Capone and the Mafia

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Confederate
Full Patched

Re: Capone and the Mafia

Post by Confederate »

Antiliar wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:09 pm
Confederate wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:36 pm
Antiliar wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:31 pm If Al Capone paid any money to the Italo-American National Union (IANU), it was annual dues money. He paid tribute to the Chicago Mafia. Anthony D'Andrea was the Chicago Mafia boss from 1914 to 1921, and was also the national head of the Unione Siciliana from around 1919 to his death. The head of the Chicago Mafia after him was Mike Merlo, then Tony Lombardo (with Angelo Genna trying to take over, and allegedly Sam Ammatuna), then Lolordo, Giunta, Aiello, and LoVerde. Capone was recognized as the Chicago Cosa Nostra rappresentante by Salvatore Maranzano in 1931, and LoVerde was either demoted to soldier or shelved, and then killed.
How many Mafia Groups were there in Chicago before 1931? That's the confusing part. Can you name them & where approximately they operated.
Thanks.
Only one in the city of Chicago that I'm aware of. Are you talking about crews? We only have speculation for that.
before 1931, Were the Genna Brothers part of that one Mafia Group In Chicago? If not, were they simply a seperate Crew that operated. I believe they operated around Taylor St. Who killed some of the Genna Brothers? Were all of them killed?
" Everything Woke turns to shit".
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Confederate wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:39 pm
Antiliar wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:09 pm
Antiliar wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:31 pm If Al Capone paid any money to the Italo-American National Union (IANU), it was annual dues money. He paid tribute to the Chicago Mafia. Anthony D'Andrea was the Chicago Mafia boss from 1914 to 1921, and was also the national head of the Unione Siciliana from around 1919 to his death. The head of the Chicago Mafia after him was Mike Merlo, then Tony Lombardo (with Angelo Genna trying to take over, and allegedly Sam Ammatuna), then Lolordo, Giunta, Aiello, and LoVerde. Capone was recognized as the Chicago Cosa Nostra rappresentante by Salvatore Maranzano in 1931, and LoVerde was either demoted to soldier or shelved, and then killed.
How many Mafia Groups were there in Chicago before 1931? That's the confusing part. Can you name them & where approximately they operated.
Thanks.
Only one in the city of Chicago that I'm aware of. Are you talking about crews? We only have speculation for that.
before 1931, Were the Genna Brothers part of that one Mafia Group In Chicago? If not, were they simply a seperate Crew that operated. I believe they operated around Taylor St. Who killed some of the Genna Brothers? Were all of them killed?
They were part of the Merlo group but they didnt sit well with the new Lombardo/Aiello regime and so they were killed on the orders of the new regime. I personally believe that only one or two brothers were considered made guys, Angelo and possibly Mike, and i also think thats the same number of brothers that remained alive....after their elimination, both Lombardo and Aiello shared their territory
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

One thing I would add to what Villain wrote is that some of the Gennas, especially Angelo Genna, may have been killed by the North Side (Weiss-Drucci-Moran) gang. Either option is possible.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Antiliar wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:00 am One thing I would add to what Villain wrote is that some of the Gennas, especially Angelo Genna, may have been killed by the North Side (Weiss-Drucci-Moran) gang. Either option is possible.
Thanks. Do you believe that sometimes the Drucci crew acted as a satellite gang for the Mafia, especially in executing contracts? And also do you think that Anselmi and Scalise played some role in the betrayal of the Gennas and also in some of their eliminations?
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

In addition, $50,000 in 1928, in todays cash is around $700,000; and thats how much money Capone used to send back to NY on monthly basis, especially to the Yale/Masseria clan. The thing is that all of that cash wasnt part from Capone's own investment and procceeding, but instead most of those same procceedings were in fact investments made by various New York Mafia members, in Capone's operations in Chicago. For example, one of those guys who allegedly made a lot of investments in Capones ops, was one Masseria and Luciano ally known as Generoso Del Ducca.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Villain wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:10 am
Antiliar wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:00 am One thing I would add to what Villain wrote is that some of the Gennas, especially Angelo Genna, may have been killed by the North Side (Weiss-Drucci-Moran) gang. Either option is possible.
Thanks. Do you believe that sometimes the Drucci crew acted as a satellite gang for the Mafia, especially in executing contracts? And also do you think that Anselmi and Scalise played some role in the betrayal of the Gennas and also in some of their eliminations?
I can't rule out that the Drucci gang sometimes did hits for the Mafia, but I doubt it. I don't think there was any real cooperation until Aiello and Moran became close allies. Even then, I think at most they might have teamed up on certain hits. For the most part I think each group did its own killings.

Regarding Anselmi and Scalise, I have no evidence that suggests they were involved or not. Just old newspapers and books that speculate.
Confederate
Full Patched

Post by Confederate »

Antiliar wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 3:01 pm
Villain wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:10 am
I can't rule out that the Drucci gang sometimes did hits for the Mafia, but I doubt it. I don't think there was any real cooperation until Aiello and Moran became close allies. Even then, I think at most they might have teamed up on certain hits. For the most part I think each group did its own killings.

