DiCarlo / Pieri -- Youngstown affiliation?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

DiCarlo / Pieri -- Youngstown affiliation?

Post by B. »

Does anyone know if Joseph DiCarlo, Joseph Pieri, and other members of that faction transferred their membership from Buffalo to Cleveland or Pittsburgh while they were living in Youngstown?

In a taped conversation between Stefano Magaddino, Fred Randaccio, and Sam Pieri, Pieri tells Magaddino about a business opportunity his brother Joseph in Youngstown wants to get involved in and brings it up to make sure it doesn't step on Buffalo's toes. Randaccio says they can do whatever they want in Youngstown as long as they don't come to Buffalo and infringe on anything there.

Magaddino then tells Sam that he doesn't "give a damn" what Joseph Pieri does, but Joseph Pieri must get approval from "his own rapparesentante" (boss) when he does something in Youngstown. Sam Pieri says that Joseph knows this, but apparently wanted to make sure he wasn't stepping on any toes because of a past issue in Buffalo where the Pieris were caught up in something DiCarlo had instigated. In contrast, Magaddino says that Sam Pieri must get approval from Magaddino before he does anything.

The conversation clearly suggests Joseph Pieri belonged to another "rappresentante" in Youngstown, not Magaddino/Buffalo, which would be a sign that Joe DiCarlo and others may have as well. Years later, we know Pieri would end up back in the Buffalo family and become consigliere. Has anyone come across anything about this?
Stroccos
Full Patched

Re: DiCarlo / Pieri -- Youngstown affiliation?

Post by Stroccos »

B. wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:28 pm Does anyone know if Joseph DiCarlo, Joseph Pieri, and other members of that faction transferred their membership from Buffalo to Cleveland or Pittsburgh while they were living in Youngstown?

In a taped conversation between Stefano Magaddino, Fred Randaccio, and Sam Pieri, Pieri tells Magaddino about a business opportunity his brother Joseph in Youngstown wants to get involved in and brings it up to make sure it doesn't step on Buffalo's toes. Randaccio says they can do whatever they want in Youngstown as long as they don't come to Buffalo and infringe on anything there.

Magaddino then tells Sam that he doesn't "give a damn" what Joseph Pieri does, but Joseph Pieri must get approval from "his own rapparesentante" (boss) when he does something in Youngstown. Sam Pieri says that Joseph knows this, but apparently wanted to make sure he wasn't stepping on any toes because of a past issue in Buffalo where the Pieris were caught up in something DiCarlo had instigated. In contrast, Magaddino says that Sam Pieri must get approval from Magaddino before he does anything.

The conversation clearly suggests Joseph Pieri belonged to another "rappresentante" in Youngstown, not Magaddino/Buffalo, which would be a sign that Joe DiCarlo and others may have as well. Years later, we know Pieri would end up back in the Buffalo family and become consigliere. Has anyone come across anything about this?
What year was the conversation ?
I read that on mf before but it seemed more of someone’s recalling the conversion then a wire tap

I have a old a chart that had some people all reporting to Pete Licavoli
"if he's such A sports wizard , whys he tending bar ?" Nicky Scarfo
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Stroccos wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:56 pm
B. wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:28 pm Does anyone know if Joseph DiCarlo, Joseph Pieri, and other members of that faction transferred their membership from Buffalo to Cleveland or Pittsburgh while they were living in Youngstown?

I read that on mf before but it seemed more of someone’s recalling the conversion then a wire tap

This was 1963. You may have seen the FBI summary, though this was the actual transcript of the recording. Here is where he mentions Joe Pieri having "his own rapparesentante" he must get permission from:

You might be onto something with Pete Licavoli. Sam Pieri says when he got out of prison, he requested underboss Fred Randaccio's permission to go visit his brother Joseph in Youngstown. After receiving permission, Pieri was told to go to Detroit and deliver a message to "Pete" during this trip, possibly before he visited his brother. Pieri says he didn't expect to have to deliver a message to Detroit when he went to visit his brother, which prompts Magaddino to explain the problems going on in Youngstown at that time. It sounds like Randaccio asked Sam Pieri to check in with "Pete" in Detroit before he traveled to Youngstown because of how volatile the situation was there.

Looks like Joseph Pieri (and presumably Joe DiCarlo) may have transferred membership to Detroit while living in Youngstown. That would explain why they had a different rappresentante and also why Randaccio instructed Sam Pieri to check in with "Pete" in Detroit before meeting up with his brother in Youngstown.
Stroccos
Full Patched

Post by Stroccos »

B. wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:38 pm
Stroccos wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:56 pm

This was 1963. You may have seen the FBI summary, though this was the actual transcript of the recording. Here is where he mentions Joe Pieri having "his own rapparesentante" he must get permission from:

You might be onto something with Pete Licavoli. Sam Pieri says when he got out of prison, he requested underboss Fred Randaccio's permission to go visit his brother Joseph in Youngstown. After receiving permission, Pieri was told to go to Detroit and deliver a message to "Pete" during this trip, possibly before he visited his brother. Pieri says he didn't expect to have to deliver a message to Detroit when he went to visit his brother, which prompts Magaddino to explain the problems going on in Youngstown at that time. It sounds like Randaccio asked Sam Pieri to check in with "Pete" in Detroit before he traveled to Youngstown because of how volatile the situation was there.

