason was if a movie or new episodes were ever going to happen at a future date. Second was it left it to the viewer to come to their own conclusion. Which in my opinion was lame and left a bad taste. I believe Chase even said it was up to the viewer to make their own opinion. Now with Gandolfini dead he comes out with this shit.
Grouchy Sinatra
Full Patched

Post by Grouchy Sinatra »

I think Georgie killed him
Glick told author Nicholas Pileggi that he expected to meet a banker-type individual, but instead, he found Alvin Baron to be a gruff, tough-talking cigar-chomping Teamster who greeted him with, “What the fuck do you want?”
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

The thing is...
The war was settled... His top guys were gone and Carlo was gonna flip so he really wasn't much a threat anymore... So idk the REASON he was killed... But it was deff built up so seeing the hitmen... The black guys.... Etc etc. Then w him actually dieing, safe to say he got killed.

(Who was Carlo again? Pat parisi kid??)

Also CC stated there was only 2 crews left by the end. Was one Pat crew now that Tony daughter n his son was getting married?? And the other paully??

And what about Chris and the gay guy crews??
HANG IT UP NICKY. ITS TIME TO GO HOME.
SantoClaus
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by SantoClaus »

What if Tony was killed as a preventative step, in case he would rat 🐀 as well?

Using the logic, that he would of been arrested with Carlo’s testimony. From there, maybe would of cooperated.
“To know and not to do, is not to know”
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

SantoClaus wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:42 am What if Tony was killed as a preventative step, in case he would rat 🐀 as well?

Using the logic, that he would of been arrested with Carlo’s testimony. From there, maybe would of cooperated.
Can u remind me who Carlos was??

I wish they would of had someone in the inner circle flip like what would have probably really happened in real life.
SantoClaus
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by SantoClaus »

JeremyTheJew wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:31 am
SantoClaus wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:42 am What if Tony was killed as a preventative step, in case he would rat 🐀 as well?

Can u remind me who Carlos was??

I wish they would of had someone in the inner circle flip like what would have probably really happened in real life.
Carlo was the guy that stabbed ‘Fat Dom’ from Jersey with Silvio. It happened in the back of Satriale’s. They killed him because he was making fun of Vito, for being gay.
SantoClaus
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by SantoClaus »

I believe Carlo’s son was one the kids that became boys with AJ, after Blanca duped him. I think he got popped selling E, and that’s why Carlo chose to cooperate.

No sure 100%
Slumpy
Straightened out

Post by Slumpy »

When the interview first came out (over a year ago, I don't know why they're writing articles about it now) the interviewers did an AMA and ask them to clarify on the out of context quotes about the "death scene" Chase mentioned.

This is what they said
MZS: Yeah. We've also reconciled ourselves to the fact that "Tony dies" truthers are only going to quote the parts of the interview that bolster their POV and ignore everything else. My own take on it (in summary) is that Chase deliberately moved away from "they killed him" early in the process. The "Death scene" he mentioned wasn't Holsten's, but another idea he subsequently abandoned, with Tony driving through the Lincoln Tunnel to meet with Johnny Sack and the scene fading to black or white).

That being said, the fact that he originally thought of a more straightforward death scene, and had spent a lifetime of watching films where the gangster hero gets killed at the end, might've subsconciously colored the way that scene was executed (no pun intended).

Alan and I pressed Chase with some very literal minded follow up question, to make sure we hadn't misinterpreted him, and he reiterated that he moved from "maybe he died but you're not totally sure" to something more amorphous, that people were supposed to grapple with and interpret on their own. But he also allowed that it might still feel like they killed him because he grew up on James Cagney films where they whack the guy in the last scene.

Also, Chase has made it clear that he doesn't think it's wrong to speculate that Tony died. He's just adamant that this is not the only thing that the scene is about, and it bugs him that it continues to crowd out everything else, because it's not supposed to be a puzzle. His film NOT FADE AWAY has an ending that's kind of similar -- we're not supposed to take it literally and try to solve it -- and BLOW-UP, which the main characters watch in NOT FADE AWAY, also has that kind of ending, and is one of Chase's favorite films.
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/ ... ll_and_we/

I'm definitely in the "Tony was murdered" camp, IMO, it was Butch that gave the order and for two reasons:

1. The indictment coming down on Tony.

It seems common knowledge that Tony has an indictment coming down, one that will be difficult to beat. Tony is the only one who can connect Butch to the Leotardo hit, and he probably doesn't want to leave it to chance that Tony won't flip. IMO, Tony is the white whale for the Feds. He's a big fish in a small pond, but one that rubs elbows with all the bigger fish in bigger ponds. He could do serious damage to the Lupertazzi organization and possibly other NYC outfits as well.

2. Revenge & Saving Face

Tony was hit in front of his family in revenge for Phil being murdered in front of his wife and grand child. Butch probably also felt compelled to "save face" in the wake of their boss being murdered by the "glorified crew" in Jersey. As they new boss Butch doesn't want to be seen as weak, to having lost to a weaker family.

