Capone and the Mafia

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

DPG
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: Capone and the Mafia

Post by DPG »

Antiliar wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:59 pm According to a contemporary source, Capone in Cleveland two days after the meeting until he was warned to leave to avoid arrest. So although he didn't attend, he might have been connected to the meeting.

I couldn't find anything on Yale meeting with Anselmi etc. He said he came for Merlo's funeral in 1924 and was a friend of Capone's.
Capone being in town 2 days after this meeting seems way off to me. Capone is not the fat retarded slob he’s been made out to be by movies and tv shows(I understand that you know this). What I’m saying is, all the warning he would’ve needed to get the hell outta dodge is the meeting being raided. Who in their right mind has to wait to be warned 2 days later? I understand sources are limited and we have to go with what is available to us but this sounds like the work of someone trying to sell newspapers.
I get it....first rule of fight club.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Villain wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:17 am For example, as you already said, Lolordo mightve been connected to the D'Aquila regime but what about the possibility of betrayal and switching sides? Again, as you already pointed out, DAquila was killed in October 10 while the meeting occurred on December 4 i think....so do you think that after all of the murders that occurred month after month, Lolordo was going to be able to represent the dead DAquila?

We can easily explain this with the Oliveri case, meaning the guy obviously used to be with the former DAquila regime and he probably took a step back for Bacino, who in turn later simply fell under the Roberto regime. This means Oliveri was smart and chose to leave the city, meaning he didnt remain under the same regime in Chicago, nor he joined the Capone mob. As for Lolordo, he probably joined Capone and was eliminated by the opposition or his former buddies. Dont forget that his brother was involved in the infamous massacre orchastrated by the Caponites and "revenged" the late Lolordo and later took off

So if we count the time startin from Daquila demise, Lolordo managed to remain alive for "quite awhile" lol, if you know what im saying here?!
In 1928 Tom Reina was still alive and was married to Sam Oliveri's cousin, with Oliveri's uncle Andrea likely being a senior member of the Reina family given his previous involvement with Morello. If Oliveri was directly aligned with a New York boss, it would have been Tom Reina who was still alive in 1928. You could say Oliveri was indirectly aligned with D'Aquila as it seems D'Aquila approved Reina's election as boss, but not sure the connection between Oliveri and D'Aquila is obvious unless there is specific info about it.

We also don't know if Tom Reina's 1930 murder had anything to do with D'Aquila's death in 1928 or if it was a completely independent issue with Masseria -- I've never seen D'Aquila mentioned in connection to Reina's murder, but we know Masseria was blamed by the Gagliano faction for the Reina murder. Oliveri leaving Chicago after Tom Reina was killed by Masseria followed by Masseria's friend Al Capone taking over Chicago makes sense, so that probably had more of an impact on Oliveri leaving Chicago than anything to do with D'Aquila's murder almost two years earlier.

If Lolordo was the boss of Chicago at the Cleveland meeting in December 1928, he would have been representing the Chicago family but if he became Chicago boss earlier it would have required the approval of capo dei capi D'Aquila while he was alive. The former D'Aquila family was represented in Cleveland by D'Aquila's top loyalist Giuseppe Traina. Joe Profaci also attended, who was later part of a secret alliance against Masseria, so along with Traina we have at least two confirmed anti-Masseria NYC figures at the Cleveland meeting. Profaci stands out because he had previously lived in Chicago and may have known Lolordo during that period. It's possible too that the Cleveland meeting was an opportunity for Lolordo to be introduced to other US mafia figures as the new Chicago boss.

Based on Oliveri's marital relation to Tom Reina, we can assume Oliveri was another anti-Masseria figure at the Cleveland meeting or he was at least indifferent and would become anti-Masseria later after Reina's murder. We also have Sam DiCarlo from Buffalo, whose boss Stefano Magaddino was a major anti-Masseria figure. So even though Masseria became boss of bosses around this time, the Cleveland meeting was attended by a number of men who would be part of the anti-Masseria faction. For all we know it was a gathering of former D'Aquila loyalists trying to sort out the politics following his murder, though Vincent Mangano stands out as he became pro-Masseria by 1930/1931.

