Gambino 1870-2014

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Antiliar
Full Patched

Re: Gambino 1870-2014

Post by Antiliar »

Chris Christie wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:51 am Salvatore Chiri and Salvatore Chirico are two different people? I never really looked into it.

Other than that...
Gambinolineagetest.PNG
According to the 1940 census Chiri lived in Fort Lee, New Jersey. Bonanno makes it clear that Chirico lived in Bronx in the 1950s when Anastasia was boss. Also, Nick Gentile, Joe Bonanno and Bill Bonanno all have this person's name spelled "Chirico" or "Chiricho."

However, since I try to give both sides and be fair, there *IS* evidence for the argument that they are the same person. Salvatore Chiri immigrated under the name Salvatore Chirico, but by World War I he was using the surname Chiri and seems to have used it consistently since then. So every record for him since 1917 has Chiri. He also lived in Bronx in the early 1930s, but then as I wrote he moved to New Jersey and remained there until he died.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

So Conte dies in 1958. Who replaced him as Underboss? I had Sal Chiri in 1957 followed by Joe Biondo in 1957 until 1967.. The next consig I have is Joe Riccobono from 1957 to 1967 when he was succeeded by Gallo. It's possible the position remained vacant from 57-60 or Joe Riccobono was acting consig during that 3 year period.
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

This is what I've found on the period immediately after Anastasia's murder:
img_95048_6_300.png
img_95048_7_300.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

img_125376_8_300.png
img_125376_9_300.png
img_125376_10_300.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

img_127672_84_300.png
img_127672_85_300.png
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Thank you for posting these. Sounds like its pretty clear cut- Gambino, Biondo, Riccobono.

Am I correct in the narrative that Anastasia became boss and demoted Biondo from the admin and replaced him with Frank Scalice. Scalice might have either been allied with Anastasia in removing Mangano or someone OK with letting it go. That's how promotions are usually doled out, as we see with Biondo and Riccobono who were said to have been in on murdering Anastasia... What was Salvatore Chirico's background, the guy said to be Albert's first Under from 1951 until his death in 1953.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

If Chiri is identical to Chirico, then he was UB from about 1951 to 1953, and I doubt he would go back to UB a second time. As for Riccobono, I went through his FBI file and it didn't say when he became consig. It says it was discovered that he was consig in 1963, then an informant thought he wasn't a consig anymore because of his suicide attempt. Sometime between 1965 and 1966 Joe N. Gallo became acting consig for several years. Riccobono was still listed as consig at the time of his death.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

I had Paul Castellano listed as Acting Boss from 1967 to 1976. Was it that long??
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Yes there is a document on MF that talks about a a meeting in 1967 where Castellano was elevated to Acting Boss.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Just checking.

Also, during 1991 to 1999 there was only a Ruling Panel, no acting B, U or C?

This panel consisted at various times of Failla, Vallario, Arcuri, D'Amico, Gramauta, P Gotti, J Gotti Jr and Corozzo? Wasn't Jr supposed to be acting boss during this period aided by captains?
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Yes Junior was Acting Boss for a time. After Junior was indicted in January 1998 Peter became Acting Boss with the Committee of D'Amico, Grammautta and Arcuri aiding him. D'Amico was indicted again in June. In March 1999 Squitieri was promoted to UnderBoss which probably when JoJo Corozzo was promoted to Consigliere.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

This conflicts with what I had which was Junior on a Ruling panel along with the other names I listed, I have Peter Gotti becoming Acting Boss in 1999. From there things kinda go back to a basic setup.

Do we know
1 What years J. Gotti was Acting Boss from?
2 Who was on the first committee that served him?
3 If P. Gotti became Acting boss in Jan of 1998, does that mean J. Gotti Jr was AB from 1991-2 until 1998?

Here's what I have left to redo.
gamchartend.jpg
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

