Understanding Chicago

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Snakes
Full Patched

Re: Understanding Chicago

Post by Snakes »

I think that the FBI just figured that Rockford was such a small city that it had to be direct with Chicago, especially by the 80s. It is pretty weird as I have seen Rockford defined by the FBI as a family, an Outfit crew, and finally a "faction" of the Outfit.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

B. wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 4:00 pm
Villain wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:52 am Previously i forgot to tell you that there is a photo of Merlo, Colosimo and Torrio, probably taken right before Colosimos demise in 1920, meaning they were obviously associated with the Mafia in Chicago.

Capone arrived in Chicago in 1919, and story goes that he was brought by Torrio and Gaetano Ricci aka Tony Goebbels. I dont know what period Ricci arrived in Chicago or returned to NY, but he probably returned sometime around the early 1920s, since one of Torrios top guys Robert Vanella returned to NY in 1921.
A lot of interesting stuff in there, including the other info you posted about Esposito and Ricca. Tony Ricci is someone whose name doesn't get mentioned as much as some of his peers, but almost comes across like an earlier version of what has been called the "messaggero" (i.e. liaison between Genovese and Chicago families). He was later described by an informant as the top mafia leader in Miami and though that's not true, it shows his stature carried throughout the country spanning decades. I don't know how formal that "messaggero" position was or what member sources have even mentioned it, but we do see certain individuals in the Genovese family who could have fit this role earlier on. Salvatore Pollaccia and Tony Ricci both come to mind.

The fact that Gentile said Esposito was a member close to Merlo, and then we have this photo of Merlo with Colosimo and Torrio suggests to me that Merlo may have been an important figure in bringing the mainlanders into the Chicago family, or at least he was able to mediate between them and the Sicilians. Coincidentally (?) it is after Merlo's death that we see tension and violence start to escalate between some of these people.

Villain wrote: The only thing i know is that LaMonica allegedly lived at 658 W 31st st, while at the same time Charles English's brother Sam also had huge interests on 31st. Dont know if that means anything to you...
That could def indicate a connection. The reason I brought them up is that I found records of LaMonicas and Inglesias who were intermarried and came to Chicago from the same Sicilian hometown as the mafia members with those surnames. I'm not sure what the exact relation could be between the LaMonica and Inglesias who joined the Chicago mafia, but if they both lived/operated on 31st street that is a good indication they were familiar with each other.
Villain wrote: Good research B, and to tell you the truth this is one of the best threads regarding the Outfit, besides having different thoughts and small conflicts at the beginning. Afterall thats the point of a great discussion by creating opposite opinions at the start, and in the end agreeing and shaking hands like real gentlemen.
Oh thank you, my friend. I appreciate that and I agree -- this thread has exceeded my original expectations and I've learned a ton in the process. Thank you for helping turn this ship in the right direction!

--

Just some random stuff I came across.

The common use of the term "outfit" within different US mafia families:

Not much to add to that, only that I'm always interested in the formalities vs. non-formalities and the protocol of the organizations and Chicago has been an enigma in many ways because of the language they use and protocol they follow (or don't follow). I didn't realize until a couple years ago that the term "outfit" was so common outside of the east coast.

Interesting they put Chicago, Cleveland, and Detroit in together as examples of groups who didn't necessarily honor all of the formal protocol of (for example) east coast groups. I also feel that this explanation for non-members having certain jurisdictional authority equivalent to members is well-stated and definitely describes Chicago, but again it's interesting they place Cleveland and Detroit in with this as well.

Not trying to dig up the ol' non-Italian membership discussion, but this is a great example of how certain Jews were seen in the Cleveland mafia. The source was obviously a non-member but still someone who existed in the Cleveland orbit who believed certain Jews (including our boy Rockman) were actually members. It shows you the stature these individuals had, but we know they weren't actually made members, similar to what we see in Chicago (but taken to the next level there).

--

A couple of other random items.

Maybe Cavita can weigh in, but why would old ties to Chicago prevent Buscemi from becoming boss of Rockford? Was the family concerned about becoming a puppet of Chicago (i.e. Milwaukee)?

Does anyone know if the actual transcript of this discussion is in the online NARA files somewhere? Very interested in examples of Chicago figures discussing or being involved with families outside of the west coast and midwest. There is the Colombo informant who reported that a Chicago representative attended the mid-late 1970s Commission meeting to mediate between the Abbatemarco and DiBella-Persico factions, and earlier we know Giancana was heavily involved in Joe Bonanno's initial dispute with the Commission.

The Philly discussion is of particular interest though as we don't see many, if any, connections between those families aside from Capone's earlier arrest there. We know they would have interacted at high levels, though, as indicated by the conversation referred to in that excerpt.
Thanks for the reply B and also for all of those examples.

To tell you the truth, I have a high opinion of Merlo meaning if he didnt die so early, theres no doubt that the Chicago group was going to be completely traditional family as the ones on the east coast, with the possibility of a sub-group headed by the mainlanders, something similar like the Genoveses. My opinion is that Merlo was the last powerful Sicilian boss who mantained all of the groups in one piece.

