Joe Colombo & Carlo Gambino

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Pierino1978
Associate

Joe Colombo & Carlo Gambino

Post by Pierino1978 »

Colombo was supposed to have been appointed to boss of the then profaci family after alerting Gambino to the hit put on him and other commission members.

I thought it was protocol for captains to vote in a boss similar to the sham vote for Gotti after he hit Castellano. So how did this go down ? Did Carlo have that much power that he could force the entire columbo family upper echolons to accept Colombo even tho there where far better candidates to take over after magliccho died ?!?
Grouchy Sinatra
Full Patched

Re: Joe Colombo & Carlo Gambino

Post by Grouchy Sinatra »

I would guess considering how much turmoil the Profaci/Colombo family had been in, it wasn't hard for Carlo to do. A divided group is easier to infiltrate than a united one. Makes you wonder what Carlo's role was in the whole Gallo situation, considering his "wily" history.
Glick told author Nicholas Pileggi that he expected to meet a banker-type individual, but instead, he found Alvin Baron to be a gruff, tough-talking cigar-chomping Teamster who greeted him with, “What the fuck do you want?”
Pierino1978
Associate

Post by Pierino1978 »

Does Scarpa's 302's from the period shine any light on how Gambino achieved it ?!
don-shunter
Straightened out

Post by don-shunter »

I wonder if any of the older capos/members opposed Joe's ascension or if they were made promises of more autonomy with their crews if they accepted him as boss?
Pierino1978
Associate

Post by Pierino1978 »

don-shunter wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 7:17 am I wonder if any of the older capos/members opposed Joe's ascension or if they were made promises of more autonomy with their crews if they accepted him as boss?
Some deal must have been done - if my memory serves me right there was no murders around the time of any of the big players...
MichaelGiovanni
Straightened out

Post by MichaelGiovanni »

don-shunter wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 7:17 am I wonder if any of the older capos/members opposed Joe's ascension or if they were made promises of more autonomy with their crews if they accepted him as boss?
Someone was recorded on a bug saying that Colombo was nothing more than a bust out guy. Was it on the Gyp Dicarlo tapes? Not sure exactly who said it but I think it was from someone in another family.
Nice rug ya got here kid...it’d be great for a craps game
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

In the Scarpa material available on the FBI vault he says that Colombo was formally announced as the new Profaci boss at a meeting in 1964 attended by all of the Profaci family captains and representatives from I think seven other LCN families, including Detroit
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
moneyman
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by moneyman »

Around this time wasn’t Joe Bonnano causing a stir with the commission trying to set up rackets in California and Toronto? Perhaps Gambino and the commission wanted a safe pick for the Profaci family boss given how much trouble Bonnano was causing them.
Last edited by moneyman on Fri May 08, 2020 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

Besides Colombo being close to Gambino, he was being backed up by The Commission for exposing the plot. No matter who the Profaci Captains wanted to vote for, they would never go against The Commission. That is if they wanted to live.
Benandjosh
Associate

Post by Benandjosh »

What role did Tommy Lucchese play in all of this. He was Gambinos key ally on the commission. After discovering on here Gambino wasn't officially named Head of the family until a couple of years after Anastasia was killed, he probably needed Lucchese's influence to be named top dog. Seems to me Lucchese had a lot of power and influence behind the scenes for decades. Maybe Gambino was his puppet lol.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Benandjosh wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:00 am Seems to me Lucchese had a lot of power and influence behind the scenes for decades. Maybe Gambino was his puppet lol.

Joe Bonanno actually alludes to that in his book.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

Its been written that Lucchese was the most powerful and or influential NY Boss in that time period.
Benandjosh
Associate

Post by Benandjosh »

After reading all the information on this site, I just dont buy that Gambino was the king maker. All the books used to state as fact that Gambino picked Colombo as boss of that family and Funzi as boss of the Genovese. Now i think we can rule out any influence he had on the Genovese and that they sorted their boss situation internally. I still find the story of Gambino rewarding Colombo for basically betraying his boss, somewhat unbelievable. Wouldn't the Profaci capos have rebuffed this.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Frank wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:31 am Its been written that Lucchese was the most powerful and or influential NY Boss in that time period.
For what its worth...the Outfit also respected him a lot
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
don-shunter
Straightened out

Post by don-shunter »

I've always viewed Lucchese and Gambino as a partnership with Lucchese the senior partner and Gambino the junior. Both powerful and respected but Lucchese had longevity as a boss whereas Gambino was new to the leadership. With Luccheses death Gambino is the top guy.