DiCarlo / Pieri -- Youngstown affiliation?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

BarrettM
Associate

Re: DiCarlo / Pieri -- Youngstown affiliation?

Post by BarrettM »

A couple years ago I read the DiCarlo books. Wonderfully written.

How big was DiCarlo? It seems he wasn't big enough to remain Magaddino's Underboss, he was ran out of town in Youngstown. Was he just a street guy, a low level capo who got by on who his father was? The book (and my own common sense) did not explain that.

I've also been wondering, I've heard between the mob's golden era (20's-60's) Magaddino's Underboss was at various points, nobody at all, Angelo Acquisto, John Montana, Joe DiCarlo, Sam Pieri, and Federico Randaccio. Is there a chart or timeline someone has made?
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

BarrettM wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:26 am A couple years ago I read the DiCarlo books. Wonderfully written.

How big was DiCarlo? It seems he wasn't big enough to remain Magaddino's Underboss, he was ran out of town in Youngstown. Was he just a street guy, a low level capo who got by on who his father was? The book (and my own common sense) did not explain that.

I've also been wondering, I've heard between the mob's golden era (20's-60's) Magaddino's Underboss was at various points, nobody at all, Angelo Acquisto, John Montana, Joe DiCarlo, Sam Pieri, and Federico Randaccio. Is there a chart or timeline someone has made?
Very significant in the National scene, especially the early days of Black Hand and through the the 20’s-50’s. He was Public Enemy #1 at some point, attracted a lot of attention
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Thanks for the info. Tronolone's induction/transfer (not sure which) into Cleveland would seem to have involved either a Florida connection or through his ties to DiCarlo in Youngstown. Based on this info about Pieri belonging to a non-Buffalo family, I'm thinking Tronlone's Cleveland connection came through DiCarlo-Pieri.

I've never seen confirmation that John Simone or Tronolone were made members in Buffalo before leaving for other families. It wouldn't surprise me if they were, I just haven't' seen confirmation.
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

B. wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:18 am Thanks for the info. Tronolone's induction/transfer (not sure which) into Cleveland would seem to have involved either a Florida connection or through his ties to DiCarlo in Youngstown. Based on this info about Pieri belonging to a non-Buffalo family, I'm thinking Tronlone's Cleveland connection came through DiCarlo-Pieri.

I've never seen confirmation that John Simone or Tronolone were made members in Buffalo before leaving for other families. It wouldn't surprise me if they were, I just haven't' seen confirmation.
One theory I have had is since Tronolone was "extremely" close to Tony Salerno and the Genovese Family represented Cleveland on the Commission, after Lonardo flipped, could Salerno and the Genovese Family implemented Tronolone into the role?
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
Stroccos
Full Patched

Post by Stroccos »

JCB1977 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:05 pm
B. wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:18 am Thanks for the info. Tronolone's induction/transfer (not sure which) into Cleveland would seem to have involved either a Florida connection or through his ties to DiCarlo in Youngstown. Based on this info about Pieri belonging to a non-Buffalo family, I'm thinking Tronlone's Cleveland connection came through DiCarlo-Pieri.

One theory I have had is since Tronolone was "extremely" close to Tony Salerno and the Genovese Family represented Cleveland on the Commission, after Lonardo flipped, could Salerno and the Genovese Family implemented Tronolone into the role?
He was consigliere and the last ranking member alive And or active . I think he was appointed boss once lonardo was convicted , more or less Cleveland become a open city once jack went away .

The only thing Cleveland had going for it the would interest New York was the unions . Tronolone was appointed boss to control Jackie presser ,
"if he's such A sports wizard , whys he tending bar ?" Nicky Scarfo
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Stroccos wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:16 pm

He was consigliere and the last ranking member alive And or active . I think he was appointed boss once lonardo was convicted , more or less Cleveland become a open city once jack went away .

The only thing Cleveland had going for it the would interest New York was the unions . Tronolone was appointed boss to control Jackie presser ,
Wasn't Rockman's job and Tony Milano's job to control Presser and the Unions? Plus, Lib was still alive, right?

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

I'm sure there was a relationship there. Prior to becoming part of the Genovese administration Salerno spent a significant amount of time in Florida, dating back to when he was a liaison for Michael Coppola who retired there. At one point the FBI believed Salerno was operating primarily out of Florida and expected him to stay there. The mafia members who lived (part- or full-time) in Florida had so much contact with each other it wouldn't be a surprise if Salerno and Tronlone formed a relationship there.
Stroccos
Full Patched

Post by Stroccos »

JCB1977 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:27 pm

Wasn't Rockman's job and Tony Milano's job to control Presser and the Unions? Plus, Lib was still alive, right?
Milano was dead by then ,
Lib was in jail

It was rockmans job but since presser was going to be teamster president he had to answer direct to the mob because with our salenro presser couldn’t get it
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

Stroccos wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:36 pm
JCB1977 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:27 pm

Milano was dead by then ,
Lib was in jail

It was rockmans job but since presser was going to be teamster president he had to answer direct to the mob because with our salenro presser couldn’t get it
My bad, Tony died in 1976 or around that year

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

October 17, 1963 The Salem News

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

July 1, 1958 The Evening Review

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
Stroccos
Full Patched

Post by Stroccos »

I happen to look through my notes last night and notice we were trying to figure out who the name was on this Cleveland chart the government produced for the valachi hearings In the 80’s
The name is cut off and hard to make out
I believe it could be Sam DiCarlo
Only copy I could find Of it hard to see , so if that’s in fact Sam , the fbi at least had him in Cleveland
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

Yes, looking at I concur, looks like Sam DiCarlo, which is interesting and I wonder if it speaks to a larger trend of DiCarlo affiliation with CL?
FriendofFamily
Full Patched

Post by FriendofFamily »

John Scalish who operated Buckeye Cigarette Vending Machine Company. He had machines all over Northeast Ohio - every bar, bowling alley, restaurant - you name it - it was there. Especially in the 1960's.
Know which Game to Play
Stroccos
Full Patched

Post by Stroccos »

Chris Christie wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 4:23 am Yes, looking at I concur, looks like Sam DiCarlo, which is interesting and I wonder if it speaks to a larger trend of DiCarlo affiliation with CL?

I think it something worth looking into
So did DiCarlo retire to fl as well ?
I also found another buffalo guy who was allegedly made in Cleveland Charles casa