If Gotti's own words were enough to put him behind bars fo the rest of his life

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Re: If Gotti's own words were enough to put him behind bars fo the rest of his life

Post by Wiseguy »

CapoDeiCapi wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:55 am
NYNighthawk wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:26 pm Someone on the fed side told me that the vendetta to get Gotti, Sr. was so great - that if Gotti, Sr. himself came to the FBI and said I want to flip - they would have kicked his ass out the door.
THIS was exactly my entire point to my statement/question. They had Gotti by his own words and other things. They in no way needed Gravano to put Gotti away. They could've put Gravano away just as easily and lock up both the Boss and UB of the most powerful family. Instead they wanted/needed to add the insult to injury regardless what serial killer they let loose. I always keep in mind that I may be a bit bias as I'm born and raised in Howard Beach and live down the block. But in this case I honestly feel this was nothing more than a personal vendetta
Gotti had already gotten two acquittals. The feds weren't going to risk a third. They needed someone to clarify and validate what the government recordings. Gravano did that. And, as previously said, helped convict several Gambino captains and top guys in other families as well.
All roads lead to New York.
CapoDeiCapi
Associate

Re: If Gotti's own words were enough to put him behind bars fo the rest of his life

Post by CapoDeiCapi »

Wiseguy wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:06 am
NYNighthawk wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:26 pm Someone on the fed side told me that the vendetta to get Gotti, Sr. was so great - that if Gotti, Sr. himself came to the FBI and said I want to flip - they would have kicked his ass out the door.

THIS was exactly my entire point to my statement/question. They had Gotti by his own words and other things. They in no way needed Gravano to put Gotti away. They could've put Gravano away just as easily and lock up both the Boss and UB of the most powerful family. Instead they wanted/needed to add the insult to injury regardless what serial killer they let loose. I always keep in mind that I may be a bit bias as I'm born and raised in Howard Beach and live down the block. But in this case I honestly feel this was nothing more than a personal vendetta
Gotti had already gotten two acquittals. The feds weren't going to risk a third. They needed someone to clarify and validate what the government recordings. Gravano did that. And, as previously said, helped convict several Gambino captains and top guys in other families as well.
Well this is also true
gohnjotti
Full Patched

Post by gohnjotti »

Also, tapes are very hard to argue without context. It’s not like John Gotti ever specifically said he wanted someone killed, in those words. A guy like Sammy on the stand can give context.
I don't know dick about dick.

http://thecolombomafia.com
CapoDeiCapi
Associate

Post by CapoDeiCapi »

gohnjotti wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:34 am
Also, tapes are very hard to argue without context. It’s not like John Gotti ever specifically said he wanted someone killed, in those words. A guy like Sammy on the stand can give context.
Well actually he did say he wanted someone killed. "....he's going to die because he didn't come when I called. Thats the only reason. He didn't do anything else wrong.'
CapoDeiCapi
Associate

Post by CapoDeiCapi »

He also listed off everyone they already did kill. Most by first and last name
JMAN723
Straightened out

Post by JMAN723 »

CapoDeiCapi wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:39 am
Well actually he did say he wanted someone killed. "....he's going to die because he didn't come when I called. Thats the only reason. He didn't do anything else wrong.'
Yup that was Louis Dibono. In the same tape Gotti referred to him as “Jelly Belly”. He also said “I whacked DiB(Robert DiBernardo). So even if Sammy never turned they were still all screwed. There was no way in hell they were winning that case
CapoDeiCapi
Associate

Post by CapoDeiCapi »

JMAN723 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:42 am
Yup that was Louis Dibono. In the same tape Gotti referred to him as “Jelly Belly”. He also said “I whacked DiB(Robert DiBernardo). So even if Sammy never turned they were still all screwed. There was no way in hell they were winning that case
exactly. So there's either something we don't know (although highly unlikely as it is now almost all public record), or Sammy was used 'STRICTLY for the feds amusement and personal gain. With that in itself is a crime.
TommyNoto
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by TommyNoto »

Geez these quotes really do emphasize how careless JG was

I once read they held those meetings in the apt during the winter as JG felt it was too cold out for the walks talks. Almost unbelievable if true opening up the entire family operation cuz of a minor discomfort lol

The guy was strong and 100% Cosa Nostra but Boss was just too big for him mentally . A tough soldier but no general or a general that leads his guys to certain death .
JMAN723
Straightened out

Post by JMAN723 »

TommyNoto wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:55 pm

I once read they held those meetings in the apt during the winter as JG felt it was too cold out for the walks talks. Almost unbelievable if true opening up the entire family operation cuz of a minor discomfort lol

The guy was strong and 100% Cosa Nostra but Boss was just too big for him mentally . A tough soldier but no general or a general that leads his guys to certain death .

