The Castellammare del Golfo Cosca - Cosa Nostra’s Gateway to the United States

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

maxiestern11
Full Patched

Re: The Castellammare del Golfo Cosca - Cosa Nostra’s Gateway to the United States

Post by maxiestern11 »

mafiastudent wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:53 pm Good evening everyone.....Maxie doesn't know how to post photos so I'm doing it for him.....along with something he wanted to say about them rather than making two posts......
I felt inspired this evening by this story line.... so I decided to treat the forum to an authentic Sicilian dish my grandmother and mother taught me to make when I was about 11 years old - Bistecca alla Siciliano - Casteddammaresi style.

Here is the finished dish.... It is simple to make and so delicious! ..... I know my grandmother is up there looking down on me with a big smile about now.
I’ll be happy to provide the recipe to anyone who’s interested. Just PM me ok. 👌😎
Bklyn21
Full Patched

Re: The Castellammare del Golfo Cosca - Cosa Nostra’s Gateway to the United States

Post by Bklyn21 »

maxiestern11 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:51 am Today, we’ve just released one of the most extensive and in-depth story lines I ever wrote. A story that is very personal to me. Near and dear to my heart of hearts! I am of Castellammarese heritage and some of the men you will read about are my relatives. The history of the Casteddammaresi “men of honor” and their journey on both sides of the Atlantic...... Enjoy!
Which ones are you related to ? I'm related directly to the Buccellatos, Felice Buccellato is my great grandfather , My grandfather and many others . I'm related to Joe buccellato also who was the one time acting undergoes and Consigliere of the Bonanno family . I have TONS of photos of Buccellatos including Felice , Joe and others going back over 100 years . I need to ask my mother as she has most of them /Basically all of them and when I get a hold of them I'll post
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Bklyn21 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:58 pm
maxiestern11 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:51 am Today, we’ve just released one of the most extensive and in-depth story lines I ever wrote. A story that is very personal to me. Near and dear to my heart of hearts! I am of Castellammarese heritage and some of the men you will read about are my relatives. The history of the Casteddammaresi “men of honor” and their journey on both sides of the Atlantic...... Enjoy!
Which ones are you related to ? I'm related directly to the Buccellatos, Felice Buccellato is my great grandfather , My grandfather and many others . I'm related to Joe buccellato also who was the one time acting undergoes and Consigliere of the Bonanno family . I have TONS of photos of Buccellatos including Felice , Joe and others going back over 100 years . I need to ask my mother as she has most of them /Basically all of them and when I get a hold of them I'll post
There's gonna be a long line of us looking forward to seeing those photos
axx
Straightened out

Post by axx »

maxiestern11 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:49 pm
axx wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:49 am Thanks, interesting read as always.
Bonanno built his family around his own compatriots, no doubt to ensure a sense of loyalty, but I guess one of difficulties when dealing with the renegade faction was that DiGregorio was himself - Castellmmaresi :).
I agree. And to be truthful, I think Bonanno became a little too full of himself toward the end. And did not show proper respect to his capi and soldati. Allowing his idiot son to leapfrog over loyal (and capable) men who’d put in decades on the front lines. Imagine the nerve, and sheer stupidity, to try and elevate some asshole college kid who wasn’t even raised “on the streets” above seasoned and veteran mafiosi? .... to be consigliere no less! It’s comical!

And that was not all. He was a very, very, very cheap guy. Capo di decina who’d been with him for decades were scraping a living (not all, but many). And the rank and file? Worse! .... so we saw the result right?
The family must have been crumbling before the split, the other faction just waited for the right time. I mean you don't just lose half the family over night. Unlike some other bosses who despite their nepotism kept things in check Joe dropped his guard.
Bklyn21
Full Patched

Post by Bklyn21 »

Antiliar wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:09 am
There's gonna be a long line of us looking forward to seeing those photos
I know that antilliar 100% ! I'll get on it in the next few weeks as my mother isn't the easiest person to deal with lol . But I do know she has boxes full of photos from family gatherings, Weddings etc. I had a few in my place I need to find as well with my grandfather and I think it was his father Felice or Francesco in the beginning of WW2 visiting while stationed in Italy on the island of Sicily. Some of the others are so old about 100 years or so that I have to ask her who's who there's so many pple in them taken at weddings etc. Gimme some time I'll get a hold of them
Bklyn21
Full Patched

