Any Questions for Chicago Frank Calabrese Jr.?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Villain
Filthy Few

Re: Any Questions for Chicago Frank Calabrese Jr.?

Post by Villain »

Frank wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:37 pm When It comes to Ferriola, I always consider a newspaper article I read a couple of years ago. It was from about 78-79. It states that Cerone promoted Ferriola to a position of overseeing all Outfit gambling, making him the # 3 man in the Outfit.Aiuppa was out of action dealing with old age problems.
According to different sources from that same time period, there was allegedly some rivalry between Ferriola and LaPietra or maybe Ferriola was in some sort of trouble with the top admin or something like that...you see, previously Torello inherited the old and quite large Buccieri crew which was in charge of Cicero, South Side, parts from the West and North Side areas and also Chinatown, thus giving Torello the status of a major capo. It seems that by 1977 the old South Side Mob was finished and so the less powerful old time boss of Chinatown, Frank Caruso took a step back or retired and so Torello's crew members the LaPietra bros took over the area and absorbed Caruso's remaining members, while Torello's top lieutenant Ferriola remained in Cicero and around the South Side.

So when Torello died in 1979, story goes that his rightful successor Ferriola was pushed down or demoted by the top admin for some unknown reasons (unsanctioned murder maybe?) and they gave LaPietra the job as the boss of Chinatown and whole South Side. Previously the LaPietra bros also had their headquarters and interests in Cicero and so it is possible that Angelo took the position of the late Torrelo as major capo and Ferriola fell under him as a crew or a district boss in Cicero OR became a separate crew...

When Angelo got indicted in 1983/84, thats when Ferriola became the top guy of the old Buccieri/Torello crew (remember the pic with Carlisi from the mid 80s), and so from that point on Angelo's brother Jimmy either acted as separate capo of the Chinatown area OR he simply fell under or was represented by Ferriola which is again quite questionable situation but who knows...after all Chinatown's Monteleone later inherited all of the areas which were previously controlled by the old Torello crew, including the long time desired Heights area (after the imprisonment of Palermo, Guzzino and Morgano the old Heights crew was finished forever), and so later he became the top guy, just saying... so maybe they still continued to operate as one large group for at least some time, meaning the Cicero and Chinatown crews, but right now we are still collecting evidences to back this up...Petes example on Nick Ferriola and Frank Sr is also a good one...

Also Pete is right again since even though Aiuppa had many health problems and stayed in many hospitals during his reign as boss of the Outfit, still he never relinquished his power and guys like Alex's brother Sam or Ortenzi, Carlisi and Buonomo, all acted as his personal messengers between him, Cerone, Accardo and Alex...
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

Villain wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:01 am
Frank wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:37 pm When It comes to Ferriola, I always consider a newspaper article I read a couple of years ago. It was from about 78-79. It states that Cerone promoted Ferriola to a position of overseeing all Outfit gambling, making him the # 3 man in the Outfit.Aiuppa was out of action dealing with old age problems.
According to different sources from that same time period, there was allegedly some rivalry between Ferriola and LaPietra or maybe Ferriola was in some sort of trouble with the top admin or something like that...you see, previously Torello inherited the old and quite large Buccieri crew which was in charge of Cicero, South Side, parts from the West and North Side areas and also Chinatown, thus giving Torello the status of a major capo. It seems that by 1977 the old South Side Mob was finished and so the less powerful old time boss of Chinatown, Frank Caruso took a step back or retired and so Torello's crew members the LaPietra bros took over the area and absorbed Caruso's remaining members, while Torello's top lieutenant Ferriola remained in Cicero and around the South Side.

So when Torello died in 1979, story goes that his rightful successor Ferriola was pushed down or demoted by the top admin for some unknown reasons (unsanctioned murder maybe?) and they gave LaPietra the job as the boss of Chinatown and whole South Side. Previously the LaPietra bros also had their headquarters and interests in Cicero and so it is possible that Angelo took the position of the late Torrelo as major capo and Ferriola fell under him as a crew or a district boss in Cicero OR became a separate crew...

When Angelo got indicted in 1983/84, thats when Ferriola became the top guy of the old Buccieri/Torello crew (remember the pic with Carlisi from the mid 80s), and so from that point on Angelo's brother Jimmy either acted as separate capo of the Chinatown area OR he simply fell under or was represented by Ferriola which is again quite questionable situation but who knows...after all Chinatown's Monteleone later inherited all of the areas which were previously controlled by the old Torello crew, including the long time desired Heights area (after the imprisonment of Palermo, Guzzino and Morgano the old Heights crew was finished forever), and so later he became the top guy, just saying... so maybe they still continued to operate as one large group for at least some time, meaning the Cicero and Chinatown crews, but right now we are still collecting evidences to back this up...Petes example on Nick Ferriola and Frank Sr is also a good one...

