Understanding Chicago

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Villain
Filthy Few

Re: Understanding Chicago

Post by Villain »

Dwalin2014 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:14 pm
Villain wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 9:48 pm The reality was that Aiello ordered the hit on Lolordo and I personally believe that the Moran gang worked either for him or with him.
It might be slightly off-topic in this case, but in your opinion, in the Angelo Genna murder in 1925, was the North Side gang working for Aiello too or was it their own initiative?
Genna was eliminated by Lombardo and Aiello, and as a matter of fact, after Gennas demise, Lombardo invited Aiello on Angelos former territory or Taylor St. So Lombardo and Aiello were probably in good relations with the O'Banion gang mainly because they had interests in the same areas. Besides the North Side, the O'Banions also had interests around the west side and northern Cicero, same as the Lombardo/Aiello Mafia in Chicago at the time.
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Dwalin2014
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Dwalin2014 »

Villain wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:22 pm
Dwalin2014 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:14 pm
Villain wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 9:48 pm The reality was that Aiello ordered the hit on Lolordo and I personally believe that the Moran gang worked either for him or with him.
It might be slightly off-topic in this case, but in your opinion, in the Angelo Genna murder in 1925, was the North Side gang working for Aiello too or was it their own initiative?
Genna was eliminated by Lombardo and Aiello, and as a matter of fact, after Gennas demise, Lombardo invited Aiello on Angelos former territory or Taylor St. So Lombardo and Aiello were probably in good relations with the O'Banion gang mainly because they had interests in the same areas. Besides the North Side, the O'Banions also had interests around the west side and northern Cicero, same as the Lombardo/Aiello Mafia in Chicago at the time.
Thanks for the information. But to be honest, it's a little disappointing to learn that in all those cases where a non-mafia group killed a mafia member, they were almost always working for another mafia faction, never on their own initiative. It's as if nobody "dared" to touch the mafia, not even in the underworld, like they didn't have the guts. Even Jack McGurn was killed by his own former allies, even though his murder was mistakingly attributed to Moran's gang.
Confederate
Full Patched

Post by Confederate »

Dwalin2014 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:35 pm Thanks for the information. But to be honest, it's a little disappointing to learn that in all those cases where a non-mafia group killed a mafia member, they were almost always working for another mafia faction, never on their own initiative. It's as if nobody "dared" to touch the mafia, not even in the underworld, like they didn't have the guts.
Not really. Capone killed Aiello on his own initiative. He wasn't scared of the Mafia group in Chicago. If anything, it was the other way around. Aiello needed Moran to try & even get close to toppling Capone. Capone's group was way more powerful than the Unione Siciliana which was the Mafia group at that time. Later, the Outfit simply "absorbed" the Sicilian Mafia group of guys that were left.
" Everything Woke turns to shit".
Confederate
Full Patched

Post by Confederate »

Aiello must have been killed with a machine gun because they removed 59 bullets from his body. I would say Capone made sure he was dead.
Dwalin2014
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Dwalin2014 »

Confederate wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 11:32 pm
Dwalin2014 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:35 pm Thanks for the information. But to be honest, it's a little disappointing to learn that in all those cases where a non-mafia group killed a mafia member, they were almost always working for another mafia faction, never on their own initiative. It's as if nobody "dared" to touch the mafia, not even in the underworld, like they didn't have the guts.
Not really. Capone killed Aiello on his own initiative. He wasn't scared of the Mafia group in Chicago. If anything, it was the other way around. Aiello needed Moran to try & even get close to toppling Capone. Capone's group was way more powerful than the Unione Siciliana which was the Mafia group at that time. Later, the Outfit simply "absorbed" the Sicilian Mafia group of guys that were left.
When I said "mafia", I didn't mean strictly the Unione Siciliana group but Capone's group also. My mistake, I understand that it historically more correct to classify the Unione Siciliana only as the mafia. What I meant is that non-Italian groups didn't do much action on their own, they always had to align themselves with Capone or Aiello.
Confederate
Full Patched

Post by Confederate »

Dwalin2014 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 11:41 pm
When I said "mafia", I didn't mean strictly the Unione Siciliana group but Capone's group also. My mistake, I understand that it historically more correct to classify the Unione Siciliana only as the mafia. What I meant is that non-Italian groups didn't do much action on their own, they always had to align themselves with Capone or Aiello.
Understood. :)
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Dwalin2014 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 11:41 pm When I said "mafia", I didn't mean strictly the Unione Siciliana group but Capone's group also. My mistake, I understand that it historically more correct to classify the Unione Siciliana only as the mafia. What I meant is that non-Italian groups didn't do much action on their own, they always had to align themselves with Capone or Aiello.
Earlier in this monster of a thread we discussed how Joe Bonanno, Nick Gentile, and Augie Maniaci agree that Capone killed Aiello with Masseria's backing after being inducted by Masseria and promoted as a Chicago-based capodecina of Masseria's family. Capone had been paying tribute to Masseria prior to his induction according to these sources. It takes nothing away from Capone's influence and stature, but these were the internal politics of the situation. Interesting to consider the different angles going on inside and outside of Chicago and how they interconnected at the time.