Post by Bklyn21 »

I think I have some Of Joe also but I remember there were always some type of feud going on amongst family members and I know my grandfather and him and a few others weren't speaking to each other on and off for years at a time
Bklyn21
Full Patched

Post by Bklyn21 »

I remember being told many years ago in some of the photos were Valenti's who there were many more than we know or hear about , Those Valenti's who were intertwined and connected and related to the Asaro's
Bklyn21
Full Patched

Post by Bklyn21 »

But like I said gimme some time and get a hold of a bunch
maxiestern11
Full Patched

Post by maxiestern11 »

Well, I can say this. If you are related to Felice and Francesco Buccellato, our families were close. My great grandfather, great uncle and cousins fought alongside them on both sides of the Atlantic against the Magaddino’s and Bonventre’s. In fact, they all lost their lives along with many Buccellato’s in the 1910’s and 1920’s. In Sicily and New York.... but they did a lot of damage too! Lol... It was not one-sided affair believe me.
maxiestern11
Full Patched

Post by maxiestern11 »

And of course it would be interesting if you are able to dig those old photos.
maxiestern11
Full Patched

Post by maxiestern11 »

axx wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:24 am
maxiestern11 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:49 pm
axx wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:49 am Thanks, interesting read as always.
Bonanno built his family around his own compatriots, no doubt to ensure a sense of loyalty, but I guess one of difficulties when dealing with the renegade faction was that DiGregorio was himself - Castellmmaresi :).
I agree. And to be truthful, I think Bonanno became a little too full of himself toward the end. And did not show proper respect to his capi and soldati. Allowing his idiot son to leapfrog over loyal (and capable) men who’d put in decades on the front lines. Imagine the nerve, and sheer stupidity, to try and elevate some asshole college kid who wasn’t even raised “on the streets” above seasoned and veteran mafiosi? .... to be consigliere no less! It’s comical!

And that was not all. He was a very, very, very cheap guy. Capo di decina who’d been with him for decades were scraping a living (not all, but many). And the rank and file? Worse! .... so we saw the result right?
The family must have been crumbling before the split, the other faction just waited for the right time. I mean you don't just lose half the family over night. Unlike some other bosses who despite their nepotism kept things in check Joe dropped his guard.
In truth, most “bosses” are stingy, even today. Especially those old greaseball zips. That’s why when you get a Tommy Lucchese or Frank Costello, they were so loved by their rank and file. Because they were well known to be very generous with the men... often times not even taking a cut or a small one at best. They were loved and respected!

The Bonanno’s were a very cohesive bunch. Believe it or not, more so than many others crews. And the soldiers, because of their dedication, just trudged along one foot in front of the other for decades....

It was Stefano Magaddino, who wanted to usurp Bonanno out of jealousy and a sense of having been disrespected himself that made him whisper in his brother-in-laws ear to not sit still for Bonanno’s tactics and insults. This, and using his influence on the Commission as it’s senior member, whispering to the likes of Gambino and Lucchese that also shifted the winds on Bonanno. After all, they were not in love with Bonanno either, and would of loved to shift the power on the Commission and weaken him.

Once they saw that Bonanno’s own cousin didn’t support him, they schemed to break up the strength of the “Castellammarese factions” which had been the most powerful force in their world for upwards of fifty years.... and they did!

Slowly working Gaspare DiGregorio and a few others (Gaspare was a very good man, but a bit weak upstairs) to revolt. And the results were what we saw with the 1960’s war. They NEVER recovered from that. It was very, very stupid on the part of the Castellammarese. But truthfully, Bonanno was at fault also. Very much!