Also Pete is right again since even though Aiuppa had many health problems and stayed in many hospitals during his reign as boss of the Outfit, still he never relinquished his power and guys like Alex's brother Sam or Ortenzi and Carlisi, all acted as his personal messengers between him, Cerone, Accardo and Alex...
Ok, didn't know LaPietra succeeded Torello. I had thought he replaced Caruso and parts of Torellos territory, with Ferriola taking the rest. This is probably the time period that Nick Calabrese is remembering when he testified. So LaPietra was actually over Ferriola till 83/84. Now is it possible that when Ferriola was bumped up, he was Toccos superior.??
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Frank wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:52 am
Villain wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:01 am

Also Pete is right again since even though Aiuppa had many health problems and stayed in many hospitals during his reign as boss of the Outfit, still he never relinquished his power and guys like Alex's brother Sam or Ortenzi and Carlisi, all acted as his personal messengers between him, Cerone, Accardo and Alex...
Ok, didn't know LaPietra succeeded Torello. I had thought he replaced Caruso and parts of Torellos territory, with Ferriola taking the rest. This is probably the time period that Nick Calabrese is remembering when he testified. So LaPietra was actually over Ferriola till 83/84. Now is it possible that when Ferriola was bumped up, he was Toccos superior.??
As I previously stated it is quite possible that Angelo took over the old Torello crew but it is also possible that the group split in two separate crews, Cicero and Chinatown and they shared the South Side.

Except for Betty Toccos testimony, theres no other evidence which suggests that Ferriola was Toccos superior, and instead i would say that Ferriola was much more powerful than Tocco and probably had interests in his territory
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Confederate
Full Patched

Post by Confederate »

The only problem with saying that Ferriola & Tocco were both Capos is that one Capo doesn't have the power to kill another Capo. The fear of being killed has to come from someone who is the Boss. Tocco & his wife Betty sounded like they feared Ferriola because he was the Boss & could order their murder. So, who knows? I'm not saying I think he was the Top Boss for a short while. I simply have no idea but I think it should be explored.
Nick Calabrese saying Ferriola was never even a Capo doesn't make any sense. I don't think Nick Calabrese had a great overall knowledge of the Outfit. He seemed to be more of an expert on his own sub crew with his Brother Frank Sr. & of the 26th Street Crew which was only a part of the Outfit (IMO).
" Everything Woke turns to shit".
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

If it was just his wife saying he feared Ferriola, maybe he said to her the boss, and she in her testimony,hearing what everyone at the time thought Ferriola was the boss said Ferriola. Maybe he never told her who the boss was, and she just said Ferriola.
pauliesi
Associate

Post by pauliesi »

Hi

How powerful were Hy Larner and Mike Harari.. Both were in Panama moving outfit money thanks
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

pauliesi wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:17 pm Hi

How powerful were Hy Larner and Mike Harari.. Both were in Panama moving outfit money thanks
You mean Marcell Harrick?!
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Confederate wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:41 pm The only problem with saying that Ferriola & Tocco were both Capos is that one Capo doesn't have the power to kill another Capo. The fear of being killed has to come from someone who is the Boss. Tocco & his wife Betty sounded like they feared Ferriola because he was the Boss & could order their murder. So, who knows? I'm not saying I think he was the Top Boss for a short while. I simply have no idea but I think it should be explored.
Nick Calabrese saying Ferriola was never even a Capo doesn't make any sense. I don't think Nick Calabrese had a great overall knowledge of the Outfit. He seemed to be more of an expert on his own sub crew with his Brother Frank Sr. & of the 26th Street Crew which was only a part of the Outfit (IMO).
Maybe but I also remember one example from the older days or mid 1950s when Battaglia, a younger capo at the time, wanted to go against two older capos such as Roti and Prio for not including him on a deal. So Prio had some kind of muscle while Roti was more of a political force, but the problem was that Battaglia had an army of armed soldiers and so both Roti and Prio became quite frightened and went straight to Accardo who in turn was also behing the so-called betrayal.

This was the time when Ricca and Accardo were in some sort of conflict and so both Prio and Roti were forced to put the blame on their prime enforcers in that same specific racket and later sacrificed them, just to satisfy Battaglia and his crew.

