Stefanelli

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

B.
Men Of Mayhem

Re: Stefanelli

Post by B. »

johnny_scootch wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:48 am
B. wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:38 am Stefanelli says Nick Corozzo was the one running things at one point.
Looks like it wasn't just a rumor Nicky started himself and the people saying he was the boss at some point (including myself) weren't necessarily wrong but we weren't totally right either as he wasn't official, so it can be argued both ways.

Thank you for that breakdown, I got a headache trying to read that fucking transcript.
Licata's comment suggests DiMaria was heavily influencing the family, too, at some point before he went to prison. Stefanelli's comments also indicate John Gambino was going to remain a leader of the family indefinitely and that his power was pretty much absolute.

It also sounds like DiMaria brought Stefanelli over to the Corozzo crew. Between that, Corozzo controlling an NJ carpenters union, and Corozzo recruiting Joe Vollaro (originally from NJ), that group seems to have had a fairly strong interest in NJ during the first decade of the 2000s.
Ivan
Full Patched

Post by Ivan »

Thanks for the Cliff's Notes, B. Very helpful (all I do is work now so there's no way in hell I could read the whole transcript).
EYYYY ALL YOU CHOOCHES OUT THERE IT'S THE KID
Fughedaboutit
Full Patched

Post by Fughedaboutit »

B. wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:36 pm What got me is how knowledgeable Stefanelli was. He had a lot of info on Philly, Jersey, and NYC history, had met a ton of people in prison and comes across very sharp. Granted he was cooperating and trying to get conversations going, but it's clear the knowledge was there.

It's unbelievable how much Licata gossips on these transcripts. I know these aren't the full transcripts of the dinner, but he volunteers all kinds of "need to know" information on the Philly organization to the Gambino members and while the Gambino guys are polite, they seem to offer relatively little in return about their own organization aside from Stefanelli (who had a reason to volunteer info).
Yeah it was pretty shocking to see how loose lipped Scoops was here. Seems like he was trying to impress them or something. The modern day Quack Quack? lol
"I wanna hear some noise." "Tell Salvie to clean the boat, the whole boat top to bottom" -Nicodemo "Nicky" Scarfo Sr"
mafiastudent
Full Patched

Post by mafiastudent »

B. I just wanted to say thanks for putting this together. It makes a whole lot more sense now in terms of context.
outfit guy
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by outfit guy »

The Tony is Tony Proto.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

outfit guy wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:57 pm The Tony is Tony Proto.
That's who I figured. Any idea who "Silvio" and "Nino" are? Sounds like they are with the Gambino family in NJ.
TommyGambino
Full Patched

Post by TommyGambino »

So John Gambino had final say?
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

TommyGambino wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:15 am So John Gambino had final say?
Been telling people this for years now....
JohnnyS
Full Patched

Post by JohnnyS »

B. wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:38 am No problem.

Big points I got from this:

- Philadelphia members have been in regular contact with many NYC guys. Both Philly and the Gambinos were very familiar with each others' members and activities, with some of these guys already having met multiple times before this. Would be interesting to know more about Massimino's involvement with the Genovese family which Ligambi didn't want to involve himself in.

- The Gambinos still had heavy union influence in New Jersey at this point.

- The amount of networking that goes on in prison is huge and creates a lot of close bonds between members of different families. Not a surprise, but interesting to see it play out here in dialogue.

- Nick Corozzo and Lenny DiMaria were heavily influential within the Gambino leadership, to the point that Licata felt they would be a factor in the administration after their release from prison. Stefanelli says Nick Corozzo was the one running things at one point.

- According to Stefanelli, it was Nick Corozzo who stood up for the Philadelphia family and got them recognized again by the Gambino family (remember DiLeonardo told us that the Gambinos previously weren't recognizing Philly). We can see that the Corozzo crew was very close to Philly, with Blaise's granddaughter marrying Esposito and their crew members meeting with Philly guys at various events.

- From Stefanelli and Licata's comments, it's clear John Gambino was a first among equals on the triumvirate and they felt he wouldn't lose his position regardless of other admin changes.

- Many guys had a favorable opinion of Scarfo until he transferred his son to another family without permission and started trying to drum up support from Philly members. I found it very interesting that Saul Kane was writing letters to Grande trying to help Scarfo take over again and that they offered Joe Grande the position of captain if he stayed with Scarfo.

- It was Riggi's sons after all who took over the DeCavalcante family after Miranda stepped down and the Riggis were held in horrible disdain by the Philly Newark crew.

- Lorenzo Mannino was clearly a rising star in the Gambino family at this time.

- I'm amazed at how knowledgeable Trucchio was of different people, especially the Philly guys.

- Interesting that Nicky Whip got close to John Alite and Casasanto. Thinking of it now, it must have been John Alite's 3500 material that Trucchio was talking about. It would make sense why he obtained it and why the material talked about Casasanto, Turchi, etc. given Alite knew them.

- Scarfo Jr. was made sometime around or after June 1999. Curious what the story is with Sam Piccolo starting his own crew and it causing problems.
Great write up and that's a good point on DiMaria/Corozzo's influence. It also backs up felice's info on DiMaria having a lot of power and being close to John Gambino. It will be interesting to see what happens with Nick Corozzo and where he falls in the family.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

B. wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:21 pm
johnny_scootch wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:48 am
B. wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:38 am Stefanelli says Nick Corozzo was the one running things at one point.
Looks like it wasn't just a rumor Nicky started himself and the people saying he was the boss at some point (including myself) weren't necessarily wrong but we weren't totally right either as he wasn't official, so it can be argued both ways.

Thank you for that breakdown, I got a headache trying to read that fucking transcript.
Licata's comment suggests DiMaria was heavily influencing the family, too, at some point before he went to prison. Stefanelli's comments also indicate John Gambino was going to remain a leader of the family indefinitely and that his power was pretty much absolute.

It also sounds like DiMaria brought Stefanelli over to the Corozzo crew. Between that, Corozzo controlling an NJ carpenters union, and Corozzo recruiting Joe Vollaro (originally from NJ), that group seems to have had a fairly strong interest in NJ during the first decade of the 2000s.
All this tracks with the photos felice posted, that had DiMaria sitting at the right hand of power at the Gambino bros. table....

Some great work here B.
You got some talent for this stuff...
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

@ JohnnyS

Good post, you beat me to it...
JohnnyS
Full Patched

Post by JohnnyS »

Cabrini, I agree with you on John Gambino. He was the driving force behind the re-structure of the family post 2008 indictments and influenced the decision to fill out the top two positions with Cefalu and Cali. Also its no coincidence to me that once he got sick and passed away his protege Mannino was then talk about as holding one of the top positions.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

I wonder which Gambino-controlled Carpenters local in New Jersey they were referring to? And who are the Romanos that are with the Genovese family?
All roads lead to New York.
IrishDave
Straightened out

Post by IrishDave »

This is a great break down! Thank you.

When did John Riggi' s sons take over the family leadership?
outfit guy
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by outfit guy »

The only Sylvio I'm aware is Genovese. And a lot left out is a Gambino capo that operates out of a chain store on Franklin Ave. in Belleville. This person is not mentioned in these transcripts and Cabert stood down to this person.