Gaspare DID deserve the consigliere spot. And several others who had been held down in position and wealth DID deserve to “earn” better. As did many soldiers who had only eked out a living for years, living very modestly. These men had, did, and would risk their lives for Joe Bonanno and their Family. While Bonanno lived in splendor! ...He was a pompous, selfish man. After being at the helm for so long. He thought he was a “Re” or a king.

A perfect example were his own sons. Bill and Joe. You are a fucking multi-multi-multimillionaire. And you allow your loving sons, your own blood, to struggle along to the point that they get arrested for minor, innocuous, embarrassing crimes that tie them up in the courts and send them each to prison for years in Arizona and California, while you sit on your pompous ass watching their destruction without lifting a finger? He was a jerkoff! A masterful powerful jerkoff, but a jerkoff none the less! counting his money and lording it over his children.

And I personally know, were and am dear, dear friends with many of his soldati and men through the years. Men who if I mentioned their names you would know well and imagine them to be millionaires or at least well to do, having been in “the life” for so long...... most of them were broke, or at best earning a living.

.... THAT is the real reason why these Bonanno conflicts happened. And the true reasons why he fell from power.

And Magaddino was no prized package either.... he was another cheap, jealous fuck. (He was instrumental in killing beloved relatives of mine)..... so there you have it. In a nutshell! 😎
axx
Straightened out

Post by axx »

Thanks for clearing this up Maxie.
Not even mentioning his loyal soldier Galante in his book speaks volumes (no doubt he would have been major Bonanno asset during the family turmoil had he been out of prison ).
A shame for Bonanno really, he was one of rare Bosses with a global reach , he had connections from Sicily to Canada, California and Colorado. Contrary to some bosses who never set foot outside NYC.
Had he run his family differently and been less stingy he would be untouchable. Imagine how long he could have reigned.
I still believe despite his numerous blunders and the book fiasco he was still highly respected in his old age.
maxiestern11
Full Patched

Post by maxiestern11 »

axx wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:23 am Thanks for clearing this up Maxie.
Not even mentioning his loyal soldier Galante in his book speaks volumes (no doubt he would have been major Bonanno asset during the family turmoil had he been out of prison ).
A shame for Bonanno really, he was one of rare Bosses with a global reach , he had connections from Sicily to Canada, California and Colorado. Contrary to some bosses who never set foot outside NYC.
Had he run his family differently and been less stingy he would be untouchable. Imagine how long he could have reigned.
I still believe despite his numerous blunders and the book fiasco he was still highly respected in his old age.
Without a doubt. He lived to what? 97? .... with all his marbles. He conceivably could have stayed boss till the end.... and been revered. Instead of a pariah. Which is what he became in his later years..... friends of mine were told they couldn’t even talk or approach him should they ever run into him at anytime. He was to be completely ignored. Like a nonentity. A pariah! And to NOT be treated as a “friend”..... to do differently with result in them being shelved themselves.... period.

What a disgrace for a man who was an “original”. And one of the best at what he did. One of the most highly respected mafioso (before his fall) that ever operated in America.

If you haven’t done so already. I encourage you to visit my website and read the extensive/in-depth biography I created about him. I know you’ll enjoy it very much. Ok

Its within the “Bonanno Family” page link. It explains just how wealthy and influential he was nationwide (as you had touched on earlier). And brings my Castellammare del Golfo story full circle.
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

Your a buccelato??
JimmyB who wrote a book on early detroit mob and real good guy is buccelato. I haven't talked to him in a while. Do you know who I'm talking about?
HANG IT UP NICKY. ITS TIME TO GO HOME.
Bklyn21
Full Patched

Post by Bklyn21 »

maxiestern11 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:15 am
Well, I can say this. If you are related to Felice and Francesco Buccellato, our families were close. My great grandfather, great uncle and cousins fought alongside them on both sides of the Atlantic against the Magaddino’s and Bonventre’s. In fact, they all lost their lives along with many Buccellato’s in the 1910’s and 1920’s. In Sicily and New York.... but they did a lot of damage too! Lol... It was not one-sided affair believe me.
That's why I asked , I usually dont put that out there , My grandfather and others when I was younger would always talk about it , I'll probably be over there in a a week or two I'm gonna see what I can get