It's a good point about Joe Lolordo's suspected involvement in the massacre, as it may have been a way of testing his loyalty to the new Chicago powers, though his decision to leave Chicago at the time Al Capone officially took over makes it unclear if Joe Lolordo was in fact on good terms with the Capone regime (and Masseria) or not. Interestingly Pasquale Lolordo's son would go to college in the Chicago area many years later, though he was not a mafia figure and grew up in NYC with his mother in the same home as Joe Lolordo. You have to wonder if he had contact with Phil Bacino or other Chicago mafia figures at the time, though his father's murder was ancient history by then. Bacino's decision to stay in Chicago area is interesting and we know he maintained contact with the DeCavalcantes and Ribera, though I haven't seen any indications he and Joe Lolordo maintained contact but we have no way to know.

I suppose it's relative, as to me Pasquale Lolordo living for less than three months after D'Aquila's murder is a short amount of time. It often takes months for mafia murders to be planned and executed, especially if the victim is expecting it, so less than three months is a pretty small amount of time for interrelated murders during a period of mob warfare.

--

As a counter-argument, we know that Masseria had a faction of "Sciacchitani" (men from Sciacca and surrounding areas in Agrigento) under him. This included Nick Gentile, from Siculiana, though we don't have much information on who else this included and there is nobody who corroborated Gentile on these details that I've seen. It's possible that Pasquale Lolordo, being from Ribera/Agrigento, was aligned with this Sciacchitani element under Masseria, but it is difficult to say without someone specifically identifying Lolordo as part of the Sciacchitani, especially since this faction may have been NYC-centric.

The unfortunate thing about Lolordo is he is often overlooked by member sources when compared to Aiello and Lombardo. Most of the info I've seen on Lolordo and the circumstances of his murder tend to come from the limited view police and journalists had at the time. If we even had one contemporary member source who could break down the Lolordo situation it could clear up a lot and change the entire discussion.

It's interesting to explore the different possibilities either way, as Lolordo's exact situation would tell us more about Chicago, the DeCavalcantes, Ribera, and other connections. Lolordo may even have some marital ties to members of the Birmingham family through his wife, maiden surname Mule.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

B. wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:01 pm
Villain wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:17 am For example, as you already said, Lolordo mightve been connected to the D'Aquila regime but what about the possibility of betrayal and switching sides? Again, as you already pointed out, DAquila was killed in October 10 while the meeting occurred on December 4 i think....so do you think that after all of the murders that occurred month after month, Lolordo was going to be able to represent the dead DAquila?

We can easily explain this with the Oliveri case, meaning the guy obviously used to be with the former DAquila regime and he probably took a step back for Bacino, who in turn later simply fell under the Roberto regime. This means Oliveri was smart and chose to leave the city, meaning he didnt remain under the same regime in Chicago, nor he joined the Capone mob. As for Lolordo, he probably joined Capone and was eliminated by the opposition or his former buddies. Dont forget that his brother was involved in the infamous massacre orchastrated by the Caponites and "revenged" the late Lolordo and later took off

So if we count the time startin from Daquila demise, Lolordo managed to remain alive for "quite awhile" lol, if you know what im saying here?!
In 1928 Tom Reina was still alive and was married to Sam Oliveri's cousin, with Oliveri's uncle Andrea likely being a senior member of the Reina family given his previous involvement with Morello. If Oliveri was directly aligned with a New York boss, it would have been Tom Reina who was still alive in 1928. You could say Oliveri was indirectly aligned with D'Aquila as it seems D'Aquila approved Reina's election as boss, but not sure the connection between Oliveri and D'Aquila is obvious unless there is specific info about it.