I don't think anyone from jersey was involved, and I don't think they'd have to be. After Butch played possum and lead Tony to believe the beef was squashed all he had to do was wait for Tony to come out of hiding.

But I also just believe Chase when he says the ending is intentionally ambiguous and that there is more than one way to interpret the ending. I don't think he'd play coy all these years if that was not his intent from the start,
SonnyBlackstein
Filthy Few

Post by SonnyBlackstein »

I’ve always thought the same.

Butch had Tony clipped. It seemed odd that Butch would give up his boss in a war with another family. One that they were clearly winning. The phone conversation with Phil is prescient I think beforehand. Phil tells Butch that when it’s all over they’re going to have a sit down, how disappointed Phil was.

Butch likely feared for his life and/or had designs on the big seat himself.

He couldn’t have been seen to give up his boss or let his killing go un-avenged.

Hence, all points to Tony getting clipped, by Butch. IMO.
Don't give me your f***ing Manson lamps.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

My belief will always be that Tony mentally decided to flip in the diner and in that way the "cut to black" was the end of the Tony Soprano we all know.

The Kevin Finnerty dream sequence where he's holding the Valachi Papers, the whole premise of the show being about how the life wasn't as honorable as it was when his father was alive, Uncle Junior not remembering the mafia the last time Tony sees him (i.e. it was all for nothing). His buddy Johnny Sack is dead and NYC is going to be a constant threat. Silvio was out of commission, Christopher was dead, he lost faith in Paulie and almost killed him on a boat. Tony liked the money and power, but over the course of the show it's clear that Tony's favorite part of the mafia was hanging with his closest buddies shooting the shit. By the last episode that's over. The scene where Tony's at the vacation house surrounded by bodyguards is depressing.

In the diner he tells his wife that one of his captains is cooperating, so he has prison on his mind to start the whole scene off. The tension and build-up of the diner sequence is Tony's internal dilemma and in the end it shows Tony exactly what matters to him -- his wife and kids. How does he keep them? He flips and "Tony Soprano" as we know him is no more.

Just my interpretation. My biggest complaint is Christopher's death. I would have had Christopher flip first, as it always seemed like a possibility with the drug use, Hollywood fantasies, Adriana murder, etc. I would have closed the show with Tony deciding whether or not to cooperate knowing that Christopher would put him away for life.
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

B. wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:53 am My belief will always be that Tony mentally decided to flip in the diner and in that way the "cut to black" was the end of the Tony Soprano we all know.

The Kevin Finnerty dream sequence where he's holding the Valachi Papers, the whole premise of the show being about how the life wasn't as honorable as it was when his father was alive, Uncle Junior not remembering the mafia the last time Tony sees him (i.e. it was all for nothing). His buddy Johnny Sack is dead and NYC is going to be a constant threat. Silvio was out of commission, Christopher was dead, he lost faith in Paulie and almost killed him on a boat. Tony liked the money and power, but over the course of the show it's clear that Tony's favorite part of the mafia was hanging with his closest buddies shooting the shit. By the last episode that's over. The scene where Tony's at the vacation house surrounded by bodyguards is depressing.

In the diner he tells his wife that one of his captains is cooperating, so he has prison on his mind to start the whole scene off. The tension and build-up of the diner sequence is Tony's internal dilemma and in the end it shows Tony exactly what matters to him -- his wife and kids. How does he keep them? He flips and "Tony Soprano" as we know him is no more.

Just my interpretation. My biggest complaint is Christopher's death. I would have had Christopher flip first, as it always seemed like a possibility with the drug use, Hollywood fantasies, Adriana murder, etc. I would have closed the show with Tony deciding whether or not to cooperate knowing that Christopher would put him away for life.
If I wasn't set on my belief of him being killed (and the added help of chase saying death scene) .... I would change my mind and say ur right.

Especially w him telling Chris to give up info to the feds....

Really no one flipped on sopranos. The one capo did who died at the FBI office.... But other then that.... Who else did??

You didn't see any of the main characters get sent away for life or flip.... That was one disappointment for me.

It should of deff been Chris.
With his life story movie following up...

Anyways-
What's the news on "saints of Newark"? R they done filming??
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Lots of guys flipped on the show. Carlo Gervasi, Ray, Curto, Larry Barese, all Capos. Plus Big Pussy Bompensiero and Gene Pontecorvo(sp) who were Soldiers. Possibly Capo Jimmy Altieri as well. They also had a Lupprotozzi Capo flipped in the 5th season (forgot his name).

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Amershire_Ed
Full Patched

Post by Amershire_Ed »

B. wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:53 am My belief will always be that Tony mentally decided to flip in the diner and in that way the "cut to black" was the end of the Tony Soprano we all know.

I totally agree about Christopher’s death. I wasn’t a fan with how that happened.

I was also under the impression, as the show was going along and getting up there in it’s later seasons, that the ultimate dilemma for Tony would be cooperating or spending the rest of his life in jail. I guess I knew he could also be killed, but I thought the ultimate way for the story to end would be for Tony to be faced to make that decision.