I also agree about the "messaggero" thing, with Ricci being probably one of those guys or the main guy, same as Ricca who previously did the same chours for Capone.

Btw I forgot to ask you....what does "gaborgina" or "gobrogina" means? I think that its completely spelled incorrectlly by the feds.

This is a convo between two Chicago Sicilians, one is Giancana and the other is Joe Costello, who in turn was the son of former Sicilian Chicago Heights crew boss Sam Costello or Charles Costello, i dont really remember which one...

Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

It looks like "caporegima." It's like capicola becomes gabagool.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Oh, he's definitely saying capodecina / caporegima. That is a great find. It shows that Joe Costello was a made member (if that's not already known) and that the Chicago family was using the term under Giancana. Later both Nick Calabrese and the Frank Calabrese confirm they used the term "capo" in the 1980s-2000s, so it seems Chicago has always used variations of caporegime / capo alongside terms like "crew boss".

Just for comparison, I believe it was a Detroit informant who told the FBI the boss was called "ugob" (il capo) and "zottogob" (sottocapo). So you can see where the same dialect would make capodecina/regima sound like "gaborgina".

Edit: Or better yet, as Antiliar said: gabagool.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Thanks a lot guys, that clears a lot of stuff.

Its interesting that Costello wasnt aware that Joe Fusco was also a made guy, besides being known for decades as one of the Outfits main players.
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

...in addition, this also might mean that Costello had a crew boss above him who in turn was under LaPorte, which again confirms the territorial boss theory
Confederate
Full Patched

Post by Confederate »

Villain wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 12:49 am ...in addition, this also might mean that Costello had a crew boss above him who in turn was under LaPorte, which again confirms the territorial boss theory
Even old Frank Cullotta said in one of his videos that Chicago (speaking about the past) was divided into 4 large Territories.
" Everything Woke turns to shit".
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Confederate wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 1:00 am
Villain wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 12:49 am ...in addition, this also might mean that Costello had a crew boss above him who in turn was under LaPorte, which again confirms the territorial boss theory
Even old Frank Cullotta said in one of his videos that Chicago (speaking about the past) was divided into 4 large Territories.
I agree
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

LaPorte was a caporegime, though, so he either would have been referring to LaPorte or another caporegime. From that excerpt it sounds like he's talking about the past, too, so could it be a reference to the caporegime before LaPorte took over?

EDIT: I found that transcript and I see that he's saying he has a different captain than Frank LaPorte. So this would suggest that Costello, despite being based in Chicago Heights, did not report to the main CH captain. We can also see this time they gave the word a "ch" sound, so he was probably saying capodecina.

--

Speaking of Fusco, his family is from Termini Imerese and a lot of Chicago guys appear to trace their heritage there:

Giuseppe Annoreno
Frank "Skids" Caruso
Joseph Fusco
Frank Quatrochi
Filippo "Phil" Speciale
Joseph "Black Joe" Amato
Charles DiCaro (maternal side, father from Caltanissetta)
Joseph DiCaro " "
John Formosa
Joseph "Shorty" LaMantia
Samuel Marcello
James Marcello
Michael Marcello

- Sam Marcello's mother (James' grandmother) was an Annoreno.
- Early Chicago / Milwaukee member Joe Caminiti's mother was a LaMantia from Termini Imerese.
- Termini Imerese is located near Caccamo, Ciminna, Bagheria, and other villages that produced many early Chicago mafia figures.

Are there other connections between these names in terms of geography, crews, etc.?
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

B. wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 2:05 am
LaPorte was a caporegime, though, so he either would have been referring to LaPorte or another caporegime. From that excerpt it sounds like he's talking about the past, too, so could it be a reference to the caporegime before LaPorte took over?

EDIT: I found that transcript and I see that he's saying he has a different captain than Frank LaPorte. So this would suggest that Costello, despite being based in Chicago Heights, did not report to the main CH captain. We can also see this time they gave the word a "ch" sound, so he was probably saying capodecina.

--

Speaking of Fusco, his family is from Termini Imerese and a lot of Chicago guys appear to trace their heritage there:

Giuseppe Annoreno
Frank "Skids" Caruso
Joseph Fusco
Frank Quatrochi
Filippo "Phil" Speciale
Joseph "Black Joe" Amato
Charles DiCaro (maternal side, father from Caltanissetta)
Joseph DiCaro " "
John Formosa
Joseph "Shorty" LaMantia
Samuel Marcello
James Marcello
Michael Marcello

- Sam Marcello's mother (James' grandmother) was an Annoreno.
- Early Chicago / Milwaukee member Joe Caminiti's mother was a LaMantia from Termini Imerese.
- Termini Imerese is located near Caccamo, Ciminna, Bagheria, and other villages that produced many early Chicago mafia figures.

Are there other connections between these names in terms of geography, crews, etc.?
Thanks again for the additional info.

Thats what I previously said, meaning Costello's caporegime was probably Ralph Ammirato at the time, the brother of former Chicago Heights overall or territorial boss Jim Ammirato. It is possible that Ralph took over from John Roberto, another guy who in turn was tge brother of the first Heights boss Dom Roberto who was deported during the early 30s.

