Salvatore Profacis (yes, plural)

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

bronx
Full Patched

Re: Salvatore Profacis (yes, plural)

Post by bronx »

Chris Christie wrote:To get a hold on it, it's best to understand the Mafia in Sicily (which you do). The rank and structure are the same. But they were localized groups that ran along important streets. In Palermo there was Passo Di Rigano, Resuttana, San Lorenzo etc all these individual groups situated right alongside each other. But it wasn't a gang thing, as members moved around they still kept their original affiliation. Meaning I could be a member of Falde and live in Acquasanta territory. Many of these group members were connected through intermarriage, associations with other groups across Sicily. They were localized factions of a much larger association, connected to Trapani, interior Palermo province and Agrigento and even abroad.

In NYC, it didn't work like that. There was never "The Harlem Family" or "The Williamsburgh Family." It seems based on regional affiliation that existed prior in Sicily and the groups that settled weren't arranged specifically but a result of chain migration. The Palermitan knew the Palermitan and etc and it congregated along those lines initially. And as these guys settled and carried on The Mafia they recruited first with Sicilian and eventually other Italians in the areas they operated in. So by the end of the 30's you had 5 groups with members and activities scattered across NY and NJ.

Now there's two Palermo expatriates: one is deeply connected to the Mafia in Falde, another one has no connections and is just a common criminal. The guy with Falde connections would be able to have letters sent confirming his connections and he would probably find himself easily accepted as a Gambino apprentice. The other Palermitan with no connections, would have to make his way into it differently. Let's say he lands on E 13 around the Gambinos, Bonannos and Genoveses and he starts working for someone in the Genoveses, he could potentially be made. Vito Cascio Ferro of Bisacquino, a man with long Interior Mafia ties was welcomed into the Genoveses almost immediately. DiLeonardo the grandfather of Micahel, also came from Bisacquino but went with D'Aquila... At the basics, it's who you know. And people from the same town are going to know each other unless someone moved to another city.

Does that make sense in how I explain it?

to bisacquino you can add joe n. gallos father, and the rumore's.
bronx
Full Patched

Post by bronx »

joe triana , went with daqila
bronx
Full Patched

Post by bronx »

add vincenzo corrao. jimmy the blond.to sciacca
Giacomo_Vacari
Straightened out

Post by Giacomo_Vacari »

From my understanding it was other capos in the family that wanted Profaci to become the new boss, as they had enough of Carmine. Sal declined, then Vic Orena was selected and that was the start of the Colombo war in the 1990s. That chart above is good, but it is leaving 30 to 40 top Palermo guys out of it.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Just a random note I came across...

In 1977, a sitdown was held between Whitey Danzo and Bobby Occhipinti over a labor dispute between Occhipinti and Danzo's man Frank LaVecchia. Salvatore J. Profaci served as the mediator and settled in Danzo's favor. What makes it confusing is that Danzo's daughter was married to Salvatore "Fat Sal" Profaci Jr., who would die a year later, but he wasn't the one who mediated the dispute, it was his cousin Sal Profaci, son of Joseph. Also strange that a Colombo member would mediate an internal dispute involving the DeCavalcante family.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Post by Wiseguy »

Chris Christie wrote:He also said NJ was the first American Family.
La Church or something like that? Don't know who or what he was talking about.
All roads lead to New York.
B.
Men Of Mayhem

Post by B. »

Scarpa believed Donnie Shacks was trying to make contact with families in other parts of the country through Sal Profaci. Along with having relatives in Detroit and other places, Profaci was used as a messenger by the Commission during the problems with Joe Bonanno and likely had met a number of members from around the country given that he was made in the 1950s when his father was still the big guy.

I think I've changed my mind on the topic of the #1 person who should write a book... Sal Profaci. He could clear up the history of the Profaci Famiy, the relationship to the Newark family, not to mention everything else that guy absorbed over the years. From the Goodfella tapes he's a well-spoken, smart guy as well. There is no chance he'll write a book, though. Definitely a different breed from the Bonannos in that they only followed the rules when the ruled favored them.