General Mob Questions

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

Dwalin2014
Sergeant Of Arms

Re: General Mob Questions

Post by Dwalin2014 »

So Tieri didn't want Bruno dead for a specific reason, but just used his murder as means to blame Caponigro as his final goal?
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Dwalin2014 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:30 pm So Tieri didn't want Bruno dead for a specific reason, but just used his murder as means to blame Caponigro as his final goal?

Yeah Tieri was setting up Caponigro when he gave him the OK. Bruno was just collateral damage in Tieri's scheme to eliminate his rival Caponigro.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
bert
Full Patched

Post by bert »

I never bought the story of Tieri setting him up. To me it sounds like Tieri told him to do what he wanted, meaning do it or don't, up to you.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Leonetti said it was Manna, Gigante, and Tieri behind the scheme. Along with taking out Caponigro because of the dispute with Tieri over the NJ bookmaking operation (which the Gambino family backed Caponigro on), he says there was equal motivation to take out Bruno, as their ally Scarfo would be in control of the hotel union and it would also undercut Castellano's influence and Gambino representation of Philly on the Commission.

Without any high-level sources who were involved in the plot itself, I'm skeptical of anyone's theories and certain rumors have been published so many times that they've been accepted as fact. There is bound to be an element of truth in some of the more common theories, Leonetti's in particular, but I'm still hesitant to say for sure what the story is given the lack of concrete sources and sometimes conflicting info.
maxiestern11
Full Patched

Post by maxiestern11 »

I think it was strictly envy, greed and a jealousy to be the top dogs that created all this turmoil within the Philly crew, plain and simple!
chin_gigante
Full Patched

Post by chin_gigante »

Does anyone know when Philly associate Michael Orlando entered the witness protection programme? I know he started wearing a wire in 2002 and by the time he was called to testify at the Ligambi trial in October 2012 it was reported that he had been off the streets under the protection of the government for almost 10 years at that point. Any info on this would be appreciated. I'm working on a deep dive Philadelphia post from the 1990's on so it'll be relevant to that. Thanks.
'You don't go crucifying people outside a church; not on Good Friday.'
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Dumb question. Is "going to the mattresses" a real mob expression or was it something that Mario Puzo made up for The Godfather? Though the practice of carrying mattresses to various safe houses during times of conflict was a real thing I don't recall if Valachi used it in his description of the Castellammarese War or if any other informant used it when talking about that war or the Gallo-Profaci and Bananna Wars.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:17 am Dumb question. Is "going to the mattresses" a real mob expression or was it something that Mario Puzo made up for The Godfather? Though the practice of carrying mattresses to various safe houses during times of conflict was a real thing I don't recall if Valachi used it in his description of the Castellammarese War or if any other informant used it when talking about that war or the Gallo-Profaci and Bananna Wars.

Pogo
The first time I'm aware of it is Valachi. Both in his testimony and his book he said he was told by his superiors during the Castellammarese War that they would "go to the mattresses." When the chairman asked him about that phrase, Valachi said it came about because they would go from safe house to safe house and take mattresses with them, just like you said.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Thanks B. 8-)

Pogo
JeremyTheJew
Full Patched

Post by JeremyTheJew »

Didn't Joe Bonanno write about it as well??
HANG IT UP NICKY. ITS TIME TO GO HOME.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

He wrote about the practice but I don't recall if ever used the resi on "going to the mattresses."

Pogo
bklynborn1210
Associate

Post by bklynborn1210 »

SonnyBlackstein wrote: Mon May 25, 2015 1:59 am Last forum we had a Sticky 'General Questions' thread. Can I suggest this thread be 'stuck' in order for members to ask questions not warranting a specific thread.

To kick her off with an inane one, but something annoying yours:

What was the situation with moustaches in the 50-70's? I was under the impression wise guys were clean shaven? Yet in both Goodfellas and Mean Streets there are several made guys sporting mo's.
Is the moustache ban a myth?

Cheers.
[the moustache was brought over from Italy back in the day by the black hand they were called (moustache petes) why I have no idea. It was a phrase I heard all the time when I was young. It died out because a lot of cops and other law enforcement agencies wore mustaches. You will never see a wise guy today at least in NY with a moustache or any facial hair for that matter...]
Super
Straightened out

Post by Super »

Any one know who sonny reds capo was?
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Super wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:25 pm Any one know who sonny reds capo was?

Angelo “Moe” Presezano

Pogo
Super
Straightened out

Post by Super »

thanks pogo sonny couldn't of been a soldier for to long before getting upped any info on his and jbs father think he was called tunzio?