News from Italy

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Amershire_Ed
Full Patched

Re: News from Italy

Post by Amershire_Ed »

I know there are Ndrangheta members living in the United States, but what is keeping them from making a larger footprint here?
srg16
Honorary Member

Post by srg16 »

Amershire_Ed wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:34 pm I know there are Ndrangheta members living in the United States, but what is keeping them from making a larger footprint here?
To be honest, its not as easy to buy the government here. The Ndrangheta is one the most richest and connected organization in the world. We hardly hear about them because they keep a very low low profile.
mafiastudent
Full Patched

Post by mafiastudent »

https://globalinitiative.net/headless-c ... ddit_mafia

Headless Cosa Nostra seeks new capo
Italian law-enforcement efforts, the presence of new, foreign criminal networks in Sicily and internal instability have weakened the Sicilian Cosa Nostra as its bosses try to reorganize the mafia group.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

srg16 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:00 pm
Amershire_Ed wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:34 pm I know there are Ndrangheta members living in the United States, but what is keeping them from making a larger footprint here?
To be honest, its not as easy to buy the government here. The Ndrangheta is one the most richest and connected organization in the world. We hardly hear about them because they keep a very low low profile.
The Ndrangheta powerbase is in Europe, and to a lesser extent, Canada and Australia. They don't have the proximity and national infrastructure in the U.S. like the Mexicans do.
All roads lead to New York.
Amershire_Ed
Full Patched

Post by Amershire_Ed »

That makes sense. I saw an interview with an Italian prosecutor and he said the Ndrangheta were able to infiltrate various levels of government in ways that Cosa Nostra wasn’t.
srg16
Honorary Member

Post by srg16 »

Amershire_Ed wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:33 pm
That makes sense. I saw an interview with an Italian prosecutor and he said the Ndrangheta were able to infiltrate various levels of government in ways that Cosa Nostra wasn’t.
For sure, the Ndrangheta is definitely way more disciplined when it comes to keeping a low profile. Especially with doing hits. I mean the Italian government didn't even recognize them as a "mafia" until 2010. The Italian government just keeps hitting the Cosa Nostra year after year and leaving the Ndrangheta to get stronger and stronger. With that being said, they will never be big in the Americas. Like previous posters said they do not have the reach. Cosa Nostra in Sicily and the USA should take lessons from these guys on keeping a low profile.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

srg16 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:29 amI mean the Italian government didn't even recognize them as a "mafia" until 2010.
Not sure where you got that.
The Italian government just keeps hitting the Cosa Nostra year after year and leaving the Ndrangheta to get stronger and stronger.
You can go back over the past several years and see regular round ups of the Ndrnagheta as well.
srg16
Honorary Member

Post by srg16 »

Wiseguy wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:12 am
srg16 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:29 amI mean the Italian government didn't even recognize them as a "mafia" until 2010.
The Italian government just keeps hitting the Cosa Nostra year after year and leaving the Ndrangheta to get stronger and stronger.
You can go back over the past several years and see regular round ups of the Ndrnagheta as well.
Well of course since coming to light in 2010, the anti mafia prosecutors will now focus on them just as much as Cosa Nostra
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

srg16 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:15 am
Wiseguy wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:12 am
Well of course since coming to light in 2010, the anti mafia prosecutors will now focus on them just as much as Cosa Nostra
Since coming to light in 2010? Where are you getting this? I asked you before and the fact you haven't answered tell me you don't have one. The Italian government has known about, recognized, and prosecuted the 'Ndrdangheta for decades.
srg16
Honorary Member

Post by srg16 »

I said recognized them as a mafia type organization. Obviously they just didn't appear in 2010. They've been around since Cosa Nostra but havent been in the limelight like CN.

https://www.thelocal.it/20190709/meet-t ... rian-mafia

"Although it was only recently categorised as a mafia in Italian law in 2010, the ’Ndrangheta has been around for as long as its well-known sister group, the Sicilian Cosa Nostra."

"Much of what we know about the ’Ndrangheta came to light in 2010, when Operation Crimine resulted in the arrest of 305 of its members. In the subsequent court trial, anti-mafia prosecutors proved that clans in the province of the Calabrian capital, Reggio Calabria, were coordinating with chambers of control in Canada, Australia and the north of Italy."

"The fact is, the misconception of the ’Ndrangheta as a single organisation is likely to work to the advantage of such groups. By adopting these behaviours, they can invoke the ’Ndrangheta’s formidable international reputation to exploit weak political systems, invest in new ventures and grow."