By the mid 1980s Tocco was more inexpirienced and less powerful than the senior Ferriola, so maybe the guy was simply scared for his life since the latter one controlled a large group of killers and also one huge territory, and was also one of the prime money makers, just saying...after all in later years the Cicero and South Side crews absorbed the Heights area

Who knows, maybe Frank is right about Ferriola being above Tocco at least for some short time period lol
pauliesi
Associate

Post by pauliesi »

No I meant Mike Harari.. He was the most dangerous man on earth according to the FBI.. In Panama he took the Outfits money, Mikey Francese sent $4billion to him.. Barry Seal CIA pilot moved billions to him...Freeway Ricky Ross sent his money to Blandon in Nicurauga who worked for Harari... https://stanstasblog.wordpress.com/2016 ... ssination/
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

pauliesi wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:20 pm No I meant Mike Harari.. He was the most dangerous man on earth according to the FBI.. In Panama he took the Outfits money, Mikey Francese sent $4billion to him.. Barry Seal CIA pilot moved billions to him...Freeway Ricky Ross sent his money to Blandon in Nicurauga who worked for Harari... https://stanstasblog.wordpress.com/2016 ... ssination/
$4 billion huh? :roll:
All roads lead to New York.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

pauliesi wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:20 pm No I meant Mike Harari.. He was the most dangerous man on earth according to the FBI.. In Panama he took the Outfits money, Mikey Francese sent $4billion to him.. Barry Seal CIA pilot moved billions to him...Freeway Ricky Ross sent his money to Blandon in Nicurauga who worked for Harari... https://stanstasblog.wordpress.com/2016 ... ssination/
Can you elaborate on he took the Outfits money
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

Frank wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:32 pm If it was just his wife saying he feared Ferriola, maybe he said to her the boss, and she in her testimony,hearing what everyone at the time thought Ferriola was the boss said Ferriola. Maybe he never told her who the boss was, and she just said Ferriola.
Well remember ferriola headed the wild bunch which with the Chinatown crew were the two top hit squads
I agree with phat,I love those old fucks and he's right.we all got some cosa nostra in us.I personnely love the life.I think we on the forum would be the ultimate crew! - camerono
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

Villain wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:15 pm
Frank wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:05 pm
Villain wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:43 am
Pete wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:14 am
Villain wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:59 am I bet he took the job because he either had no choice or was forced. For example, in 1965 when Sam went to prison, story goes that both Battaglia and Alderisio were the main candidates but the problem was that both didnt want the top spot out of obvious reasons. So Battaglia was forced to become the boss and since he previously was Alderisios capo, the latter one became his second in command. Also, Cerone fought half of his career to become the boss but when the real opportunity arrived, story goes that he sat on two chairs, meaning he also began to see the real picture but had no choice and accepted the position.

Same story was with Alex, meaning he wanted to retire from the mob since the late 60s but he was forced to take the positions which were given to him....on top of that, when Carlisi, Marcello and Alex went to jail, the Outfit was still powerful and murderous to an extent...

My personal opinion is that while having DiFronzo as boss or maybe even after his reign, the Elmwood Park crew stopped expanding or closed their books, or maybe even the whole Outfit became closed...just my two cents
I think your 100% right about elm wood park. Even magnafichi said that crew was basically deactivated. That’s why I get a kick about articles saying frat to is the boss of that crew. As far as I know that crew hasn’t existed in some time. From everything I know when he was in prison his son died so when he got out his only goal was to not go back and to raise his grandson John difronzo III. I don’t think difronzo made anyone after the mid 90’s
I agree, Fratto was/is far from a crew boss or a capo and I also think that some of the fellas (obviously not all) began following EP's example but thats another story

Also whats your opinion on Betty Tocco's credibility? Im only asking this because I also agree with you that we dont have to go through the whole Ferriola/Carlisi thing again lol but i thought that someone might put out some new evidences...although as you said Nick already explained it and theres no way that Jr knows more about the situation
Yes I agree about Ferriola not being boss, but not a Capo or area boss, I'm skeptical about that.
Theres no question that Ferriola was a major crew boss. Cicero, the whole South Side, and also interests in both North Side and Heights areas

On top of that we also have a photo of him and his second in command Infelice together with Carlisi and his capo Marcello...i think that same pic means something...
Ferriola in the 80’s was in charge of lake county even moving up there and living in killdeer. Solly d and Louie Marino ran lake county reporting to infelise who reported to ferriola. For a reference killdeer is about an hour drive from Cicero so I doubt he would move out there if he was running Cicero. I will certainly agree his role at various times has been very confusing
I agree with phat,I love those old fucks and he's right.we all got some cosa nostra in us.I personnely love the life.I think we on the forum would be the ultimate crew! - camerono
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

Wiseguy wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:01 pm
Don’t always be so skeptical wiseguy it sounds completely realistic
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

Pete wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:05 pm
Wiseguy wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:01 pm
Don’t always be so skeptical wiseguy it sounds completely realistic
Yeah, totally realistic...