Any Questions for Chicago Frank Calabrese Jr.?

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Pete
Full Patched

Re: Any Questions for Chicago Frank Calabrese Jr.?

Post by Pete »

Villain wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:59 am I bet he took the job because he either had no choice or was forced. For example, in 1965 when Sam went to prison, story goes that both Battaglia and Alderisio were the main candidates but the problem was that both didnt want the top spot out of obvious reasons. So Battaglia was forced to become the boss and since he previously was Alderisios capo, the latter one became his second in command. Also, Cerone fought half of his career to become the boss but when the real opportunity arrived, story goes that he sat on two chairs, meaning he also began to see the real picture but had no choice and accepted the position.

Same story was with Alex, meaning he wanted to retire from the mob since the late 60s but he was forced to take the positions which were given to him....on top of that, when Carlisi, Marcello and Alex went to jail, the Outfit was still powerful and murderous to an extent...

My personal opinion is that while having DiFronzo as boss or maybe even after his reign, the Elmwood Park crew stopped expanding or closed their books, or maybe even the whole Outfit became closed...just my two cents
I think your 100% right about elm wood park. Even magnafichi said that crew was basically deactivated. That’s why I get a kick about articles saying frat to is the boss of that crew. As far as I know that crew hasn’t existed in some time. From everything I know when he was in prison his son died so when he got out his only goal was to not go back and to raise his grandson John difronzo III. I don’t think difronzo made anyone after the mid 90’s
I agree with phat,I love those old fucks and he's right.we all got some cosa nostra in us.I personnely love the life.I think we on the forum would be the ultimate crew! - camerono
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Pete wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:14 am
Villain wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:59 am I bet he took the job because he either had no choice or was forced. For example, in 1965 when Sam went to prison, story goes that both Battaglia and Alderisio were the main candidates but the problem was that both didnt want the top spot out of obvious reasons. So Battaglia was forced to become the boss and since he previously was Alderisios capo, the latter one became his second in command. Also, Cerone fought half of his career to become the boss but when the real opportunity arrived, story goes that he sat on two chairs, meaning he also began to see the real picture but had no choice and accepted the position.

Same story was with Alex, meaning he wanted to retire from the mob since the late 60s but he was forced to take the positions which were given to him....on top of that, when Carlisi, Marcello and Alex went to jail, the Outfit was still powerful and murderous to an extent...

My personal opinion is that while having DiFronzo as boss or maybe even after his reign, the Elmwood Park crew stopped expanding or closed their books, or maybe even the whole Outfit became closed...just my two cents
I think your 100% right about elm wood park. Even magnafichi said that crew was basically deactivated. That’s why I get a kick about articles saying frat to is the boss of that crew. As far as I know that crew hasn’t existed in some time. From everything I know when he was in prison his son died so when he got out his only goal was to not go back and to raise his grandson John difronzo III. I don’t think difronzo made anyone after the mid 90’s
I agree, Fratto was/is far from a crew boss or a capo and I also think that some of the fellas (obviously not all) began following EP's example but thats another story

Also whats your opinion on Betty Tocco's credibility? Im only asking this because I also agree with you that we dont have to go through the whole Ferriola/Carlisi thing again lol but i thought that someone might put out some new evidences...although as you said Nick already explained it and theres no way that Jr knows more about the situation
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

Villain wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:43 am

I agree, Fratto was/is far from a crew boss or a capo and I also think that some of the fellas (obviously not all) began following EP's example but thats another story

Also whats your opinion on Betty Tocco's credibility? Im only asking this because I also agree with you that we dont have to go through the whole Ferriola/Carlisi thing again lol but i thought that someone might put out some new evidences...although as you said Nick already explained it and theres no way that Jr knows more about the situation
Yes I agree about Ferriola not being boss, but not a Capo or area boss, I'm skeptical about that. Maybe Jr might have information that his dad gave him. But the questions I have is basically, and I think we all agree, about the Administration in the 90s and early 2000s is somewhat confusing at times about who is what. You have Sr saying Flapjacks is boss, but doesn't Jr say Monteleone was boss around the same period. Another question is did Carlisi remain a boss till death, with just an acting or was he just acting for Aiuppa.
Antiliar
Full Patched

Post by Antiliar »

I think what Frank can answer is either from his personal experience, what his father told him, what his uncle told him, and from reading books and newspapers. Since he wasn't made he wasn't in the loop. Most of that info is already in his book. He might not have much to say about DiFronzo since he probably never met him (or if so, only briefly), and his father and uncle don't seem to have said much about him. Any stuff since Family Secrets would probably be guesswork. So everyone should probably keep their expectations low.
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Frank wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:05 pm

