Capone and the Mafia

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Antiliar
Full Patched

Re: Capone and the Mafia

Post by Antiliar »

Guzik wasn't just a bookkeeper, he was the head of the "connection crew" before Murray Humphreys and Gus Alex. So he was the equivalent of a capo and a top adviser.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Antiliar wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:17 am Guzik wasn't just a bookkeeper, he was the head of the "connection crew" before Murray Humphreys and Gus Alex. So he was the equivalent of a capo and a top adviser.
I completely agree again, thanks.
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Confederate
Full Patched

Post by Confederate »

Villain wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:57 am
Antiliar wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:17 am Guzik wasn't just a bookkeeper, he was the head of the "connection crew" before Murray Humphreys and Gus Alex. So he was the equivalent of a capo and a top adviser.
Yes, that makes complete sense & is the reason why this pattern continued onward with Humphreys & Alex. Do you have any evidence as to who the others were under Guzik in the "Connection" crew besides Humphreys?
" Everything Woke turns to shit".
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Confederate wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:51 pm
Villain wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:57 am
Yes, that makes complete sense & is the reason why this pattern continued onward with Humphreys & Alex. Do you have any evidence as to who the others were under Guzik in the "Connection" crew besides Humphreys?
I think Villain already made a post about Guzik and his crew.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Besides having similar high statures in later life and also both belonging to the same south side mob, my belief is that Guzik and Humphreys still came from two different crews. For example Guzik was the boss in his own right by inheriting his fathers connections and criminal enterprises around the Loop, South, Lawndale and First Ward, and thats why he controlled a large group since the creation of the Outfit, while theres a great possibility that Humphreys first started under Dennis Cooney and later under Sam Hunt with their ops primary located around the South Side.
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Villain wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:59 pm Besides having similar high statures in later life and also both belonging to the same south side mob, my belief is that Guzik and Humphreys still came from two different crews. For example Guzik was the boss in his own right by inheriting his fathers connections and criminal enterprises around the Loop, South, Lawndale and First Ward, and thats why he controlled a large group since the creation of the Outfit, while theres a great possibility that Humphreys first started under Dennis Cooney and later under Sam Hunt with their ops primary located around the South Side.
https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.htm ... arch=guzik
Confederate
Full Patched

Post by Confederate »

Antiliar wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:29 am
Villain wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:59 pm Besides having similar high statures in later life and also both belonging to the same south side mob, my belief is that Guzik and Humphreys still came from two different crews. For example Guzik was the boss in his own right by inheriting his fathers connections and criminal enterprises around the Loop, South, Lawndale and First Ward, and thats why he controlled a large group since the creation of the Outfit, while theres a great possibility that Humphreys first started under Dennis Cooney and later under Sam Hunt with their ops primary located around the South Side.
I noticed that Roemer wrote that report. Good info that reconfirms things. However, did you notice the small mistake he made? lol
Humphreys died in 1965, not 1963. Therefore, Alex took over his spot in 1965, not 1963.
" Everything Woke turns to shit".
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Thanks and yeah i used the wrong term such as similar statures, but instead they kept that same high position or in other words Humphreys inherited it from Guzik and in the end it was Alex.

In addition, i see some different situations in which Capone allegedly helped or backed both Dragna and Milano, so do you think that at first or by 1931, both the LA and Cleveland fams were completely subordinate to Chicago? I also think that the situation with Detriot was different, meaning it was more like strong alliance that lasted until the late 60s or when the Frontier beef came up....
DPG
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by DPG »

Confederate wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:58 am
I noticed that Roemer wrote that report. Good info that reconfirms things. However, did you notice the small mistake he made? lol
Humphreys died in 1965, not 1963. Therefore, Alex took over his spot in 1965, not 1963.
Didn’t realize Humphreys died in 1965 as well. He seems to have been on a trip when Madden died on April 24, 1965. He flew into Hot Springs for one day to attend Madden’s funeral. I think he flew in from California, he seems to have been on his way back to Chicago when he got the news. Most mobsters who came to town stayed at the Arlington but Hump always stayed at the Majestic. I know his passing was sudden but I didn’t realize it was so close to Madden’s death.
I get it....first rule of fight club.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Villain wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:52 am
Thanks and yeah i used the wrong term such as similar statures, but instead they kept that same high position or in other words Humphreys inherited it from Guzik and in the end it was Alex.