I found it interesting too that the trend for Chicago working closely with influential non-Italians predates the Capone era, with Aiello and the Sicilians working closely with Moran. Much of Chicago appears to be a response to circumstance rather than a designed plan and this appears to have been true for the Sicilians as well as other Italians before and after Capone. The same could be said for many other groups around the country, too, of course, as each US city presented unique circumstances that the local group adapted to (or didn't adapt to, and died out as a result).
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Confederate wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 11:40 pm Aiello must have been killed with a machine gun because they removed 59 bullets from his body. I would say Capone made sure he was dead.
The Aiello hit was orchastrated by Capone members who went through WWI, and i think there were 3 machinegun nests which explains the amount of bullets in his body. Killers like that made Capone the real-life boogeyman
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

B. wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 2:15 am
Dwalin2014 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 11:41 pm When I said "mafia", I didn't mean strictly the Unione Siciliana group but Capone's group also. My mistake, I understand that it historically more correct to classify the Unione Siciliana only as the mafia. What I meant is that non-Italian groups didn't do much action on their own, they always had to align themselves with Capone or Aiello.
Earlier in this monster of a thread we discussed how Joe Bonanno, Nick Gentile, and Augie Maniaci agree that Capone killed Aiello with Masseria's backing after being inducted by Masseria and promoted as a Chicago-based capodecina of Masseria's family. Capone had been paying tribute to Masseria prior to his induction according to these sources. It takes nothing away from Capone's influence and stature, but these were the internal politics of the situation. Interesting to consider the different angles going on inside and outside of Chicago and how they interconnected at the time.

I found it interesting too that the trend for Chicago working closely with influential non-Italians predates the Capone era, with Aiello and the Sicilians working closely with Moran. Much of Chicago appears to be a response to circumstance rather than a designed plan and this appears to have been true for the Sicilians as well as other Italians before and after Capone. The same could be said for many other groups around the country, too, of course, as each US city presented unique circumstances that the local group adapted to (or didn't adapt to, and died out as a result).
It wasnt only the O'Banion/Drucci faction (dont forget that Drucci was a Sicilian) that was in alliance with the Sicilian Mafia at the time, since there were also other Jewish or French factions that followed the same lead but it seems the only difference was that the Sicilians never brought these guys in their own inner workings, while Capone did quite the opposite and maybe that was one of the main reasons for his triumph
Last edited by Villain on Mon May 18, 2020 7:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Dwalin2014 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 11:41 pm
The Roger Touhy gang did a lot of damage to the newly formed Outfit during the early 1930s, meaning they possibly killed more then few made guys
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

Villain wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:07 am It wasnt only the O'Banion/Drucci faction (dont forget that Drucci was a Sicilian) that was in alliance with the Sicilian Mafia at the time, since there were also other Jewish or French factions that followed the same lead but it seems the only difference was that the Sicilians never brought these guys in their own inner workings, while Capone did quite the opposite and maybe that was one of the main reasons for his triumph
There was a French faction in Chicago? You interest me there man! Do you have names to submit to me?
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

motorfab wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:46 am
Villain wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:07 am It wasnt only the O'Banion/Drucci faction (dont forget that Drucci was a Sicilian) that was in alliance with the Sicilian Mafia at the time, since there were also other Jewish or French factions that followed the same lead but it seems the only difference was that the Sicilians never brought these guys in their own inner workings, while Capone did quite the opposite and maybe that was one of the main reasons for his triumph
There was a French faction in Chicago? You interest me there man! Do you have names to submit to me?
Wasnt Louis Alterie aka Leland Varain a French guy? Ill see if i have something about his own crew if there were any other French guys...
motorfab
Full Patched

Post by motorfab »

It's possible. His 2 last names sound definitely French. Thank you in advance Villain
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

Did Chicago ever elect there boss?
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Frank wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:30 am Did Chicago ever elect there boss?
There was a meeting when they ousted Giancana so I believe that they elected Battaglia at the same time