Gambino 1870-2014

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

DPG
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: Gambino 1870-2014

Post by DPG »

chin_gigante wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:50 pm img_127672_84_300.png

img_127672_85_300.png
Man thanks for posting all of these. It completely changes my thinking surrounding Alberts murder. Sounds a lot more realistic than Genovese and Gambino getting together and having him killed and is more in line with these guys claiming self defense. From what I read on those pages Gambino was just about the only guy not involved and that may have been the reason he was voted in to lead the family.
I get it....first rule of fight club.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

chin_gigante wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:05 am Wouldn't necessarily even go as far as to call it a discrepancy but it might be useful to show him it for timeline purposes. Find out if Ciccone's legal issues had any impact on him replacing Failla or how long he ultimately spent on the committee. Clear up some of that 1994 to 1998 period.

On a side not it feels pretty surreal to be coming up with a Gambino chart with help from a former captain
I sent it over to him, still waiting to hear back from him. I can come back to 94-98. Following that, are there any discrepancies from 98 to 2020? Obviously Cefalu never replaced Pete officially.

Yeah, brave new world. He's got an interest in the history, that's what he and I mostly converse about. I don't feel completely comfortable asking him about his own story because I imagine it's a form of limbo. I can tell he "loved the life" and wishes things didn't turn out the way they did but that he feels justified in the decisions he made. Leonetti's the same way, Caramandi stated to George A that he misses his glory days of the 80's, Kenji Gallo described it to me as heaving a platinum credit card he charged everything to his entire life until one day it was declined... I imagine DiLeonardo is fine going into what he already revealed but I don't think he wants to ruffle any feathers either. If he started a podcast discussing current members like Mannino it would probably become an issue... So the history shit is a safe zone. Although he called Cali's murder being a personal beef a day after it happened while the New York Times did an entire piece on Gene Gotti being the suspect while the press was camped outside his house.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Is there any relation between that old time Esposito (imprisoned 1879) and Diamond Joe (born 1872)?
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Villain wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:03 am Is there any relation between that old time Esposito (1879) and Diamond Joe?
None. Esposito, Russo and Chiaramonte were Sicilians with ties to New Orleans. Esposito is a common in Naples because parentless children were given that surname but its in Sicily too, especially Palermo province.

In the original chart I had a brainfart and listed Michele Cancemi, should have been Chiaramonte.

There were early Chicago/New York connections such as Morello's cousin Lo Bue likely being affiliated with Chicago or Clemente transferring from Chicago back to New York in 1911. I'd say Chicago and New York always had the relationship they had, going back to the 1900's. Both cities had influence and connections throughout the country, but it wasn't always Mafia related, chain migration and family/friend affiliations were the tracks Italians and the smaller mafia element ran on.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Chris Christie wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:09 am
Villain wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:03 am Is there any relation between that old time Esposito (1879) and Diamond Joe?
None. Esposito, Russo and Chiaramonte were Sicilians with ties to New Orleans. Esposito is a common in Naples because parentless children were given that surname but its in Sicily too, especially Palermo province.

In the original chart I had a brainfart and listed Michele Cancemi, should have been Chiaramonte.
Thanks 8-)
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Eline2015
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Eline2015 »

Valachi say that Jimmy LePore probably was a underboss when Scalise became a boss in 1931
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

I had him as well as a Salvatore Chirico as possible underbosses in 1931. Is this an error? Was Chirico suspected of being Underboss in 1931 and again in 1951?
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Chris Christie wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:20 am I had him as well as a Salvatore Chirico as possible underbosses in 1931. Is this an error? Was Chirico suspected of being Underboss in 1931 and again in 1951?
I'm not aware of Chirico being an underboss in 1931. Anastasia was Mangano's underboss. James Le Pore, I believe, was Scalise's underboss.
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

For the 1998-2002 era, I'd have Grammauta as acting underboss from 2000-2002 (rather than 1999-2002) based on a Gang Land from October 2001 that said the feds started carrying Grammauta as acting underboss 'last year' - unless, of course, DiLeonardo says anything that makes you think otherwise.