"The name first entered the public consciousness during the 1980s and 90s, when the ’Ndrangheta carried out a series of kidnappings across Italy, in what was one of the bloodiest chapters of Calabrian history."

Like I said theyve been around, out of the limelight while CN got all the attention. Now the Italian government is really putting more resources on the 'Ndrangheta
Amershire_Ed
Full Patched

Post by Amershire_Ed »

The Duisburg Massacre was July of 2007. That’s what essentially made them a household name in Europe and worldwide. One of the BBC reporters than has reported on Ndrangheta said most Italians didn’t even know how to pronounce the name at that point, let alone knew who they were. The government knew who they were but they weren’t in the collective conscious of the Italian people yet. Not like Cosa Nostra.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

srg16 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:54 pm I said recognized them as a mafia type organization. Obviously they just didn't appear in 2010. They've been around since Cosa Nostra but havent been in the limelight like CN.

"Although it was only recently categorised as a mafia in Italian law in 2010, the ’Ndrangheta has been around for as long as its well-known sister group, the Sicilian Cosa Nostra."

"Much of what we know about the ’Ndrangheta came to light in 2010, when Operation Crimine resulted in the arrest of 305 of its members. In the subsequent court trial, anti-mafia prosecutors proved that clans in the province of the Calabrian capital, Reggio Calabria, were coordinating with chambers of control in Canada, Australia and the north of Italy."

"The fact is, the misconception of the ’Ndrangheta as a single organisation is likely to work to the advantage of such groups. By adopting these behaviours, they can invoke the ’Ndrangheta’s formidable international reputation to exploit weak political systems, invest in new ventures and grow."

"The name first entered the public consciousness during the 1980s and 90s, when the ’Ndrangheta carried out a series of kidnappings across Italy, in what was one of the bloodiest chapters of Calabrian history."

Like I said theyve been around, out of the limelight while CN got all the attention. Now the Italian government is really putting more resources on the 'Ndrangheta
I"m not sure what technical categorization this article is referring to but obviously the Italian government and law enforcement has long been aware of, and recognized, the Ndrangheta as an organized crime group similar to the Cosa Nostra. The comments about new info coming to light in 2010 dealt with the organizational make up of the Ndrngheta and how it was more hierarchical than previously thought.
Amershire_Ed wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:24 pm The Duisburg Massacre was July of 2007. That’s what essentially made them a household name in Europe and worldwide. One of the BBC reporters than has reported on Ndrangheta said most Italians didn’t even know how to pronounce the name at that point, let alone knew who they were. The government knew who they were but they weren’t in the collective conscious of the Italian people yet. Not like Cosa Nostra.
I'm not sure the Ndrangheta is a household name like the Mafia. The 2007 shootings in Germany certainly put a spotlight on them but the idea that it's existence was some revelation to the Italian government or Italian people just isn't true.
Amershire_Ed
Full Patched

Post by Amershire_Ed »

I know the Italian authorities had been under the impression for a long time that the Ndrangheta had a more horizontal structure—similar to the Camorra. But just recently, within the last several years, they realized they have leadership roles and positions that are more similar to Cosa Nostra, which they were taken aback by.
srg16
Honorary Member

Post by srg16 »

Wiseguy wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:35 pm
srg16 wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:54 pm I said recognized them as a mafia type organization. Obviously they just didn't appear in 2010. They've been around since Cosa Nostra but havent been in the limelight like CN.

I"m not sure what technical categorization this article is referring to but obviously the Italian government and law enforcement has long been aware of, and recognized, the Ndrangheta as an organized crime group similar to the Cosa Nostra. The comments about new info coming to light in 2010 dealt with the organizational make up of the Ndrngheta and how it was more hierarchical than previously thought.
Amershire_Ed wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:24 pm The Duisburg Massacre was July of 2007. That’s what essentially made them a household name in Europe and worldwide. One of the BBC reporters than has reported on Ndrangheta said most Italians didn’t even know how to pronounce the name at that point, let alone knew who they were. The government knew who they were but they weren’t in the collective conscious of the Italian people yet. Not like Cosa Nostra.
I'm not sure the Ndrangheta is a household name like the Mafia. The 2007 shootings in Germany certainly put a spotlight on them but the idea that it's existence was some revelation to the Italian government or Italian people just isn't true.

Can you share any knowledge of the Sacra Corona Unita?
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

srg16 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:58 amCan you share any knowledge of the Sacra Corona Unita?
Check out this report below -

https://www.europol.europa.eu/sites/def ... ersion.pdf

One of the better articles on the Italian syndicates -

https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/italian-mafia ... ta-1500221