Looks like Joseph Pieri (and presumably Joe DiCarlo) may have transferred membership to Detroit while living in Youngstown. That would explain why they had a different rappresentante and also why Randaccio instructed Sam Pieri to check in with "Pete" in Detroit before meeting up with his brother in Youngstown.
well buffalo reaches out to Detroit ( peter licavoli ?) to see whats going on in Youngstown after the war that has been going on, as Detroit had some interests there as well
now that I found my notes
Joe pieri has been listed as being with the Cleveland crew in Youngstown reporting to Jack licavoli and being associated with Tony delsanter
Joe pieri was busted with Ron carrabias crew in 1964 in Youngstown ,

I remeber leaving Joe Pieri off the 1965 Cleveland chart we made because i couldnt confirm he was actually with Cleveland , I figured he was just working in Youngstown handling some of decarlos interests while he was in jail. but with that wiretap its almost certsain he was either with Detroit or Cleveland

from what I understand after the bombing war the city was divided into four shares regarding vending and gambling machine rackets ,
1. Ron carabbia 25 percent ( Cleveland backed )

2. Vincent prato 25 percent ( Pittsburgh backed )

3. Cleveland family 25 percent

4. Pittsburgh family 25 percent
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

I saw Pieri on the list of Youngstown mafia members said to report to Jack Licavoli, but some Pittsburgh-Youngstown guys were also included on the same list and the source(s) seemed to lump all of the Sicilian guys in Youngstown into the same group. It said they all reported to Joe DiCarlo in the 1940s before he went to prison. This all seems to be based more on association than affiliation.

This all came up because I'm interested in the roots of Buffalo's different factions... I've always seen the DiCarlo-Pieris referred to as Buffalo members operating in Youngstown, though it def look like they transferred to another family.

Thanks for the help, Stroccos.
IrishDave
Straightened out

Post by IrishDave »

Didn't one of the Naples brothers work for Buffalo?
Stroccos
Full Patched

Post by Stroccos »

B. wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:42 pm I saw Pieri on the list of Youngstown mafia members said to report to Jack Licavoli, but some Pittsburgh-Youngstown guys were also included on the same list and the source(s) seemed to lump all of the Sicilian guys in Youngstown into the same group. It said they all reported to Joe DiCarlo in the 1940s before he went to prison. This all seems to be based more on association than affiliation.

This all came up because I'm interested in the roots of Buffalo's different factions... I've always seen the DiCarlo-Pieris referred to as Buffalo members operating in Youngstown, though it def look like they transferred to another family.

Was joe Pieri for sure made in 1963 ?
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Stroccos wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:43 pm
B. wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:42 pm I saw Pieri on the list of Youngstown mafia members said to report to Jack Licavoli, but some Pittsburgh-Youngstown guys were also included on the same list and the source(s) seemed to lump all of the Sicilian guys in Youngstown into the same group. It said they all reported to Joe DiCarlo in the 1940s before he went to prison. This all seems to be based more on association than affiliation.

You know, I'm not sure. He's included as a member on some FBI lists by that time but I haven't seen a direct source say "Joseph Pieri is an LCN member."
Stroccos
Full Patched

Post by Stroccos »

B. wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:56 pm
Stroccos wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:43 pm

You know, I'm not sure. He's included as a member on some FBI lists by that time but I haven't seen a direct source say "Joseph Pieri is an LCN member."
i had the same conclusion about people be grouped by assoication ,
B, was Joseph Pieri living in Youngstown when DeCarlo was there ?
JCB1977
Filthy Few

Post by JCB1977 »

IrishDave wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:40 pm Didn't one of the Naples brothers work for Buffalo?
It was reported that Sandy Naples was Buffalo but he was definitely Pittsburgh
"I figure I’m gonna have to do about 6000 years before I get accepted into heaven. And 6000 years is nothing in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It’s like a couple of days here."

-Pauly Walnuts, RIP
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Youngstown is described in some reports as part of Buffalo's territory alongside Buffalo/NF, Rochester, Utica, Erie, and Ontario, but the Pieri conversation made it sound like Magaddino either didn't want to or couldn't exercise much authority there. I'd be curious if Buffalo had representation there outside of the DiCarlo-Pieri group, because it's looking like that group reported to a different family.
Angelo Santino
Filthy Few

Post by Angelo Santino »

B. wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:10 pm Youngstown is described in some reports as part of Buffalo's territory alongside Buffalo/NF, Rochester, Utica, Erie, and Ontario, but the Pieri conversation made it sound like Magaddino either didn't want to or couldn't exercise much authority there. I'd be curious if Buffalo had representation there outside of the DiCarlo-Pieri group, because it's looking like that group reported to a different family.
Cleveland? Doubt it would be Pittsburgh.
Stroccos
Full Patched

Post by Stroccos »

Chris Christie wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:44 pm
B. wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:10 pm Youngstown is described in some reports as part of Buffalo's territory alongside Buffalo/NF, Rochester, Utica, Erie, and Ontario, but the Pieri conversation made it sound like Magaddino either didn't want to or couldn't exercise much authority there. I'd be curious if Buffalo had representation there outside of the DiCarlo-Pieri group, because it's looking like that group reported to a different family.
Cleveland? Doubt it would be Pittsburgh.
either celveland or detroit
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

I am leaning toward Detroit, as Sam Pieri was ordered by his underboss to check in with "Pete" (Licavoli?) in Detroit before meeting up with Joe Pieri in Youngstown. Pieri seemed put off by this, but the Buffalo leaders explained that the extra protocol was because of the conflict in Youngstown. Stroccos' comment earlier made me do a second take and Detroit looks like a good bet.