DiLeonardo testified that the first committee set up after the arrest of the administration was Junior Gotti, Pete Gotti, Louis Vallario, James Failla and John D'Amico. He also said this about Junior's role:
Q. By the time Gotti, Sr. formed this ruling committee with these five individuals, what rank did each of the five of them hold?
A. They were all captains.
Q. And who was the youngest member of this five-member ruling committee?
A. John, Jr.
Q. Who was the most powerful?
A. John, Jr.
Q. Why was that?
A. He was in stead for his father. Everything had to go through him before a decision was made or kicked up to his pop.
Later he was asked about surveillance photographs of Bobby Boriello's funeral in April 1991:
Q. Is there any significance to the order in which you are walking out of the church together?
A. Well, from the proximity, John's the acting boss at that time running the family, Jackie is on the committee, and that's me.
Junior Gotti offered DiLeonardo a position on the committee to replace Failla:
Q. Did John Gotti, Jr. ever offer you a higher position in the Gambino family than that of official captain?
A. Yes.
Q. What was that?
A. He wanted me to be on the committee, be up front on the committee and help out run the family.
Q. Approximately when did he make that offer to you?
A. I believe it was when Jimmy Brown gets pinched and was on his way to jail.
Q. Jimmy Brown Failla?
A. Jimmy Brown Failla pinched sometime in April '93, he goes away the fall of '94, so it was somewhere around there.
Q. And did you accept John Gotti, Jr.'s position, offer of a position on the ruling committee of the family?
A. No. I figured it was best to turn it down, for several reasons. One, I was young. There was a lot of oldtimers out there. I advised John it would be a bad precedent to put me up there, being everybody knows how close we are, leave the oldtimers up front and, you know, I could escape some law enforcement scrutiny at that level. It gets around right away, law enforcement finds out I got a promotion, I would got a lot of heat. It wouldn't be good for the both of us.
Selwyn Raab wrote this about the comittee in November 1993:
The officials said Mr. Gotti had appointed as his surrogates his son, John Jr., and his elder brother, Peter. The others were identified by the authorities as John D'Amico, a staunch ally of Mr. Gotti, and Joseph T. Arcuri, 80, who is viewed as the elder statesman of the crime group.
The four men are known inside the Gambino family as "the administration," officials said.
Arcuri could have been the replacement for Failla or he could have replaced Vallario.

DiLeonardo said this about Grammauta in the Q&A in the mugshots section:
Steve was not earning any money and was inactive for many years, Jack D’Amico knew him well and brought him back in play, Steve was with jack the actor, and both jacks hated each other. Jr. and I gave him a few thousand every month out of the money brought in, after awhile Jack said lets put him up front he was given an acting position on the committee, good old timer, tough guy.
On the timeline of Peter Gotti's promotion to acting boss:
I refused consiglieri because Pete and Arnold were going to be boss and underboss, and Jr was not going to be in the admin.
Squitieri was released from prison I believe in 1999.
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

Some stuff from Gang Land News:

'Little Nick Wins Big', 24 August 1998
Former FBI supervisor Bruce Mouw (right) said Corozzo was part of a three-capo committee that helped John A. (Junior) Gotti run the Gambino family for his imprisoned father.
I found a few other Gang Lands from the late 1990s and early 2000s that describe the committee as consisting of three captains. I'm not sure how accurate that is however considering how many individuals we know were on it at different times.

'On the Record', 15 February 1999
The official boss of the Gambino clan is John Gotti, the onetime Dapper Don who is in a federal prison hospital in Springfield, Missouri recovering from throat cancer surgery. The family's acting boss, son John A. (Junior) Gotti, who has an April court date, has capos Peter Gotti and Joseph Arcuri to help out.
'Joe Arcuri, R.I.P.', 06 December 2007
Arcuri served for a time as acting boss, as well as a valued member of a committee of capos who aided John A. (Junior) Gotti as his father's hand-picked stand-in.
On Grammauta's tenure as acting underboss:

'The Men Who Hit Albert Anastasia', 18 October 2001
Last year, the FBI began carrying Grammauta as the acting underboss of the family.
'Tough Old Bird Pays His Respects', 13 December 2007
"He's a tough old bird," said one law enforcement source, adding that Grammauta served as an acting capo in the late 1990s. He was apparently more spry back then. The old-time guy has been inactive since 2002, according to the FBI.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

M. DiLeonardo contacted me back and this is what he said to the best of my understanding
(I believe he answers a question that Vallario was taken down once Gravano flipped and replaced on the panel with Ciccone.)
:

1991 (Pre-Gravano Flipping):
Junior Gotti - I'll call him Messenger or First among equals.
(DiLeonardo on Gotti: "Jr was in background gathering all info passing it along to his dad as often as he could, i.e. lawyers or visits. At no time did Jr Gotti have the acting boss title. Was he? Yes, he had the final say to all things. But never that title.")
Then a Panel of D'Amico, P. Gotti, Failla and Vallario.

1991 (Post-Gravano)
Junior Gotti
Panel - D'Amico, P. Gotti, Failla and Corozzo

Junior Gotti
Panel - D'Amico, P.Gotti, Ciccone (Replacing Failla on panel) and Corozzo.

Following this period includes Gramauta and Arcuri who became consig but then P.Gotti took him off. I sent him some more questions.