We also don't know if Tom Reina's 1930 murder had anything to do with D'Aquila's death in 1928 or if it was a completely independent issue with Masseria -- I've never seen D'Aquila mentioned in connection to Reina's murder, but we know Masseria was blamed by the Gagliano faction for the Reina murder. Oliveri leaving Chicago after Tom Reina was killed by Masseria followed by Masseria's friend Al Capone taking over Chicago makes sense, so that probably had more of an impact on Oliveri leaving Chicago than anything to do with D'Aquila's murder almost two years earlier.

If Lolordo was the boss of Chicago at the Cleveland meeting in December 1928, he would have been representing the Chicago family but if he became Chicago boss earlier it would have required the approval of capo dei capi D'Aquila while he was alive. The former D'Aquila family was represented in Cleveland by D'Aquila's top loyalist Giuseppe Traina. Joe Profaci also attended, who was later part of a secret alliance against Masseria, so along with Traina we have at least two confirmed anti-Masseria NYC figures at the Cleveland meeting. Profaci stands out because he had previously lived in Chicago and may have known Lolordo during that period. It's possible too that the Cleveland meeting was an opportunity for Lolordo to be introduced to other US mafia figures as the new Chicago boss.

Based on Oliveri's marital relation to Tom Reina, we can assume Oliveri was another anti-Masseria figure at the Cleveland meeting or he was at least indifferent and would become anti-Masseria later after Reina's murder. We also have Sam DiCarlo from Buffalo, whose boss Stefano Magaddino was a major anti-Masseria figure. So even though Masseria became boss of bosses around this time, the Cleveland meeting was attended by a number of men who would be part of the anti-Masseria faction. For all we know it was a gathering of former D'Aquila loyalists trying to sort out the politics following his murder, though Vincent Mangano stands out as he became pro-Masseria by 1930/1931.

It's a good point about Joe Lolordo's suspected involvement in the massacre, as it may have been a way of testing his loyalty to the new Chicago powers, though his decision to leave Chicago at the time Al Capone officially took over makes it unclear if Joe Lolordo was in fact on good terms with the Capone regime (and Masseria) or not. Interestingly Pasquale Lolordo's son would go to college in the Chicago area many years later, though he was not a mafia figure and grew up in NYC with his mother in the same home as Joe Lolordo. You have to wonder if he had contact with Phil Bacino or other Chicago mafia figures at the time, though his father's murder was ancient history by then. Bacino's decision to stay in Chicago area is interesting and we know he maintained contact with the DeCavalcantes and Ribera, though I haven't seen any indications he and Joe Lolordo maintained contact but we have no way to know.

I suppose it's relative, as to me Pasquale Lolordo living for less than three months after D'Aquila's murder is a short amount of time. It often takes months for mafia murders to be planned and executed, especially if the victim is expecting it, so less than three months is a pretty small amount of time for interrelated murders during a period of mob warfare.

--

As a counter-argument, we know that Masseria had a faction of "Sciacchitani" (men from Sciacca and surrounding areas in Agrigento) under him. This included Nick Gentile, from Siculiana, though we don't have much information on who else this included and there is nobody who corroborated Gentile on these details that I've seen. It's possible that Pasquale Lolordo, being from Ribera/Agrigento, was aligned with this Sciacchitani element under Masseria, but it is difficult to say without someone specifically identifying Lolordo as part of the Sciacchitani, especially since this faction may have been NYC-centric.

The unfortunate thing about Lolordo is he is often overlooked by member sources when compared to Aiello and Lombardo. Most of the info I've seen on Lolordo and the circumstances of his murder tend to come from the limited view police and journalists had at the time. If we even had one contemporary member source who could break down the Lolordo situation it could clear up a lot and change the entire discussion.

It's interesting to explore the different possibilities either way, as Lolordo's exact situation would tell us more about Chicago, the DeCavalcantes, Ribera, and other connections. Lolordo may even have some marital ties to members of the Birmingham family through his wife, maiden surname Mule.
Nice theories.