Yes I agree about Ferriola not being boss, but not a Capo or area boss, I'm skeptical about that.
Theres no question that Ferriola was a major crew boss. Cicero, the whole South Side, and also interests in both North Side and Heights areas

On top of that we also have a photo of him and his second in command Infelice together with Carlisi and his capo Marcello...i think that same pic means something...
Last edited by Villain on Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Do not be deceived, neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God - Corinthians 6:9-10
Villain
Filthy Few

Post by Villain »

Antiliar wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:12 pm I think what Frank can answer is either from his personal experience, what his father told him, what his uncle told him, and from reading books and newspapers. Since he wasn't made he wasn't in the loop. Most of that info is already in his book. He might not have much to say about DiFronzo since he probably never met him (or if so, only briefly), and his father and uncle don't seem to have said much about him. Any stuff since Family Secrets would probably be guesswork. So everyone should probably keep their expectations low.
I completely agree
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

I never saw Betty identify ferriola as the boss just that he was scared of him etc. ferriola was. A killer so she could be completely telling the truth but that doesn’t make him boss. Obviously he had a lot of juice and the whole thing is confusing
I agree with phat,I love those old fucks and he's right.we all got some cosa nostra in us.I personnely love the life.I think we on the forum would be the ultimate crew! - camerono
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

When It comes to Ferriola, I always consider a newspaper article I read a couple of years ago. It was from about 78-79. It states that Cerone promoted Ferriola to a position of overseeing all Outfit gambling, making him the # 3 man in the Outfit.Aiuppa was out of action dealing with old age problems.
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

Frank wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:37 pm When It comes to Ferriola, I always consider a newspaper article I read a couple of years ago. It was from about 78-79. It states that Cerone promoted Ferriola to a position of overseeing all Outfit gambling, making him the # 3 man in the Outfit.Aiuppa was out of action dealing with old age problems.
Aiuppa was definitely not out of action in 78-79. He was in all the way till he got convicted in 86
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

Pete wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:18 pm
Frank wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:37 pm When It comes to Ferriola, I always consider a newspaper article I read a couple of years ago. It was from about 78-79. It states that Cerone promoted Ferriola to a position of overseeing all Outfit gambling, making him the # 3 man in the Outfit.Aiuppa was out of action dealing with old age problems.
Aiuppa was definitely not out of action in 78-79. He was in all the way till he got convicted in 86
It says he was recovering and temporarily out..The article definitely might not be totally accurate, the promotion could have ultimately been pushed through by Accardo. But it does come at a time when he replaced Torello, so they might have had what he was promoted to wrong. But also remember Ferriola had Don The Wizzard of Odds and some other gambling Leutenents under him
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

Another question. There was talk that there was tension between DiFronzo and Andriacchi after DiFronzo was released from prison. Also talk of tension between Monteleone and Andriacchi.
Frank
Full Patched

Post by Frank »

If he has the answer to a couple of questions that would be great.
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

Anyone ever reached out and asked if he would come on the board for a q&a?
NothingNew44
Straightened out

Post by NothingNew44 »

In a recent news interview he says recruitment became hard over the years. Did this affect members decisions to push their own blood family towards a criminal life? In his book he says Outfit members were expected not to bring their children into that life. What was his interaction and opinion of Nick Ferriola?
Pete
Full Patched

Post by Pete »

NothingNew44 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:41 pm In a recent news interview he says recruitment became hard over the years. Did this affect members decisions to push their own blood family towards a criminal life? In his book he says Outfit members were expected not to bring their children into that life. What was his interaction and opinion of Nick Ferriola?
If you read his book he talks a little about Nick ferriola basically saying he was shocked frank sr brought him into the life. Apparently frank sr was his godfather which surprised me because even tho their houses were half a block away from each other I never heard of sr and ferriola being that close. Angelo lapietra said sr bringing jr and Kurt into the life was a cardinal sin that should have been handled. Monteleone even gave nick permission to kill sr when nick went to monteleone and complained about sr bringing his kids into the life monteleone said what are you telling me for? Nick replies cuz your the boss. Then monteleone handed nick a pistol and said this is the best I can do. Basically if you have a problem here’s. A gun go handle it. Most outfit guys kids were completely legit but benefited from their family. Take John difronzo iii never involved in anything good upstanding citizen but the kid has millions from his grandpa. Only person I knew that had a half million dollar house at the age of 22