Regarding Anselmi and Scalise, I have no evidence that suggests they were involved or not. Just old newspapers and books that speculate.
Those were the two guys that Capone beat to death with a baseball bat in front of a lot of other men at some meeting. Were they members of Capone's Syndicate? Where "exactly" did Anselmi & Scalise fit into the Chicago underworld at this time?
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

I believe - but can't prove - that they were members of the Chicago Mafia who had been friendly with Capone. Giunta was the boss, but subservient to Capone. He tried to get out from Capone's sphere and allegedly tried to have him killed. Frank Rio was told about the scheme, and he told Capone. This is allegedly where Accardo got his nickname.
Confederate
Full Patched

Post by Confederate »

Antiliar wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 5:59 pm I believe - but can't prove - that they were members of the Chicago Mafia who had been friendly with Capone. Giunta was the boss, but subservient to Capone. He tried to get out from Capone's sphere and allegedly tried to have him killed. Frank Rio was told about the scheme, and he told Capone. This is allegedly where Accardo got his nickname.
So it was who Accardo beat Giunta to death with a baseball bat & Capone beat the other two to death with a baseball bat. I'd say Capone & Accardo were big baseball fans. LOL
I remember seeing somewhere a picture of Capone at a baseball game. I think his son was in the picture with him. Also, was it Capone or was it Colosimo who were friendly with that opera singer named Caruso during the 1920's?
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

I use allegedly because we don't know for certain who wielded what. There's no actual evidence of being beaten with baseball bats on their autopsy reports, but it doesn't mean it wasn't part of the overall beatings than ended with them being shot. Mags believes Accardo did use a bat, but that info was passed down to him second or third or fourth hand. Accardo didn't tell him himself. We don't know if Capone took part or just stood back giving the orders.

Capone was a semi-pro baseball player before he moved to Chicago and an avid fan.

I believe Caruso sang at Colosimo's Cafe.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Antiliar wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:51 pm I use allegedly because we don't know for certain who wielded what. There's no actual evidence of being beaten with baseball bats on their autopsy reports, but it doesn't mean it wasn't part of the overall beatings than ended with them being shot.
Thats completely true and i went through this case several times since i have a suspicion that the whole thing might be a myth or maybe it was another or different situation in which two other guys were beaten to death i dunno....on top of that, if you look at the bodies of Giunta, Scalise and Anselmi, you will mostly notice bullet holes and maybe few small bruises, and i also think one of them had his few fingers missing, meaning the victim probably tried to protect himself with his hand from all the bullets....i think they were simply taken for a ride, slapped a little bit and then shot to death...
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Confederate wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 6:14 pm
Antiliar wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 5:59 pm I believe - but can't prove - that they were members of the Chicago Mafia who had been friendly with Capone. Giunta was the boss, but subservient to Capone. He tried to get out from Capone's sphere and allegedly tried to have him killed. Frank Rio was told about the scheme, and he told Capone. This is allegedly where Accardo got his nickname.
So it was who Accardo beat Giunta to death with a baseball bat & Capone beat the other two to death with a baseball bat. I'd say Capone & Accardo were big baseball fans. LOL
I remember seeing somewhere a picture of Capone at a baseball game. I think his son was in the picture with him. Also, was it Capone or was it Colosimo who were friendly with that opera singer named Caruso during the 1920's?
In addition, many members of the Chicago Civic Opera at the time performed at Colosimos.
Confederate
Full Patched

Post by Confederate »

Antiliar wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:51 pm I use allegedly because we don't know for certain who wielded what. There's no actual evidence of being beaten with baseball bats on their autopsy reports, but it doesn't mean it wasn't part of the overall beatings than ended with them being shot. Mags believes Accardo did use a bat, but that info was passed down to him second or third or fourth hand. Accardo didn't tell him himself. We don't know if Capone took part or just stood back giving the orders.

Capone was a semi-pro baseball player before he moved to Chicago and an avid fan.

I've already discussed this with Villain, I was just wondering if you ever watched the "Boardwalk Empire" Series? The first time I saw it was several years ago & didn't pay attention to very many details about it at that time. However, since being on this Forum for almost 3 years, I bought the whole series & watched it again with a more educated perspective. Anyway, just wondering if you ever watched it, even remember it, & what your take was on it. Let's say they portrayed Capone in a "different" type of light, to say the least. lol
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Confederate wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:20 pm
Antiliar wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:51 pm I use allegedly because we don't know for certain who wielded what. There's no actual evidence of being beaten with baseball bats on their autopsy reports, but it doesn't mean it wasn't part of the overall beatings than ended with them being shot. Mags believes Accardo did use a bat, but that info was passed down to him second or third or fourth hand. Accardo didn't tell him himself. We don't know if Capone took part or just stood back giving the orders.

I've already discussed this with Villain, I was just wondering if you ever watched the "Boardwalk Empire" Series? The first time I saw it was several years ago & didn't pay attention to very many details about it at that time. However, since being on this Forum for almost 3 years, I bought the whole series & watched it again with a more educated perspective. Anyway, just wondering if you ever watched it, even remember it, & what your take was on it. Let's say they portrayed Capone in a "different" type of light, to say the least. lol
Never watched it. To be honest, I think if I did watch this series that totally changed facts and history that I might take a bat to my TV. LOL
DPG
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by DPG »

Thanks.
If you think Chicago is confusing, try figuring out St Louis in the same time frame
I get it....first rule of fight club.