In addition, i see some different situations in which Capone allegedly helped or backed both Dragna and Milano, so do you think that at first or by 1931, both the LA and Cleveland fams were completely subordinate to Chicago? I also think that the situation with Detriot was different, meaning it was more like strong alliance that lasted until the late 60s or when the Frontier beef came up....
No, Los Angeles wasn't subordinate to Chicago. The Lucchese Family represented L.A. on the Commission. L.A. had a close relationship with a number of Families, including Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo, Pueblo, Dallas, the other California Families, Lucchese and the Genovese Families.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Antiliar wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:23 pm
Villain wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:52 am

No, Los Angeles wasn't subordinate to Chicago. The Lucchese Family represented L.A. on the Commission. L.A. had a close relationship with a number of Families, including Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo, Pueblo, Dallas, the other California Families, Lucchese and the Genovese Families.
Thanks a lot. Im not sure but i think i remember seeing some files regarding Giancana and Tommy Brown discussing or being involved on the west coast
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

DPG wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:11 pm
Confederate wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:58 am
Didn’t realize Humphreys died in 1965 as well. He seems to have been on a trip when Madden died on April 24, 1965. He flew into Hot Springs for one day to attend Madden’s funeral. I think he flew in from California, he seems to have been on his way back to Chicago when he got the news. Most mobsters who came to town stayed at the Arlington but Hump always stayed at the Majestic. I know his passing was sudden but I didn’t realize it was so close to Madden’s death.
Nice info, I didnt know that Humphreys attended Maddens funeral. The Alex bros were allegedly also close with Madden....i think you and I already chatted about this some time ago
DPG
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by DPG »

I don’t have the info in front of me so this may be a little off but it will get my point across.

Madden tried to get a group of gamblers in either Little Rock or Pine Bluff to split the cost of the wire he was receiving from Joe Poretto of New Orleans, otherwise known as the Nola Printing Press. Being how Madden was only subscribing to the wire for the city of Hot Springs, when Poretto heard about this he came straight to Hot Springs and attempted to basically kick Madden out of his wire room, Downtown News located in the Ritter Hotel. The police were called and basically told Poretto to get the hell out of town. Madden got word to Humphreys about this situation through Ralph Pierce I believe and not much later Hump is heard on wiretap basically saying “You tell Papa Joe that Madden is Arkansas and he can do whatever he wants.”

Say all that to say this, New York gangsters vacationed in Hot Springs but Chicago gangsters were actually connected to the town in a few ways. I’ve found evidence that Joey Auippa May have been the main supplier of gambling equipment to the town.
I get it....first rule of fight club.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

DPG wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:10 am I don’t have the info in front of me so this may be a little off but it will get my point across.

Madden tried to get a group of gamblers in either Little Rock or Pine Bluff to split the cost of the wire he was receiving from Joe Poretto of New Orleans, otherwise known as the Nola Printing Press. Being how Madden was only subscribing to the wire for the city of Hot Springs, when Poretto heard about this he came straight to Hot Springs and attempted to basically kick Madden out of his wire room, Downtown News located in the Ritter Hotel. The police were called and basically told Poretto to get the hell out of town. Madden got word to Humphreys about this situation through Ralph Pierce I believe and not much later Hump is heard on wiretap basically saying “You tell Papa Joe that Madden is Arkansas and he can do whatever he wants.”

Say all that to say this, New York gangsters vacationed in Hot Springs but Chicago gangsters were actually connected to the town in a few ways. I’ve found evidence that Joey Auippa May have been the main supplier of gambling equipment to the town.
Thanks again for the additional info and yeah i agree about Maddens and the Outfits domination in that area during those days.

It is interesting that the whole "new project" for the Outfit started out of nowhere, meaning Sam Alex only visited Madden and his joint one day and later came to Chicago and simply informed the guys regarding Maddens lucrative operation and the chance for making some additional profits...
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Heres some additional info regarding early operations between Madden and the Outfit down in Florida...