On when Peter Gotti went from acting boss to official boss where does the 2001 date come from? I did a bit of digging and couldn't find a clear year for when he took over. When he was indicted on 04 June 2002, he was listed as the acting boss and there's a Gang Land from November 2002 where Capeci writes that Peter took over the family when John died. However, I did manage to find a document from 10 June 2002 (the same day Gotti Sr died) that could support the idea of Peter becoming official boss shortly before his brother's death. There is some information in there that is clearly wrong based on what we know, so I'll provide this larger quote for context:
The government alleges that defendant Peter Gotti, brother of former Boss, John Gotti, is now the Acting Boss, if not the actual Boss, of the Gambino family […]
Agent Hagarty testified that John Gotti, brother of the defendant Peter Gotti, was the Boss of the Gambino family until his conviction in 1992 on various RICO charges. John Gotti’s son, John A. Gotti (commonly referred to as “John Gotti, Jr.”), then became boss of the family until his arrest and conviction in 1999. According to various confidential sources and cooperating witnesses, corroborated by wiretaps and other information, Peter Gotti has long been a made member and Captain of the Gambino crime family, who participated in an oversight committee formed in 1994 to assist John Gotti, Jr. in running the operations of the family. The government asserts that it will present the testimony of four cooperating witnesses, including former members of organized crime, who will testify that since 1999, Peter Gotti has been “Acting Boss” of the family, and most recently, the FBI has obtained information that he may now have declared himself to be “the Boss” of the Gambino family.
https://www.casemine.com/judgement/us/5 ... 4934417d74

Obviously, a lot of that is clearly wrong. We know Gotti Sr remained the boss after his conviction, we know Gotti Jr was never officially acting boss (though he was in a de facto sense), we know that the committee was formed in 1991, and we know that Peter Gotti became acting boss in 1998 rather than 1999. Does anyone have anything else suggesting Peter became the official boss before his brother's death?
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Rick / Eline- Thank you for clearing that up. I don't know where I got Chirico as a 1931 possibility.

Chin- I'm still not clear on Grammauta and Arcuri. DiLeonardo stated "Ciccone on the panel for a little bit, then Grammauta for a bit, then Arcuri gets the acting consig, then Pete takes him off saying he is going "senile." Dileonardo believes: "Arcuri wanted no part of it.. I think he played forgetful."

In 1999-2002 I have Grammauta as Acting Under for Squitieri who I have holding the official position until 2012. Is that all accurate?

Regarding when Peter Gotti became Boss, I can ask DiLeonardo. I sent him several emails over the past week I'll allow him to catch up before asking more questions.

This is really at the opposite end of my expertise, I feel like Nick Caramandi if he had to go find a place in North Philly when he's never been north of Franklin Square.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

So 2011 to 2013

B- PG
AB - Cefalu
U - Cali
C - Vernace until 2013

2013-2019

B-PG
AB- Cefalu
U - Cali
C - Mannino

2019-Present
B- PG
AB - Cefalu
U - Mannino
C - Paradiso

Am I right? Please let me know if I'm correct on who was official and who was acting. Was Mannino acting from 2013 until Vernace's death in 2017?
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

I would be very hesitant to put Mannino on the chart as anything other than an administrative captain.

What I have:

2011-2012

Gotti (Boss) IP
Cefalu (Acting)
Vernace (Consig) IP

Cali wasn't promoted to underboss until 2012. Squitieri was described as 'done' in the Stefanelli tapes in 2010 so it's possible the position was vacant.

2012-2013

Gotti (Boss) IP
Cefalu (Acting)
Cali (Under)
Vernace (Consig) IP
Gambino/ Gurino/ Juliano (Panel)

2013-2019

Gotti (Boss) IP
Cefalu (Acting)
Cali (Under)
Vernace (Consig) [died IP 2017]

It's possible that Vernace remained consigliere until he died. I haven't seen anything to suggest he was replaced and no-one else has been identified as holding that position. LE identified Mannino as a captain.