Btw was Profaci an associate of the old and so-called Navy St group?
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Confederate
Full Patched

Post by Confederate »

Confederate wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:18 pm
Antiliar wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:50 pm
Confederate wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:20 pm
Antiliar wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:51 pm I use allegedly because we don't know for certain who wielded what. There's no actual evidence of being beaten with baseball bats on their autopsy reports, but it doesn't mean it wasn't part of the overall beatings than ended with them being shot. Mags believes Accardo did use a bat, but that info was passed down to him second or third or fourth hand. Accardo didn't tell him himself. We don't know if Capone took part or just stood back giving the orders.

Capone was a semi-pro baseball player before he moved to Chicago and an avid fan.

I believe Caruso sang at Colosimo's Cafe.
I've already discussed this with Villain, I was just wondering if you ever watched the "Boardwalk Empire" Series? The first time I saw it was several years ago & didn't pay attention to very many details about it at that time. However, since being on this Forum for almost 3 years, I bought the whole series & watched it again with a more educated perspective. Anyway, just wondering if you ever watched it, even remember it, & what your take was on it. Let's say they portrayed Capone in a "different" type of light, to say the least. lol
Never watched it. To be honest, I think if I did watch this series that totally changed facts and history that I might take a bat to my TV. LOL
They didn't totally change the facts of history & they left out some important things & added some other strange things. I would then suggest you not watch it. You'll have to buy a new T.V afterwards.
Was Gentile the only source of information that Capone was made by Masseria in 1928? What was the relationship between Gentile & Masseria?
" Everything Woke turns to shit".
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Villain wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:30 am Nice theories.

Thanks for reading -- I know my posts can be a chore.

Joe Profaci was a relative by marriage of Giulio D'Agati, boss of Villabate in Sicily (later murdered) before Joe came to the US. Joe's uncle Ignazio Profaci was also a significant member of the Villabate family identified by Italian investigators. Joe also had an older brother Domenico Profaci who was killed in mafia warfare in the 1920s. It's likely his father Salvatore was a member, too, as he told the police during his 1928 Cleveland arrest that Tampa boss Ignazio Italiano was a friend of his father's and pretty much every male relative by blood and marriage was a made member of the mafia in Sicily or NYC.

He was about as Sicilian as they come and after becoming boss the Profaci family remained almost entirely Sicilian until the 1950s. Navy Street was done by the time Profaci came to NYC so if he had any ties to them it would have been after they were dissolved into the Sicilian-led families (assuming that happened).

His Chicago years are a big mystery but it's likely he knew and/or associated with the local mafiosi given his overwhelming mafia connections. In early NYC and in Sicily, Bagheria and Villabate were closely intertwined so I suspect Joe Profaci fell in with the large Bagheresi faction of the Chicago mafia family. This might explain why he isn't known to have been close to the Chicago family post-1931 given what happened to the Bagheresi in the late 1920s, meanwhile he was extremely close to Detroit and his daughters married the sons of Detroit leaders.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Confederate wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:00 pm
Was Gentile the only source of information that Capone was made by Masseria in 1928? What was the relationship between Gentile & Masseria?
- August Maniaci also mentions it.

- Gentile sided with Masseria in the Castellammarese War. He didn't mention any relationship more than that.
Confederate
Full Patched

Post by Confederate »

Antiliar wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:03 pm

- Gentile sided with Masseria in the Castellammarese War. He didn't mention any relationship more than that.
Were Gentile & Maniaci members of Masseria's Family? Just trying to understand how they knew all about Capone & Masseria.