Look at the situation like this, LaPorte controlled Chicago Heights, Calumet City, Blue Island, Will County, Joliet and northwest Indiana. So during Giancanas reign, he had around 3 or 4 caporegimes and crew bosses, since there was one non-Italian boss. The rest were soldiers and lieutenants, such as Costello.

During the 20s and early 30s there was one old clan in the Calumet City area which also had interests around the 20th Ward and allegedly helped in the elimination of some of the old Sicilian guys such as the Vinci clan from the South Side. Im talking about Joe and John Genero, real name Annoreno, so maybe you should check them out. This group also included one John Minnatti, Frank Costello and Otto Graziano.

John Annoreno was killed in 1931, and his brother Joe in 1935 i think. Two members of the Vinci famy, Joe and Sam continued to work with the Outfit and had close connections to Bruno Roti Sr, Gus Alex and Frank Ferraro.

Also during the late 50s and 60s there were two brothers Steve and Tony Annoreno who worked for Fiore Buccieri in Cicero.

There was a Jimmy Marcello from the 40s, 50s and 60s, and this guy answered to Ross Prio, Sicilian boss from the North Side.

Charles and Joe DiCaro answered to Ralph Pierce from the South Side, and Charlie was Pierce's driver. There was another Joe DiCaro, no relations, who worked for the Chicago Heights mob.

Amato started under the Willie Daddono (Mangano) crew and used to live on Taylor St before going to McHenry County, while Formosa was a top lieutenant for the Indiana crew under LaPorte which was headed first by Pinelli, followed by Morgano, Zizzo and the Gruttadauros.

Edit: i think we can connect the Genero/Annoreno guys with Fusco, Caruso and the DiCaro bros since they all belonged to the old South Side mob. LaMantia also started under Caruso.

Some additional files...

Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Snakes wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 11:07 pm I think that the FBI just figured that Rockford was such a small city that it had to be direct with Chicago, especially by the 80s. It is pretty weird as I have seen Rockford defined by the FBI as a family, an Outfit crew, and finally a "faction" of the Outfit.
Chicago represented their interests on the commission right?

Cavita?
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Villain wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 1:14 pm
Snakes wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 11:07 pm I think that the FBI just figured that Rockford was such a small city that it had to be direct with Chicago, especially by the 80s. It is pretty weird as I have seen Rockford defined by the FBI as a family, an Outfit crew, and finally a "faction" of the Outfit.

Cavita?
I am almost certain they would have but Cavita would know better.
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

Snakes wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 1:23 pm

Cavita?
It was my understanding they were their own family but ended up answering to the outfit at some point. Kind of a weird situation not their own family but not necessarily an outfit crew. Nick calabrese touches on it in his testimony
I agree with phat,I love those old fucks and he's right.we all got some cosa nostra in us.I personnely love the life.I think we on the forum would be the ultimate crew! - camerono
cavita
Full Patched

Post by cavita »

Cavita?
Yes, they definitely had their interests represented by Chicago on the Commission. I do have an FBI file that has circulated around here of an instance in 1960 when the Rockford and Chicago families had to iron out a problem and Joe Zammuto wanted to speak to Giancana about it but he was unavailable. Jack Cerone was filling in his underboss Frank Ferraro about this problem and had to give Ferraro some background on Rockford because he had no clue about them. This situation told the FBI that Rockford and Chicago's interests were separate unless there were major problems that needed to be worked out. Files into the late 60s and early 70s also echoed this but I am hard pressed to find any files between 1973-1980 as the FBI had closed the books on Rockford thinking they were inactive until they realized that was premature and then they started reinvestigating them. By the time 1981 came around it's as if a new group of agents were looking into them and they didn't read up on past FBI reports. They didn't know how to classify the family- Chicago crew, separate family, Sicilian faction, etc.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

cavita wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 6:39 pm

Cavita?
Yes, they definitely had their interests represented by Chicago on the Commission. I do have an FBI file that has circulated around here of an instance in 1960 when the Rockford and Chicago families had to iron out a problem and Joe Zammuto wanted to speak to Giancana about it but he was unavailable. Jack Cerone was filling in his underboss Frank Ferraro about this problem and had to give Ferraro some background on Rockford because he had no clue about them. This situation told the FBI that Rockford and Chicago's interests were separate unless there were major problems that needed to be worked out. Files into the late 60s and early 70s also echoed this but I am hard pressed to find any files between 1973-1980 as the FBI had closed the books on Rockford thinking they were inactive until they realized that was premature and then they started reinvestigating them. By the time 1981 came around it's as if a new group of agents were looking into them and they didn't read up on past FBI reports. They didn't know how to classify the family- Chicago crew, separate family, Sicilian faction, etc.
They may have been aware that they were a separate family at some point but probably just assumed that they had been absorbed by the Outfit. In 1984 they were described as a "branch of the Chicago LCN Family," which is odd because there are definitely other sources at the time who identified them as a separate family. This may be a misinterpretation of the relationship the Outfit had with the other Midwest families, wherein they were technically independent but subservient to Chicago in the larger picture.