Agreed. Frank Decicco should have been boss like most of the family wanted. Gotti is lucky Decicco got killed otherwise he would have taken over one way or another
bronx
Full Patched

Post by bronx »

Tommy..no question JG was a real gangster..died a brutal death..he gave a made guys wife a baby, his whole crew dealt drugs, killed the boss without permission to cover it up.broke any rule of cosa nostra to satisfy his ego and wants..not a true cosa rostra guy, a gangster non the less..dellacroce was true to the bone cosa nostra
TommyNoto
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by TommyNoto »

bronx wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:50 pm Tommy..no question JG was a real gangster..died a brutal death..he gave a made guys wife a baby, his whole crew dealt drugs, killed the boss without permission to cover it up.broke any rule of cosa nostra to satisfy his ego and wants..not a true cosa rostra guy, a gangster non the less..dellacroce was true to the bone cosa nostra
Agree but almost everyone breaks the rules , that’s the funny part IMO
TallGuy19
Full Patched

Post by TallGuy19 »

JMAN723 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:01 pm

Agreed. Frank Decicco should have been boss like most of the family wanted. Gotti is lucky Decicco got killed otherwise he would have taken over one way or another
I remember reading somewhere that Gravano and Decicco had an agreement that they would allow Gotti to run the family for 1 year, and if he didn't work out they would kill him and take over as boss and underboss.
"A thug changes, and love changes, and best friends become strangers. Word up."
JohnnyS
Full Patched

Post by JohnnyS »

TallGuy19 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:54 am

I remember reading somewhere that Gravano and Decicco had an agreement that they would allow Gotti to run the family for 1 year, and if he didn't work out they would kill him and take over as boss and underboss.
That's what Gravano said after he flipped. DeCicco told Gravano days before they killed Castellano that he couldn't be boss because Gotti's ego wouldn't let it happen. He's got a point there if DeCicco wanted to be boss Gotti would have to be taken out along with Castellano.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

JohnnyS wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:37 pm
TallGuy19 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:54 am

That's what Gravano said after he flipped. DeCicco told Gravano days before they killed Castellano that he couldn't be boss because Gotti's ego wouldn't let it happen. He's got a point there if DeCicco wanted to be boss Gotti would have to be taken out along with Castellano.
If memory serves, according to Gravano, his and Locascio's plot to kill Gotti came after the orange incident while they were in jail. Their plan was to have a party if/after they were acquitted and kill Gotti then. There was no waiting a year. It seems they both had enough of him by that point.
All roads lead to New York.
Bruno187
Straightened out

Post by Bruno187 »

TommyNoto wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:02 pm
bronx wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:50 pm Tommy..no question JG was a real gangster..died a brutal death..he gave a made guys wife a baby, his whole crew dealt drugs, killed the boss without permission to cover it up.broke any rule of cosa nostra to satisfy his ego and wants..not a true cosa rostra guy, a gangster non the less..dellacroce was true to the bone cosa nostra
Agree but almost everyone breaks the rules , that’s the funny part IMO
Not to the extent that JG did. He had NO business being a boss.
When you look back at the guys that came before him, and how serious they were....there was a real level of commitment and discipline to living the life. These guys quite literally DID NOT FUCK AROUND. I remember when I was a kid, an up and coming guy who was eventually going to get made, horsing around with the rank and file, and Papa Dave Amodeo pulled him on the side and gave him a stern talking to. Not to "fraternize" with the knuckleheads, and carry yourself a certain way if you're going to be "with" them.
Those old timers had much more discipline and saw the rules as a way of life, not just an option to follow when they felt like it, like JG.