It is common knowledge that Capone supported Masseria in the War, but it is not common knowledge that Masseria actually "made" Capone in 1928 according to some other "historians" that I researched. My "compliments" to you & Villain. :)
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Gentile was a member of a lot of Families. Going from memory, he was made in Philadelphia, then later he was part of Pittsburgh, then Boston, Cleveland, San Francisco, Kansas City, Cleveland again, Pittsburgh again, then the Gambino (Mangano) Family - with several returns to Sicily in-between where he was part of Porto Empedocle and maybe Siculiana and Realmonte. I believe he returned from one of his trips to Sicily in 1930 and joined Pittsburgh, and while there he was named to a commission to look into complaints about Masseria - mostly from Maranzano.

Maniaci was a member of the Milwaukee Family.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

B. wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:53 pm
Villain wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:30 am Nice theories.

Thanks for reading -- I know my posts can be a chore.

Joe Profaci was a relative by marriage of Giulio D'Agati, boss of Villabate in Sicily (later murdered) before Joe came to the US. Joe's uncle Ignazio Profaci was also a significant member of the Villabate family identified by Italian investigators. Joe also had an older brother Domenico Profaci who was killed in mafia warfare in the 1920s. It's likely his father Salvatore was a member, too, as he told the police during his 1928 Cleveland arrest that Tampa boss Ignazio Italiano was a friend of his father's and pretty much every male relative by blood and marriage was a made member of the mafia in Sicily or NYC.

He was about as Sicilian as they come and after becoming boss the Profaci family remained almost entirely Sicilian until the 1950s. Navy Street was done by the time Profaci came to NYC so if he had any ties to them it would have been after they were dissolved into the Sicilian-led families (assuming that happened).

His Chicago years are a big mystery but it's likely he knew and/or associated with the local mafiosi given his overwhelming mafia connections. In early NYC and in Sicily, Bagheria and Villabate were closely intertwined so I suspect Joe Profaci fell in with the large Bagheresi faction of the Chicago mafia family. This might explain why he isn't known to have been close to the Chicago family post-1931 given what happened to the Bagheresi in the late 1920s, meanwhile he was extremely close to Detroit and his daughters married the sons of Detroit leaders.
Thanks. Lots of disinformation out there since for a second i thought that Profaci arrived in Chicago together with members from that group.

In addition, it is quite interesting that during his younger years in Chicago, Johnny Roselli was first connected to Diamond Joes group on the west side, not the Capones from the south, and we know that Esposito was a made member of the Mafia and possible ally of the D'Aquila regime in Chicago.

According to Roselli himself, he met Capone through Esposito on some boxing match in New York and later, Espositos top guy Paul Ricca gave him some money so the young Roselli can reach the west coast.

Also im sorry for my recent short answers and questions, since im currently working on two projects at the same time regarding the Outfit and i want to finish them as soon as i can.
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Villain wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:30 pm Thanks. Lots of disinformation out there since for a second i thought that Profaci arrived in Chicago together with members from that group.

In addition, it is quite interesting that during his younger years in Chicago, Johnny Roselli was first connected to Diamond Joes group on the west side, not the Capones from the south, and we know that Esposito was a made member of the Mafia and possible ally of the D'Aquila regime in Chicago.

According to Roselli himself, he met Capone through Esposito on some boxing match in New York and later, Espositos top guy Paul Ricca gave him some money so the young Roselli can reach the west coast.

Also im sorry for my recent short answers and questions, since im currently working on two projects at the same time regarding the Outfit and i want to finish them as soon as i can.
No worries -- I appreciate the replies. I am learning a great deal about the mainlander relationships from your posts. I had no idea Roselli was close to Esposito. From what you've told me, a realistic theory seems to be that Esposito recruited some of these "rising stars" like Ricca and Roselli into the mafia (at least as associates) and following Esposito's murder they fell in with Capone, so Capone already had a major "in" among the younger, Americanized mainland faction of the Chicago mafia. I'm sure this helped pave his way to the top leadership spot, along with Masseria's support and his own merits (wealth, muscle).

It makes more sense than Capone recruiting completely outside of the local mafia (though he appears to have done that, too) and we know most large families around the country already had a growing Americanized / mainland membership. It would also explain why Roselli and Ricca were so shrewd within mafia politics, even among the Sicilians -- they didn't suddenly learn how it all worked in 1931, but probably began learning under Esposito who was close to the mafia leadership.

