General Mob Questions

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

bert
Full Patched

Re: General Mob Questions

Post by bert »

They do launder money, but not every one that has a legit business is doing it. Laundering money like they do in movies is something only big financial people can do, if even they can do it that much. With Mafia members or associates, their taxes and businesses are constantly examined as if they are Donald Trump's tax returns. It can't be so easy with that much heat.

The crypto currency thing is what I wonder about, they say cartels and other groups do it, but I wonder how much and how true that is.
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

bert wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:19 pm They do launder money, but not every one that has a legit business is doing it. Laundering money like they do in movies is something only big financial people can do, if even they can do it that much. With Mafia members or associates, their taxes and businesses are constantly examined as if they are Donald Trump's tax returns. It can't be so easy with that much heat.

The crypto currency thing is what I wonder about, they say cartels and other groups do it, but I wonder how much and how true that is.
I've heard about the crypto and the bit coin stuff... And a lot of dope is bought over the black web now... As weird as that sounds. Ik of a few dealers that actually spend big money on the dark web or black web.... Sometimes it doesn't even go all the way thru
HANG IT UP NICKY. ITS TIME TO GO HOME.
Naitor
Prospect

Post by Naitor »

Sorry if this has been asked, but I was wondering about the details of Gotti and the Aryan Brotherhood's connections. I know he supposedly hired them to kill another inmate, but is it true he originally hired the AB for protection, refused to pay and then got attacked? All the articles I've found on this seem to be of the indictments themselves.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Naitor wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:09 am Sorry if this has been asked, but I was wondering about the details of Gotti and the Aryan Brotherhood's connections. I know he supposedly hired them to kill another inmate, but is it true he originally hired the AB for protection, refused to pay and then got attacked? All the articles I've found on this seem to be of the indictments themselves.
If I remember right, the altercation between Gotti and Walter Johnson was of a personal nature. And the AB came into the picture later when he hired them to kill Johnson. The rest was speculation on the forums, I think.
All roads lead to New York.
Naitor
Prospect

Post by Naitor »

I don't know if this is off-topic, or even appropriate for this forum, but I had an acquaintance show me what seems to the Solly D's actual Facebook profile. It seemed like BS at first, but judging by the pictures it does really seem to be him, which beckons the question... do mobsters, especially high profile ones, really deal with social media? I know it's 2020 and we have all this technology, but it does seem kind of counter productive to the secretive society thing that LCN is known for. Then again, you obviously wouldn't be putting up any incriminating material, so maybe it's an image thing? Show you're nothing but a loving grandfather, as in Solly D's case?
DPG
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by DPG »

Does CG6343-C represent files anyone is aware of?
I get it....first rule of fight club.
TallGuy19
Full Patched

Post by TallGuy19 »

Naitor wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:39 pm I don't know if this is off-topic, or even appropriate for this forum, but I had an acquaintance show me what seems to the Solly D's actual Facebook profile. It seemed like BS at first, but judging by the pictures it does really seem to be him, which beckons the question... do mobsters, especially high profile ones, really deal with social media? I know it's 2020 and we have all this technology, but it does seem kind of counter productive to the secretive society thing that LCN is known for. Then again, you obviously wouldn't be putting up any incriminating material, so maybe it's an image thing? Show you're nothing but a loving grandfather, as in Solly D's case?
Joey Merlino had a Facebook page for awhile, but I believe he has taken it down.

Salvatore "Sally KO" Larca, a Genovese soldier, also had a Facebook page, but I'm pretty sure he has also taken it down.

Barney Bellomo's brother, Salvatore Bellomo has a page, although I don't believe he is involved in organized crime.

Gambino associate Robert Francella has a page. He's the one who was arrested in 2008 for trying to shake down a hotdog vendor for $200 a week, then beating him when he refused to pay up.

Even some rats, like Frank Gangi, have public pages that list their current location and have current pictures up.
"A thug changes, and love changes, and best friends become strangers. Word up."
gohnjotti
Full Patched

Post by gohnjotti »

TallGuy19 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:29 pm
Naitor wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:39 pm I don't know if this is off-topic, or even appropriate for this forum, but I had an acquaintance show me what seems to the Solly D's actual Facebook profile. It seemed like BS at first, but judging by the pictures it does really seem to be him, which beckons the question... do mobsters, especially high profile ones, really deal with social media? I know it's 2020 and we have all this technology, but it does seem kind of counter productive to the secretive society thing that LCN is known for. Then again, you obviously wouldn't be putting up any incriminating material, so maybe it's an image thing? Show you're nothing but a loving grandfather, as in Solly D's case?
Joey Merlino had a Facebook page for awhile, but I believe he has taken it down.

Salvatore "Sally KO" Larca, a Genovese soldier, also had a Facebook page, but I'm pretty sure he has also taken it down.

Barney Bellomo's brother, Salvatore Bellomo has a page, although I don't believe he is involved in organized crime.

Gambino associate Robert Francella has a page. He's the one who was arrested in 2008 for trying to shake down a hotdog vendor for $200 a week, then beating him when he refused to pay up.