Capeci hasn't reported on the panel since 2013 and made no mention of it when Gambino died in 2017. When Gurino died, Capeci wrote that he had been on the panel in 2012 and 2013, which could suggest that's only when the panel existed for. [I know you said you were going to exclude this, however, unless the nature of the 'rotating panel' became more clear].

2019-Present

Gotti (Boss) IP [possibly removed]
Cefalu (Acting)
Paradiso (Consig)
Mannino (Captain) [running the family with Cefalu and Paradiso]
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

chin_gigante wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:19 pm I would be very hesitant to put Mannino on the chart as anything other than an administrative captain.

What I have:

2011-2012

Gotti (Boss) IP
Cefalu (Acting)
Vernace (Consig) IP

Cali wasn't promoted to underboss until 2012. Squitieri was described as 'done' in the Stefanelli tapes in 2010 so it's possible the position was vacant.

2012-2013

Gotti (Boss) IP
Cefalu (Acting)
Cali (Under)
Vernace (Consig) IP
Gambino/ Gurino/ Juliano (Panel)

2013-2019

Gotti (Boss) IP
Cefalu (Acting)
Cali (Under)
Vernace (Consig) [died IP 2017]

It's possible that Vernace remained consigliere until he died. I haven't seen anything to suggest he was replaced and no-one else has been identified as holding that position. LE identified Mannino as a captain.

Capeci hasn't reported on the panel since 2013 and made no mention of it when Gambino died in 2017. When Gurino died, Capeci wrote that he had been on the panel in 2012 and 2013, which could suggest that's only when the panel existed for. [I know you said you were going to exclude this, however, unless the nature of the 'rotating panel' became more clear].

2019-Present

Gotti (Boss) IP [possibly removed]
Cefalu (Acting)
Paradiso (Consig)
Mannino (Captain) [running the family with Cefalu and Paradiso]
Thank you.

I was confused, I was of the belief that a panel of capos existed underneath the administration for a time, which would be too cumbersome to include. If however, this Panel was the top power from 2012-2013 then we'll include it. In fact I already have.

For 2008-2011 I have J Gambino, D Marino, J Giordano and B Vernace... How does Gurino fit in?

Where is all this stuff coming from that Mannino was consigliere before replacing Cali?
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

For the 2008-2011 panel I have Giordano identified as being on it in 2009 (though this information came out later when he was arrested) and by 2010 it was the triumvirate of Gambino, Marino and Vernace. Marino is arrested in 2010 but he is still considered by LE to be a member of the panel despite his incarceration. Then in early 2011 Vernace is arrested and identified as the consigliere. Then Cefalu is elevated to acting boss and in 2012 he makes Cali underboss. Then in 2013, Capeci reports that Cefalu and Cali have been using the rotating panel of Gambino, Anthony Gurino and Joseph Juliano to insulate themselves from the street.

If I'm remembering correctly the Mannino as consigliere stuff was just forum talk
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

chin_gigante wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:28 am For the 2008-2011 panel I have Giordano identified as being on it in 2009 (though this information came out later when he was arrested) and by 2010 it was the triumvirate of Gambino, Marino and Vernace. Marino is arrested in 2010 but he is still considered by LE to be a member of the panel despite his incarceration. Then in early 2011 Vernace is arrested and identified as the consigliere. Then Cefalu is elevated to acting boss and in 2012 he makes Cali underboss. Then in 2013, Capeci reports that Cefalu and Cali have been using the rotating panel of Gambino, Anthony Gurino and Joseph Juliano to insulate themselves from the street.

If I'm remembering correctly the Mannino as consigliere stuff was just forum talk
How long did the 2013 panel last for? I'm hesitant to list it all out because if the AB and U are on the street, that's enough. If we go into panels that assist the admin we'd have to do that for Massino's panel he had most of the time he also had an Under and Consig. Granted that panel circumvented Vitale.
gamtest.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.