Magaddino's references to meeting with Ricca in 1931 also indicates Ricca was already comfortable in high-level mafia politics by this time -- this is significant because the 1931 Chicago meeting was a purely political meeting (in the mafia sense) and didn't involve operations/rackets, and as Magaddino said, Ricca represented the "Americanized" faction alongside boss Loverde's "greaseball" faction. It seems like Esposito was a leading figure of this same "Americanized" faction earlier on. There is a lot more continuity and gradual change within the mafia than there are sudden changes and developments.

I may have mentioned it in the other Chicago thread, but a Lucchese made member who became an early confidential informant did prison time with Roselli in the 1940s and said Roselli had been the underboss of the Los Angeles family at one time. This Lucchese CI remained close to Roselli in the years after they were released from prison, so it has some weight. I haven't seen this from any other sources, but every source agrees that Roselli was the most powerful member in Los Angeles (except for maybe Dragna himself while he was alive -- but he was close to Roselli so they reinforced each other) and he was still highly influential over the LA family even after he transferred to Chicago.

By D'Aquila "regime", I assume you mean Chicago members who were loyal to D'Aquila as capo dei capi? While there were definitely loyalists and enemies to the capo dei capi at any given time, I think in most cases members were neutral and didn't want to rock the boat. You basically go along with the capo dei capi or run the risk of being deposed or murdered, with the capo dei capi often capitalizing on unrest that already exists in the local mafia family at any given time. There is no doubt the transition between D'Aquila to Masseria had major implications across the country, especially Chicago given the Capone/Masseria situation.

Good luck with your projects!
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

B. wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:23 pm
Villain wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:30 pm Thanks. Lots of disinformation out there since for a second i thought that Profaci arrived in Chicago together with members from that group.

No worries -- I appreciate the replies. I am learning a great deal about the mainlander relationships from your posts. I had no idea Roselli was close to Esposito. From what you've told me, a realistic theory seems to be that Esposito recruited some of these "rising stars" like Ricca and Roselli into the mafia (at least as associates) and following Esposito's murder they fell in with Capone, so Capone already had a major "in" among the younger, Americanized mainland faction of the Chicago mafia. I'm sure this helped pave his way to the top leadership spot, along with Masseria's support and his own merits (wealth, muscle).

It makes more sense than Capone recruiting completely outside of the local mafia (though he appears to have done that, too) and we know most large families around the country already had a growing Americanized / mainland membership. It would also explain why Roselli and Ricca were so shrewd within mafia politics, even among the Sicilians -- they didn't suddenly learn how it all worked in 1931, but probably began learning under Esposito who was close to the mafia leadership.

Magaddino's references to meeting with Ricca in 1931 also indicates Ricca was already comfortable in high-level mafia politics by this time -- this is significant because the 1931 Chicago meeting was a purely political meeting (in the mafia sense) and didn't involve operations/rackets, and as Magaddino said, Ricca represented the "Americanized" faction alongside boss Loverde's "greaseball" faction. It seems like Esposito was a leading figure of this same "Americanized" faction earlier on. There is a lot more continuity and gradual change within the mafia than there are sudden changes and developments.

I may have mentioned it in the other Chicago thread, but a Lucchese made member who became an early confidential informant did prison time with Roselli in the 1940s and said Roselli had been the underboss of the Los Angeles family at one time. This Lucchese CI remained close to Roselli in the years after they were released from prison, so it has some weight. I haven't seen this from any other sources, but every source agrees that Roselli was the most powerful member in Los Angeles (except for maybe Dragna himself while he was alive -- but he was close to Roselli so they reinforced each other) and he was still highly influential over the LA family even after he transferred to Chicago.