Even some rats, like Frank Gangi, have public pages that list their current location and have current pictures up.
Lots of their wives have Facebooks and are all friends with each other so, from that standpoint, it doesn't seem like the Mafia is worried about Facebook as a whole, although you can probably count the number of "made guys" with Facebook profiles on one hand.

I know Philly guys like their Instagram but I don't know so much about that scene.
I don't know dick about dick.

http://thecolombomafia.com
TallGuy19
Full Patched

Post by TallGuy19 »

gohnjotti wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:34 pm
TallGuy19 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:29 pm

Lots of their wives have Facebooks and are all friends with each other so, from that standpoint, it doesn't seem like the Mafia is worried about Facebook as a whole, although you can probably count the number of "made guys" with Facebook profiles on one hand.

I know Philly guys like their Instagram but I don't know so much about that scene.
I haven't found very many made guys with public pages, but it's still interesting to look at their relatives pages. Some of the Persicos are active on social media, and Pasquale Falcetti (Genovese capo) has a handful of relatives on there too.
DPG
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by DPG »

I remember in one recent thread that someone mentioned in passing that a group of Lucchese turncoats all moved to Florida and stayed close to one another after Vic and Amuso were taken down. Is there a article or thread about this situation? Pretty interesting to me.
DPG
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by DPG »

Naitor wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:09 am Sorry if this has been asked, but I was wondering about the details of Gotti and the Aryan Brotherhood's connections. I know he supposedly hired them to kill another inmate, but is it true he originally hired the AB for protection, refused to pay and then got attacked? All the articles I've found on this seem to be of the indictments themselves.
Couple years back Tag showed me that a ton of members in Sicily and Italy had Facebook pages. I said something to that effect on a thread over at gangsterbb(that Tag was not involved in) and she posted that I don’t need to be telling people about it. :mrgreen: I guess she was worried it was gonna to get her husband whacked by his cousin MMD :lol:
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

DPG wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:33 pm
Couple years back Tag showed me that a ton of members in Sicily and Italy had Facebook pages. I said something to that effect on a thread over at gangsterbb(that Tag was not involved in) and she posted that I don’t need to be telling people about it. :mrgreen: I guess she was worried it was gonna to get her husband whacked by his cousin MMD :lol:
Lol... Classic tag. Wonder if she was at Frank Cali funeral?? Lol. I bet she wanted to come on here during that time to tell us about her legit yet hugely connected sicilian husband husband of hers.

Also...
To follow up your Lucchese question,
GohnJotti mentioned how Colombo turncoats are all together in Florida as well. Can anyone elaborate more?? Is that the witsec mafia we hear about ?
HANG IT UP NICKY. ITS TIME TO GO HOME.
TommyShots
Straightened out

Post by TommyShots »

Did consiglieris and Underbosses have their own personal crews of earners that only reported to them?
gohnjotti
Full Patched

Post by gohnjotti »

JeremyTheJew wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:19 pm GohnJotti mentioned how Colombo turncoats are all together in Florida as well. Can anyone elaborate more?? Is that the witsec mafia we hear about ?
If you want names, I know that former Colombo associates Larry Mazza, Jimmy Delmastro, Larry Fiorenza, Tommy McLaughlin, Peter Tagliavia, Anthony Russo, and Frank Pontillo are all friends in Florida together. There are probably more: for example, Anthony Russo is also friends with former Gambino captain Michael DiLeonardo as evidenced in the Trevor McDonald documentary. Here is the timeline for their arrests and cooperations:

Larry Mazza: Turned government's witness in 1993/4.
Jimmy Delmastro: Turned government's witness in 1993/4.
Larry Fiorenza: Turned government's witness in 1993/4.
Tommy McLaughlin: Turned FBI informant in 2008(?), turned government witness in 2011.
Peter Tagliavia: Turned FBI informant in 2008(?), turned government witness in 2011.
Anthony Russo: Turned government witness in 2011.
Frank Pontillo: Became FBI informant in 2009 or so, turned government witness in 2012.
I don't know dick about dick.

http://thecolombomafia.com
TallGuy19
Full Patched

Post by TallGuy19 »

TommyShots wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:54 pm Did consiglieris and Underbosses have their own personal crews of earners that only reported to them?
When Bobby Manna was consigliere of the Genovese family, he oversaw their Jersey faction.

In the Lucchese family the consigliere was allowed to have one soldier report directly to him and act as kind of an executive aide. Anthony Casso held this position under Christopher Furnari before becoming underboss.

The Colombos have a long history of underbosses having crews under them. Bill Cutolo retained his crew after becoming underboss. Even Joe Colombo, as boss, had a crew of soldiers reporting directly to him.

Each family and each administration of each family does things slightly different. For example, I don't know if the consigliere having a soldier under them was standard practice across the mob, or if it was even standard practice within the Lucchese family. It's possible the boss simply allowed Furnari to have Casso directly with him because of their close relationship.