Nick Gentile's Book/Castellamarese War

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

aleksandrored
Full Patched

Re: Nick Gentile's Book/Castellamarese War

Post by aleksandrored »

thekiduknow wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:22 pm
aleksandrored wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:57 pm I thought the war was actually another rebellion against masseria that was being dictator at the time as boss of bosses, actually starting in 1928 with D'aquila's death and ending with Maranzano's death and the creation of the commission, so if that's right i believe 40 is an exaggerated number and 14 would be the most correct.
Well, according to Gentile, Masseria put a death sentence against the Castellamarese faction which lead to the outbreak of the war, not unlike when D'Aquila passed death sentences against Morello and Masseria. Masseria then killed Milazzao, who was from Castellammare, which Maranzano used to rile support for his rebellion, not D'Aquila's. So, I don't think you can count D'Aquila's murder as an official part of the war, given that he wasn't part of the Castellamarese faction.
so what I saw is correct? was the war actually a castellamarese clan rebellion against masseria that began after the deaths of Gaetano Reina and Gaspare Milazzo?
thekiduknow
Full Patched

Post by thekiduknow »

aleksandrored wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:06 pm
thekiduknow wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:22 pm
aleksandrored wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:57 pm I thought the war was actually another rebellion against masseria that was being dictator at the time as boss of bosses, actually starting in 1928 with D'aquila's death and ending with Maranzano's death and the creation of the commission, so if that's right i believe 40 is an exaggerated number and 14 would be the most correct.
Well, according to Gentile, Masseria put a death sentence against the Castellamarese faction which lead to the outbreak of the war, not unlike when D'Aquila passed death sentences against Morello and Masseria. Masseria then killed Milazzao, who was from Castellammare, which Maranzano used to rile support for his rebellion, not D'Aquila's. So, I don't think you can count D'Aquila's murder as an official part of the war, given that he wasn't part of the Castellamarese faction.
so what I saw is correct? was the war actually a castellamarese clan rebellion against masseria that began after the deaths of Gaetano Reina and Gaspare Milazzo?
That is my understanding yes
Etna
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by Etna »

The fact that it's a rebellion portrays the image that NYC was 1 family - or I guess its the rebellion against the boss of bosses.
JIGGS
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by JIGGS »

thekiduknow wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:01 pm I think Valachi gave the figure during his Senate testimony, and the Valachi Papers book also gives the 60 deaths figure.

I forgot about Pinzolo, he's a definite causality and his absence from Critchley's list is interesting.

I'm glad you bring up DeBellis, Mione and Casteranos deaths, as it bring up an interesting question I've always thought about, when does the war actually end? Is it with the death of Masseria, or with Maranzano only a few months later? Whether we think of the war as a fight between the outcasted Castellemarese and the dominate Mafia groups , or a fight between two bosses over the 'Boss of Bosses' position, it would make sense have the death of Maranzano as an end point in my opinion.

I would love to hear others opinions about the war.
HELLO!

There was some curious hits post-joe boss & the maranzani that point to a faction of the under world not falling in line with the new order. Even though they could be isolated. One of the ones that makes me think there was still post-war war activity was the 1937 murder of the brother of joe the boss. This came out in the papers. An earlier event in 1932 where a bunch a the big jews (lepke, shapiro, ben siegel, and others) were meeting in some railroad flat and some greeseball tossed a lited stick of dynamite down the chimny and them guys high taled it out of there. I cant remember if the tnt exploded or if it was a dud but that info is on the inside of a report of the j. Edgar Hoovers.

JIGGS
Lupara
Full Patched

Re: RE: Re: Nick Gentile's Book/Castellamarese War

Post by Lupara »

thekiduknow wrote:
Lupara wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:57 pm Lists complied by forum members have been posted before on this board or its predecessor.

On that list there were 20-25 murders related to the conflict in total.
Do you have a link? I searched for "Castellammare/Castellammarese War" in the forum search and not much came up.
The list was as I remember compiled by Pogo and Hairyknuckles. If it's not on this forum it was posted on its predecessor. But seeing that Pogo keeps up with all the names and numbers he probably still has it at his disposal.
aleksandrored
Full Patched

Post by aleksandrored »

Does anyone have the book in pdf? Even if it's in Italian, it's closer to my language, maybe I can understand and translate some parts.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

aleksandrored wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:54 pm Does anyone have the book in pdf? Even if it's in Italian, it's closer to my language, maybe I can understand and translate some parts.
Nope. Hasn't been published as pdf or ebook.
aleksandrored
Full Patched

Post by aleksandrored »

Antiliar wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:50 pm
aleksandrored wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:54 pm Does anyone have the book in pdf? Even if it's in Italian, it's closer to my language, maybe I can understand and translate some parts.
Nope. Hasn't been published as pdf or ebook.
I understand, thanks, I'll have to add money to buy the book. :D
matteogalante38
Associate

Post by matteogalante38 »

Does anywhere know where Gentile's memoirs might be available for purchase (or borrow) in 2020?! I haven't been able to locate it anywhere. I'd love to check it out and would pay someone to borrow it...