By D'Aquila "regime", I assume you mean Chicago members who were loyal to D'Aquila as capo dei capi? While there were definitely loyalists and enemies to the capo dei capi at any given time, I think in most cases members were neutral and didn't want to rock the boat. You basically go along with the capo dei capi or run the risk of being deposed or murdered, with the capo dei capi often capitalizing on unrest that already exists in the local mafia family at any given time. There is no doubt the transition between D'Aquila to Masseria had major implications across the country, especially Chicago given the Capone/Masseria situation.

Good luck with your projects!
Thanks again.

Yeah i remember you gave that nice example with Roselli and you also nicely explained my view on the boss of bosses situation, since i have nothing else to add about it.

Espositos group which included younger guys such as Ricca, Roselli or Mops Volpe, obviously played a major role in the so-called creation of the Capone Mob, meaning i see Esposito playing the same role as Colosimo, Yale and Torrio. When Esposito got killed, it seems that Capone doubled his "army" and political connections, with Ricca being his main contact with the old timers or the Sicilians, while Volpe was his personal assistant within their organization. So this again raises the question on whether Ricca was made before Capone, since like you already said, he also felt quite comfortable with the bosses? Same question goes for Volpe who in turn was also a big player during the 20s...although if guys like Ricca or Volpe were made before Capone, then its quite possible that Esposito had much higher stature then just being a simple soldier right?! Or maybe he was one of those "Chicago soldiers" who controlled larger areas and also had several made guys beneath him?

Also, since Esposito was a made guy and was closely connected to them, I wonder if he represented the south side group also, meaning the Colosimo/Torrio/Capone mob, or maybe they were represented by the bosses themselves, meaning D'Andrea, Merlo or Lombardo which is more possible? OR maybe there was another officially made rep for the South faction before Capone, someone like Torrio or maybe even Colosimo? I mean in 1928 Capone "instantly" received the capodecina stature and the privilege to make his own people.....These are just few of the many important and unanswered questions...
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Antiliar wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:39 pm Gentile was a member of a lot of Families. Going from memory, he was made in Philadelphia, then later he was part of Pittsburgh, then Boston, Cleveland, San Francisco, Kansas City, Cleveland again, Pittsburgh again, then the Gambino (Mangano) Family - with several returns to Sicily in-between where he was part of Porto Empedocle and maybe Siculiana and Realmonte. I believe he returned from one of his trips to Sicily in 1930 and joined Pittsburgh, and while there he was named to a commission to look into complaints about Masseria - mostly from Maranzano.

Thanks for this. It is interesting that Capone once allegedly saved Gentiles life...

Confederate
Full Patched

Post by Confederate »

Villain wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:36 am
Antiliar wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:39 pm Gentile was a member of a lot of Families. Going from memory, he was made in Philadelphia, then later he was part of Pittsburgh, then Boston, Cleveland, San Francisco, Kansas City, Cleveland again, Pittsburgh again, then the Gambino (Mangano) Family - with several returns to Sicily in-between where he was part of Porto Empedocle and maybe Siculiana and Realmonte. I believe he returned from one of his trips to Sicily in 1930 and joined Pittsburgh, and while there he was named to a commission to look into complaints about Masseria - mostly from Maranzano.

Thanks for this. It is interesting that Capone once allegedly saved Gentiles life...

What exactly was the accusation against Gentile?
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Confederate wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:46 am
Villain wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:36 am

What exactly was the accusation against Gentile?
Heres one missing part from the whole file that might answer your question...

Confederate
Full Patched

Post by Confederate »

Confederate wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:07 pm
Antiliar wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:03 pm

Were Gentile & Maniaci members of Masseria's Family? Just trying to understand how they knew all about Capone & Masseria.

It is common knowledge that Capone supported Masseria in the War, but it is not common knowledge that Masseria actually "made" Capone in 1928 according to some other "historians" that I researched. My "compliments" to you & Villain. :)
Do you think Capone made Ricca in 1928? Ricca HAD to be one of those first 10? No?